Hanover County Photo Album Index

Please use your "back" key to return to index

Click on thumbnail to see larger picture

American Orient Express

Seen here passing near Taylorsville. This luxury train transports tourists throughout the country and makes stops throughout Virginia.

Photographed 2002 and Contributed by Gill Pollard

Hanover Arts and Activities Center

Circa 1859. Built as Ashland Baptist Church, the steeple has been removed. It has been an activities center since 1967.

Photographed 7 Jan 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Ashcake Inn

An old postcard showing the place on the Ashcake Road, near Route 1. Built as a residence and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It operated as a Tea Room in the 1930s and, as shown, as The Virginia Country Store. It was razed after 1980.

Contributed by George Seitz.

Ashland Rolling Mills

Home of Patrick Henry flour, meal and feed, one of the oldest mill sites in the county, on the South Anna River. Originally known as Darracott's Mill, it was bought by W.W.Newman in 1872. During the devastation of the Johnston Flood in 1889, the mill was washed away, but the milldam remained. The mill was rebuilt in 1892 and Newman's son, E.W. became the owner of the mill and president of the Piedmont Miller's Association. Still in business and sets on Route 1.

Photographed 13 Apr 2008 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Ashland Station

A southbound Amtrak is passing through the center of town. The tracks go down the middle of Center Street which is the old business district and very unique. The original station was built in the 1850's but destroyed several times during the Civil War and the current building was built in the early 1920's.

Photographed Nov 1999 and Contributed by Gill Pollard

Beaverdam Station

The original station was burnt during the Civil War after Col. John Mosby CSA was captured while waiting on a train.

Photographed Nov 1999 and Contributed by Gill Pollard

Booker's

Located on Route 301 near Shady Grove Road. It was a two-story frame house built over a brick English type basement. It was on a 125 acre tract in 1865. A United States Post Office now occupies the location.

Photographed April 1996 and Contributed by George Seitz

Buckeye

A typical early Tidewater Virginia home. William Pollard, clerk of Hanover from 1740 to 1781, lived here.

Photographed 27 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

503 Center Street South

A square two-story frame house, in Ashland, erected prior to the War between the States. A distinctive feature is the porch with a room above it.

Photographed 5 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

600 Center Street South

In Ashland. Originally a plantation house before Ashland was developed. It was the home of the Stebbins family. Stebbins was a Richmond merchant who used this as his summer home before the Civil War, but moved here permanently during the conflict. It has seven heart-pine mantels and a walnut stairrail.

Photographed 7 Jan 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz

700 Center Street South

A two-story cottage, in Ashland, one room and a hall wide. Built before the Civil War.

Photographed 5 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

702 Center Street South

In Ashland. Probably built around 1849. It was built by the railroad and was called "The Club House" It was a private school at one time.

Photographed 5 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

706 Center Street South

In Ashland. Erected in 1858. One of the owners was Elmira Shelton Royston, who was Edgar Allan Poe's "Lost Lenore."

Photographed 7 Jan 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

716 Center Street South

Built by 1857.

Photographed 7 Jan 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Church Quarter

Thought to be one of the oldest unaltered log cabins on the east coast. It is said that Stonewall Jackson stopped here during the Civil War. It is owned by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Contributed by George Seitz

County Courthouse

Built about 1733. It has a brick arcaded piazza, a tall hip roof and a fine cornice with heavy dentils. It is where Patrick Henry first practiced law.

Photographed 27 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Denton's Tavern

Likely built by Allen Denton, it was owned by him according to the 1810 census, It served as the post office and the area was known as Dentonville. Later owned by various families, including the Rocks, the area is now known as Rockville.

Photographed 3 May 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Ditchley

In Old Church, it was built before the Civil War. Then the home of Robert W. Tomlin, it has fourteen foot ceilings and six foot wide windows.

Photographed 7 Jun 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Doswell station

(built 1920s) at the point where the RF&P and C&O railroads crossed. At the right is the HN tower which once controlled the switching. This site is between US 1 and I95 on SR 688. Robert E. Lee's tent was located to the left toward the small tree during the North Anna battle.

