History of Lawrence County Pennsylvania, 1770 - 1877, by S.W. and P.A. Durant.
To write the medical history of a county or of an individual is a matter attended with much difficulty. For, according to the strict but just code of ethics adopted by the American Medical Association (that supreme court of medicine to whose decisions all honorable physicians must bow), mention must not be made concerning any case or operation to which the individual might owe his reputation. His general attributes, his professional standing, his individual qualities, may all be freely commented upon, but beyond this nothing can be written.
In this particular a vast difference exists between the medical and legal professions. Physicians are judged by their results; lawyers by their efforts. A lawyer may lose a case, yet, by brilliant management and able pleading, establish a permanent reputation—a physician never. Whatever skill or professional judgment he may bring to bear upon any individual case, if the patient dies, his efforts, so far as his professional honor and reputation are concerned (to the public), are lost.
CORNELIUS HENDRICKSON, who settled in New Castle in the year 1799,* was the first who professed the healing art or attempted to practice medicine in Lawrence county. He dealt in herbs and simples, and doubtless, in the absence of any higher medical authority, accomplished much good by his superior knowledge of domestic remedies. He did not claim to be a regular physician, but was always known as "Dr. Hendrickson."
*Some authorities say 1798.
The first regular practitioner of medicine who settled in New Castle, and we believe in Lawrence county, who practiced medicine as a means of livelihood, and to whom the title of M. D. was due, was DR. JOHN DICKEY, who practiced here successfully until the war of 1812, when he entered the army and died in the service in the year 1813.
The Second physician who practiced in this place was DR. ALEXANDER GILLFILLAN. He was a native of Ireland, and was born in the year 1785. He settled in New Castle in the year 1813, and practiced in this locality about two years, when he was accidentally drowned while seining in the Neshannock creek, the 17th of June, 1815. It was not known whether he was a regular graduate of medicine or not, but he must have had a medical education from the fact that for some years before he settled in New Castle he was a surgeon in the United States regular army.
The next physician was a Dr. QUIMBY, who was followed by Dr. STEVENSON and Dr. CRIBBLE. Not much can be learned of these latter gentlemen beyond the fact that they practiced medicine for some time in this vicinity, for they soon departed for other and perhaps more extensive fields.
One of the earliest and certainly one of the most successful physicians of the county was DR. WILLIAM H. SHAW. He was born in Troy, N. Y., in 1790. He received a regular collegiate education, and choosing medicine as a profession, graduated in the city of New York. He took part in the war of 1812, first as a volunteer, subsequently as a surgeon. He first settled in Jamestown, New York, but left there finally with the intention of locating at some eligible point in the west or southwest. His library he shipped by boat, intending to intercept it, at some point on the Ohio river, while he came overland. Upon arriving at New Castle he put up at a tavern kept by Alexander Hawthorne. He then had no intention of settling in New Castle, but, on account of high water in the streams, he was compelled to stop, as he thought for only a few days, but the fact becoming known that he was a physician, his services were requested in several cases, and it finally resulted in his making New Castle a place of permanent residence. He never heard afterwards of his library which he had shipped by boat. Dr. Shaw's practice was very extensive, and he rode over a large district of country. He was a man of a noble heart and generous impulses, and few, if any, did so much during his early practice, for which there was no return so far as pecuniary compensation may be considered. He adhered to the old school of practice, and had a profound contempt for anything that had the taint of quackery or charlatanism.
Shortly after the death of his wife he determined to gratify,a life-long desire to travel. Accordingly, in 1849, in company with his son James, he started by overland route for California, and, notwithstanding his age and the almost insurmountable obstacles to overcome, he arrived there finally in a better state of health than when he started. He spent between two and three years in the land of gold, visiting points of interest, and arrived home in December, 1851, by way of Panama and New Orleans.
Kansas next offered him many points of attraction, and in April, 1856, in company with about fifteen others of decided "free soil" proclivities, he left New Castle for the land of minerals. He returned again in the Fall of the same year. In the following Spring he again went to Kansas, locating in the southern part of the State, and commenced planting fruit trees, vines, &c., but he had not accomplished much until death came and thwarted all his well-laid plans. He died on the 8th of November, 1857.
DR. A. W. COWDEN was one of the early practitioners of the county, and a very successful one. He settled in New Castle in the year 1829,. and followed his profession in this vicinity until 1865, when he removed to Princeton, where he died December 6, 1875.
Dr. Cowden was not a regular graduate of medicine, but he was a close observer of disease, and an excellent diagnostician, rivaling many who had the superior advantage of an early medical education. As a man, he was genial and whole-souled; always cheerful, always affable, but with these qualities somewhat sullied with his jealousy of new doctors, or "new fangled" ideas of medicine. Unfortunately, like many physicians, especially those of the earlier days, he was a poor collector, and after practicing arduously for more than forty years, was but little better off, financially, than when he commenced his career; for in those times a load of refuse hay or straw was considered sufficient to pay for a whole year's "doctoring."
