IN CAMBRIA COUNTY
Long before a white man set foot in Cambria County, Patton had been the site of an Indian town. The clear field extended from the present bridge, across Chest Creek, to beyond the silk mill with a cemetery above the bridge on the opposite side of the Creek on property now owned by John Bigos. The early settlers tell of seeing the cornstubbles and large heaps of clams on both shores of the creek. John McGuire built a grist mill for the Honorable John Buck in East Carroll Township in 1848 and in the following year 1849 he built another mill here on the Chest creek for himself. This place was then called McGuire's Mill until sold to Ferdinand Marks when it became Marks town. Marks built an overflow to his dam and when Squire Mellon saw it he objected to its location, claiming that a heavy rain would wash away the Indian cemetery, which soon after happened during the night washing a 16-20 feet hole in the opposite shore and removed all the Indian graves and grave stones. The inhabitants of Marks town were Ferdinand Marks, Henry Mellon, Simon Bortman, Augustine Burkey and Enoch Short.
In order to have better facilities for taking the coal from Hastings to the main line George B. Roberts, President of the P. R. R., built the main stem of the Cambria and Clearfield division from Garway through Marks town to Kaylor station, now Ebensburg Junction, including the Susquehanna extension from Bradley Junction to Spangler (and later to Cherry Tree in 1893) and put it into service on August 1, 1892.
The Chest Creek Land and Improvement Co. of Curwensville, Clearfield County surveyed and laid out the town of Patton, which increased so rapidly that Patton, taken from Carroll, Chest, Clearfield and Elder Townships, by a decree of the Court, dated September 4, 1893, was incorporated into a borough and named after Governor John Patton of Curwensville.
The Rt. Rev. Archabbot Andrew Hintenach, O. S. B., on a visit to Carrolltown, was informed of the necessity of building churches at Patton and Spangler. The Rt. Rev. Archabbot placed the facts before the Rt. Rev. Richard
Phelan, D. D., Bishop of Pittsburgh, who approving the building of the churches placed them in charge of the Benedictine Fathers. The Rt. Rev. Archabbot requested Father Edwin O. S. B., to acquire a site for the church and to begin building. Lots 1, 2, 3, in block 28, were bought on September 21, 1892, from the Chest Creek Land and Improvement Co., and another parcel of land on September 29, 1892, from John Karlheim and wife. A meeting of all those interested in the erection of a church was called, the present site chosen, a building committee appointed to work under the direction of Father Edwin and finally the contract for a frame building 35x55 feet, seating capacity 350 persons, was let to D. A. Luther, a contractor of Carrolltown. The congregation took in all Catholic families living within two or three miles from town.
The Rev. Macarius Schmitt, O. S. B., the first pastor, arriving at Carrolltown in September, 1893, celebrated the first High Mass in the church, furnished with an altar and benches for pews, on October 7, 1893, and on the next day a Requiem High Mass. The choir of St. Boniface rendering the music and singing on both days. The church was dedicated by the Very Rev. Vincent Huber, O. S. B., Prior of St. Vincent Archabbey, on Sunday, November 5, 1893, in honor of the Blessed Virgin of Perpetual Help. Mass was now celebrated every other Sunday until September, 1897, when Father Isidore Fuesel, O. S. B., rented rooms from Mr. John Yahner. May 29, 1894, four acres of land were purchased from L. B. and George Cassidy for a cemetery.
The membership of the church growing so rapidly required a larger church, so ground was broken for a new edifice. The ceremony of laying the Corner Stone was held by the Very Rev. Michael Hoffmayr, O. S. B., Prior at Carrolltown, on March 22, 1898, assisted by the Rev. Francis X. McCarthy of St. Augustine, the Benedictine Fathers Alto Herr and Maximillian Herr, of St. Boniface, Innocent Andelfinger of Hastings, who preached the sermon, and Eusebius Geiger, the pastor. The Rev. Edwin Pierron, O. S. B., took charge of the congregation in August and in April, 1899 finished the church, made of stone and brick, 56x120 feet, seating about 800, in style of architecture Romanesque. The rectory was now built and in September of the same year completed by William Herbert, the contractor of the church.
Rt. Rev. Bishop Phelan, D. D., dedicated the church on Sunday, 23rd of April. Quite a number of priests of the region attended, and the dedicatory sermon was preached by the Rev. Edward Andelfinger, O. S. B., of St. Vincent College. The sanctuary having been built in 1905 the church was then decorated.
In July 1912, two parcels of land, 100x140, were purchased from William H. Sanford and H. C. Yeager for $4,000.00 On one of them a neat 12-roomed frame residence had been erected some years before which was to serve as a convent for the Sisters; on the other a two-story stone and brick parochial school was erected in 1912, finished in August, 1913, and opened on September 8, with an attendance of 210 children in charge of six Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Scranton, Pa.
This arrangement, as far as architectural style demands, brings the church, rectory, school and convent in practical and convenient alignment with a frontage of 300 feet on 5th Avenue, - thus making it for a small rural town of 3,000 population, one of the neatest church properties in the diocese of Altoona.
The Rev. Edwin Pierron, O. S. B., born in Selonge, Belgium, December 25, 1846, came to this country at an early age with his parents, who shortly after their arrival, moved to St. Nicholas, Wisconsin. Father Edwin met a Benedictine Father of St. Benedict College, Atchison, Kansas, who perceiving the budding vocation induced him to become a Benedictine. He entered the Benedictine Order at St. Vincent in 1869, and made his Simple Profession December 28, 1870, three years later pronounced his Solemn Vows, and on December 14, 1874, was ordained to the Holy Priesthood.