Photographed 11/99 and Contributed by Gill Pollard

Dry Bridge

Built in 1854, it was originally the overseer's cottage for the nearby farm known as Burnetts. It is known as Dry Bridge because the bridge to it goes over dry land, the RF&P railroad.

Photographed 29 March 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Duncan Memorial Chapel

Erected in 1879, it is part of the Randolph-Macon College Complex and is a registered Virginia Historic Landmark.

Photographed 12 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Duncan Memorial Chapel

Plaque embedded in wall above entrance.

Photographed 10 Aug 2008 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Dunn's Chapel

Built in 1883.

Photographed 2 Feb 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz

Eagle Point

Built about 1840. The wing was added. It has original floors and mantels. The farm is now used for raising and training horses.

Photographed 16 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Egypt

Built before the Civil War for Walker Hogan. It's on Cold Harbor Road near the Gaines' Mill battlefield.

Photographed 7 Jun 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Ellington

Circa 1830. It was the home of Dr. Thomas Fox. During the Civil War Battle of the North Anna, General Robert E. Lee was nearly struck by artillery fire while on the porch.

Photographed 15 Apr 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

The Elms

The home of Dr. Thomas Kinny during the Civil War, he cared for the wounded here. There are marks on the floor where the beds were bolted down, as well as blood stains that will not come off.

Photographed 18 Dec 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Elon

Built in 1847 for Linneaus Anderson. It has stood empty for many years.

Photographed 6 Nov 1994 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Enon United Methodist Church

Founded in 1837. One of the largest cavalry battles of the Civil War occurred here. 27 unknown Confederate soldiers are buried in the yard.

Photographed 27 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Fairview

Tradition has it that the structure was built as a tobacco barn that was converted to a dwelling prior to the Civil War.

Photographed 3 May 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Fork Church

Built 1735 it's a church of St. Martin's Parish, deriving it's name from its proximito to the confluence of the North and South Anna Rivers. It maintains many of its early furnishings. Patrick Henry, Dolley Madison and Thomas Nelson Page are among the notable persons who attended services there. From 1893 to 1903 the rector was S. S. Hepburn, grandfather of the actress Katherine Hepburn.

Photographed 21 July 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

French Hay

During the American Revolution the Marquis de Lafayette once had his headquarters on the Sumpter estate. When he returned to France he sent back some hay seed which produced a splendid crop. Neighbors came to get seed, and began to call the place French Hay. The plantation is gone, a victim of development. A Home Depot Store is there now.

Photographed 8 Nov 2002 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Garthright House

Miles and Margaret Garthright lived here through the Civil War. During the Battle of Cold Harbor in June 1864, the Union turned this middle-class plantation into a field hospital. The Garthrights were forced to the basement, where they saw the blood drip through the floor.

Photographed 7 Jun 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Glascock House

Said to have been built around 1784. The right side of the house is the oldest and the adjacent room was built early on, both of log. Both had exterior doors but no connecting door, the logs being too difficult to cut through.

Photographed and Contributed by George Seitz.

Hickory Well

built before the Civil War, it belonged to the Gentry family. It is a frame home over an English basement, two rooms deep with a center hall.

Photographed March 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Hanover Tavern

Built about 1723, it was purchased in 1760 by Patrick Henry's father-in-law, John Shelton. In 1781 Cornwallis stayed there while pursuing Lafayette toward Yorktown

Photographed March 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Holly Hill

There is a brick in the chimney dated 1762. The sills are hewn and put together with wooden pegs.

Photographed 7 May 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Immanuel Episcopal Church

Consecrated 3 April 1854 by the Right Reverend John Johns, it is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark.

Photographed 18 Aug 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Old Jail

Made of stone. Heavily studded double doors mark the only entrance, the outermost made of thick iron bars. It now holds the artifacts of the Hanover County Historical Society.

Photographed 21 July 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Lakewood

Built before 1800. The south wing is the original. It has heavy heart pine doors, five panels with whip-sawn frames.