DR. POLLOCK settled about four miles south of New Castle, in 1826. He was born in the year 1788, and finished his collegiate course in 1808. In 1810 he commenced the practice of medicine in Washington county, near Monongahela City. Dr. Pollock was known, not only for his medical abilities, but was recognized as one of the leading men in the western part of the State, and was a frequent contributor to various periodicals, on many questions that were of interest to the public. Many of his articles are used as historical data to this day. Among other articles, he wrote a complete and succinct history of the tribe of Indians who settled around Moravia, this county, and from whom that place derives its name. He died on the 6th of October, 1856.
About the year 1830, DR. JAMES A. COSSITT settled in New Castle, having come here from Mercer. After remaining here a few years he again changed his location, removing to the State of Illinois. He remained there about two years, and returned to New Castle, in which place he settled permanently and followed his profession until within a few years of his death, which occurred in 1875. Dr. Cossitt was born in Hartford, Connecticut, in the year 1795. He served in the war of 1812 as assistant surgeon, settling afterwards in Mercer. The doctor was a perfect model of a true gentleman of the "old school," polite, affable, and courteous in the extreme, but tempered with a great deal of dignity. He had a high opinion of the honor pertaining to the profession, and of the code of ethics which should govern professional brethren. A most amusing incident, often told concerning him, fully illustrates this point in his character. A physician, whom he did not regard as quite "regular" once sent for him to go several miles into the country, and assist him in a difficult case. After some hesitation he accompanied the messenger. When the operation had been performed, they started home together, both being on horseback; but when they reached the road, Dr. Cossitt turned and [p. 161] said to his companion: "Sir, the dignity of my profession will not allow me to ride abreast with you into the town; please follow a short distance behind." The other physician, not wishing to create any disturbance, accordingly fell behind, and they rode into town in that order, Dr. Cossitt ahead, and the other following like a lackey.
DR. A. ANDREWS settled in New Castle in 1834. He practiced here for some years, when he finally removed to Mahoningtown, where he shortly afterwards died. He was known as a zealous churchman, and left the greater part of his property to the Episcopal church in this city. He was followed by DR. BARLOW, who opened a drug-store in connection with his practice.
DR. WILLIAM WOODS practiced in Pulaski at an early date, and successfully through a long period of years, and enjoyed, in a marked degree, the confidence of the community in which he resided. He died in 1862.
DR. ISAAC COWDEN practiced for many years in New Wilmington; in fact, the name of Cowden may be called a medical one in this and adjoining counties, and has furnished more physicians, if we except the name of Cunningham, than any in this part of the State. He was followed by Dr. Donahue, who afterwards removed to New Brighton, Beaver county.
DR. SETH POPINO, a student of Dr. Cowden's, graduated at Cleveland, and settled in New Wilmington, where he remained practicing his profession successfully until his death, which occurred during the Winter of 1875-6. He was universally respected, apart from his medical abilities, as a man of honor, and his word was known literally to be as good as his bond. He was always to be found at his post, rarely absenting himself, even for a day, from the duties of his profession.
DR. WILLIAM SMITH removed from Beaver county to the lower part of Lawrence county in 1853, and settled near Moravia. He at one time represented the former county in the State Legislature. He soon enjoyed all the advantages and disadvantages of a large country practice, and rode extensively all over the lower part of the county. He changed his location to Enon Valley in 1872, but shortly afterwards his health began to give way, and he died in the latter place, July 5, 1873. Dr. Smith was a man uinversally liked and respected for his many good qualities and his genial, whole-souled manner.
DR. J. B REINHOLDT was born in Lawrence county, in the year 1837. He graduated at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, in the year 1862. He immediately entered the army as volunteer surgeon, and remained until the close of the rebellion. He then settled in Muscatine, Iowa; but in 1868 returned to his native county and resumed the practice of his profession. He practiced with honor, and attained success chiefly as a surgeon, but his health failing, he took a trip to Minnesota, in the hope that a complete change of climate would effect a cure, but returned in the Fall with his health still impaired, and wholly unfit to resume the practice of his profession, and, in spite of all medical treatment, continued to fail until death came to his relief.
Dr. Reinholdt was a man of more than ordinary ability, and won not only many professional, but personal friends, by his many good qualities, which always marked him as a gentleman of honor. He died March 31, 1873, at the early age of thirty-six years.
DR. A. P. DUTCHER practiced for some years in Enon Valley, this county, but afterwards removed to Cleveland.
DR. WILCOX practiced for some years in Mount Jackson. His health giving way under the arduous duties of his profession, he opened a drug store in New Castle, but shortly afterwards removed to California, where he is now practicing the healing art.
This rapid and incomplete sketch brings us to the living physicians of Lawrence county. We are confident that some names have been omitted that should have been mentioned, and many worthy physicians have been passed in silence, for we could not burden these pages with mention of those who had practiced in the county only for a short time, or of transient ones who soon removed to other spheres.
