[Original land warrants and patents can be seen on the Survey Maps, and land owners can be seen on the 1872 Atlas.]
[p. 330] One of the original townships of the county before the erection of Lawrence, within the bounds of Beaver County, was Slippery Rock, which is one of the larger divisions of Lawrence County, having an area of about 18,700 acres. Its surface is much diversified, but for the most part is very hilly. Along Slippery Rock and Muddy Creeks and the smaller tributaries of the former, there are many localities of nearly primitive wildness. Almost the entire distance along Slippery Rock Creek, from its entrance to the northeast part of the township to the spot where it crosses the southern line and enters Wayne, is one grand display of nature's beauties.
Slippery Rock Creek affords excellent power, and the fact was not overlooked by settlers, for mills were erected on its banks at an early period, some of which are yet in operation, though numbers have been abandoned.
The soil of the township is generally well adapted to the growth of various agricultural products. Coal, limestone and iron ore abound, the former in immense quantities, and with both the mineral and agricultural resources it possesses, the township may be ranked among the foremost in the country. The coal vein averages about thirty or thirty-two inches in thickness in the southern part of the township, and is generally of a fine quality. During the fall of 1876, Nesbit & Dimick, an oil firm, bored a test well on the farm of Jacob Shaffer, in what is known as "Cove Hollow." These gentlemen put down a well in Wayne Township in the summer of 1875, several hundred feet, but found no oil. They concluded, judging from the Butler County oil districts, that they were too far south, and consequently came to Slippery Rock Township, but met with no greater success than in Wayne, although the showing was much better. Manufacturing of different kinds has been carried on in the township to greater or less extent, several iron furnaces having been operated on native ores.
In the southern part of the township are two "darksome dells," called respectively "Hell's (or Big) Hollow," and "Cove Hollow." In each of these hollows a small stream threads its way along, and in each the stream disappears through a hole in the rocky surface of the ground, and after running underground for some distance, reappears below. "Hell's Hollow" was named by the early settlers, the appellation being an appropriate one, for a gloomier place can hardly be found. It is related that the origin of the name comes from the fact that a traveler in an early day passed the night in the hollow, and when asked the next day where he had slept, answered that he "didn't know, unless it was in hell!" "Cove Hollow" derives its name from a "Cove" or recess formed by an overhanging rock somewhere within it.
A greater portion of the land in Slippery Rock Township is in the First Donation District. A portion in the southern part is in the "Chew District." Benjamin Chew was a resident of Philadelphia, and had several thousand acres of land in the southern part of what is now Lawrence County, and settlers were entitled to half a tract (tracts included 40 [sic, 400?] acres) for settling. After Mr. Chew died, his son, Benjamin Chew, Jr., attended to the business. [p. 331] He laid out the village of Chewton, in Wayne Township.
The township contains the village of Princeton and Rose Point, or "Stonertown," both situated in old settled districts, and averaging well with other villages of their size in the country.
Matthew Young, who came from Ireland about 1797-98 settled in the township about the spring of 1813, on the farm owned at a later period by Robert Young.* He had first stopped near Noblestown, Allegheny County, and was married there. He afterwards removed to a place in Beaver County, near the present village of Enon Valley.
*Another authority says on the farm owned by David Heckathorn.
Robert and John Burnside came from Ireland in 1817. Robert settled the place which in more recent times has been known as the Samuel Burnside farm, and made the first improvements upon it. John Burnside was the first settler on the place later owned by John Fox, into whose possession it came about 1836.
Peter Fox came from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1809, and settled on the east side of Slippery Rock Creek, on the farm later owned by Thomas L. Kelty, Jr. Mr. Fox afterwards purchased a farm in the north part of the township.
A grist mill was built by Jacob and John Fox, on Slippery Rock Creek, about 1828. It was a frame building, containing one run of stone. This mill was purchased by Enoch Dean, who tore it down, and, about 1830, built the one now standing, containing four run of stone. Jacob and John Fox built a log dam, sheeted with plank and split timber. It was removed, and a stone dam put in by Hosea Kennedy. That as washed away, and the stone dam now standing put in by the same man. Andrew Fox owned the mill a short time, just previous to the Rebellion. He sold it to Hosea Kennedy.
Andrew Standley came from New Jersey in 1815, and located first in New Castle. He built a house and lived there a number of years, but about 1826-27 purchased a farm in Slippery Rock Township, upon which he moved. Mr. Standley was twenty-one years old when he located in New Castle, and while there followed the trade of a carpenter, conducting a shop.