During his clericate years and the first few years of his sacerdotal life he was professor of English and Latin at St. Vincent College. He also took quite an interest in Botany and taught it at the College in the late seventies. In 1876 Father Edwin received the first prize for the largest and best arranged Botanical collection at the Centennial Exposition held at Philadelphia. This collection is now in the College Museum at St. Vincent.
Father Edwin was one of the pioneer Fathers of the Benedictine Monastry at Belmont, N. C., where in 1878 he became the Director of the Belmont College connected with
the Monastery. In 1881 he was appointed assistant pastor at Carrolltown, and in February, 1890, was appointed pastor of St. Bernard's church, Hastings. In September, 1897, he was appointed curate at St. Boniface church, N. S., Pittsburgh, and in July, 1898, was made Pastor of St. Benedict's church, Baltimore, Md. Going to Baltimore he landed in the St. Agnes Hospital and on the following week removing to Cambria County took charge of the congregation at Patton. On July 11, 1922, he resigned his office as pastor here on account of infirmities due to old age but remained here living in a home built for him by Patton friends near the church, and was able to celebrate daily Mass until two days before his death, January 30, 1930. He died as the oldest in rank in the profession of his vows of the priests of St. Vincent Archabbey.
Father Edwin was an humble priest. He was offered the privilege of celebrating his first Mass on the Sunday following his ordination in the Archabbey church, but he celebrated a private Mass the day following his ordination. On the occasion of his Silver Jubilee and again on his Golden Jubilee of the priesthood friends requested him to celebrate the occasions, but he only said a private Mass of thanksgiving to God for blessings received.
Perhaps no priest in Northern Cambria County was better known than was Father Edwin. He was the beloved pastor of St. Mary's congregation from the time of its inception, and his acquaintanceship in Patton covered practically everybody, regardless of creed. Relatives of Father Edwin reside in St. Nicholas, Wisconsin. He had two sacerdotal nephews who preceded him to their eternal reward with five other sacerdotal nephews residing in the archdiocese of Milwaukee.
Father Edwin, having resigned his pastorate in June, 1922, on account of infirmities due to advanced age, the Rev. Henry Schwener, O. S. B., continued the work for Father Edwin. Father Henry has placed a hard wood floor in the then uneven floor of the sanctuary, a similar floor in the rectory to replace the worn soft wood floor and had the walls of the church cleaned so that it now appears to have been recently decorated.
George Prindible is Knighted by Bishop McCort.
Patton, July 15, 1929. - St. Mary's church was crowded this afternoon by members of the congregation, priests of the Altoona diocese and numerous business associates of George E. Prindible; the occasion being the investure of this prominent Patton manufacturer as a knight of the Order of St. Gregory, one of the highest honors that can be bestowed upon a Catholic layman. The knighting of Mr. Prindible was at the instance of Pops Pius XI, whose edict elevating the Patton man to knighthood was read by the Rev. Father Henry O. S. B., pastor of St. Mary's church.
The papal orders, in Latin, were read by Father Henry and the translation was also given, following which Mr. Prindible entered the sanctuary and was declared a Sir Knight of the Order of St. Gregory the Great by the Rt. Rev. John J. McCort, D. D., Bishop of Altoona diocese. In honoring Mr. Prindible in accordance with the papal edict, Bishop McCort spoke in glowing words of the work of Catholic laymen of the type of George E. Prindible - and Dr. John B. McAneny of Johnstown, also present, who likewise had been selected for knighthood in the Order of St. Gregory.
The Bishop stated that while there are other Catholic men in the diocese deserving of Knighthood, Sir Knight Prindible and Dr. McAaneny were chosen as representatives of deserving men and for the manner in which they have for many years championed worthwhile ideals, together with their expression of Christian charity.
Bishop McCort gave Benediction with the Blessed Sacrament assisted by the Rev. Father J. E. O'Connor, pastor of St. Edward's church, Barnesboro, and the Rev. Father Alphonse, of the Holy Cross church, Spangler. Members of the Fourth degree assembly, Knights of Columbus, were present in full regalia. Sr. Knight Prindible is a member of Barnesboro Council Knights of Columbus.
Among the priests present were the Rt. Rev. Msgr. John N. Codori, LL. D., V. G., Johnstown; the Rev. Msgr. H. M. O'Neil, V. F., of Ebensburg; the Rev. James Graven and Innocent Strittmatter, Cresson; Victor Francovsky, and P. Trtztrzynski, Barnesboro; Pollard Farren, St. Augustine; James Padden, Chest Springs; George Quinn, Spangler; William Griffin, John Sullivan, the Rev. Dr. J. P. M. Doyle, T. O. R., Raphael Breheny, T. O. R., Loretto; Francis Smyth, Charles Smyth, T. O. R., Barnesboro; the Very Rev.
Thomas Wolf, O. S. B., Raphael, O. S. B., Carrolltown; Modestus Wirtner, O. S. B., St. Boniface; Marinus Ferg, O. S. B., Nicktown; Stephen Wieland, O. S. B., Hastings; Adrian O. S. B., Patton; Damien Whelan, O. S. B., St. Lawrence.
Among the laymen present were Dr. and Mrs. John Sagerson, Mrs. Mary S. Dillon, Philip E. Caulfield, Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Cavenaugh and Attorney C. C. Greer, Johnstown; I. E. Lewis and John Wolf, Ebensburg.