As the object of this article is not to be a medical directory, but a short medical history of the county, its continuance is a matter of much difficulty and delicacy, but the county is so new, and the lives of so many of the present physicians are so blended with the past, that the history would not be complete without the mention of some, at least, of the leading ones of the present day, and we will endeavor to give a short sketch of each, as near as possible in the order of their residence.
DR. GEMMIL is probably the oldest of the living physicians who have practiced in Lawrence county, and belongs, in fact, to the early day, being contemporary with Doctors Shaw, Cowden, Woods and Cossitt. He practiced most successfully in New Castle for a long period of years and rode from one end of the county to the other, being at the same time in the drug business. He afterwards removed to Cincinnati, but returned in a few years. After practicing in this part of the county for some time, he became interested in the oil business in Slippery Rock, and this after everbody had abandoned the business as a failure; but, with the energy which marks all his actions, he persevered in his efforts, and after a long series of years of patient labor, his efforts are, we believe, crowned with success, and the doctor has obtained oil in paying quantities—a well which we sincerely hope will repay all his toils.
DR. DANIEL LEASURE graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1846. He settled in New Castle in 1849, and practiced in the city successfully until the breaking out of the rebellion, when he organized two military companies in the vicinity. He was shortly afterwards promoted to a colonelcy, and served with distinction during the entire war, at the close of which he was breveted brigadier-general. He then practiced a few years in this city, removing, in 1870, to Allegheny City, where is now an active practitioner; his family, however, residing in his native place, to which he weekly returns.
DR. J. H. M. PEEBLES graduated at Jefferson College in 1850, and immediately afterwards settled in New Castle. He soon took a front rank among the physicians of the county, and practiced successfully until 1860, when he removed to Cleveland, Ohio, remaining there but a short time. He returned to New Castle and resumed the practice of his profession in the latter place.
Dr. Peebles has always, in a marked degree, enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the community. During the war he was appointed examining surgeon of the county, and at present is president of the Select Councils of the city.
DR. J. M. WALLACE graduate at Jefferson Medical College in 1846. He practiced a few years in Darlington, Beaver county, but settled in New Castle in 1850. He was elected to Congress in 1860, and took part in that Congress which directed the movements of the war. After serving his term, he was appointed paymaster, which position he held until 1865, when he returned to New Castle and resumed the duties of his profession. In 1874 he was re-elected to Congress.
DR. JAMES J. WALLACE graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1851, and the same year settled in New Castle, and has been in continuous practice ever since that date, with marked success, and has always been a great favorite throughout the rural districts, his practice being a very arduous one, as it extends over the whole county.
DR. R. D. WALLACE graduated in the Cleveland medical College in the year 1853, after which he joined the tide of emigration west-ward and settled in California. He returned to the East in 1856, and settled in New Castle the same year. The doctor enjoys, in a marked degree, the confidence of his professional brethren, and is known not only as a successful practitioner, but a close and conscientious student in everything pertaining to the art of medicine.
DR. M. P. BARKER graduated at the Cleveland Medical College, and subsequently attended a course of lectures at the University of Pennsylvania. He settled in New Wilmington in 1859, and practiced his profession there until 1861, when he returned to New Castle, where he has enjoyed a successful practice ever since.
Dr. MITCHLETREE has been practicing a series of years in Edenburg, and has a large and successful business in that part of the county.
DR. E. BRUGH graduated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1851, and for a short time was resident physician to the Philadelphia Hospital. He practiced for a while in Steubenville, Ohio, but located in Wilmington in 1861, where he has resided ever since in active practice of his profession.
DR. JOHN WOODS is a graduate of the Cleveland Medical College, and afterwards attended a course of lectures at the University of Pennsylvania. He first settled in Greenfield, Mercer county, but subseqently located in New Wilmington. Remaining there a short time, he returned to New Castle, and, after practicing here for some years, again settled in New Wilmington, where he is at present practicing his profession with the success that has always attended his efforts. He is known as a close student.
DR. SILAS STEVENSON has been practicing for some years in Bedford, lecturing there upon the departure of Dr. Alex. McClure. Dr. Stevenson is very popular in the western part of the county, and enjoys a very extensive practice.
DR. C. K. RILEY settled in Pulaski in 1861, at the earnest solicitation of Dr. Wm. Woods, whose health at that time was failing. He has remained there in continued practice ever since, with the exception of a few months, when he was appointed contract surgeon during the rebellion. But having to abandon the service on account of ill health, he again settled in Pulaski.
[p. 162] DR. D. CUNNINGHAM graduated at Jefferson Medical College, after an examination by the State Medical Board. He was appointed assistant surgeon, and remained in the service after the close of the war, after which he settled in Wurtemburg, and has remained in active and successful practice ever since, except in the Winter of 1870, when he attended a course of lectures at the Ohio Medical College.