James Taylor settled early on the farm owned later, successively, by William Hoyne and Orville Jackson.
Miller Kennedy came originally from Emmetsburg, Frederick County, Maryland, was located in Westmoreland County Pennsylvania, some years, and about 1808 settled near the site of the present village of Princeton. He settled 100 acres, purchasing it from James Mower, who lived near the mouth of Beaver River. He came out in the spring of the year, and, after making the improvements on the place, he, in the fall, put in a small piece of wheat. After Mr. Kennedy settled near Princeton, he purchased two additional farms, one of them that on which his son, Henry, afterwards lived, north of Rose Point. Henry Kennedy was the first settler in this place, as late as 1824. He is now dead.
Samuel Stickle came from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, about 1803, and located on the farm later owned by James P. Aiken and Samuel Stickle, Jr. The family stopped one night before they reached their new home on the bank of the run which empties into Slippery Rock Creek, just below the village of Rose Point. Several of their descendants reside in the township now.
George, James and Margaret Kildoo settled in the township about 1802. James and Margaret were children, and George was twenty or twenty-five years old. Their father died before they came out, and they came alone into the wilderness. George went back after provisions, and left the younger ones alone for six weeks. Every night the wolves came snarling around the [p. 332] cabin, and it was no pleasant situation to be in.
George Fischer came about 1801-2, and settled on what is known as the Jacob Fischer farm. After George Fischer died, his son, Henry, purchased the interest of the rest of the heirs. Henry Fischer died in the fall of 1875, and his son, Jacob, then came into possession of the place.
John Motherlin came about 1800, and located first on the E. M. McMillin place, northeast of Princeton. Motherlin was from Chester County, Pennsylvania. He afterwards went to Canada, where he died. His family after his death settled the farm afterwards owned by Alexander Frew, near Princeton.
About 1770-71, John Frew was brought from Ireland by his parents, being but eighteen months old at the time. His parents first settled in the State of Maryland, and afterwards removed to Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. About 1794-95, John Frew started for what is now Lawrence County, and on the way met a man who had been out and made improvements on a 400-acre tract of land in the Chew district. He was open to a bargain, and Mr. Frew purchased his claim for a trifle, and came on and found the place corresponding with the description given him by the man from whom he bought it. A small cabin had been built on the tract, and a clearing made. The next year after he purchased the farm, Mr. Frew brought the whole family to it from Westmoreland County, and made a permanent settlement. In the winter of 1800 or 1801, Mr. Frew made a trip to Ligonier Valley, Westmoreland County, and when he returned he brought a wife with him. Her maiden name was Margaret Hammill. In the latter part of 1801 (November 18th) their son, Alexander Frew, was born. Mr. Frew raised grain the same year the family came out, and a year or two afterwards set out an orchard. John Frew was the first one of the family married after they came to Lawrence County, and Alexander Frew was one of the first white children born in the township.
Nathan Hazen, son of Nathaniel Hazen, a Revolutionary soldier, came from the valley of the Conoquenessing, in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, about 1810-11, and bought a 200-acre tract of land where his son, Levi Hazen, lately lived. He was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and came from there when young.
The J. W. Boak farm in Slippery Rock Township was patented to the widow of Abraham Morris, in trust for her children. Her husband was a private in the Revolutionary Army. On the 27th of September, 1815, the land was conveyed to William Wigton, who was the first settler on the place. He owned it until 1831, when he sold it to George Magee.
Charles Boak settled about 1815, on the farm owned later by his son, Aaron Boak. He came from Ireland in the year 1800, and at first stopped in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He first settled on the tract he located in this township, purchasing 115 acres. He moved from Lancaster County to Dauphin, thence to Beaver, and finally to Lawrence.
James Mullen settled the tract afterwards owned by his son, James Mullen, Jr., in the year 1800. He was from Washington County, Pennsylvania, where he lived in the same neighborhood with John Shaw, who also arrived in the neighborhood in 1800. Mr. Mullen and Mr. Shaw settled a 200-acre tract between them. Mr. Mullen leased his part for a while to a man named Joseph Buck of Buckmaster, who, with his brother, Joshua, had been in the neighborhood since an early period.