Although some families have left Patton during the administration of Father Henry the Catholic societies have a large membership. The Rosary society heads the list with 312 members; the Holy Name with 121; the Propagation of the Faith with 112 members. The Irish Catholic Benevolent Union, organized in 1907 with 30 members has now over 124 members.
The Catholic Knights of St. George was organized May 18, 1908, with 25 members and now has 146 members.
The Ancient Order of Hibernians.
S. George's Church, Patton, Pa.
The Slovaks of St. Mary's church from here and Thomas' Mill requested Father Edwin to sell them the old frame church to be used as a church for the Slovaks. Father Edwin replied the Bishop consenting that another church be established in Patton, he would donate them the old St. Mary's church building provided that they would remove it to the next lot, (on which later the house was built in which Father Edwin died), and that the priest could then live in St. Mary's rectory.
This state of affairs having been presented to the Rt. Rev. Eugene A. Garvey, Bishop of Altoona, who requested the Rt. Rev. Andrew Hintenach, O. S. B., Archabbot of St. Vincent Archabbey, to take charge of the Slovak congregation, the Rev. Francis Xavier Traxler, O. S. B., of Spangler, was placed in charge of the new congregation. The Slovak families desiring to be away from St. Mary's church so as to live near their church, bought the present site on Second Avenue, then swampy ground for $400.00, built a stone wall foundation, tore down the old church and rebuilt it on its present site with a seating capacity of 250 persons. The Rev. Father Rupert having installed a new altar in St. Nicholas church, Nicktown, donated the old marble altar to the church. When completed the church cost $3,561.17.
The Patton Courier, September 6, 1907 states: "A feature of Labor Day, Monday, September 2, was the dedication of the new Slavish Roman Catholic church. The different Hungarian and Polish societies marched from St. Mary's church to the sacred edifice headed by the Patton Silver Cornet Band and made an imposing appearance. The exercises were not conducted in English but were attentively listened to by a large congregation." The Rev. Edwin Pieron, O. S. B., dedicated the church in honor of St. George Martyr, assisted by the pastor Father Francis Xavier Traxler, O. S. B., and the Rev. Wenceslaus Sholar, O. S. B., who celebrated the High Mass and preached the dedicatory sermon, and the Rev. Marcellus Rettger, O. S. B., of Carrolltown.
Father Mercellus held services for the next three weeks.
Father Francis Xavier, coming from Spangler, held services once a month preaching his sermons in the langu-
age of the people, while the Rev. Ambrose Kohlbeck, O. S. B., coming from St. Vincent Archabbey held the services on the other Sundays until February, 1908, when the Rev. Clarence Kaiser, O. S. B., relieved him. However, the Rev. Albert Huber, O. S. B., and Sylvester Schwab, O. S. B., were each here visiting on two Sundays.
September, 1909, the Rev. Augustine Minkel, O. S. B., replaced Father Francis Xavier, coming once a month until August, 1910. The Rev. Modestus Wirtner, 0. S. B., relieved Father Clarence in November, 1909, and was succeeded by the Rev. Herman Schorer, O. S. B., in January, 1910.
The Rev. Method Shestik, O. S. B., September, 1910, was the first resident pastor. He bought an ostensorium and held also Sunday afternoon services every Sunday, placed two side altars in the church with the Pieta statue, improved the grounds to get rid of at least part of the swamp for a suitable place to erect a rectory which he began to build the following year and on May 3, 1912, took formal possessin of the same. During the same year in September he opened the St. George Parochial School in the hall beneath the church. A depression in the coal market made itself felt here and in the following year on the advice of Bishop Garvey the school was discontinued. The teacher received $108.75 for his term of teaching and the pastor $249.00 as his salary for the year.
The present rector, the Rev. Adrian Krakowski, O. S. B., took charge in September, 1917. In removing the last vestiges of the swamp the rectory is now surrounded by a beautiful lawn, lovely beds of flowers and a fertile garden. Father Adrian has paid the debt on the church, painted and placed a new roof on the church, bought an organ, frescoed and decorated the church, placed stained glass in the windows, placed new altars in the church, added a new room to the rectory, sold the picnic grounds and placed a heating plant in the church and rectory. The congregation is not large, yet able to meet all expenses. The Apostilship of Prayer has 96 members, the Holy Name Society 68, the Rosary Society 45, the Children of Mary 40, the Altar Society 24, the Young Ladies Sodality 23, the Ladies Aid 30, the Propagation of the Faith 32. The Catholic Knights of St. George are affiliated with the society at St. Mary's church.
The Indian Pottery Works.
The Indian vilage has been noticed at Patton. To those Indians must be referred the pottery works discovered about a fourth of a mile from here on Peter Strittmatter's farm on the road to Carrolltown. Aloysius T. Strittmatter states that when a boy of ten years his father while plowing the field along the road turned up (about four rods from the road and the same distance from the Carrolltown end of the woods) many pieces of nicely decorated Indian pottery. The spot was about 5 by 10 feet where the pottery was found. Aloysius and his brother Paul amused themselves smashing the pieces of pottery. Mr. Strittmatter is able to locate the spot where the pottery was seen but the place suffered a wash and it is about five feet of a dig to the bottom.