DR. THOS. MEHARD was a graduate of the Cleveland Medical College, and settled in Wampum in 187-. He immediately took a prominent rank among the physicians of the county, and succeeded to an extensive practice, embracing a large territory in the lower part of the county.
DR. ZIMMERMAN located in Mount Jackson, shortly after Dr. Wilcox had removed, and has been in successful practice in that village ever since.
DR. HALL has been practicing for a series of years in Harlansburg, and has lately opened a drug-store in connection with his profession.
DR. M. P. ROBINSON is a graduate of Jefferson Medical College. He first settled in the northern part of the county, but in a short time moved to Mahoningtown, where he rapidly gained the confidence of the community, and established himself in a large practice.
DR. PETIT, has been practicing in New Wilmington for some years with a great degree of success.
DR. THOS. BLACKWOOD is a graduate of Jefferson Medical College. He settled in East New Castle in 1872, and has remained in successful practice ever since.
DR. JOHN C. MCKEE graduated at Miami Medical College in 1873. He immediately located in Princeton, which, on account of the failing health of Dr. Cowden, needed a physician. He rapidly became known as a successful practitioner, and has thoroughly established himself in a large and increasing business.
DR. JAMES K. POLLOCK graduated at Miami Medical College in 1873. He at first settled in New Castle, but shortly afterwards changed his location to Virginia. He remained there a short time, when he returned to Lawrence county, and settled in Harlansburg, where he is now successfully following his profession.
DR. MONT LINNVILLE graduated at the Jefferson Medical College in 1873, and in the Spring of the same year settled in New Castle. He had formerly practiced a few months in Princeton. He soon established a reputation, and acquired a large practice.
DR. H. P. PEEBLES graduated at Miami Medical College in 1873, and immediately settled in New Castle, practicing for some time in partnership with his father, Dr. J. H. M. Peebles.
DR. DAVID P. JACKSON graduated at Miami Medical College in 1874, and the same year settled in New Castle. Having paid especial attention to ophthamology, he rapidly attained a practice in that specialty.
DR. W. D. SMITH is a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, and settled in Eastbrook in 1876, where he is establishing himself in a large practice.
DR. RHODES settled in Chewton in 1876, and has already acquired quite an extensive practice.
DR. BRITTIAN settled in Moravia in 1876, and is meeting with success.
DR. TRUESDALE is a graduate of Cleveland Medical College, and located in Mount Jackson in 1876, where he has been practicing since with marked success.
DR. MEALLY removed from West Virginia to Wilmington, where he is successfully practicing.
DR. NYE settled in Enon Valley during 1875, and has been since practicing successfully in that part of the county.
DR. J. Q. McKEE graduated at Miami Medical College in 1876, and immediately after settled in New Castle.
The latest recruit to the medical ranks in Lawrence county is DR. ROBERT WALLACE, who graduated at Miami Medical College in 1877, and is at present practicing with his father, Dr. J. J. Wallace.
The homeopathic school in this county is represented by DR. N. WHITE and DR. W. F. HOCKING. Dr. White has been practicing in this city and county for a number of years, and is regarded very highly by those who favor the doctrine of homeopathy, and is recognized in the community as a man of merit.
Dr. Hocking has been here but a few years, but in this time has fully established himself in practice.
DR. ELIJAH DEVOE is an independent practitioner, not following the dictates of any school of specialists. He has taken regular courses of lectures in each of the three systems—allopathic, botanic and eclectic—and has also given considerable study to the homeopathic school. He commenced practice in Chautauque county, New York, and afterwards practiced for many years extensively in the city of Buffalo, and in Erie and Cattaraugus county, New York. He afterwards practiced in Meadville, Pa., for seven years. He came to New Castle in December, 1871, where he has since followed his profession with eminent success, having treated over ten thousand cases since his location here. His practice is mostly confined to the office.
MISS MARMORA DEVOE, daughter of Dr. E. Devoe, graduated at the Cleveland Medical College; and also at Ann Arbor, Mich., in the homeopathic branch of the profession. She has an office with her father, and has practiced with success for about three years.
MISS EUGENIE SHEETS is a regular graduate of the Philadelphia Female College of the class of 1876, and has established herself in New Castle for the pratice of her profession.
Lawrence county, for several reasons, has never proved a good soil for the growth and maintenance of a Medical Society, and it is but recently that one has been formed that gives any promise of future life and activity.
In 1854 the Medical Society of Western Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio (in which Lawrence county took part) was organized. It maintained a precarious existence for a few years, and then was abandoned.
In 1857 the first county organization took place. It flourished for one or two years, and then died of general apathy.
About 1864 a meeting was held of all the physicians of the county, of which Dr. J. H. M. Peebles was chairman. It consisted of regular and irregular allopaths and homeopaths, and was called, not to form a County Society, but to regulate professional fees and to establish a standard of medical charges.
