of the

Dedication of Most Holy Name Church

Troy Hill

North Side - Pittsburgh


1868                                             1928

Most Holy Name School

As was stated in a previous chapter, Most Holy Name Church had its school within three months after its dedication. A lay teacher was engaged to conduct the small class of about thirty children, and we may hardly suppose that either the aspirations or the abilities of both dominie and scholars extended much beyond the proverbial “Three R’s” plus the addition of religion which was imparted by the Pastor himself. The course in Catechism was indeed very important and the daily instructions were supplemented by the Sunday School, which always lasted one solid hour. The children were under the strictest obligation to attend the Sunday afternoon instructions and woe betide the one who would absent himself without the gravest reasons! Neither did the children expect their dismissal when the clock struck the hour, for then began the Vespers of whatever devotions the Pastor had on schedule. This consumed another half hour and then Benediction was given with the Blessed Sacrament. If the children, therefore, regained their freedom in less time than one hour and a half, they might have regarded themselves as enjoying a special holiday. And, mark you, too, the Sunday School class was attended not only by the small children, but by the young men and young ladies of the parish until they attained the age of eighteen years. Father Mollinger followed this rule and order during all the years of his pastorate.

Lay teachers taught the school for a period of ten years until the Sisters de Notre Dame took complete charge. The men engaged during this time were Mr. Young, Mr. Joseph Duwell, Mr. John Heckman, and Mr Joseph Knollinger. Of these, the last named served the longest, and when his teaching career was ended he secured the position of organist and choir director. The Sisters began to teach in 1875, but had only girls under their tutorship. Three nuns came each day from the Saint Joseph Orphanage: an arrangement, of course, which was not very satisfactory, but adhered to, nevertheless, until housing accommodations were provided. After the new pastoral residence was completed in 1877 the old dwelling was converted for the use of the Sisters, but they did not take occupancy until the following year.

In September, 1878, Sister M. Zita, with two Sisters, one a teacher and the other a cook, arrived to take complete charge of conducting the school, both of the boys and of he girls. At this time there was an enrollment of 160 children - 82 boys and 78 girls. The two teachers managed the classes for one year, after which another Sister was joined to the Community and a third class was opened. Quite naturally, the school prospered under the gentle and efficient card of the Sisters. The children showed a marked improvement in the proficiency of their studies and in the thoroughness of their training, but furthermore nothing occurred that is of note or importance under the light of history, other than the opening of the fourth class room in 1884 and the enlarging of the school building in 1888.


[Sister M. Bernwarda]



[Most Holy Name School of 1875]


Before the time when the addition of the L was built a Sister arrived who deserves more than a passing notice for the very faithful service she rendered to Most Holy Name School during a period of more than forty years. This is Sister M. Bernwarda, who came to Troy Hill two days before Christmas in the year 1881 and who has been with us ever since, actively engaged in her noble work until a few years ago, when she was permitted to retire from the teaching staff. In her day, Sister Bernwarda taught thousands of children and completed her career as a teacher by having under her care some grandchildren of the ones she taught in ‘81. Who knows how many a time she may have said to herself, “these little ones are just like their fathers and grandfathers,” and perhaps even grandma was brought into the comparison? “Back in the eighties” she may have regarded these now worthy sires as potential cherubs by reason of their aptitude for study and their promptitude in exhibiting the virtues of children: or she may have frowned upon them as upon singed-winged angels on account of their pranks and tricks! Sister Bernwarda is a noble soul - known, loved and respected by all - and there is not a person in the parish who is not glad to see her still with us. We hope and pray that she will remain wit us for many more years, and that she will enjoy the decline of life in the peace and happiness of the Lord Whom she has served, and in every expression of good will from the people of Most Holy Name Church.

Next to Sister Bernwarda, another prominent figure at Holy Name School was Sister M. Wilhelmina, who taught from 1883 until 1910. She succeeded Sister Zita as Superioress, and during her long term she endeared herself both to the Sisters of the Community and to the people of the parish. This good Sister has gone to her eternal reward.

As year succeeded year, Holy Name school progressed steadily, room to room being added until ten classes were filled, and then the limit was reached. The parish had no option other than to build a new school. Without delay the property was secured across the alley way from the old building to the corner of Tinsbury and Hatteras Streets, and in 1907 the building was completed. Both school houses were united by the addition built in 1923. The years in which new classes were opened are recorded in the Chronology.

At the present time we have thirteen Sisters teaching the Grades, two sisters teaching the Commercial class, and one Sister in charge of the Kindergarten, and also engage the services of Mr. Adolph P. Kaule as the instructor in the class of physical culture. Sister M. Petronilla is the School Principal and the Superioress of the community of Sisters, and under her able management very marked and proficient progress has been made and a high standard attained. This Sister came here in August, 1922, and has now served a double term as the Superioress in accordance with the Law of the Church. According to Canon Law, a Local Superior can hold the tenure of office for three years only, but may be reappointed for a second term, after which the office must be ceded to another. By virtue of this law, Sister Petronilla will relinquish her office after the close of this scholastic year, and it will be with many regrets that we shall bid her adieu. She was a capable teacher, a prudent principal, a kind superior and an exemplary religious; and the only compensating element that remains with her relinquishment of office is that from time to time, at least, Most Holy Name School will receive the benefit of her knowledge and experience when she will conduct a periodic visitation. She has been appointed as the Supervisor of all the schools in the Diocese in charge of the Sisters de Notre Dame, a promotion which will require the expenditure of much time and attention, but undoubtedly accomplish much good. Let us wish her the greatest blessing for the success of her work.

The Superiors in charge of the Community and of the School prior to the arrival of Sister Petrronilla, and since the time of Sister Wilhelmna, were Sister M. Ambrose, who served for only one year, namely, the term of 1921-1922.

The children of our school have distinguished themselves many a time through



[Most Holy Name School]


the the coaching of the good Sisters. Not a few are the honors that they have captured to the credit of the entire student body. Every year the pupils of the Commercial Classes have won distinctions awarded by the various Typewriter Companies for successful test and the children of the Grades have secured many prizes in various public contests. The Carnegie Institute of Pittsburgh has been pleased almost each year to award one or more prizes for the proficiency of our children, and different organizations and business firms have bestowed freely the honors won by our pupils. At the time of the late War, the War Council of the United States recognized the patriotic efforts exhibited by the children and voted a special letter of thanks for their work during the Thrift Campaign Our School headed the list with over $17,000.00 in sales for Thrift Stamps and $950.00 for Liberty Bonds.