HOLY CROSS CHURCH
After starting a number of extensive coal mines in the vicinity of Hastings, the Blubaker Coal Company extended their operations to another field along the Susquehanna river, three miles due west from Hastings. Here they laid out another town, taken from Barr Township and made a borough by a decree of the Court dated November 13, 1893, and named in honor of Colonel J. L. Spangler. The surrounding population, being likewise Catholic, a demand for a church might reasonably be expected ere long. The facts having been placed before the Bishop, Archabbot Andrew Hintenach, O. S. B., requested the Rev. Edwin Pierron, O. S. B., to select a site for a church. Accordingly in April, 1892, he called a meeting of all citizens interested in the prospective church, at which several sites were proposed and their merits freely discussed. The location on which the old church (now called St. Patrick's church) was finally selected, a building commitee appointed, funds raised, a frame structure 35x55 feet built by William Lantzy and furnished late in 1893 at a cost of about $2,500.00. The Rev. Norbert Gerstl, O. S. B., appointed its first pastor, resided for a while at Carrolltown and then roomed with Michael Kirsch of Spangler, until the ladies of the congregation had placed furniture in the room in the basement of the church.
Later, some twenty families of Slovaks being members of the congregation, the Rev. Francis Xavier Traxler, O. S. B., was placed in charge in March, 1895. Three years later the church was too small. All the land between Spangler and Barnesboro was laid out in lots and streets ran from Barnesboro past the lot upon which now the new church was built. The new site was to be centrally located between Spangler and Barnesboro where fifteen Catholic families lived. The cemetery (so far all interments had been made in Carrolltown) was donated by John G. C. Bearer, and the new church lots were bought from the Spangler Improvement Co., 14th of October, 1899.
In the spring of 1889, ground was broken for the new church. On Sunday, June 11, 1899, at 4 P. M., after Vespers
the societies left the church and proceeded to the new site, where the Very Rev. Michael Hoffmann, O. S. B., Prior at Carrolltown, blessed the Corner Stone and preached the sermon; present were the Benedictine Fathers Alto Herr, Rupert Tragesser, Innocent Andelfinger, Leonard Schlim, Othmar Knoll and the pastor. Architect William East drew the plans and John S. Dumm built the church for $1,000.00.
The Rt. Rev. Leander Schnerr, O. S. B., Archabbot of St. Vincent Archabbey, Latrobe, Pa., dedicated the church in honor of the Holy Cross on Sunday, December 17, 1899. A solemn High Mass was then celebrated by the Rev. Leonard Schlim, assisted by the Rev. Edward Andelfinger, O. S. B., who preached an elegant dedicatory sermon, and Aurelius Stehle, O. S. B., (later Archabbot) as deacon and subdeacon with Father Francis Xavier the master of the ceremonies. At four P. M., after Vespers the Rt. Rev. Arch-abbot blessed the bells. A couple of years later Andrew Carnegie presented the church with a large organ which means the congregation had to pay one half of the costs.
The expectations of Father Francis Xavier that the people would build upon the higher grounds near the church were not realized because the Electric Trolley Line began running on January 26, 1906, (abandoned August 1, 1926) over the old Plank or River road and the new comers built along that road.
The Holy Cross parochial school building was erected in 1921-22 by the Rev. Cornelius Enders, O. S. B., and blessed by the Rt. Rev. John J. McCort, D. D., on Labor Day, September 4, 1922. The dedicatory address was given by the Rev. Urban J. Peters, a son of the parish. The school (with 96 children for the 1929- 30 term) was opened September 5, 1922, by four Sisters of Mercy who moved into their convent on October 19, 1922. The first shovel of dirt making the beginning of the convent was lifted by the Rev. James Spalding, O. S. B., on April 4, 1922. The Rev. Leopold Probst, O. S. B., D.Ph., the next pastor was instrumental in receiving for the congregation a $250.00 ostensorium which is indeed a wonderful piece of art. The reading of last year's statement by the Rev. Alphonse Farley, O. S. B., showed that the congregation is working courageously in harmony with the pastor in spite of the depression in the coal trade.
The report also shows that 130 members belong to the
Rosary Society, 60 to the Holy Name Society, 47 to the Children of Mary Sodality, 45 to the Ladies Aid with a Catholic population of 475. The Borough had a population of 3628 in 1920 which declined to 2985 in 1930.
Sixteen men of the congregation formed Branch No. 60 of the Catholic Knights of St. George which was organizon October 23, 1905.
An Indian Village.
Francis H. Bearer, son of J. G. C. Bearer states that an Indian cemetery was located on the Dan. Heimbach (Andrew Eckenrode) farm west of his father's farm, that about and before 1870 he oftentimes visited the cemetery and as fas as he remembers there were a dozen or more Indian headstones to be seen in the place among the trees. Sheriff Joseph Gray states that among those graves were buried the 13-year-old son of Isaac Gifford of near Nicktown and a young man named Barkstresser. With Sheriff Gray walked the writer to the place, N. E. of St. Mary's Greek Catholic church, and found the place had been under cultivation for some years and no sign of any tombstones. Daniel Garman relates that John Moore, a half breed, from here led Zephania Weakland, whom he blindfolded, to a place on the Moss Creek and showed him a deposit of lead in the creek.
Continuation of Page 147.
The Rev. Michael Hlavcak, O. S. B., ordained July 2, 1916.
The Ven. Blase Strittmatter, O. S. B., professed July 2, 1926.
The Rev. Joseph Eger, grandson of Jacob Gill, ordained 8th of July, 1886, is the Permanent Rector of St. Joseph's church, Braddock, Pa.