About 1869 another attempt was made to form a regular County Society. Dr. J. H. M. Peebles was elected president; Dr. M. P. Barker, secretary, and Dr. J. B. Reinholdt, treasurer. But, like its predecessors, in a short time it died of general inanition.
In 1876 another attempt was made, and the efforts of the regular physicians seemed at last to be crowned with success. In the first of its existence, Dr. R. D. Wallace was chosen president; Dr. E. Brugh, vice president; Dr. M. P. Barker, secretary; Dr. H. P. Peebles, treasurer; Dr. Woods, Dr. Blackwood and Dr. Pollock, censors.
The officers for the year 1877 are: president, Dr. E. Brugh; vice president, Dr. W. D. Smith; secretary, Dr. H. P. Peebles, and treasurer,. Dr. R. D. Wallace.
The society is at present in a flourishing condition, and its meetings have accomplished much good, both in promoting a friendly feeling among its members and in disseminating needful medical knowledge.
History of Lawrence County Pennsylvania, 1770 - 1877, by S.W. and P.A. Durant.
GEORGE P. SHAW was the first lawyer in New Castle. He was connected with the publication of a newspaper along with David Crawford. This was in 1826 or 1827.
N. TYLER was in New Castle about 1831 or 1832, and removed to Meadville prior to 1833, where he died. Samuel Sample, son of the Rev. Robert Sample, afterwards married his widow.
HENRY E. WALLACE came to New Castle from Philadelphia in 1835, He remained in New Castle about one year, when he returned to Philadelphia, where he has been practicing his profession ever since. He has for many years been connected with the publication of the Legal Intelligencer.
JAMES ALEXANDER settled in New Castle in 1837 or 1838. He lived in what was known as the "Old Pokeberry," and had an office in the residence of the Rev. Robert Sample at the corner of Washington and Mill streets.
SAMUEL SAMPLE was born in Beaver county; studied law, and was admitted to the bar in Mercer in 1840. He was a son of Rev. Robert Sample. After practicing law for two or three years he removed to Meadville, Crawford county.
L. L. McGUFFIN was born in Wilmington, Del., came to New Castle in 1833, was admitted to the bar in Mercer in 1843. In 1864 he was appointed President Judge in place of Agnew, elected to the Supreme Bench, and afterwards elected to the same office, which position he held till the 1st of January, 1875.
JOHN KNIGHT was born in Beaver county, on the Slippery Rock, at what was known as "Knight's Mills." He studied law in Beaver county, and came to New Castle in 1843, remained but a short time, and removed to Wabash, Indiana.
[p. 163] COLUMBUS LANCASTER came to New Castle from Michigan in 1843. He immediately took an active part as a citizen in all that pertained to the interests of the place. He acquired some distinction as a lawyer in prosecutions for violations of the license laws. In 1845 he was appointed by the President one of the Judges of the Territory of Oregon, which office he held during the administration of James K. Polk. He was afterwards elected to Congress as a delegate from Washington Territory. Mr. Lancaster was a man of very superior acquirements and great energy. He, his wife and child, crossed the plains to Oregon in a wagon fitted up with a bed, stove, and other conveniences. He is yet in Washington Territory.
N. M. BARUS came to New Castle from Butler county, and opened an office over Cochran's store, at the corner of Washington and Mill streets. He remained in New Castle two or three years, and removed to Kansas.
JONATHAN AYRES came to New Castle from Butler, in the year ___. In 1850 he associated himself with Lewis Taylor, of Beaver, making the firm of Ayres & Taylor. He acquired a good practice, and was esteemed a good lawyer. He died in New Castle in the year ___.
ALEXANDER ROGERS was born in Mercer county, Pa. He had an office in New Castle for a short time. He afterwards removed to Bedford, this county, where he practiced law a few years, and then removed West.
JOHN M. CRAWFORD was born in Norristown, Pa., studied law with J. Fornanse, and was admitted to the bar about 1845 or 1846; came to New Castle soon after, and opened an office at the corner of Old Canal and Jefferson streets; retired soon after from the practice, and entered the iron business.
D. C. COSSITT was born in Mercer, Pa. He spent several years at Yale college, where he studied law. He was admitted to practice in Mercer county in 1847. He removed to New Castle, and entered into partnership with R. D. Hartshorn, and continued here for some years, then removed to Pittsburgh, Pa.
R. D. HARTSHORN was born in Beaver county, studied law in New Lisbon, Ohio, and came to New Castle in 1848. He and D. C. Cossitt formed a partnership. He afterwards removed to Pittsburgh.
J. NAFF McGUFFIN was born in Newville, Cumberland county, Pa., and removed to New Castle with his parents in 1833. He was admitted to practice in the year 1847, and immediately associated himself with his brother, L. L. McGuffin, constituting the well-known firm of L. L. & J. N. McGuffin. He took a very active part in all matters pertaining to the interests of the county. He was an active, earnest Democrat, and an able stump-speaker. In 1858 he was the Democratic candidate for Congress, and was beaten by William Stewart, of Mercer. He died on the 3d day of February, 1859.