Edward McMillin located on the farm subsequently owned by Archibald McMillin, in 1822. He was a native of York County, Pennsylvania. His parents moved from there to Mifflin County, thence to Westmoreland, coming to the latter county in 1818. There they lived until 1822, when they removed to what is now Lawrence County.[p. 333]
The farm known as the Abraham Shaffer farm, located about one and one-half miles south of the village of Princeton, was originally settled by Jacob Shaffer, about 1809-10. The tract originally contained 20 acres, and is lot number ninety-eight of the First Donation District. Mr. Shaffer settled the east 100 acres of the tract, and Miller Kennedy the west 100. Kennedy came about 1808. Jacob Shaffer was a native of Adams County, Pennsylvania, his old home being just across the line from Emmetsburg, Frederick County, Maryland.
The Charles Dombaugh farm was originally settled by a German named George Herbst, about 1804-05. Mr. Herbst was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, his parents having come from Germany.
Solomon Fischer, whose father, George Fischer, settled below Rose Point, came from the farm adjoining the Thomas J. Kelty, Jr., farm, about 1816. His brother, John Fischer, was the only one of the family old enough to be drafted during the War of 1812, and was the only one who went out.
Johnson Knight came to Philadelphia about 1815-16, from the State of Maine, and in 1818 came to the farm now owned by a Mr. McDaniel, just in the edge of Butler County, a portion of the original tract being in Lawrence County. Mr. Knight was the first settler on the place, and made the first improvements. He purchased a mill site on Slippery Rock Creek, from Thomas Wilson, who lived on the west side of the stream, and in 1824-25, or soon after, built a grist mill, a sawmill, a carding mill and an oil mill. He also built the first dam across the creek at the place, and afterwards built another one, farther down the stream. In 1874 the second dam was washed away. The present dam, at the McConnell mill, is twelve and a half feet high. In the carding mill Mr. Knight had three sets of machinery, the "picker," "breaker" and "finisher." He never did any spinning. The wool was brought in by the neighbors, who would take it after it was carded and make it up themselves. These mills were all frame structures. In the grist mill he at first placed two runs of stone, and afterward added a third. He built a second grist mill, farther down the stream. None of the old Knight mills are now standing.
Thomas J. Kelty came originally from Ireland, and, about 1824, located on the farm now owned by his grandson, Thomas J. Kelty, Jr. The tract had been settled by Peter Fox, in 1809. Fox settled on the west side of it, but on the present Kelty farm he had made a clearing and planted an orchard. Arthur and Samuel Kelty built a grist mill on Slippery Rock Creek, above the present McConnell mill, in 1835. It was a frame mill, and was afterwards burned down. A second mill was built on the spot. The Keltys may have had a sawmill also, but the present sawmill was built by James Allen, about 1854.
Daniel Kennedy built a grist mill about 1852 on the same foundation on which the present mill, owned by McConnell, stands. It was burned down in November, 1868 (possibly 1867), and the present mill put up two years afterwards. The old mill had four runs of stone, was four and a half stories high, including the basement, and did a flourishing business. The second mill was built by Mr. Kennedy, and the property was purchased, after his death, by Messrs. Mehard, Oliver & Graham. In May, 1875, the firm of McConnell, Wilson & Co. came into possession. This mill, as was the old one, is a frame structure, with a stone foundation and basement.
Thomas Kildoo, who was from Washington County, Pennsylvania, settled previous to 1800, on what afterwards was known as the T. J. Ramsey farm.
Phillip Young settled in 1807 on the farm still owned by the family. He came from Maryland with his wife and three children, and settled on a 200-acre tract of Donation land, afterwards selling all [p. 334] but 100 acres. Mr. Young was the first settler on the place, and made the first improvements.
In the same neighborhood with the Youngs, five other families had settled prior to 1806. These were George Fischer, Samuel Stickle, George Herbst, Michael Saddler and Michael Saddler, Jr.
The Lawrence furnace, located about two miles south of Princeton, was built about 1865-66 by Emery, Culbertson & Breckenridge. These parties carried it on for some time, and finally disposed of it to Kennedy, Campbell & Co. Both these firms failed, and the furnace was secured by Messrs, Foltz & Jordan. The furnace has not been in blast since some time during 1875. The ore used was taken out in the neighborhood, and was of the quality known as "red ore," most of it coming from the ore banks of the Houk Brothers, in Shenango Township. The limestone used in the furnaces was taken out close by; it is thin and brittle, making good lime, and in color is bluish gray. The coal used was also taken from the hill near by, but the fuel principally used was charcoal. Ten to twelve men were employed about the furnace while in operation, besides those engaged in hauling ore.
Some of the settlers of the township were descendants of Revolutionary Soldiers, but we have found no record of a soldier of that war settling in the township.