The Rev. Maurus Hartman, O. S. B., ordained June 8, 1895, and on June 13, the feast of Corpus Christi, celebrated his first Mass in St Boniface church. Father Maurus, born 11th November, 1868, at Bally, Pa., came here in the following year with his parents James Hartman and Barbara nee Angele and later made his higher studies at St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa., where he entered the Benedictine Order on July 11, 1890. Excepting one year at St. Anselm College, Manchester, N. H., he spent the term of his priesthood at St. Vincent Archabbey first as a professor then as the Procurator until the fall of 1911 when he was sent to St. Mary's, Pa. In the following May he attended the clerical conference at Erie, Pa., and was stricken with appendicitis which caused his death on the 17th of May, 1912. Interment took place in the St. Vincent Archabbey cemetery.
The Rev. Thomas Ott, son of Thomas Ott and Mary nee Blum, born June 1, 1872, baptized also by Father Michael Hofmayer, made his classical studies at St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa., and the theological course at St. Bernard College, St. Bernard, Alabama. Father Ott, ordained on the 25th of July, 1897 in Covington, Ky., by the Rt. Rev. Camillus Paul Maes, D. D., for the diocese of Covington,
Ky., celebrated his first Mass here in St. Boniface church on August the first. Father Denis Stolz, who preached the sermon, and Father Maurus Hartman assisted as deacon and subdeacon, Father Alphonse as assistant priest with Father Alto, the pastor, as master of ceremonies. On the following Sunday he celebrated the High Mass at St. Lawrence. Father Ott was stationed at Lexington, Ky., Newport, Alexandria, Morning View and finally at St. John's Hill where he died on May 15, 1907. Interment took place in the family lot in St. Benedict's cemetery, Carrolltown, Pa.
The Rev. Henry Becker, O. S. B., born August 10, 1876, son of Charles Becker and Catharine nee Huber, baptized by Father Michael Hofmayr, O. S. B., made his classical and philosophical course at St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa., and the theological studies at St. Anselm College, Manchester, N. H. Having been ordained to the priesthood on June 29, 1902, in the cathedral of Manchester by the Rt. Rev. Denis M. Bradley, the first Bishop of Manchester, Father Henry celebrated his first Mass on the following sixth of July at St. Boniface. Fathers Anselm and Maurus were the deacon and subdeacon, Father Alphonse Heimler the assistant priest, Father Vincent Huber the orator and Father Maximillian, the pastor, master of the ceremonies. Father Henry labored as the curate of the Sacred Heart Church, Elizabeth, N. J., from September 1902, to September, 1903; curate of St. Benedict's church, Newark, to September, 1903; professor at St. Benedict's College, Newark, to September, 1904; professor at St. Anselm College, Manchester, N. H., to 1909; curate at the Sacred Heart church, Elizabeth, N. J., to 1910; professor at St. Benedict's College, Newark to 1912; curate at St. Benedict's church, Newark, to 1927; rector of St. Raphael's church, Manchester, N. H., to October, 1927, when he was appointed as the Very Rev. Prior of St. Mary's Monastery, Delbarton, Morristown,, P. O., N. J.
The Rev. Placidus Rattenberger, O. S. B., although not born here, was ordained to the holy priesthood on the 21st of December, 1918, and celebrated his first Mass at St. Boniface on the next Sunday, December 22, 1918. Father Placidus is at present a member of the faculty of St. Emma's Industrial and Agricultural College, Rock Castle "Belmead," Powhatan County, Va.
The Rev. Brother Elijius Abel is with the Christian Brothers, San Francisco, Cal.
The Rev. Francis Pearns, an orphan boy, was sent by the pastor of St. Nicholas church, to St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa., where he made all of his studies for the priesthood. The Rt. Rev. Regis Canivin, D. D., ordained him for the diocese of Pittsburgh and on Sunday, June 27, 1909, he celebrated his first Mass in St. Nicholas church. Father Pearns is in charge of St. Joseph's church, Roscoe, Washington County, Pa.
Rev. Bernard Weakland, baptized in St. Bernard's church, by the Rt. Rev. Eugene A. Garvey, ordained May 13, 1917, said his first Mass in St. Patrick's church, Spangler. He is listed in the Official Catholic Directory as stationed at Denver, Colorado.
The Rev. Frederic Strittmatter, O. S. B., born in Hastings, October 25, 1894, made his religious profession July 2, 1917, was ordained priest June 24, 1923, and celebrated his first Mass on Sunday, July 1, at 8 A. M., in St. Bernard's church. He was placed on the staff of professors at St. Vincent college and given charge also of the Sacred Heart church at Youngstown, Pa. In the summer of 1929 he was appointed Director of St. Emma's Industrial and Agricultural College, Belmead, Rock Castle, P. O., Powhatan Co., Va.
The Rev. Denis Strittmatter, O. S. B., born in Hastings, August 18, 1896, made his religious profession July 2, 1917, raised to the priesthood June 24, 1923, and on July 1, at 10:30 A. M., celebrated his first Mass, Father Luke Eichenlaub, O. S. B., preaching the sermon. During the years of his priesthood he was one of the Professors in St. Vincent College, curate in the Abbey church for one year, then assistant pastor at the Sacred Heart church, at Jeannette, Pa., finally curate at St. Mary's church, N. S., Pittsburgh, Pa. In 1929 he was placed at the head of one of the departments in St. Emma's Industrial and Agricultural College, Belmead, Va.
The Rev. Germane Anna, O. S. B., born at St. Boniface, March 25, 1898, made his studies at St. Vincent College
where he entered the Order, making his profession July 2, 1920, and was ordained to the priesthood June 13, 1926, celebrating his first Mass on the Sunday following in St. Bernard's church. Father Germane was sent to St. Joseph's church, Covington, Ky., as the assistant. In the following January his health became impaired and he was ordered to St. Vincent Archabbey where he remained until the anniversary of his first Mass when he died of pleurisy and hemorrhages.