Every member of the parish may point with just pride to our splendid parochial school and feel grateful to the good Sisters who have sacrificed themselves in the interests of the children. Without a doubt, our school maintains an excellent standard of learning, and let us pray that God’s blessings will continue to rest upon it and keep it one of the best schoolsin the diocese. The present enrollment is 991, or 443 boys and 548 girls.

The School Sisters de Notre Dame

The work of the many Sisterhoods of the Catholic Church is so intimately interwoven with the great mission of evangelization that without their able support the Master’s injunction to “Go and teach all nations” could not be fulfilled except by some special miraculous intervention . God’s plan, however, is to use creatures and natural means to effect super natural results; and for this reason the assistance of holy nuns is as important in the mission of the Church as the work of priests. These pious women, who have renounced the pleasures and vanities of the world and consecrated themselves to the service of the Eternal Bridegroom, with no earthly compensation other than the mere necessities of life, are the Marys and the Marthas who associate themselves wit Christ and become the great silent missionaries of the Church.

The Most Holy Name Parish owes its debt of gratitude to the self-sacrificing Sisters de Notre Dame. Without their help the congregation could never have flourished as it does on this its anniversary. Thousands of children have been under their care since 1875, the year they began to teach in our school, and everyone of them has received from the Sisters a thorough training in the fundamentals and practices of our Holy Religion, and each succeeding generation was given to know how precious is our heritage of Faith. The children under their present care will be the support of consolation of the Church tomorrow when we shall be numbered with the generations that are past; and, therefore, we must acknowledge with deepest gratitude our obligation to these good Sisters and pray that their reward may be the promised hundredfold in the Kingdom of Heaven. Other than this, we know, they seek not.

As a just tribute to the Nuns who have labored so faithfully and zealously during these long years, we give the following sketch of the history of the Order de Notre Dame:

This congregation of School Sisters, whose principal American Motherhouse is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, numbers at present more than five thousand religious in some four hundred houses, and has under its spiritual care nearly one hundred and fifty thousand children and young ladies. These are in colleges, high schools, grade schools, kindergartens and orphanages, scattered over forty-five dioceses in our own country, in Canada and in Porto Rico. The Congregation was introduced into America eighty years ago.

The first European Motherhouse at Nuenburg vorm Wald was established in 1833 by


Mother Mary Teresa of Jesus, the foundress of the Congregation. (The canonical process for the beatification of this Sister is now being proposed by Cardinal Faulhaber, Bishop of Munich.) Eight years later, in 1841, the Motherhouse was transferred to the city of Munich in Bavaria.

About the year 1845, at the entreaty of an American Bishop, this pious Sister, then the Mother General of the Order, decided to head a band of valiant pioneers and transplant the Order in the New World. She was not in position, however, to carry her plan into effect at once but had to wait until after a lapse of two years before the opportunity presented itself. It came on June 18, 1847. With five of her Sisters she bade a solemn farewell to the happy convent home in Bavaria and parted with the natural dread of what might attend their arrival in America. The pang of the departure was also augmented by the fact that, in lieu of prevailing conditions, they were obliged to lay aside the religious garb and travel as seculars.

The little band arrived at New York July 31 1847, and were received with great kindness by the Redemptorist Fathers, but they did not tarry longer than necessary to enjoy a short rest after the wearisome voyage and to complete their plans for the future. They agreed to make their first settlement on American soil at St. Mary’s, Elk County, Pa., and without further delay started on the jounrney which was more wearisome and trying than the one they had just completed.

Indeed, one can hardly picture the trying hardships encountered on this venture into an almost wild country. There were no railroads and the highways were a little better than lanes. The stage coach was their parlor car, and its fatiguing ride tested their loyalty severely. In truth, the journey only half completed, they were confronted with more than a test when the youngest of the five sisters succumbed, became dangerously ill, and died.

The coach halted at the hostelry at Harrisburg, Pa., to allow the patient to be taken indoors for attention, but within a few minutes the young Sister breathed her noble soul into the hands of God. Upon this very Nun had the Mother Foundress reposed her greatest hopes, for one naturally books to vigorous youth for the great accomplishments of the future; but these hopes being shattered, it could not be with any but drooping, but still more courageous sprit, that she continued onward with the remaining four. The deceased was laid to rest the next day, a matter of absolute necessity on account of the prevailing heat, but the bereavement was not entirely without its consolations. The sympathy shown by the people towards the strangers inspired them with love and appreciation of the unreserved, whole-hearted character of the American people and made them all the more willing to settle amongst them and to labor for them. The entire town mourned with the Sisters and accompanied the corpse to the grave.

Without further mishaps, other than the fatigue of the journey, the pioneers of the order arrived at their destination, where again they were welcomed heartily by the Redemptorist Fathers. It was evening of the Feast of Our Lady’s Assumption, Aug 15, 1847 but what accommodations could poverty give unto poverty? The good Fathers had nothing to offer the Sisters; only their direst needs could be supplied. But later, when the people learned of their presence and their purpose, there were charitable hands to help them, and thus their stay was made a little less irksome. Yet, God’s blessing is always attendant upon sacrifices; and these Sisters sacrificed indeed! Soon reinforcements arrived from Europe and ere long the Sisters were able to branch out into several communities in charge of schools. A school was opened in Baltimore and Philadelphia, and in 1848 the Sisters were settled at old Saint Philomena’s, Pittsburgh. At the same time two schools were opened at Buffalo, New York.

The expansion of the Order, however, had no bearing on the alleviation of the conditions existing at the quasi-Motherhouse at St Mary’s, which were so impervious that it became necessary to withdraw the Sisters The home, moreover, was not large enough to accommodate the increasing community, for by this time the daughters of American families were entering. Furthermore, the day had come to establish headquarters for


this country and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, was selected as the site of the Motherhouse The home was opened in 1850 and enjoyed the sole jurisdiction in the United States until the year 1876, when the growth of the Order required the creation of a second Province. Baltimore, Maryland, was chosen as the seat of the new jurisdiction, and to this Motherhouse belong the Sisters in charge of our own school. In the meantime, as the above events were transpiring, the Foundress, Mother Teresa, returned to Munich, where she died on May 9, 1870.

Today the Sisterhood, under the Jurisdiction of the Milwaukee Motherhouse, is known as the Western Province and numbers 1,996 Sisters in 133 houses, and has 57,882 pupils under its care. The Eastern Province at Baltimore has 98 houses, 1,377 Sisters and 46,692 pupils.