In the War of 1812 Slippery Rock was well represented. Wilson Kildoo commanded a company which was raised in the vicinity, and took it to Erie. Captain Kildoo was a son of Thomas Kildoo who came to the township previous to the year 1800. Jacob Shaffer served in Captain William Morton's company, which went to Erie, Black Rock, etc. James Mullen and John Fischer were also out. James Kildoo was out four or five weeks at Erie. John Frew was out, and served as orderly sergeant. John Boston went, and carried a rifle belonging to Peter Fox, Mr. Fox being so crippled with rheumatism that he could not go himself.
Among the organizations afterwards in the township was a rifle company called the "Donation Guards," organized at Princeton about 1842-43. Henry Hazen, of Shenango Township, was the first captain. Mr. Hazen died, and was succeeded as captain of the organization by James Leslie (father of the late J. P. Leslie, of New Castle). James Gaston was one of the lieutenants. The uniform of the "Donation Guards" was black coat, white pants, green leggings with red stripes, red sash, shoulder straps bound with red braid, black hat with white cord and red plume. They were armed with common rifles.
A rifle company called the "Princeton Guards" was organized about 1845, with John Randolph as captain and George Eckles first lieutenant. This company served several years. Its uniform was a blue coat, with white pants, red sash hat with red cord and tassel. Its members were armed with rifles. Captain Randolph had been a volunteer officer in a company at Porterville, Butler County, for eleven years. It was originally a company which went to Black Rock during the War of 1812, and the organization was kept up afterwards, being a part of the "Jackson Battalion," which mustered at Harmony, Butler County.
Some time before the Rebellion, a company of infantry, called the "Ringgold Guards" was organized by men from New Castle, Princeton and Portersville, with William Hall as captain.
Captain Kline and Dr. Randolph raised a small company just before the war, which, when the war broke out, consolidated with another company at Eastbrook, in Hickory Township, and went out as Company F, of the One Hundredth (Roundhead) Regiment, comanded by Colonel Daniel Leasure, of New Castle.[p. 337]
The site where this village now stands was first settled by Abraham Wigle, who came from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, with Samuel Stickle. He had been an apprentice to Mr. Stickle, a gunsmith, and about 1803 came with the latter to the township and finished his apprenticeship. He afterwards went to Pittsburg, and while there purchased the farm on a part of which the village of Rose Point stands. To this farm Mr. Wigle came in 1804-5. Some time prior to 1825-6 he built a grist mill and a sawmill on the run just southwest of where the village now stands, near the point at which the road crosses the stream. This was the first mill near the place, and was washed away by high water some time afterwards.
About 1850, John Stoner purchased the land on which the village stands, and a small cluster of houses was soon built, the place taking the name of Stonertown, from Mr. Stoner. The postoffice, established about 1855-58, was given the name of Rose Point, and Joseph Aiken was made the first postmaster.
About 1848-50, a man named McMaster built a carding machine and a grist mill on the creek. Neither is now in use.
A man named Edgar had probably the first store in the place, and Jesse and Samuel Jones built one afterwards. Joseph Aiken also engaged in conducting a store.
The first blacksmith shop was owned by John Chesney.
The Catholics have a frame church southwest of the town, erected in the fall of 1874.
The Reformed Presbyterian Church was organized in May, 1834, through the efforts of Matthew Stewart, Thomas Speer, Thomas Wilson and John Love. A frame church was built in 1833-34, and used until 1871, when it was abandoned, and the neat and substantial brick edifice now standing erected. A Sabbath-school was, within a few years, organized. The first pastor of this congregation was probably Rev. James Blackwood, who preached in all the Reformed Presbyterian churches throughout this section of the State, getting around to each at long intervals. The first regular pastor was Rev. Thomas Hanney, and he was succeeded by Rev. J. C. Smith.
Rev. Andrew Blackwood preached as a missionary previous to 1833, and was pastor for seventeen years. He preached in Lawrence, Mercer, Beaver and Butler Counties, and from what was his original congregation, five separate congregations have been formed. He died in 1851. Rev. Thomas Hanney was installed pastor November 17, 1852, and served nine years, until October, 1861. Rev. J. C. Smith entered the ministry here. He was ordained and installed in New Castle (which was then a part of the congregation), in January, 1863.
The schoolhouse in the village was built about 1860-62.
The Willie Roy furnace was built by Stewart & Foltz, about 1854. The "red ore" was used and was procured close by, as was also the limestone and coal. These men sold it to Smith & Collins, who leased it afterwards to Martin Wilson. It later fell into possession of the Philadelphia Oil Company, and has not been in operation for many years.
