Prince Edward County Photo Album Index

Please use your "back" key to return to index

Click on thumbnail to see larger picture

Bethpeor Baptist Church

Constituted in 1912. Rev. W. A. Pearson was the first pastor.

Photographed May 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Graham Hall

On the campus of Hampden-Sydney College. Built for Jonathan Cushing in 1833. The President's house was according to legend constructed partly with bricks and timbers from the Old College building of 1776. Graham is constructed in Flemish bond brick-work. In 1979 it was completely gutted and remodeled. It has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark.

Photographed 2 Aug 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.


Located 1 mile south of Burkeville. The first record we have of this beautiful old home is in 1790 when Richard Braddus married Maria Jeter and inherited the place. He sold it to Thomas Dickenson, who later gave it to his nephew, Robert Dickenson. Colonel P. Dickenson, Judge Asa Dickenson and Clem Dickenson were born at "Inverness." Clem Dickenson, who was a member of Congress in the State of Missouri until recent years (1936), said he could hear the guns firing in the Battle of the Crater, at Petersburg, which is fifty miles away. It was in 1867 that Colonel William Carter Knight names the place "Inverness." It is now owned by Stuart Agnew, who has done much to restore the colonial beauty. (1936)

Photographed and Contributed by Jim Dillard

Olive Branch United Methodist Church

In 1814, a log meeting house was built near the site of the present church. Mr. Olive Branch, a farmer and blacksmith, was a very prominent member. The congregation named the church after him. The present building was erected in 1915.

Photographed May 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.


Jeffress Home Place

Contributed by Sallie L Hurt

Go To

VAGenWeb Photo Album

Prince Edward County VAGenWeb