The Rev. John C. Gordon, a former resident of this place, a 1914 graduate from the Hastings High school, made his theological studies at Mt. St. Mary's Seminary, Md., was ordained Tuesday, June 12, 1928, and celebrated his first Mass in St. Edward's church, Barnesboro.
The Rev. Innocent Strittmatter, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Strittmatter, was elevated to the priesthood in St. Leo's church, Altoona, by the Rt. Rev. John J. McCort, D. D., on February 3, 1929. He celebrated his first solemn High Mass in St. Bernard's church, Sunday, February 10, at 10:30 A. M. The text of the Rev. Urban J. Peters was: "You have not chosen me; but I have chosen you; and have appointed you, that you should go, and should bring forth fruit; and your fruit should remain; that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in My Name, he may give you." (John XV 16-19.) He is the assistant at St. Francis church, Cresson, Pa.
The Rev. Cyprian Yahner, son of Isidore P. Yahner and Mary L. nee Wilt, was born at Hastings, December 28, 1902, made all his higher studies at St. Vincent College where he was professed as a member of the Benedictine order on July 2, 1924. He was ordained on
The Rev. Anthony Choby of St. George's church was ordained February 27, 1926, celebrated his first holy Mass in St. George's church on Sunday, February 28. He studied at St. Vincent and finished at St. Francis, Loretto, Pa. He is assistant at St. Stephen's church, Johnstown, Pa.
The Rev. Jeremiah P. Flynn, son of Mrs. Ella Flynn and the late Jeremiah P. Flynn, born here ____, received his early education in the parochial school here, his higher studies in St. Francis college, was ordained by the Rt. Rev. Bishop John J. McCort, D. D., February 3, 1929, for
the diocese of Altoona. Father Flynn celebrated his first Mass at St. Mary's church, Sunday, February 10, at 10 A. M., with the Rev. Anthony Choby, a former Patton young man of St. George's parish, now of Johnstown, as deacon of the mass; the Rev. Joseph O'Leary, S. T. D., as subdeacon, the Rev. Father Henry, O. S. B., rector of St. Mary's church, as the Archpriest. The Very Rev. John P. M. Doyle, D. D., T. O. R., Rector of St. Francis Seminary preached the sermon. Father Flynn is the assistant at St. John's church, Johnstown, Pa.
The Rev. Urban J. Peters, born here July 16, 1895, baptized July 21, 1895 by the Rev. Francis Xavier Traxler, O. S. B., made his classical and theological studies at old St. Vincent, Latrobe, Pa. The Rt. Rev. Eugene A. Garvey ordained him a priest for the Diocese of Altoona on December 18, 1920, and on the following day, December 19, celebrated his first holy Mass in the Holy Cross Church. Beside doing parochial work Father Peters was the Diocesan Superintendent of the Diocesan schools for several years, then was appointed Diocesan Director of the Society of the Propagation of the Faith and Diocesan Director of the Association of the Holy Childhood. His address is the Rev. Urban J. Peters, 5536 Roselawn Avenue, Altoona, Pa.
The Venerable Patrick McKivigan, O. S. B., born in the Holy Cross parish on February 3, 1907, made his classical studies at St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa., entered the Benedictine Order and took his Solemn Vows on the second of July, 1927, and is now engaged in his theological studies.
SISTERS OF THE PARISHES
Add to Page 148.
Sr. M. Margaret (Edna) Dunlap, O. S. B., St. Mary Convent, 4532 Perryville Road, N. S. Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Pauline (Rosemary) Stevens, O. S. B., St. Mary Convent, 4532 Perryville Road, N. S., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Norberta (Anna) Michrina, O. S. B., St. Mary Convent, 4532 Perryville Road, N. S., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Callista Grasberger, O. S. B., Philadelphia.
Sr. Mary of the Visitation Grasberger, Sister of St. Joseph.
Sr. M. Vincentia Volk, Sr. of Charity, Greensburg, Pa.
Sisters of the Good Shepherd are:
Sr. M. Augustine (Mary E.) Burne. Buffalo, N. Y.
Sr. M. Immaculata Kohler, Troy Hill, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Lucy (Rose) Becker, O. S. B., Elizabeth, N. J.
Sr. M. Josephine (Mary) Feldum, O. S. B., Cullman, Ala.
Sr. M. Scholastica (Eve) Feldum, O. S. B., Alabama.
Sr. M. Beatrice (Scholastica) Kline, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Thais Abel, Sr. of Mercy, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Apalonia Hahn, Sr. of St. Joseph, Baden, Pa.
Sr. M. Boniface (Adaline Catharine) Kirkpatrick, O. S. B., New Jersey.
Sr. M. Barbara (Helen) McMullen, O. S. B., Elizabeth, N. J.
Sr. M. Dolores (Catharine) Baker, O. S. B., Elizabeth, N. J.
Sr. M. Martina (Annie) Baker, O. S. B., Elizabeth, N. J.
Sr. M. Philomena (Anna) Yahner, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Placida (Magdalin) Yahner, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Rita (Rose) Yahner, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr .M. Bertram (Catharine) Yahner, Sr. of Charity, Nazareth, Ky.
Sr. M. Ludwina (Helen) Yahner, Sr. of Charity, Nazareth, Ky.
Sr. Barbara Niebauer, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson, Pa.
