City of Petersburg Photo Album Index

Please use your "back" key to return to index

Click on thumbnail to see larger picture


18th century house. First mayor of Petersburg. John Banister built the house in 1768 near the south bank of the Appomattox River. On the National Register of Historic Places

Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Civil War Monument

Dedication of the 48th PA Monument at Petersburg National Battlefield. Atop is a statue of Colonel George Washington Gowen, who was killed leading the regiment on 4/2/1865.

Photographed in 1907, by Edward Macfee, Jr. and Contributed by his great-niece, Debbie Briggs

David May's Row

On High St., Built 1859-60 by David May, a prominent attorney. The large bracketed cornice is a striking feature of the building. The old photograph is from the Historic American Buildings Survey.

Contributed by George Seitz.

McIlwaine House

Built in 1815 by Mayor George Jones. It is on the National Register of Historical Places

Photographed May 20, 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

South Side Station

The oldest such building in the state was built around 1854. During the Civil War many Confederate troops were brought here and sent to the numerous Petersburg Hospitals It was the target of Cavalry raids and under constant bombardment during the siege.

Photographed May 20, 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Sycamore Street

Looking South, A typical night scene in a modern progressive city

Contributed by Darla Vanderlip

Trapezium House

Built in 1817 by Charles O'Hara without parallel angles because he was told by a servant that such a house could not hold evil spirits.

Photographed May 20, 20007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Wilcox Lake

in Lee Park, Published by Powers News agency, Petersburg, Va.

Contributed by Darla Vanderlip

Go To

VAGenWeb Photo Album

City of Petersburg VAGenWeb