G. N. SCROGGS was born in Beaver county. His father at one time represented that county in the State Senate. He came to New Castle in 1846, having previously been admitted to practice in Beaver. Before the organization of Lawrence county he removed to Buffalo, where he has continued to reside and to practice his prifession. He is a man of fine acquirements, and a good lawver.
J. K. BOYD opened an office in New Castle some time between the years 1844 and 1846. He was here until 1849.
JAMES W. JOHNSTON removed to New Castle from Indiana county in 1849, and in 1853 formed a copartnership with S. W. Dana; was appointed Paymaster in the army in 1863. He afterwards settled in Tennessee.
WILLIAM P. BUCHANAN moved to New Castle from Beaver county; was appointed by Governor Johnston first district attorney of Lawrence county, which he held until the election the next year (1850). He and David Craig, Esq., were in partnership for a short time. He afterwards removed West.
JOHN D. HOFFMAN came to New Castle from Centre county, where he had previously been admitted to practice law. In 1853 he was elected register and recorder of Lawrence county. At the expiration of his term he retired from practice, and opened a book-store on Washington street.
DAVID CRAIG was born in Washington county, where he studied law in the office of the Hon. T. J. McKennon. His father had filled many public offices, and was in the convention to revise the State Constitution in 1838. David Craig came to New Castle in 1849. He was elected district attorney, and twice to the Legislature. In 1873 he was chosen a delegate to the Constitutional Convention, and died before the convention had completed its labors. But few men in Western Pennsylvania sustained a higher character for ability and integrity than Mr. Craig.
GEORGE W. WATSON came to New Castle from Centre county in 1849. He had been admitted to the bar in Bellefont. He remained in New Castle for a few years, and removed to Illinois.
LEWIS TAYLOR was admitted to the bar in Beaver county. He was appointed District Attorney of that county by Governor Shunk. In 1849 he removed to New Castle, and entered into copartnership with Jonathan Ayres, making the firm of Taylor & Ayres. He retired from the practice some years since. Mr. Taylor stood second to no lawyer in Western Pennsylvania. He was not only a sound lawyer, but an able and eloquent advocate.
DAVID B. KURTZ was born in Chester county, Pa. He studied law with Joseph Casey, and was admitted to the bar at Union county, Pa., February, 1849. He came to New Castle the same year, and commenced the practice of law with the organization of Lawrence county. Mr. Kurtz and Judge McGuffin are the only members now practicing in Lawrence county who were at the bar when the county was organized (D. C. Cossitt having long since retired). It is worthy of notice that during the long career of Mr. Kurtz at the Lawrence county bar he has never been absent from court a single term. His untiring devotion to his profession and his ability as an advocate have put him in the front rank of lawyers in Pennsylvania.
SAMUEL HOLSTEIN was admitted to the bar of Lawrence county at its organization. He had for many years been a member of the Mercer bar, and was esteemed one of its ablest advocates. He died in New Castle some years since.
D. S. MORRIS was born in Meadville, Pa.; graduated at Allegheny College in 1846. He studied law with the Hon. H. L. Richmond, and was admitted to the bar in Meadville in 1850. He soon after removed to New Castle, where he opened an office and succeeded to good practice. His ability and long standing at the bar have made him eminent as one of its ablest lawyers.
JAMES POLLOCK came to New Castle in 1850; was elected assistant district attorney in 1852, which office he held for three years. After the expiration of his term he removed West.
ROBERT GILLELAND was born in Allegheny county, Pa. He was admitted to the bar in Lawrence county in 1853, having studied with D. B. Kurtz. In 1862 he was elected district attorney.
R. B. McCOMB was born in Mercer county, studied law with D. B. Kurtz, and was admitted to the bar in March, 1853. (See biography.)
SAMUEL W. DANA was born in Massachusetts. He was admitted to the bar in Warren county, Pa., in June, 1853, and soon after removed to New Castle, where he became a partner with J. W. Johnston, Esq., under the title of Johnston & Dana. In 1863 the firm of Johnston & Dana was dissolved, Mr. Dana continuing the practice alone until September, 1875, when he associated with him Scott D. Long, making the firm of Dana & Long. Mr. Dana's close attention to his profession, together with an accurate knowledge of the practice, have made him eminent among the best members of the bar.
HON. MILO McGLATHERY was born in Lawrence county, in 1834. He studied law with the Hon. L. L. McGuffin; afterwards graduated at the Union Law School of Ohio; removed to West Union county, Iowa in 1856; was elected district attorney of that county in 1858, and filled that office with much ability for eight years. He was elected judge of the tenth judicial district, in which capacity he served with great acceptance for eight years more, and held that position at the time of his death.