Sr. Vincent de Paul (Mary) Baker, Sr. of Charity, Greensburg, Pa.
Sr. M. (Mary) Wilson, O. S. B., St. Mary's Pa.
Sr. M. Bonaventure (Mary) Blobner, O. S. F., Glenriddle, Pa.
Sr. M. Martha (Hilda) Kirsch, O. S. F., Glenriddle, Pa.
Sr. M. Demetria (Mary) Kirsch, O. S. B., Glenriddle.
Sr. M. Agnes (Helen) Kirsch, Sr. of Charity, Philadelphia, Pa.
Sr. M. Balbina (Magdalin) Krumenacker, O. S. F., Glenriddle.
Sr. M. Marinus (Gertrude) Krumenacker, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Martha (Martha) Nealen, O. S. F., Glenriddle.
Sr. M. Margaret (Margaret) Nealen, O. S. F., Buffalo, N. Y.
Sr. M. Barbara (Helen) Nealen, O. S. F., Arlington, Md.
Sr. M. Martha (Christina) Soisson, O. S. F., Lancaster, Pa.
Sr. M. Gervase (Mary) Springer, O. S. F., Glenriddle.
Sr. M. Cyrilla (Magdalin) Snyder, O. S. F., Glenriddle.
Sr. M. Alma (Alma) Soisson, Sr. of Mercy, Pittsburgh.
Sr. M. Consuella (Geraldine) Kirsch, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson, Pa.
Sr. M. Victoria (Clara) Smith, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Berchmans (Margaret) Ager, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Bernadine (Helen) Lieb, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Ricarda (Calista) Parrish, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Martha (Mary) Pfister, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Anicetus (Mary) Ragley, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Celine (Luella) Ragley, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Gervase (Viola) Wyland, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Ricarda (Lizzie) Kline, O. S. F., Trenton, Del.
Sr. M. Geraldine (____) Yahner, O. S. B., Pittsburgh.
Sr. M. Gervase (Frances) McMullen, O. S. B., Elizabeth, N. J.
Sr. M. Casilda (Mary) Yahner, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Frances (Rose) Huber, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Gertrude (Hilda) Holtz, O. S. B., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Eleanor (Philomena) Anna, Little Sr. of the Poor, New Haven, Conn.
Sr. M. Cyprian (Mary) Yahner, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Cyrenus (Genevieve) Yahner, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Clementine (Elizabeth) Gunther, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Armilla (____) Nelson, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Immaculata (Margaret) Yahner, I. H. M., died April 25, 1930.
Sr. M. Ferdinand (Olga) Gunther, Sr. of Mercy, Plainfield, N. J.
Sr. M. Louise (Hilda) Peters, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Clotilda (Agnes) Binder, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Boniface (Adelaide) Kirkpatrick, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Christine (Olene) Dumm, Sr. of Mercy, Cresson.
Sr. M. Rita (Ethel) Cunningham, O. S. B., St. Scholastica Convent, 7430 Ridge Ave., Chicago, Ill.
Sr. M. Joanna (Grace) Cunningham, O. S. B., St. Scholastic Convent, 7430 Ridge Ave., Chicago, Ill.
Sr. M. Collete (Pearl) Westrick, O. S. B., St. Scholastic Convent, 7430 Ridge Ave., Chicago, Ill.
Sr. M. Leonard (Jennie) Buck, Sr. of Mercy, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sr. M. Edwin (Elenore) Deptula, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Eymard (Helen) Dietrich, Sr. of Charity, Greensburg, Pa.
Sr. M. Kevin (Beatrice) Nagle, I. H. M., Scranton, Pa.
Sr. M. Aimee (Anna) Pinnacovich, I. H. M., Scranton.
THE DIAMOND JUBILEE
ST. BENEDICT'S CHURCH
The diamond jubilee celebration of St. Benedict's church proved a very successful event. Not a hitch occurred to mar any part of the program arranged. Large crowds attended the services Sunday morning and evening and Monday morning when the celebration closed.
A procession consisting of the members of the Angels' Sodality, Holy Name, St. John's Slavish Society and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus and the Hastings band marched to the Monastery at 10 o'clock Sunday morning where they met the Rt. Rev. John J. McCort, D. D., Bishop of the Altoona diocese and clergy and escorted them to the church.
At 10:30 a. m. a Solemn Pontifical Mass at which Rt. Rev. John J. McCort, D. D., was the Celebrant, Assistant Priest, Very Rev. H. M. O'Neil; First Deacon of Honor, Rev. P. Aloysius, O. S. B.; Second Deacon of Honor, Rev. P. Stephen, O. S. B.; Deacon of the Mass, Rev. P. Alto, O. S. B.; Subdeacon of the Mass, Rev. P. Malachy, O. S. B.; Master of Ceremonies, Rev. P. Roger, O. S. B. Present in the Sanctuary were the following: Rt. Rev. Aurelius Stehle, O. S. B., Archabbot of St. Vincent; Chaplains to the Archabbot, Rev. James Graven and Rev. F. J. Eger. The following were also present in the Sanctuary: Very Rev. B. Conley and the Revs. Daniel Callahan, S. J., F. P. Corcoran, F. J. McCarthy, Leo Bailey, J. Hickey, P. Bohan, J. H. Farran, P. Farran, P. Modestus, O. S. B., P. Henry, O. S. B., P. Adrian, O. S. B., P. Stephen, O. S. B., P. Clarence, O. S. B.