Photographed 28 Dec 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Laurel Meadow

An English type farmhouse that dates back to the Colonial era. It was reported that General Stonewall Jackson spent the night here in 1862.

Photographed 18 Dec 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Lombardy

from the mid 18th century, it was owned by Revolutionary soldier Major William Duval.

Photographed June 11, 1995 and Contributed by George Seitz

Marl Ridge

Built before the Revolution, it was one and a half story high then. Colonel Tarleton camped there. During the War Between the States, Union Cavalry under General Stoneman and General Sheridan stopped there.

Photographed 27 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Marlbourne

Finished in 1840, it was the home of agriculturist and secessionist Edmund Ruffin. Its name comes from Ruffin's use of marl in preparing his fields. During his time the plantation was an agricultural showplace. Edmund Ruffin has long been given credit for firing the first shot of the Civil War. Marlbourne suffered heavily during the conflict. Family letters speak of the desolation. Ruffin swore he would never live under Union rule. In 1865 he took his own life and is buried on the property.

Photographed 2 Jan 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

McGhee's

Built before the War between the States. It is a frame farm house with an English basement and center hall.

Photographed 30 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Newmarket

The sole survivor of a large plantation complex that once included a gristmill, tanyard and cotton factory. James Doswell, a Revolutionary War veteran, probably built it in the late eighteenth century. It was moved to its present location in 1987.

Photographed 19 Apr 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Oak Forest

Located across the road from Hickory Well, it likely is a Revolutionary War era home. It belonged to the Overton family. The Union army camped there on their way to Cold Harbor.

Photographed March 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Oak Grove

Built in the mid 1780s by the Haw family, ownership remained with that family for 160 years. It was the site of a fierce Civil War cavalry battle.

Photographed March 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Oak Knoll

built before 1840. There was a family graveyard that had a marker listing someone had died there in 1780, indicating there was once an older home on the site. It was on Route 301. Oak Knoll Middle School now occupies the property.

Photographed November 1994 and Contributed by George Seitz

The Oaks

Built before 1850. There is a stain on the floor which, according to tradition, is a blood stain from the Civil War when the wounded were cared for here.

Photographed 18 Dec 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Old Church Tavern

This very old ordinary was once at a very busy crossroads. It is difficult to determine how long it has been there. In 1853 it belonged to Lewis Johnson. In 1858 he sold it to James A. Lipscomb.

Photographed 7 Jun 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Oldfield

Also known as Mr. Dandridge's Place. Circa 1744, the Marquis de LaFayette made a brief stop there in 1781.

Photographed 27 Apr 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Pace-Armistead Hall

At Randolph-Macon College, in Ashland

Photographed 10 Aug 2008 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Pace-Armistead Hall

Plaque on wall, next to entrance door.

Photographed 10 Aug 2008 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Point Lookout

The very old home has been empty for years. It is framed in heavy oak and has heart pine walls and floors. Two of the doors have old-fashioned wooden hinges and are made of heavy oak. The addition of one room has made it L-shaped.

Photographed 16 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Pole Green Church

Founded in 1748 by Reverend Samuel Davies. It stood until 1864 when shells fired by the Richmond Howitzers at Union sharpshooter's in the church caused it ti burn to the ground.

Photographed 30 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Retreat

Called Mt. Brilliant when built by Colonel John Henry. He lived there with his family until his death in 1773. It was later named Retreat and was aquired by Robert Carter Nicholas. Cornwallis made Retreat his headquarters for several days.

Contributed by George Seitz

Rocketts Mill House

On the Newfound River, it was the scene of many skirmishes during the Revolution. It also served as a post office.

Photographed 21 July 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Rural Plains

Built ca. 1725. The home of Sarah Shelton who married Patrick Henry. Severe damage from Southern cannonballs still show on the structure. Union General Winfield S Hancock used it for his II Corps headquarters.