Hope furnace was built by Emery & Culbertson, who had a furnace also in the southern part of Plaingrove Township, at "Georgetown." The limestone used is found in abundance along the creek, and though unfit for building purposes, it burns freely, making a beautiful white lime. Hope furnace finally became the property of Brown Brothers, of Pittsburg.
The village is located on a high hill, several hundred feet above the waters of the Slippery Rock, the situation being most picturesque and beautiful.
J. W. McClymond (present postmaster) has been proprietor of the leading store at [p. 338] this place since 1902. W. R. Stewart is a general merchant here. His store was purchased from J. N. Wagner.
This town was laid out by John Randolph, who came to the place in March, 1841, and laid out the town during the summer of that year. He named it in honor of his father's natal city, Princeton, N.J. Mr. Randolph and David Fetter built each a house the same year, and Mr. Fetter opened a shoe shop. John Eckles bought Fetter out, and put in a small store, the first one in the village. Mr. Randolph purchased the store, and carried on the business for six years, when he sold to James Sharp, who in turn sold to James Frew.
While Sharp was running his store, Anthony Henderson also started one in another building. Mr. Henderson sold out his goods, and Samuel C. Stewart put a stock in the same building, and kept store for a few years.
Charles Johnston opened a stock of goods in the Frew building, which was burned down two years later. In the meantime John Randolph had purchased the Henderson store, which he rented to Johnston after the fire. A year or two afterwards, Mr. Randolph bought out Johnston, and soon sold to W. Gibson. Gibson sold to William Frew, who took in James A. Gardner as a partner, and finally sold to him. Gardner sold to Joseph and Albert Frew; they sold to William Frew.
A postal route was established some time between 1842 and 1845, between New Castle and Butler, through Princeton, and afterwards through Rose Point. A postoffice was established at Princeton a year after the route was established. The first postmaster was Alexander Aiken, and others who filled that office in the early days were John Randolph (who held it five years), James Frew, Abraham McCurdy, Charles Johnston, Abraham McCurdy and E. L. Hoon.
Elisha Moore had the first blacksmith shop, and J. B. White the second. Robert Manning, who worked with Mr. White, succeeded the latter as owner, and continued the business until his death in 1908. Another shop was opened by a German in the fall of 1876. John Randolph opened the first harness shop in 1843. David Fetter opened the first shoe shop in 1841, and was followed by Sebastian Mersheimer; then Abraham McCurdy, Jr., Milton Walton, John Whitling, and William Ballard.
A two-story brick schoolhouse was built in the fall and winter of 1876.
About 1848 or 1849 Jesse B. Rutter opened a tavern, the only one ever opened in the place, and conducted it about a year.
Abraham Sechler has conducted a marble business here since 1887. William D. Walton has had a general store here since 1900. Scott Kildoo is proprietor of the principal store and is postmaster.
The first physician was Clement C. Pearson, followed by James W. Eckles, William J. Randolph (lately of Kansas), Thomas Rhodes, A. M. Cowden, Montgomery Linville (now of New Castle) and Dr. John C. McKee, since dead.
Memorial Presbyterian Church.—The "Hermon" Reformed Presbyterian Church, north of Princeton, was divided in the fall of 1868, and a part of the old congregation organized a Presbyterian congregation, and held meetings for one summer in the Shaw schoolhouse. They built a temporary structure, which they called the "Tabernacle," and used it for two years. In 1870 a frame church was built in Princeton. Rev. Robert McMillan, who had been pastor of the Reformed Presbyterian Church for a number of years, was the first pastor of the "Memorial" congregation, and preacher for them until June, 1875, when he was obliged to cease his labors on account of failing health.
Rev. Alvin M. Reed was ordained and installed in June, 1876.[p. 339]
The present congregation finally purchased the old "Hermon" church, holding meetings there, and at Princeton, Mr. Reed dividing his time between the two places.
A schoolhouse was built on the Fox farm, in the northern part of the township, about 1828-30, and was one of the first in the neighborhood.
A primitive log schoolhouse was built in 1810-12 on the farm where Phillip Young lived, and stood near his house. It was the first in that part of the township, and the first teacher was Cornelius William Stafford, an Englishman.
Another schoolhouse, of the same type as the Young school, was built about three miles southwest of the present village of Princeton, and was the first in that vicinity. It was probably built about 1808-12. The first teacher was a Virginian, named Jehu Lewis.