Rev. P. Michael, O. S. B., delivered a very pleasing sermon, his language was simple and easily understood. He spoke of the solemnity of the occasion of the trials and sacrifices of the early settlers and the difficulties they had to overcome. Bishop McCort in a few remarks congratulated the pastor and members of the parish on the occasion and the success they made it.
At 7:00 p. m. Rt. Rev. Aurelius Stehle, O. S. B., was the celebrant at Pontifical Vespers. Assistant Priest, Rev. P. Aloysius, O. S. B.; First Deacon of Honor, Rev. P. Ste-
phen, O. S. B.; Second Deacon of Honor, Rev. P. Adrian, O. S. B.; Chanters, Revs. P. Marinus, O. S. B., and P. Henry, O. S. B., Revs. P. Alto, O. S. B., and P. Malachy, O. S. B.; Master of Ceremonies, Rev. Roger, O. S. B.
Vespers was followed by Benediction and Te Deum.
On Monday, July 12th, at 9 a. m. Pontifical Requiem Mass was celebrated with Rt. Rev. Aurelius Stehle, O. S. B., as Celebrant; Assistant Priest, Rev. F. J. Eger; First Deacon of Honor, Rev. P. Aloysius, O. S. B.; Second Deacon of Honor, Rev. P. Alto, O. S. B.; Deacon of the Mass, Rev. P. Michael, O. S. B.; Subdeacon of the Mass, Rev. P. Malachy, O. S. B.; Master of Ceremonies, Rev. P. Roger, O. S. B.
The Mass was followed by procession of the Clergy and the members of the congregation to the cemetery, where prayers were offered for the deceased members of the congregation. This tribute to the dead ended the church services of the Diamond Jubilee.
The church was beautifully decorated for the affair and a great many strangers were present. The event will long be remembered by our people.
St. Benedict's church was dedicated December 25th, 1850, the celebration was extended to the present on account of weather conditions during the winter season.
The Ladies' of the Altar Society served dinner in the school hall which was attended by several hundred people. —Carrolltown News, July 15, 1926.
The name Achsinnessink was given by the Indians to noted places where they placed a small rock, none others being in the neighborhood, to designate the place of their meetings. Such a place was reported by John Wirtner who in 1850 worked for the Honorable John Buck, sawing logs when the season permitted or otherwise working on the farm in East Carroll Township. When leaving the farm for church at Carrolltown he went through the woods and William Cole's lane passing an Indian planted stone, at the end of the lane, covered with various hieroglyphics. The stone was on the lower part of the farm where the ravine coms up from James Cain's to where the old road was
changed or in other words the spot is on the lower end of Otto Lauer's farm. Stones being scarce here it was thought that Augustine Yost, after his dwelling burnt, used it in the foundation of his new house or it may be in one of the Cole's buildings. Many arrow points, skinning knives, etc., have been found on that farm. The stone was seen by James Byrne, Augustine Yost, John Buck, William Cole, Henry Bender, James and John Cain and others.
The Trappist Clear Field.
The Rev. Demetrius A., Prince Gallitzin, Pioneer Priest of Loretto and the Allegheny Mountains, in 1814, sent some of his parishioners to accompany the five Trappist Monks to their future Monastery at Carrolltown, where they located in the forest, on a small Indian Clear Field, about the size of a large potato field. The men helped the monks to build a wooden house. Augustine A. Lieb now owns the place.
The Eckenrode Mill Village.
This Indian village is located by the cemetery, one fourth of a mile south of Eckenrode's mill on the west side of the Chest creek. All traces of the tombstones have been removed to make room for a baseball ground. Henry J. Link states that when he moved, 1871, onto his farm he found rows of corn stubbles in the dense forest of 40-50 feet tall pine trees, across the Chest creek east of his farm and close to the Kuntzman farm. This would not be a quarter of a mile south of the mill. About a mile south of the cemetery tradition says there was lead ore deposited in Chest creek some distance north of the township road.
The Litzinger Cemetery or Indian Village.
This Indian cemetery, on the old Simon Litzinger farm, now owned by a Mr. Bloomberg, is reached by leaving the H. J. Eckenrode mill, formerly the Litzinger mill, for the north on the road leading to the Patton-Chest Springs cement road and is about a mile and a half distant in a bee line from the mill. Mr. Bloomberg states that there are 17 graves there on the high ground and located by four locust trees but all the stone markers were removed. According to one authority some of the graves are those of white people.
An Indian encampment was reported by James Douglas as having been located on his farm through which the Kittanning Trail passed. There was seen there where several very old and tall locust trees stand a grave in former days but the head stone is now missing.
(Continued from page 247)
Holy Name Society.
The society has a membership of 254 members.
Irish Catholic Benevolent Union.
Catholic Knights of St. George.
WORLD WAR SERVICE MEN
Names of World War Service Men previously reported to this collection and not appearing on list reported on page 153.
St Benedict's Parish, Carrolltown, Pa.
SOLDIERS BURIED IN NORTHERN
The typographical errors of the first part of this book are due to lack of opportunity to read proof. The author being sick in the Mercy Hospital when it was printed in 1926.
T. J. Chapman in "Old Pittsburgh" page 63 says: "Grant Hill overlooks Fort Duquesne, and is scarcely a half mile from it. The hill was a rugged bluff with a steep de-
scent towards the fort. It was much higher than at present and was cut across by deep ravines." The deep ravines carried the waters from a pond to the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers thus forming an island.
Names of Patrons and Subscribers who made it possible to meet the expenses of placing Part II before the public:
Read the book first and mention it when you patronize our advertisers. Remember, you will find these places a good place to buy.