Dedication of Most Holy Name Church
North Side - Pittsburgh
Troy Hill's Catholic Institutions
In the Beginning of this book we started to narrate the history of our church with certain Facts Pertaining to the early Catholicity of this locality and show the gradual Development lending to the formation of the congregation. To complete the history of the Hill's Catholicity, we must devote some space to the institutions of Troy Hill under Catholic auspices.
The Saint Joseph Orphanage
The first of these is the Saint Joseph Orphanage, and institution which, by the nature of its work and its ramifications into many parishes, has spread far and the name of Troy Hill. As its history is interwoven with the Catholicity of these parts, its origin is related with the history of our church, and therefore it is not necessary to repeat, The home is a corporation under the management of a Board of Directors, with the Reverend Louis Woelfel, of Saint Martin Church, West End, as President, and the Reverend Chaplian, Father Charles Wiesmann, as Secretary and Superintendent. The Sisters De Notre Dame are in charge of the children and conduct a regular grade school. At the close of the last fiscal year, December 1, 1927, there were 215 children at the home, and during the year 290 had been cared for.
The Financial support is derived principally from charity, namely, from church collections, the collections of the Filial Societies, and from bequests. An annual picnic is held on Labor Day and nets quite a substantial sum, and in addition to this, a comparatively slight income accrues from families who are able to pay of the children's board. We are proud to state that the Most Holy Name Parish is usually the foremost of the contributing parishes, and also plays a very active part toward the success of the picnic. Last year the parish contributed the some of $780.15, given at a collection taken at Christmas and Easter and $460.70 collected from the member of the Filail Verein, or a total of $1,240.85. At the Labor Day Picnic our ladies assist in the kitchen and members of the parish conduct three stands in the field. The organizations in charge of the stands are the Young Ladies' Sodality, the Most Holy Name Dramatic Club, and the Orphans' Boosters of Most Holy Name Church.
We trust that this whole hearted support of the Orphanage will always continue and that the good that is being accomplished by this intuition will be prolonged, so that we may ever point to Saint Joseph's with true Catholic pride and with the feelings of a real community spirit.
The Home of the Good Shepherd
What is the work of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd? Read this glowing tribute from the pen of Archbishop Gleanon of Saint Louis:
"The infinite pathos of a lost soul, the soul of one who sinks, a victim, when she might be a saint! No, No! Your houses are not reform schools, and least of all for such as they. You have your good name to guard. The women, who, of all others, are more chartable, are sometimes by the very exigency of the case compelled to let pass the enemy-for such they must regard the unconverted Magdalen. Yet for such there is one door open: for such there is one hand offered in helping kindness, with no rod to scourge, no threat to make-a hand not from out of the darkness to drag down to sin, but a hand set in light to lift up and save. There is
I say, just one to offer it, who is doing so fears no the censure of the Pharisee nor the criticism of the world, but who, from out the very soul of the Church itself, white-robed and immaculate, can stoop down to where there is sin and weakness and same and death, and who, remaining still white-robed and immaculate, can draw back to home and hope and happiness those who otherwise were broken and crushed forever.
Need I say that I refer to the white-robed Sister who hears the title that the Good Shepherd gives to those who follow Him, and who as a Sister of the Good Shepherd, will help to guard and defend the flock of Christ? And this in itself is proof of the intrinsic holiness and goodness of the Church that, on the one hand, it can ask in consecration of the souls of those who serve As Sisters of Good Shepherd, and lead and guard them in the way of purity and goodness and holiest living and arm them with a shield of immolate armor, It tells them that, while cultivation those virtues, they shall go out as the Good Shepherd went after the lost sheep of the House of Israel, and , remaining untainted themselves, bring back the tainted ones who have fallen by the way; bring the back in all kindness and mercy and forgiveness, and give them home and hope, and the heritage that awaits those who will follow them in the footsteps of the Good Shepherd."