A schoolhouse was built in "Shady Dell" soon after the passage of the free school law in 1834, and in the summer of 1875, a new one was erected in that district, farther down the road towards the creek.
About 1810-12 a "log cabin" schoolhouse was built on a portion of what in later years has been known as the George Shaw farm. William Wigton was the first teacher of whom we have any knowledge, but as he came to the township in 1815, it is probable that others taught before him.
A United Presbyterian Church was built in the summer of 1875, on land taken from the farm of E. M. McMillin. The congregation is a part of the old "Hermon" United Presbyterian congregation, and was originally organized as a Reformed Presbyterian, that congregation dividing in the fall of 1868. The society held meetings for some time after the division in the old church, and Revs. Graham and Whitten preached to them.
Hermon Reformed Presbyterian Church was organized about 1840 by Rev. Josiah Hutchman. After him came Revs. Riley McMillan and Robert McMillan. During the latter's pastorate it was divided, part organizing as a Presbyterian congregation and remaining for a while in the old church under the pastoral charge of Revs. Robert Graham and James Whitten. The United Presbyterian congregation finally built a new church, and the "Hermon" church building was purchased by the Presbyterians of Princeton. Rev. Robert McMillan, who was preaching when the old church divided, went with the Presbyterian portion of his congregation, and finally gave up his charge on account of failing health. The church was built on land from the farm of George Shaw, and is still standing. The graveyard was taken from William Munnel's farm, on the opposite side of the road.
A Christian Church was organized about 1864-65, and meetings were held in schoolhouse "number two" until about 1868-69, at which time a frame church was built, on land taken from the farm of Joseph Pearce. Their first pastor was Rev. O. Higgins, who organized the congregation. Among the pastors who subsequently had charge are Revs. S. B. Teegarden, Dr. Halleck, Cushman and Davies.
A Lutheran Church, a rude log structure, was built about 1825, on the farm of George Herbert. It was organized as a German Evangelical Lutheran congregation, and the first pastor was probably Rev. Hewitt, who preached some time before the church was built. He also preached to the society at Harlansburg as early as 1800, so the organization of the congregation in Slippery Rock must have been not long after. They held their meetings in private houses and barns for years. Rev. Mr. Hilger came next, and he in turn was followed by Rev. Kranz. For some time after Mr. Kranz left them there were no meetings held, probably for a number of years. In 1862 an English Evangelical Lutheran organization was effected, under [p. 340] the charge of Rev. A. H. Waters. He preached until about 1866, and after him Rev. Louis Hippee took charge. Rev. S. H. Swingle preached one year, and since his time the church has been supplied. The brick church now standing was built soon after the new organization was completed, and is located a mile and a half west of the old church. The church is called the "Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran.
Harmony Baptist Church was constituted November 2, 1849, and Nathan Hazen gave a little over an acre of land for church and graveyard; the church building, which was commenced in 1851 and finished in 1853, occupies the south part of the lot. The church was organized in a schoolhouse which stood on the west side of the road. The first Baptists in the neighborhood were John Hazen and his wife, Rebecca, and Nathan Hazen and his Wife, Lavina. These had been members of Providence church in Beaver County. Harmony Church was constituted by Revs. Samuel Stoughton, Jacob Morris, Daniel Daniels, Levi Ross and A. G. Kirk, with a membership of eleven. The following were the original members: John Hazen, Nathan Hazen, O. J. Hazen, Levi Hazen, Samuel Baldwin, Rachel Hazen, Rebecca Hazen, Elizabeth Sherrard, Nancy Houk and Rebecca Newton. The first ministers who preached here were Thomas and Daniel Daniels. The first pastor after the church was constituted was Rev. Levi Ross, who preached from 1849 until 1854. The church was built during his pastorate. Among the early preachers who followed Rev. Ross were Daniel Daniels, Samuel Godshall, Gabriel Lanahan, Rev. A. G. Kirk, Rev. John Parker, Rev. John Moses and D. L. Clouse. The deacons of the church, previous to 1860 were John Hazen, Nathan Hazen, William Hazen and Oliver Hazen, none of whom are now living. The church stands close to the western line of the township, and is about seven miles southeast of New Castle.
The number of schools in Slippery Rock Township in 1908 was eleven, having an enrollment of 310 school children. The eleven teachers were paid $3,453, and the total expended for school purposes was $7,398.55. The average length of school term is seven months.
20th Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens Hon. Aaron L. Hazen Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1908
Chapter XV Shenango | Table of Contents | Chapter XV Taylor
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 22 Mar 2002