Other divisions that have been made since the establishment of the Eastern Province are: the Southern Province of St Louis, Mo., in which there are 90 houses, 939 Sisters and 23,467 pupils; the Northwestern Province of Mankato, Minn., with 52 houses, 466 Sisters and 12,544 pupils. In the Canadian Province, there are 29 houses, 153 sisters and 3,622 pupils.

The grand total of these statistics is; 4,931 Sisters, 393 houses, 144,247 pupils. Besides, the Order has 358 Candidates and 108 Aspirants, making a total of 5,397 souls that belong to the religious family.

The Notre Dame Sisters have charge of seven schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh, namely; Most Holy Name School, Troy Hill; Saint Philomena School, Squirrel Hill; Saint Joseph School, Verona; Saint Aloysius School, Reserve Township; Saint Mary’s Assumption School, 57th Street; and Saint Ursula School, Allison Park.

The Community at Most Holy Name Convent is composed at present of Sr. M. Petronilla, Superioress and School Principal, Sr. M. Bernwarda, Sr. M. Capitolina, Sr. M. Barnaba, Sr. M. Bernardine, Sr. M. Floriana, Sr. M. Heribert, Sr. M. Elizabeth, Sr. M. Laurina, Sr. M. Frederick, Sr. M. Atala, Sr. M. Anne, Sr. M. Leonida, Sr. M. Leonarda, Sr. M. Cordula, and two Candidates, Sr. Margaret and Sr. Mary.

Most Holy Name Convent

The new Convent is a plain structure, entirely fireproof, and built to suit the needs and convenience of the Sisters. It is designed in the Northern Romanesque style, slightly modified and modernized in line and detail, but adhering closely to the best traditions of the style in the disposition of its elements, masses and proportions.

The main wall surfaces are of red tapestry brick with limestone trimmings. The entrance is arched and vaulted in limestone, supported on stone columns.

On the first floor front are the reception and music rooms, and the remaining part contains the community room, library, office, dining room, kitchen and sun porch. On the second floor front is the Chapel and Sacristy, and in the other parts are the cells for the Sisters.

The people of the parish are to be congratulated for having given the Sisters a suitable dwelling, and we wish that space would allow us to print the names of all the persons who have contributed large and small amounts towards the completion of the building. Their names, however, are written on the records of God, and the Sisters pray for them every day as their benefactors; no doubt everyone has reaped a blessing for this charity. The following have contributed larger donations and are therefore entitled to some particular mention; Mr. and Mrs. John Guehl donated the statues and pedestals; the beautiful Rigalico Altar is a donation from Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Miller, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Reiners, Dr. John Priestes, and “a friend”; the Saint Anthony Lyceum contributed for the beautifully carved Communion Rail and the handsome gold Sanctuary Lamp; the pews are the donation from the Women’s Conference, and the Young Ladies’ Sodality gave a valuable linen shower.


[Most Holy Name Convent]


Most Holy Name Cemetery

“I like that ancient Saxon phrase, which calls
the burial ground God’s Acre! It is just;
It consecrates each grave within its walls,
And breathes a bentson o’er the sleeping dust.”

A matter of primary concern for all pioneer parishes after the erection of a church was the purchasing of appropriate lands for the burial of the dead. The first Catholic cemetery in the city of Pittsburgh was Saint Mary’s in Lawrenceville, which was intended for the use of Catholics of all nationalities.

When the Redemptorist Fathers came to Pittsburgh and built Saint Philomena Church for the German-speaking Catholics, they insisted on providing a suitable burial ground for their own people, and for this reason they purchased some property on Troy Hill in the year 1842 and again in the year 1862. The total acreage of the combined plots was about two and one-half acres. The cemetery was in use until 1888, when the new Saint Philomena Cemetery in Ross Township was blessed. Later the Saint Joseph Orphanage purchased the old cemetery and converted it into the Asylum Park after all bodies were exhumed; it is the park which fronts on Troy Hill Road, Gardner Street and Lowrie Street. In the course of time the new Saint Philomena Cemetery likewise changed ownership and is known today as the North Side Catholic Cemetery.

After a division was made of old Saint Philomena Congregation, Saint Mary’s Allegheny, was established and the Pastor, father Stibiel, was requested to purchase a cemetery site for his own parish because the Troy Hill plot was becoming too small for the use of both parties. Acting upon this request, Saint Mary Church selected a tract on Nunnery Hill (now known as Fineview). And purchased four acres. The first burial therein was in the year 1854. As time, however, naturally fills cemeteries, it finally became necessary for Saint Mary’s to buy more ground; but none was to be procured on Nunnery Hill, and therefore a new location was selected in Ross Township along the Mount Troy Road, and the solemn ceremony of the blessing occurred in the year 1891.

Since both these cemeteries, Saint Philomena’s on Troy Hill and Saint Mary’s on Nunnery Hill were in use years before the founding of the Church of the Most Holy Name, and the members of the parish were permitted to purchase burial lots therein, it was not necessary that the parish should have its own graveyard. Accordingly, no move was made in this direction until nearly twenty years after the dedication of the church, and then only when the necessity arose. Old Saint Philomena’s Cemetery was filled and the authorities of the city of Allegheny urged its removal for sanitary reasons. No alternative was to be selected and the Redemptorist fathers had to comply with the pressure brought against them. For this reason, the ground was sold to the Orphanage, as mentioned above. The objections raised were directed not only against saint Philomena Cemetery, but also against a non-Catholic burial ground, known as the Smithfield Cemetery, which was adjoining. Both
were, therefore, removed.

This injunction forced by the city authorities was the immediate cause of our parish purchasing it own cemetery. Father Mollinger bought the tract of land in Reserve Township along the Mount Troy Road, now opposite the Saint Aloysius Church, and solemnly dedicated it on Trinity Sunday, May 28, 1887. The price paid for the land was $6,000.00. The Reverend Father Francis Schwah, C.S. Sp., by the authorization of the Rt. Reverend Bishop Phelan. Coadjutor to bishop Tuigg, officiated at the dedication and was assisted by Father Mollinger and the Reverend Fathers Eugene Schmitt, John Willms and Charles Langst, all of the Holy ghost College.

During the life of Father Mueller several important improvements were made in the cemetery property. One of them was the erection of a new Crucifixion Group, which was blessed on Sunday afternoon, August 29, 1909. The Cross of this group was


blown down a little more than a year ago during a heavy wind storm. In 1910, the retaining wall was built along the entire road front, which cost $2,270.00; and in 1920 the old wooden steps from the entrance to the summit were replaced with concrete at the cost of $1,170.00.