BENJAMIN NICKLIN studied law with D. B. Kurtz, Esq.; was admitted to the bar in 1856; served in the late war, after which he settled in Chattanooga, Tenn., where he continued the practice of law until his death in 1875.
THOMAS B. MORGAN was born in Pittsburgh, studied law with D. B. Kurtz, Esq., and was admitted to the bar in 1856. He enlisted in Knapp's Battery in 1861, and continued in the army until the close of the war, after which he opened an office on Washington street. He was elected the first mayor of New Castle. At the expiration of his term he retired from the practice of law.
D. W. HOUSTON studied law with D. B. Kurtz, Esq., and was admitted to practice in 1857. He practiced one year in the office of R. B. McComb. He afterwards removed to Kansas. During the war he commanded a regiment of cavalry. He also held the office of United States marshal for one of the districts of that State.
JOHN S. KING was born in Cambria county; studied law in Gettysburg, Adams county; removed to Lawrence county in 1859, and associated himself with R. B. McComb. In 1861 he received an appointment as captain in the regular army.
DAVID WAUGH studied law with D. B. Kurtz, and was admitted to the bar in 1857.
[p.164] JOHN P. BLAIR came to New Castle in 1857, from Indiana county. 1860 he was elected district attorney, which office he held until the organization of the 100th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, when he enlisted and was made lieutenant of one of the companies. At the close of the war he returned to Indiana county. He was afterwards elected judge of that district, which office he now holds.
B. B. PICKETT came to New Castle shortly after the organization of the county. He was elected district attorney in 1857. After the expiration of his term of office he removed to Meadville, Crawford county.
CRAWFORD STEWART was born in New Castle. He studied law with D. B. Kurtz, Esq., and was admitted to practice in 1859 or 1860. He enlisted in a Michigan regiment at the beginning of the war, and was killed at the first battle of Bull Run.
JOHN McMICHAEL was born in Crawford county, Pa. Graduated at Westminster College, New Wilmington, in July, 1857. Read law with Hon. H. L. Richmond, Esq., of Meadville, Pa., and was admitted to the bar in 1861. He soon after came to New Castle, and practiced law in the office of Hon. L. L. McGuffin. In 1863 he opened an office by himself, and continued the same until October, 1876, when he associated with him Malcolm McConnell. In 1874 Mr. McMichael was nominated as a candidate for law judge in the district composed of Butler and Lawrence counties, and was beaten by the Hon. E. McJunkin, of Butler. Mr. McMichael's ability as a lawyer, and industry, energy and honesty have established his position amongst the leaders of the Lawrence county bar.
J. SMITH Du SHANE read law with L. L. McGuffin. During the late civil war he served in the lOOth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (Roundheads). He was admitted to the bar in September, 1864. Was elected district attorney in 1865, and served until 1868.
J. ALVAN EUWER was born September l2, 1836, at New Castle, Pa. Graduated at Jefferson College with the class of 1859. Studied law at New Castle with Robert Gilleland, and at Pittsburgh with Hon. Thomas Williams, and was admitted to practice September term, 1865, at New Castle, Pa.
E. T. KURTZ, the junior member of the firm of D. B. & E. T. Kurtz, was born in Juniata county, Pa. He came to New Castle in March, 1865; was admitted to the bar in May, 1865. In April, 1867, the well-known firm of D. B. & E. T. Kurtz was established.
JAMES G. ELLIOT, born in Worth township, Butler county, Pa. Graduated at Jefferson College, Pa., read law with J. McMichael, Esq., in New Castle, and was admitted to the bar in 1865. Commenced to practice in Petroleum Centre, Venango county, Pa., in 1866. Came to New Castle in 1868, and entered into partnership with Daniel Craig, Esq.; continued with him about two years. He then removed to Sharon, Mercer county, Pa., and opened an office, where he still continues.
JAMES M. MARTIN was born in Lawrence county in 1843. He graduated at the Ohio State and Union Law School in 1867, and was admitted to practice in the several courts of Lawrence county the same year. Since then he has continued his profession in Lawrence county, and has acquired a good practice.
GEORGE E. TREADWELL was born in Maryland in 1842. He graduated at Yale College in 1865, and studied law at the Yale Law School in 1867. He came to New Castle in 1869, where he has continued the practice of law. He has established a reputation as a successful and reliable lawyer.
THOMAS HENRY was born in Beaver county. He graduated at the Beaver Academy, and studied law with Judge Agnew. He was admitted to the bar in Beaver county in 1867. He removed to New Castle the same year. Major Henry enlisted in the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves as a private, and served for two years. In 1862 he was captain in the 140th regiment, and in 1864 he was promoted to the rank of major.
DAVID M. KESSINGER was born in Cumberland county, Pa.; graduated at the Columbia Law School in Washington, D. C., in the class of 1868, and was admitted to the bar there in the same year. He came to New Castle in 1869.