The Sisters of the Good Shepherd came into this diocese from Buffalo, N.Y., at the request of Bishop Domenee They arrived in Pittsburgh on October 2, 1872, and started the new foundation at the corner of Pride and Bluff Streets, but after two years they decided to move to Troy Hill and bought Property on Lowrie Street from Father Mollinger, The building was a small brick house and was used until 1883, when the present convent was erected. The cornerstone was laid on October 7th, and the dedication was held on September 8, 1885.
Approximately 12,000 children and girls have been cared for by the Sisters, and the number of souls that have been reclaimed from a life of sin and error will be a matter for revelation only on Judgment Day, when full recognition will be given to the sacrifices of these Sisters. Human eyes can not see, nor human intelligence understand the value of a single soul; but the Son of Man shed His most precious Blood for the redemption of souls and therefore it is the work of Christ to labor for their salvation. The Sisters of the Good Shepherd are true to the name they hear, and to the Sacred Heart of Jesus alone is known the number of Mary Magdlens who have changed from shameful lives through their gentle care and efforts. Their homes are necessary institutions of the Saving Church of Christ. What would we do without them?
The spiritual care of the Troy Hill institution is in charge of the clergy of the Most Holy Name Church. The institution cares for and average number of 225 girls who divided into several chasses, known as the Consecrated Class, the Notre Dame Class, and Saint Joseph's Class. There are 41 Professed Sister, 3 Novices, and one Postulant.
The De Paul Institute
An important institution for the diocese is the Catholic School for the Deaf, known ad the De Paul Institute. As this school was cradled and nurtured on Troy Hill, until its expansion required more spacious grounds, we cannot fail to recognize it as our own. The following brief history, submitted by a Sister in charge, will be on interest:
"Bishop Canevin leased the 'Lappe Home' on Lowrie Street, Troy Hill, and on August 22, 1908 four Sisters of Charity from Seton Hill, Greensburg, came to prepare for the opening of the Catholic School for the Deaf-it was known as 'The Pittsburgh School for the Deaf.'
"The school was opened on Monday, September 7, 1908, with one pupil from
Coraopolis. The following morning brought a young lady form Main Street, North Side, and on Thursday another came from the West End. The first week closed with and enrollment of three pupils.
"The Sisters and pupils went to the Church of the Holy Name for Mass and devotions and received every possible attention and kindness from the pastor, Reverend M. F. Mueller, and his assistants. Reverend H. J. Killmeyer and Reverend A.C. Angel and the large-hearted, devoted people of the parish.
"The first Mass in the Chapel of the Institution was said December 15,1908, by Reverend Father T.F.Coakley, who came over once every week from the Cathedral to say Mass. In February, 1910, the priests from Holy Name Church were appointed to say Mass at the school.
"Before the end of 1909 the school on Troy Hill had outgrown its temporary home on Lowrie Street, In 1910, the erection of a three story building was begun in Brookline.
"On December 31, 1910, a charter was granted by which the school was incorporated as the De Paul Instituted of the Deaf, by which name the school has since been know.
"During the Easter vacation of 1911, while the pupils were at their homes, the Sisters bade farewell to Troy Hill, bearing with them happy grateful recollections of three blessed and fruitful years of labor upon that mount for God and humanity.
"The one pupil of September 7, 1908, had increased to forty by April, 1911, and by June, 1927, had reached one hundred and thirty-two."
--Sr. M. A. McL.,
Read Next Section
Back to Most Holy Name 60th Anniversary Index Page
A Project of the Allegheny County, PA USGenWeb Archives
Contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by: Linda Braund, Toni Carnahan, Jamie Danker, Margaret DeFazio, Joseph Gartner, Carol Harris, Paul Hepp, Schannon McCloud, Rebecca Miller, Char Miller-Jones, and Pat Stough .
Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved.
Allegheny County, PA - USGenWeb Archives - Church Records
Allegheny County, PA - USGenWeb Archives