Father Pfeil had the unsurveyed portion laid out in new lots during the year 1924 and personally compiled a new and complete record of all lots previously sold. The original price of burial lots was sixty dollars, but was raised to eighty dollars during the administration of Father Mueller. When the lots of the new section were place on sale the question of the price was carefully weighted and the decision was reached to retain the same selling price of eighty dollars, even though money values have depreciated greatly, but a restriction was place upon the sales whereby no other than a  parishioner of the Most Holy Name Church may buy a lot. With this restriction, the members of the parish receive the benefit of the low rate and the cemetery itself will be adequate for many years to come.

The parish observes a very beautiful custom in regard to the reverence for the dead and the offering of suffrage for them, which deserves particular mention in the pages of this book. It is the annual visit to the cemetery and the holding of services for the dead. Each year since 1907, the weather permitting, the services are conducted on the Sunday closest to the day for the commemoration of all the souls departed, and a more touching and appealing ceremony is nowhere to be seen. The service consists of the singing of the liturgical dirge of the Miserere, the De Profundis, and the Libera. The graves are blessed and an appropriate sermon is delivered. These services are preceded by a procession from the church, and the distance covered is a little over two miles. It is a wonderful sight and an inspiring demonstration of Catholic Faith. Young and old, men and women, Sisters and priests, even the little children walk in prayerful procession to God’s Acre. Last November this procession was nearly a mile in length.

The beloved dead shall not be forgotten and the faithful will remember that “it is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.” (11 Machab, XII, 46.)

Let us pray, however, that this traditional observance and beautiful custom may never fall into disuse. There is a growning tendency in this age of comfort to make use of the automobile rather than to walk to the cemetery. Walking is fast becoming a lost art and people are reluctant to exert themselves; but let us hope that the priests will always be able to prevail upon the people to walk at least this one day of the year and continue this grand annual procession of Most Holy Name Congregation. Let the people remember that they may offer the resulting fatigue in suffrage for the souls in Purgatory.


Our Church Bells

“For bells are the voice of the church;
They have tones that touch and search
The hearts of young and old.”

The use of church bells dates back many centuries in the age of the Church. Their peal summons the Faithful to Divine Worship; their call announces the hour of prayer. How holy is the purpose of the bell at morning, noon and night, telling the Angelus hour. How sublime that prayer thrice a day, dwelling upon the great mystery of the Incarnation and Redemption! Or, what sympathy and appeal for prayer sound in the dirge of the passing bell. In solemn tones is announced the departure of a soul from life into eternity, the burial of one who has experienced the joys and trials of life and is now being committed to the care of Mother Earth to await the summons to final judgment on the great Last Day. Or, how joyful are the bells that ring before Christian Nuptials, when a happy couple plights eternal troth before the Alter of



God; and how jubilant the concert of bells on the great festivals and solemnities of the Church! In a language all their own, bells speak for very occasion.

In her liturgy the Church anoints bells with Holy Oils and dedicates them to the service of God by appropriate ceremonies. She offers them to the Most High and prays “that their melodious sound may call the people not only to the Church but to Heaven; that hearing the bells, their devotion may be increased; that the sound thereof may repel all snares of the devil, and may avert from the faithful all dangers fom hail and storms, thunder and lightning.”

When bells are blessed each one receives the name of a Saint. For this reason, the ceremony is sometimes called the “Christening of the Bells.” The names of our church bells are: “The Name of Jesus, Saint Mary, Saint Joseph, Saint Rose of Lima, and Saint Aloysius.” The inscriptions upon them are as follows:

Bell No. 1. “Gestiftet von Familien Frauenheim und Vilsack. In Namen Jesu Lade Ich Euch Zu Allen Festlichkeiten Ein. folgetMeinem Rufe.” This bell is the largest of the set and is noted for its full deep tone. It is generally used as “the first bell” for the Sunday High Mass and evening devotions.

Bell No. 2, “Meine Name 1st Maria. Mein Ruf gilt Allen Besounders Aber den Frauen.” This bell tolls for all funerals; it is the passing bell. How beautiful that the bell Saint Mary should tell the departure of a Christian. Whenever you hear its mournful dirge, pray for the soul that has gone to Eternity, and likewise remember that Mary will be the safest refuge at the hour of your death. “Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death.”

Bell No. 3. “Mein Name 1st Joseph. Meine Einladung Gilt Alle Besonders Aber Den Maennern.”

Bell No. 4. “Mein Name 1st Rosa Von Lima. Meine Stimme Gilt Allen Besonders Aber Der Jungfrauen.”

Bell No. 5. “Meine Name 1st Aloysius. Ich Lade Alle Ein Besonders Aber Die Yuenglinge.” This bell and the Saint Joseph Bell are the ones used to sound the Angelus.

These bells were cast at St. Louis, Mo., in the year 1898.

The Saint Anthony Chapel has its own set of three bells which were cast at Baltimore, Md., in the year 1891. Their names are: Saint Anthony, Saint Francis, and Saint Clara.

Besides the set of five there are two other bells in the church belfry. They are of smaller sizes and have not been in use since 1898. The larger of the two was cast in Pittsburgh in the year 1891 and does not bear a name or carry any inscription. The other, likewise without a name, was cast in Pittsburgh in the year 1848, twenty years before the dedication of our church. This is the bell that occupied the little pointed belfry of the original church and which sounded on the day of the dedication. Its voice has been stilled for thirty years, but it will ring again on July eighth of this year as the Procession will wend its way into the church for the celebration of the Pontifical High Mass in commemoration of the Sixtieth Anniversary of the dedication of our church.


[Church Committee]


Church Committee

The following gentleman are the members of the Church Committee: Mr. William Best, Mr. Patrick Graham, Mr. Edward Heid, Mr. Adolph Hepp, Mr. George Hubert, Mr. August John, Mr. Peter Melcher, Mr. Aloysius L. Ober, Mr. John J. Schmidt, Mr. Henry F. Simon, Mr. Joseph W. Snyder, Mr. Edward H. Wittig.

The deepest and sincerest gratitude of the parish is due to these gentleman who deserve every honor and respect. Without any earthly compensation, but solely for the good of the people, they sacrifice their convenience to the beck and call of their office. No church service is conducted without the presence of several of these men to see that exterior order is preserved so that the priest may conduct the divine services without interruption, and that nothing disturbs the harmony and peace that should reign in the house of God. The people of the parish are to be congratulated for the wise choice they have made always in electing the members of this committee, for not only are we blessed at the present time with good Committeemen, but have been blessed in the past. The advice, counsel, and personal interest that these men evidence in parish matters has been of no little value in the progress of the congregation, and the success of this great Jubilee Celebration is due to the warm cooperation of the present members with the priests of the parish.