SCOTT D. LONG was born in New Castle in 1847. He studied law with D. B. Kurtz, Esq., and was admitted to the bar in May, 1869. Soon after he was associated with S. W. Dana, constituting the firm of Dana & Long.
MOSES B. WELSH removed to New Castle from Beaver in 1870. He was afterwards elected mayor of New Castle. After serving his term, he retired to his farm in Pulaski township.
G. D. KUESTER was born in Mercer, Pa., 1838. In 1856 he edited the Lawrence Journal, New Castle, Pa.; studied law with Hon. David Craig; was admitted to practice in 1870; removed soon after to Chicago, Ill., and entered upon the practice of the law. In 1872 he returned to New Castle and published the Lawrence Journal until 1873. After which he practiced his profession.
SAMUEL FOLTZ was born in Butler county, Pa.; studied law with Charles Sullivan, Esq., of Butler, Pa.; was admitted to the bar in said county in 1852; commenced the practice in New Castle in 1872, with George Treadwell as partner, under the firm name of Treadwell & Foltz.
J. K. WALLACE was born in Lawrence county, Pa.; read law with R. B. McComb of New Castle, Pa., and was admitted to the bar of that county in 1872.
B. A. WINTERNITZ was born in New Castle, Lawrence county, Pa.; graduated at Westminster and Iron City Colleges; studied law with Colonel O. L. Jackson, and was admitted to the bar in May, 1872.
JOHN G. M'CONAHY was born in Lawrence, Pa.; studied law in the office of John McMichael, Esq., and was admitted to the bar in September, 1872. He received a liberal education at the State Normal School, Edenboro, Erie county.
B. W. ALLSWORTH was born in Lawrence county in 1851. He received a collegiate education at Westminster College, New Wilmington; studied law in the office of R. B. McComb, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1874.
MALCOLM McCONNELL was born in Wilmington township, Mercer county, Pa., December 13th, 1850; studied law with R. B. McComb, Esq., New Castle; Pa.; admitted to the bar December 14, 1874; commenced the practice of law as the partner of his preceptor, R. B. McComb; opened a law office by himself, 1876. On October 24, 1876, he associated himself with John McMichael as the firm of McMichael & McConnell.
ROBERT MACKWOOK was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1838; graduated at the Rochester University; studied law with J. H. Osmer, Esq., of Franklin, Venango county, Pa., and was admitted to the bar of Venango county in 1868; came to New Castle in August, 1875, where he practiced his profession in partnership with J. T. Butler until September, 1876, from thence entered into partnership with B. W. Allsworth, Esq.
J. T. BUTLER came to New Castle in 1875 and practiced with Robert Mackwook as Mackwook & Butler.
WILLIAM M. BROWN was born in Greenville, Mercer county, Pa.; moved with parents to Jackson county, Iowa, in 1856; from thence to Webster county, Iowa, in 1864; came to Warren, Ohio, in September, 1870, and thence to New Castle in December of same year; commenced to read law with John McMichael in 1873; was admitted to the bar of Lawrence county in 1875; was commissioned notary public for the county of Lawrence, April 21, 1874.
S. WOODWARD CUNNINGHAM was born in New Castle, Lawrence county; studied law with D. B. Kurtz, Esq.; was admitted to the bar September, 1875, afterwards removing to Pittsburgh, where he still continues to practice.
J. SCOTT IRVIN was born in Lawrence county in 1851; graduated at Westminster College 1873, with the degree of A. B.; entered the western Theological Seminary in the Fall of 1873, but abandoned the study of theology, and entered the law office of Dana & Long the same year; was admitted to the bar of Lawrence county, February, 1876.
J. L. MONTGOMERY was born in New Castle, Lawrence county, Pa.; read law with D. B. & E. T. Kurtz, Esq.; was admitted to the bar in February, 1876.
JAMES N. GARDNER was born in Butler county, Pa. Entered the United States army, during the late rebellion, as a private in Battery "B," 1st Light Artillery, Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps (Captain J. H. Cooper), served throughout the entire war in said battery, and was promoted during service to first lieutenant. Studied law with John McMichael and J. M. Martin, Esq., of New Castle, and was admitted, December 16, 1876, to practice at this bar.
JOHN J. SAMPSON was born in Wilmington township, Lawrence county, in 1844. He studied law with O. L. Jackson, and was admitted to the bar in 1877. He was appointed United States commissioner for the Western District of Pennsylvania in 1876.
A. L. HAZEN has been practicing law in Lawrence county for some years. He has been twice elected district attorney, and twice city solicitor.
ROBERT I. BRECKENRIDGE was admitted to the bar in Lawrence county, but soon after retired from the practice and settled upon a farm.
From the 1770 - 1877 History of Lawrence County by S. W. and P. A. DURANT.
Explanation and Caution | Abbreviations | Lawrence Co. Maps | 1877 Portraits
Previous Section | Next Section
Table of Contents
Updated: 27 Feb 2001, 09:07