Fauquier County Photo Album Index

Please use your "back" key to return to index

Click on thumbnail to see larger picture

ADAMS plantation house

Front view of the John and Sarah Stacy
(GIBBONS) ADAMS plantation house. This home is approximately 230 years old and is still in use today. The home is on Hwy 724 outside of Delaplane.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Ashby Plantation

A partial view of the Ashby plantation known as "Greenland" in Fauquier County, VA. Taken from the Ashby Graveyard on a hill in one of the fields.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

The Ashby Inn

The Ashby Inn (an 1829 residence) in Paris, now a famous Bed and Breakfast Inn with a restaurant.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Ashby Cemetery

An overview of the Ashby Cemetery located on the Ashby plantation "Greenland" off Hwy 724. The monument was erected in memory of the "Ashby Family of Fauquier County."

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Ashlawn Farms

Home of Jacob Holtzclaw, the Immigrant. Built around 1728, along the Snickersville Turnpike, just outside of Warrenton, on Holtzclaw Road.

Contributed by Barbara Price

Belle Grove Plantation

"Belle Grove" plantation on Hwy 17 between Delaplane and Paris. The older portion of the main house was built about 1780 by John Edmonds and the main portions about 1812 by Isaac Settle. The house was received as her dowery by Isaac's daughter Betsey when she married Lewis Edmonds.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Bittersweet

Located west of Middleburg. Originally the home of Charles Chinn and wife Scythia Davis. Built around 1766. Charles was the son of Rawleigh Chinn and Margaret Ball Downman.

Contributed by Janean Ray

Bittersweet

Another view.

Contributed by Janean Ray

Brent - Payne House

On Lee Street in Warrenton. Built in 1834 for Robert Brent. Home from 1866 to 1901 to Confederate General William Henry Fitzhugh Payne, chief of the Black Horse Cavalry, whose reunions were held there.

Photographed 1 Feb 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Brentmoor

On Main Street in Warrenton. Also known as the Spilman-Mosby House. This classic Italian-villa style house was completed in 1861 for Fauquier County judge Edward M. Spilman. James Keith, who later served as president of the Virginia State Court of Appeals, acquired it in 1869. Renowned Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby purchased the dwelling in 1875.

Photographed 1 Feb 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Chinn Cemetery

Located in backyard of Bittersweet, above.

Contributed by Janean Ray

Cobblestone Mountain

Contributed by Jim Borland

Confederate Monument

In Warrenton Cemetery. For 600 fallen Confederate soldiers who died in hospitals following the Battles of First and Second Manassas who were disinterred from their unmarked graves and reinterred beneath this granite monument.

Photographed 2 Dec 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz

Court House

Photographed and contributed by E. K. Frederick

Court House

Photographed and contributed by E. K. Frederick

Fauquier Club

Built in 1847 as a private residence, this three story Greek Revival structure has been a private club since 1904.

Photographed 1 Feb 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Fleetwood Roller Mill

Fleetwood Roller Mill located on Hwy 17 between Paris and Delaplane in Fauquier County, VA. The stonewall in the foreground is representative of the walls/fences throughout the county as well as the beautiful landscape.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Grace Episcopal Church

The first simple wooden church was begun in 1868 and called Emmanuel Chapel. That building was destroyed by fire in 1908, and the present church was built in 1909.

Photographed 11 Nov 2007 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Hamilton Church

Photographed and contributed by E. K. Frederick

Old Jail

.

Photographed and contributed by E. K. Frederick

Main Street, Paris VA

The white building used to be the old grocery store and next to it is the church and then the old school house.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Leeds Church

Photographed and contributed by E. K. Frederick

Entrance to Moreland

Entrance to "Moreland" and also the site of another Adams Graveyard in Fauquier County, VA.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Moreland

Fauquier County landscape from "Moreland" plantation entrance

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

North Wales

Farm with unknown signifance to Eubank family

Photographed c1930's and Contributed by Virginia Bush

Rattlesnake Mountain

Contributed by Jim Borland

Rector House

A random rubble stone dwelling built circa 1830. It is at Rector's Crossroads, renamed Artoka. Here on June 10, 1863, Colonel John Singleton Mosby officially formed Company A of the 43rd Virginia Cavalry known as Mosby's Rangers. On June 23, 1863, J.E.B. Stuart was headquartered here when he received orders from Robert E. Lee concerning the cavalry's route in what became the Gettysburg Campaign.

Photographed 14 Sep 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

7260 Rector Lane

This 1-1/2 story, 4-bay, gable-roofed log house has a central stone chimney and may have been constructed in two sections. It has two front doors and the left 2-bay portion is at a lower level than the right 2-bay portion. The walls are covered in German-lap siding and the roof in standing-seam metal. It is a Registered Virginia Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.

Photographed 14 Sep 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Rector's Store

Constructed in 1893 by Asa Rector. The gable-end, frame store with an intact central storefront entrance is a Registered Virginia Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.

Photographed 14 Sep 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Rolling Hills

View across the rolling Fauquier County hills towards Delaplane from the dormer window of the Ashby Inn in Paris, VA.

Photographed and contributed by Sandy Onbey

Setler House

James Thomas Setler, his wife and children in front of their home in Orlean, Virginia, Fauquier County, VA. The house survives.

Contributed by Michele Garrett

Setler House

Current Photo

Contributed by Michele Garrett

Trinity Episcopal Church

In Upperville. The present church is the third building on the site, the first having been built in 1842 and the second in 1895. The first service in the new church was held in 1960.

Photographed 18 Jan 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz

Warrenton Masonic Building

The 1876 structure on Culpeper Street contained the first elevator in Warrenton.

Photographed 1 Feb 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Warrenton Presbyterian Church

Built in 1855 to replace an earlier 1850 church destroyed by tornado. It served as a hospital during the Civil War; patients on the sanctuary floor, horses in the basement.

Photographed 1 Feb 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Warrenton Town Hall and Fire Department

The site of a Methodist Church but converted in 1870 to the Warrenton Town Hall and Fire Department until 1977 when turned into shops.

Photographed 1 Feb 2009 and Contributed by George Seitz.

Waverly

Original portion built about 1755 by Charles Chinn as a tenant house. 1801 sold to William Hale and bequeathed to his daughter Frances who added second story. Today is known as Piedmont Vineyards

Contributed by Janean Ray

Westminister Church

In Delaplane. Some of Mosby's Rangers are buried in the cemetery.

Photographed 18 Jan 2008 and Contributed by George Seitz


Go To

VAGenWeb Photo Album

Fauquier City VAGenWeb

Guidelines