May God reward them all for their faithful services.

Church Frescoing

Redecorating the church was one of the notable achievements of last year, and as it has given the edifice a pleasing and artistic appearance, it deserves to be described in this book.

By painting the walls and ceiling in a beautiful light grey tone, panelled in gold and multicolored stencil, the former sombre aspect of the interior has been relieved. The central portion of the ceiling is laid out in three panels with pictures portraying the chief events of the ecclesiastical year, or the three principle feats of the year. The foremost picture is that of Christ’s Nativity; the central panel depicts His Resurrection; and the third is the Descent of the Holy Ghost.

The rounded portion of the ceiling which converges to the wall is divided into ten panels, five on each side and thus paired they show ten pictures that are symbolical of Christian perfection. The two in the front are the Sacred Passion of Christ, as the fountain and source of all merit and grace. The next represents the Sacraments in general and the Eucharist in particular as the means of grace. But as the Sacraments have been committed to the Church for dispensation, symbols of the Church herself are next in order. In the one are sketched the Keys which were given by the Divine Founder, and in the other are the Mitre and Crozier, symbols of ecclesiastical power and authority. Hence, these pictures tell that the grace of God, merited by the Passion and Death of the Savior, and communicated to man through the channels of the Sacraments, is in the custody of the Catholic Church. Yet, neither the Church of God, nor her Sacraments, are able to save man without personal cooperation, because sanctification is obtained by leading a virtuous life and accomplishing the Divine Will. For this reason, the next pictures contain, first, symbols of faith, hope, and charity, or the theological virtues, which are also used to express in general the idea of virtue; and, secondly, the two tables of the Commandments. “ He who hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is who loveth me.” And when man does keep the grace of God in his heart by the observance of the Commandments and the practice of a virtuous life, aided and sustained by the promise of central life, and this idea is impressed by the last of the pictures which


[Most Holy Name Church - Interior]


are the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. In what more appropriate manner can be pictured the delights of Heaven than by the union of these Hearts - Jesus, the Son of God, and Mary Immaculate, His Mother and the Queen of Heaven - this is Heaven!

Above the side Altars are two masterpieces of art. On the right, over the Altar of Blessed Virgin, is a representation of her Assumption into Heaven, and on the left, over the Altar of Saint Joseph, is a picture of his blessed death. These two pictures are intended to inspire the thought of the blessedness of a happy death. The sleep of Saint Joseph and the Assumption of Mary! Can there be a better incentive for a virtuous life than the hope of dying a holy death? “In all thy works, remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin.” {Ecclus. VII. 40.}

The main portion of the Sanctuary is decorated in single but rich colors. The rear side walls, which stand at oblique angles to the rest of the building, have each a large frame with pictures of Old Testament incidents which refer to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. On the Gospel Side is a representation of the sacrifice of Melchisedech offering bread and wine. According to the words of the Psalmist, Christ is the Priest according to the order of Melchisedech, and each day during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, by the power of Consecration, bread and wine are changed into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

The picture at the Epistle Side shows Abraham in the act of sacrificing his son Isaac, but being stayed by the hand of an angel. In the New Testament Christ, the Only Begotten Son of the Eternal Father, was actually slain for the sins of the world, and the same Oblation is renewed at every Mass in an unbloody manner. After the Elevation of the Sacred Host and the Chalice, the priest refers to the Sacred Species that lie in front of him and directs this prayer to Almighty God: - Vouchsafe to look upon them with a gracious and tranquil conntenance, and to accept them, even as Thou was pleased to accept the offering of Thy just servant Abel, and the sacrifice of Abraham our Patriarch, and that which Melchisedech. Thy high-priest offered to Thee.” The sacrifices of the Old Testament typified the One Unbloddy Sacrifice of the New Law, and these two pictures, standing aflank from the Altar, point as it were to the Object which they foreshadowed.

In the rear of the High Altar is a group of ascending angels who seem to carry aloft to the very throne of God this same Clean Oblation, and they appear also to direct the attention from the Altar to the Sacred Name of the Savior which is emblazoned in the oblong art window above. They would repeat to us the promise of the Redeemer: “ Amen, amen, I say to you, if you ask the Father anything in my name, he will give it you.” {John XVI. 23.}

As the Holy Name of Jesus is the title of the church, the faithful are to be reminded of this by the two angels in the Sanctuary arch who bear banners with the I H S and X P. The former are the Greek characters of the first three letters of the name of Jesus, and the latter, which is known as the Christogram, stands for the name of Christ. Then looking up, the congregation may read the Sacred Name of Jesus Christ and with a greatful heart remember that it lives under the power and protection of this Saving Name.

In the center of the Sanctuary ceiling is a dove with emanating rays, to represent the Holy Spirit and the Gifts He Dispenses. Tiny stars are sprinkled about the ceiling to remind the Christian that his home is destined to be above the stars in the realm of God’s Kingdom.

The redecoration of the church has taken away the long unproportioned appearance of the building and has made it pleasing and devotional. Everything seems to be in harmony, and the new lights relieve the monotony of the long view. These lights are made of hammered iron in lantern shape and
hold plain and colored glass. They are very artistic and decorative.


Since the dedication of the Most Holy Church the following missions were conducted:

1. During the pastorate of Father Mollinger in the year 1875.

2. During the pastorate of Father Duffner:
    {a} June 10-24, 1894
    {b} Two weeks beginning on the fourth Sunday after Easter in the year 1900.
    {c} During the year 1902.

3. During the pastorate of Father Mueller:
    {a} November 28-Dec. 12, 1909
    {b} October 7-21, 1917

4. During the pastorate of Father Pfeil: the last two weeks of October, 1926.

The Mission of 1926 was conducted by the Franciscan Fathers {Minor Conventuals} of Seaside Park, N. J.: the Rev. Hubert Osterman, O. M. C., the Rev. Anselm Sell, O. M. C. ,and the Rev. Denis Gallagher, O. M. C. The first week, October 17th to 24th, was for the women and the second week, October 24th to 31st was for the men and simultaneously with the Mission of the second week a German section was held in the Chapel and was attended by both men and women. During the school hours of the three days of October 18th to the 20th the children received special sermons and instructions.

This Mission was particularly noted for the great piety, zeal and devotion manifested on the part of the missionaries as well as of the people. The attendance at all devotions, even the early morning services at five o’clock, was most remarkable and edifying. During the Mission, 11,629 Holy Communions were distributed. The effects of the exercises were exceedingly great, and to this very day, after a year and a half, the people still speak of the great Mission and the fervor thereof has not yet cooled.