Photographed Aug 2007 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Rutland

The home of the Timberlake family for 200 years. It was built as a story and one-half home before 1810. July 12-21, 1862, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart headquartered here with his 3,000 horse cavalry encampment. After the War, the house was enlarged in the Italianate style and named Rutland. Originally 800 yards southeast of the present site, it was moved by a developer in 2007.

Photographed 7 Sep 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Scotchtown

Best known as Patrick Henry's home from 1771 to 1778. It was built by Charles Chiswell about 1719. [WPA Guide says abt1732]. Dolley Madison lived there as a child. It was acquired by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities and is open to the public.

Photographed 21 July 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Shrubbery Hill

Circa 1838. Built by Nathaniel Crenshaw. His son, John Bacon Crenshaw, a Quaker Minister, inherited it.

Photographed 1 Jul 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Slash Church

Erected in 1729-1732 as the Upper Church of Saint Paul's Parish. Reverend Patrick Henry, uncle of the famous patriot, served as rector from 1737 until 1777. This weatherboard structure survives as the oldest and best-preserved frame colonial church in Virginia.

Photographed 8 Sep 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Squashapenny Junction

It was Darnell's store in Doswell. It now serves as an eclectic antiques store.

Photographed 30 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Stagfield

Built in 1781 by David Rowland. He enlarged it in 1811.

Photographed 23 Apr 1995 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Stomping Branch Farm

Circa 1854. Built by James Davis. At one time it was rented to a son of President Tyler.

Photographed 1 Jul 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Parson Stringfellow's

Uniquely built, with the entrance on the end and the hall running lengthwise. It was the rectory of Fork Church before the present one was built in 1842.

Photographed 15 April 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Swananna

Named for Dr. Thomas Swan. It is from the 1850's.

Photographed 27 Apr 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Sycamore Tavern

Built around 1734, it was a stagecoach stop on the road from Charlottesville to Richmond. It is registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the early twentieth century, Thomas Nelson Page, the noted Virginia author, founded a library there and it continues to serve as such.

Photographed May 21, 2007, and Contributed by George Seitz

Trimmer's Rocketts

Once a tavern. In the Old Church community. In 1837 it belonged to Bentley Tucker. By 1920 it was in the Trimmer family.

Photographed 7 Jun 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Trinity Church

Built in 1830 by the Episcopalians under the leadership of the Reverend John Cooke of the Parish of Saint Martin's

Contributed by George Seitz

Trinity Church Plaque

Sign on church building.

Contributed by George Seitz.

Twin Hill

The construction date is not known. Records indicate it was standing prior to 1846. In January, 1846 Berea Baptist Church was organized in this home.

Photographed 11 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

503 Virginia Street

In Ashland. W.W. Bennett, President of Randolph-Macon College lived here. It was moved from the campus to Virginia Street.

Photographed 29 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Washington and Franklin Hall

A National and Virginia Historic Landmark. It is the first brick building constructed on the campus of Randolph-Macon College in Ashland.

Photographed 29 Oct 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Washington and Franklin Hall

Plaque on building exterior. Built by Washington and Franklin Literary Societies to house the two groups and provide a debating venue.

Photographed 10 Aug 2008 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh

Watt House

Now a part of the Richmond Battlefield Tour, it is believed to have been built about 1836. It was the scene of fierce fighting during the Battle of Gaines' Mill in 1862.

Photographed and Contributed by George Seitz

Westerham

The Georgian style house has walls that are 22 inches thick. It was built before 1850.

Photographed 7 May 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.

White House

Built before the Civil War it is also known as Fielder's Fields.

Photographed August 8, 1994 and Contributed by George Seitz

Wickham School

The one-room school house is 32 feet long and 16 feet wide. It was set to be torn down, but Hanover County Black Heritage researchers have discussed the historic and cultural value of the old school. It's final disposition is undetermined.

Photographed 2 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Woodson's Mill

In operation by 1820, it was purchased by Calvin Woodson in 1915. He was the last miller to own it. He died in 1953.

Photographed 11 May 2010 and Contributed by George Seitz.


Go To

VAGenWeb Photo Album

Hanover County VAGenWeb

Guidelines