Similar to the ardor of the Mission was the three day Retreat conducted by the Rev. James Delaney, Diocesan Director of the Holy Name Society, for the men of the parish. The Retreat was held from Thursday evening, March 8th, until Sunday afternoon, March 11th of this year. The men were congratulated for their remarkable attendance at the exercises and for the fervor they displayed. On Sunday morning, 820 men were present at the Eucharistic Banquet, and to the further credit of the men let it be said that every month nearly five hundred of them receive Holy Communion.

Before the close of the present year similar exercises will be conducted for the women and the young ladies of the parish.



[Saint Anthony Chapel]

Saint Anthony Chapel

The Chapel of Saint Anthony was built by Father Mollinger in the year 1880 and enlarged ten years later. The original part embraced the Sanctuary and nave as far as the central arch; the wider section of the nave with the Cross is the later addition. By reason of some delays and difficulties, the  enlarged edifice was not opened formally until the Feast of Saint Anthony, June 13,1892, three days before the death of its founder. This church was the result of the founder’s great devotion to the Saint of Padua; it was erected to honor Saint Anthony, but by reason of numerous Relics contained therein it might with propriety have been called the Shrine of All Saints. More than five thousand Relics of the Holy Apostles; Relics of Holy Widows and Saintly Penitents; Particles of the True Cross of Christ and many marvelous objects of piety.

The Altars and Shrines wherein these reliquaries are arranged are beautifully constructed pieces of workmanship wrought in solid walnut. Under the principle Altar is a precious case containing the entire body of Saint Demetrius, a Martyr, which was brought from Rome in the year 1880. To the right and to the left of the Altar are cases containing skulls of the Martyrs Saint Macharius and Saint Stephana. In other compartments beneath the statues of the Sacred Heart and the Blessed Mother are skulls of the martyred companions of Saint Ursula. Above those same statues are twin cases with a Relic for each day of the year. In the center, behind the Tabernacle, is a gold case with Relics of the Saints whose names occur in the Canon of the Mass, and embedded in the Altar itself is a splinter of the Sacred Mensa whereupon the Last Supper was celebrated.

Likewise, in the transepts are shrines and cases filled with countless treasures of the Saints. In the right transept above the Altar, is a beautiful reproduction of the miraculous pictures of Our lady of Perpetual Help, the original of which is preserved in the Church of Saint Alphonsus in Rome. Beneath the Altar is a reclining statue of the Martyr Saint Justina, and beside it a small case with her Relics.

In the left transept is a remarkably constructed reliquary representing a little sanctuary. In this single case there are over seven hundred Relics. The large cross in the center contains a Particle of the True Cross of Christ, and in the beam and transverse pieces are other Relics that pertain to our Blessed Redeemer, such as splinter-like particles from the Holy Manger, the Crown of Thorns, the Column of Flagellation, rock from the Garden of Gethsemane, Mount Calvary and the Holy Sepulehre. Directly over the cross is another group of Relic’s eighty in number of the Pope’s who have been canonized.

In the nave are two reclining statues with Relic’s of the Saints represented: Saint Mauritius to the right and Saint George to the left. Both of these Saints were Martyrs. On the shelf above the figure of Saint George is a beautiful case built in the form of an Altar. Upon inspection, one finds that it is constructed of Relic’s together with the names of the Saints. Next to it is the skull of the Martyr Saint Theodore. On the opposite side of the Chapel, above the statue of Saint Mauritius, stands a large cross under a baldachino. This contains another Particle of the True Cross.

The wall cases also have their hundreds of Relics. Some of the very small reliquaries contain as many as a dozen or more holy particles. Two small frames at the bottom of the end sections of the cases in the main Altar. In the middle section of the case to the right is a handsome piece of art with a medallion of the Blessed Virgin. This serves as a good specimen of rich Italian art.

A particular reliquary worthy of a brief description is the one used by Father Mollinger when blessing the pilgrims, and still


used at the conclusion of the Saint Anthony Devotions. It is exposed in the Sanctuary upon a pedestal only during the time of services. Its construction resembles a monstrance, in the center of which is a Particle of the True Cross. Around this is a circle with Relics of Saint John the Baptist, Saint Mary Magdalen, Saint Lawrence, Saint Dionysius, Saint Blase, Saint Stephen Proto-Martyr, and a shred of the Sacred Winding Sheet.

[Reliquary - Saint Anthony Chapel]

Arranged in the outer rim are Relics of Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint Nicholas, Saint Agnes, Saint Barbara, Saint Sebastian, Saint Catherine, Saint Cecilia, and Saint Lambert. Artistic medalia representing these same Saints are fixed on the base of the reliquary. Beautiful filigree work and engraving enhance the craftsmanship, and an inscription tells that it was wrought in the city of Aachen in the year 1880.

Above the center arch which divides the two portions of the Chapel, the ‘Shrine of the Saints’ from the “Way of the Cross,” we read the inscription: “Corpora Sauctorum in pace sepulta sunt.” The bodies of the Saints are buried in peace. Indeed, one senses that here is peace and sweet repose. Surrounded by the Relics of holy men and women, one is surely in a holy place. Here are the sacred remains of bodies which were once living temples of the Holy Ghost; and these same Relics will be resplendent with glory after the dead shall have risen at the end of time.

This collection of Relics is probably the largest in the world, and and inquiring mind naturally wonders how one priest could have gathered it. The answer to this is not so difficult when one considers that it was Father Mollinger’s chief delight and hobby; and for those who may inquire concerning the authenticity of the collection, let it be stated that all the documents or “authentics” are carefully preserved. The following excerpt from the works of Father Lambing who was personally acquainted with Father Mollinger, might serve in reply to these questions:

“The extent of collection almost surpasses belief; and it was natural that some persons should express a doubt with regard to the centuries that have passed since many of the Saints died, the number of places and hands through which the Relics so often pass, and other points relating to many of the Relics of Saints, it would be extremely difficult to affirm that every single one is so large a collection genuine; but this is far different from making sweeping assertions. After years of acquaintance with Father Mollinger, I feel confident that no one who knew him would believe that he would allow himself to be imposed upon, or that he would fail to make sure such precautions are piety and prudence would suggest to authenticate the Relics that came into his possession from time to time. Besides, he possessed special advantages for making such a collection, and the times were favorable. It is astonishing what a person can accomplish in any particular line if he devotes unremitting attention to it. We frequently find evidence of this in the most likely places. Father Mollinger’s hobby, if you like the expression, was the collection of Relics, and he was enthusiastic in working it. He possessed the means; he was


[Saint Anthony Chapel - Interior]


acquainted in Rome and some of the principal cities of Europe, he had persons who were always on the alert for Relics that might be secured. At this time monasteries in Germany and in parts of Italy were being stolen by the government and all that was not confiscated was sent adrift, so that the best opportunity ever presented for collecting Relic, books, etc, was at hand. I myself bought a folio Bible printed by Anthony Koberger in 1478 at Nureberg for forty five dollars. In the light of these facts, it is not at all to be wondered at that Father Mollinger could have succeeded in collecting so large a number of Relics. Many another person with his means, his enthusiasm, and his opportunities could have perhaps effected as much.”

The Chapel building, aside from the priceless treasures it contains, is beautiful to a high degree, a beauty, however, which does not belong to us by reason of architectural preciseness, but rather by its uniqueness. It is romanesque in design and commands attention with its hold stone front flanked on each side with graceful spires. Between these is a large bronze statue of Saint Anthony standing as the sentinel and guardian of the Hill.

The windows are the finest of their kind for richness and durability of color. The central windows over the gallery consists of two panels: the one representing the Blessed Virgin Mary as the Mother of God and the Queen of Heaven, the other her spotless spouse, Saint Joseph. To the right is a window of saint Anthony of Padua, and to the left Saint Catherine of Sienna. Above the Stations are fourteen windows of the Apostles, with Saint Paul, Saint Stephen, and Saint Lawrence. These windows were imported from Munich and Lexemburg.

The chief works of art, however, that attract most attention are the life-sized figures of the Way of the Cross. They are real masterpieces which were imported from the city of Munich in Bavaria. They were made at the Mayerischen Kunstaustallt about forty years ago and cost approximately eight thousand dollars. Considering that this price did not include shipment or import tax and bearing in mind that labor was cheap at the time and the cost of living low, and remembering that money possessed a sound value, the worth of these Stations cannot be figured according to present day standards.

The Stations possess striking features and are remarkable for the anatomical correctness of the figures and the reality of their facial expressions. They impress every beholder, and anyone who meditates upon them, even with a slight degree of sincerity, must feel his heart stirred and his will moved with a detestation of sin which caused so terrible an agony to the God-Man.

Saint Anthony Chapel is a place of pilgrimage for pious souls, and those who seek find alleviation and consolation. Here is a Shrine, the only one of its kind, a Sanctuary wherein God is honored in His Saints; and such a wonderful place is certainly worthy of the appreciation of the people of the Most Holy Name Church.

The Chapel is open every Sunday and Tuesday, and on these days Holy Mass is offered at nine o’clock. On Tuesday a short devotion is added after the High Mass, and in the evening public devotions are conducted.

By the special favor of the Holy See, the Saint Anthony Chapel enjoys the privilege of the Portiuneula Indulgence. This favor was granted on February 13,1908 as a concession “in perpetuum.”

Saint Anthony of Padua
Pray For Us


Parish Recruits to the Holy Priesthood and Religious Life

One writer has said: “The number of persons in a parish who have consecrated their lives to the service of God and the church, may offer a safe criterion of the deep religious spirit and sentiment prevailing among the members.” If such be the case, and let us assume its truth, Holy Name Parish may glory in justifiable pride for the worthy sons and admirable daughters who have renounced the attachments of the world and given themselves to the service of the Master. But, let this pride be tempered by the humble admission that the quota of recruits had not been as fair as might be expected from a parish whose accredited spiritual life has always been extolled. Let us frankly admit that our parish should have produced more priests and Sisters, and without attempting to offer explanations, let us look forward to the future with the hope and prayer that the number will be
greatly augmented. This hope, too, is a very sanguine one, especially in regard to aspirants to the Holy Priesthood; for it, by the grace of God, the young men of the parish who are enrolled in colleges and seminaries will persevere, in a few years the priests from this parish shall have doubled the present number. At present there are fifteen pursuing their studies.

Parents should remember that the vocation to the religious life is not something dropped down from Heaven, but rather a desire that is encouraged in children and brought to maturity by prayer and sacrifice. It begins in the home itself; it is nurtured by the words, and thrives by the advice of the parents. Every pious mother who holds an infant boy in her arms harbors the secret wish that this child might some day be a priest of God; and the sturdy Catholic father, in silent thought, considers what an honor and blessing it would be to see his son standing at God’s Altar or hear him from the pulpit in God’s Church. But if father and mother would speak more encouragingly about this matter as the child advances in age, this faint hope and mere desire would develop into a reality.

Vocations to convent life also could be fostered by encouraging words - and what greater need has the Church today than to have more recruits in the Sisterhood? Ah, if there were only more Sisters to care for the tender minds of children in the Catholic schools, or to attend suffering humanity in Catholic hospitals, or to apply themselves to social welfare work, with what leaps and bounds the Faith would be diffused and the Kingdom of Christ extended!

Where in America do we find today any semblance of religious teaching outside of the Catholic Church? There remains hardly a vestige of dogmatic or moral education where formerly an attempt, at least, was made to preach the Word of God. Churches have become assembly halls, lecture forums, and places of entertainment - the Catholic Church alone remains a church; she alone, founded upon the authority and teachings of Christ, says: “Thus must thou believe; thus must thou do.” But, although the souls of our separated brethren are unsatiated with religious thought, they yearn, nevertheless, for its teaching. As the eye seeks light, so the soul seeks illumination. “Thou has created us for Thee, O Lord,” says the great Saint Augustine, “and therefore our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee.” Human nature undergoes no essential change, and it belongs to the nature of man to look for truth. The unilluminated soul will grope in darkness, hoping to find the
light; and these very ones would enter the Church of God if they but recognized her saving Faith. There are thousands ready to enter, but they require to be led. Herein the great lay apostolate of the Catholic Church must play a very important role, but to perfect they mystic drama there must be more leading characters of good priests and holy nuns. Let Catholic parents, therefore, strive to foster religious vocations.

The blessed life of a priest! The ennobling life of a nun! To leave all to serve Christ and to win souls for Eternity! “Tis not given to all, it is true; and Christ has said, “You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you.” Still, if we do the encourag-


ing, Christ will do the choosing, and will say to the youthful soul, “Come and follow Me.”

Those from our parish who have heeded the call of the Divine Master and entered into His Vineyard have been faithful laborers for souls. May their services be productive of great good for the Kingdom of God. Some of them have already crossed the threshold of Eternity, and we pray that they may enjoy peace and rest in the Lord.

The following list of names was compiled with extreme care, and to the best of our knowledge the name appears of every person from this parish who entered the religious state; if, however, it should have occurred that a namehas been omitted, it is an unintentional omission.


1.     The Reverend Charles Duwell. First Mass, May 19, 1894. Pastor of Saint Joseph Church,

        Verona, Pa.
2.     The Reverend Anthony Vogel. First Mass, June 28, 1896. Pastor of Saint Joseph Church,

        Duquesne, Pa.
3.     The Reverend Joseph Meyer. First Mass, June 29, 1899. Pastor of Saint Henry Church, S. S.,

        Pittsburgh, Pa.
4.     The Reverend George Guenther. First Mass, July 8, 1900/ Pastor of Saint Walburga Church,

        Pittsburgh, Pa.
5.     The Reverend Joseph Sedlmaier. Ordained June 30, 1901. First Mass, June 30, 1901. Pastor

        of Saint Alphonse church, Wexford, Pa.
6.     The Reverend Leo Meyer. Ordained June 21, 1902. First Mass June 29, 1902. Pastor of Saint

        Mary church, McKees Rocks, Pa.
7.     The Reverend John Schroeffel, C.S.Sp. Ordained November 15, 1902. First Solemn Mass,

        July 15, 1903. Died at Cornwells, Philadelphia, Pa., June 6, 1925. R.I P.
8.     The Reverend Joseph Rossman. Ordained July 7, 1904. First Mass, July 10, 1904. Pastor of

        Saint Joseph Church, North Oakland, Pa.
9.     The Reverend A. J. Miedanner. Ordained May 25, 1907. Pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe

        Church, Villanueva, New Mexico.
10.   The Reverend William Reith. Ordained June 26, 1921. First Mass, July 3, 1921. Assistant

        Pastor at Saint Joseph Church, Bloomfield, Pittsburgh, Pa.
11.   The Reverend George Drescher, who attended Most Holy Name School but later moved to

        Bellaire, Ohio. Was ordained May 21, 1925.
12.   The Reverend John Imhof. Ordained June 19, 1927. First Mass, June 26, 1927. Assistant

        Pastor of All Saints Church, Etna, Pa.
13.   The Reverend Norbert Schramm, who attended Most Holy Name School but later moved to

        Saint Mary Parish, McKees Rocks, was ordained June 17, 1928.

Students in the Seminary

The Reverend Paul Wiesmann, Subdeacon, at Saint Vincent Seminary, Beatty, Pa.

The Venerable Frater Lucian Malich, O.S.B., at Saint Vincent Archabbey, Beatty, Pa.

The Venerable Confrater Raymond L. Foerster, C.P. at Saint Michael Monastery, Union City, N. J.

Brother William Eichmueller, S.J. at Woodstock College, Woodstock, Md.


With the Sisters de Notre Dame:
1. Josephine Schmitt, Sr. M. Florian, at Most Holy Name School, Troy Hill
2. Mathilda Snyder. Died as a Candidate. R.I.P.
3. Mary Hepp, Sr. M. Adolph. At Saint Joseph School, Verona, Pa.
4. Lidwina Singer, Sr. M. Prima. At Saint Joseph School, Taneytown, Md.
5. Amanda Schaub, Sr. M. Palladia. At Saint Aloysius School, Reserve Twp.
6. Anna Meyer, Sr. M. Adelide. At Baltimore, Md.
7. Pauline Steinmiller, Sr. M. Franzina. At Baltimore, Md.
8. Anna Brickert, Sr. M. Terisita. At Rochester, N.Y.
9. Hilda Huckestein, Sr. M. Pietra. At Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
10. Mary Schlachter, Sr. M. Florentia. At Rochester, N.Y.
11. Frances Meyer, Sr. M. Clovis. At Saint Mary School, East Islip, L.I., N.Y.
12. Geraldine Wakelin, Sr. M. Amantia. At Baltimore, Md.
13. Clara Snyder, Sr. M. Godrica. At Baltimore, Md.
14. Anna Fichter, Sr. M. Almeda. At Bohemia, L.I., N.Y.
15. Mathilda Omeis, Sr. M. Rebecca. At Most Holy Name School, Caguas, Porto Rico.
16. Marcella Thoma, Sr. M. Lauda. At Rochester, N.Y.
17. Teresa Goetz, Sr. M. Blanda. At Baltimore, Md.


18. Mary Eichmueller, Sr. M. Wilhelmina. At Rochester, N.Y.
19. Otilia Roos, Sr. M. Aemilian. At Baltimore, Md.
20. Teresa Windish, Sr. M. Arnolda. At Roland Park, Baltimore, Md.
21. Anna Hubert, Sr. M. Joachim. At Tacony, Philadelphia, Pa.
22. Helen Hubert, Candidate. At Camden, N.J.

With other Orders:
1. Mathilda Amrheim, Sr. M. Francesca. With Divine Providence Sisters, Wheeling, W. Va.
2. Mary Leban, Sr. M. Gertrude, O.S.B.
3. Margaret Schoeber, Sr. M. Augusta. At the Ursuline Academy, Toledo, Ohio.
4. Mary Leimbach, Sr. M. Ildephonse. At Mt. St. Dominic Academy, Caldwell, N.J.
5. Elizabeth Weitz, Sr. M. of St. Leonard. At the Convent of the Good Shepherd, Troy Hill.
6. Anna Foerster, Sr. M. Teresa. With the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, Atlanta, Ga.
7. Helen Foerster, Sr. M. Clara. With the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament,
St. Elizabeth Convent, Cornwells, Philadelphia, Pa.
8. Anna Schlereth, Sr. M. Magdalen of the Archangel. At the Convent of St. Magdalen, Newark,

9. Mame Leiendecker, Sr. M. Consuela. At the Maryknoll Mission House, Oessening, N.Y.
10. Grave Wohleber, Sr. M. Louise. With the Sisters of Mercy, Pittsburgh, Pa.
11. Antoinette Schroeffel, Sr. M. Aelred. With the Sisters of St. Francis, Mt. Alvernia, Millvale, Pa.
12. Cecelia Chartner, Candidate. With the Sisters of Charity, Seton Hill, Greensburg, Pa.


Read Next Section


Back to Most Holy Name 60th Anniversary Index Page


A Project of the Allegheny County, PA USGenWeb Archives

Contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by: Linda Braund, Toni Carnahan, Jamie Danker, Margaret DeFazio, Joseph Gartner, Carol Harris, Paul Hepp, Schannon McCloud, Rebecca Miller, Char Miller-Jones, and Pat  Stough .

Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved.


Allegheny County, PA -  USGenWeb Archives - Church Records

Allegheny County, PA -  USGenWeb Archives