||HISTORY OF LOWER SCIOTO VALLEY
Kay L. Mason
Societies-Infirmary-Floods-Items-County Officers. Agricultural Societies-First Organization-Grange-County Infirmary-The Waters and the Floods-The Flood of 1883-Itemized-Oil Excitement, 1861-Common Pleas-County Officers. [Text Version]
Agricultural and horticultural societies have become quite numerous throughout the country, and there is very little in the history of the State that has done more to advance her progress than these exhibitions of the intelligence and enterprise and progressive spirit of the agricultural population. The success of these institutions is due alone to the education and social qualities of the masses, and history furnishes no successful farming community that does not have the spirit of competion buoyant and active, which does not have a pride in the friendly strife to carry off the blue ribbon at the fair. It is these associations and the rivalry they engender which bring prominently before the people of this country and of Europe the advancements made in developing the rich resources of our fertile fields. That competition is the life of business is true, and competition at agricultural fairs sharpens the intellect and faculties of our husbandmen, gives life to the inventive genius of our artisans and mechanics, and encourages those who have chosen to work in the labyrinthian depths of the still scarcely known fields of science and of art. Agricultural and horticultural societies should, then, be nourished with care, for their success is due to intelligence, enterprise and social qualities of the people. Without this they will not flourish. Strong and vigorous competition with tenacity of purpose insures success, and the honest pride of the people in these tests of skill is worthy of all praise. Not only is the skill of the hands of man brought to high perfection, but the genius and intuition of the women of the land, their handicraft in those departments of labor in which they stand pre-eminent, are quickened by these social agents of American progress, and these notable attributes, the grace, culture and modest bearing of the glorious womanhood of our country, stand forth in all their native force and beauty. It is this view of the case that calls forth regret, that the farmers, mechanics and artisans of Scioto County have allowed the agricultural and horticultural society of the county to droop and die. While they many not know what they lose by this mingling of social life, and these annual contributions of their skill in all the branches of farm life and in the mechanics and the arts, yet it can not be computed in dollars and cents; and to the world at large it is a sad evidence of a want of enterprise and neighborly feeling. Scioto County stands in need of a first-class agricultural society, but whether her people will arise and throw off their sloth is a question yet to be answered, and we are afraid only in the dim and distant future.
The first agricultural and horticultural society organized in Scioto County was in 1828. A meeting was held the last week in May and a committee appointed to draft a constitution and by-laws, and prepare for a permanent organization. The meeting for this latter purpose was held June 16, 1828. The constitution was adopted and the following officers were elected and a board of directors appointed: President, Roswell Crane; Vice- President, William Kendall; Corresponding Secretaries, S. M. Tracy, Ed. Hamilton; Recording Secretary, John Peebles; Treasurer, John H. Thornton; Board of Directors and Members, William Kendall, David Mitchell, William M. Burke, Samuel B. Burt, Ebenezer Corwine, David Jones, George Hered, James Dewitt, Peter H. Lindsey, G. W. Clingman and William Shelpman. But two fairs were held, in the falls of 1828 and 1829, holding two days each, and probably for the period were fairly successful. Nothing further was heard of it, and just when it collapsed is not of record. The next attempt to start a society was in 1839. Oct. 4 of that year a meeting was held, and the Scioto Agricultural Society was formed with the following officials elected: President, Joseph Moore; Vice-President, Anson Chamberlain; Treasurer, Aaron Kinney; Corresponding Secretary, John R. Turner; Recording Secretary, Francis Cleveland; Directors, William Kendall, Ora Crane, Peter Noel, John B. Dodd, Allen C. McArthur, John C. Crull, Ira A. Hitchcock, Joshua Nurse, Benjamin Masters and William Marsh. In 1840 Colonel Joseph Moore was re-elected President and Allen C. McArthur, Secretary. The fall of 1839 the Portsmouth Jockey Club held races, which commenced Oct. 24, 1839, and H. Jefford, who had charge of the races, notified the entrees that he would be responsible for the purses offered. Whether there was a fair held was not mentioned. The society continued to exist for several years, and quite a number of fairs were held. In 1854 the following were the officers: President, G. S. B. Hempstead; Vice-President, John A. Turley; Treasurer, Thomas Dugan; Secretary, A. Buskirk; Directors, Josiah G. Merrill, N. L. Robinson, James M. Cole, C. O. Tracy and John Masters.
In the following December after a successful fair was held a new election of officers for 1855 took place, and as the officials had been successful nearly all were re-elected: G.S.B. Hempstead, President; John A. Turley, Vice-President; W. S. McColm, Secretary; Thos. Dugan, Treasurer; Directors, Burris Moore, Nile Township; Clark Gallagher, Washington Township; Geo. W. Hered, Union Township; James Freeman, Brush Creek Township; Jonathan Glaze, Morgan Township; Geo. W. Coffrin, Wayne Township; John L. Ward, Wayne Township; Aaron Noel, Clay Township; Chas. H. Davis, Jefferson Township; Josiah G. Merrill, Porter Township; Orin Gould, Greene Township; John White, Madison Township; Claudine Caddo, Vernon Township; L.P.N. Smith, Bloom Township; John M. Violet, Harrison Township.
March 6, 1856, a meeting was held for the purpose of putting life into the organization, for it began to drag fearfully; $350 was raised in Portsmouth to give as premiums, and the following persons were named and asked to canvass their respective townships and revive the spirits of the farmers and get them more thoroughly interested so as to have a good meeting in the fall:
Mitchell Evans, Wm. Veach, Nile Township; Aaron Clark, Clark Galliger, Washington Township; Levi Kirkendall, Phillip Noel, Union Township; Thornton Kendall, Freeman, Brush Creek Township; David Noel, John Clay, Morgan Township; W. H. Bennett, A. W. Buskirk, Wayne Township; Wm. Masters, P. W. Noel, Clay Township; Leonard Croniger, H. C. Rouse, Jefferson Township; S. Pixley, G. W. Flanders, Porter Township; P. F. Boynton, Orin Gould, Greene Township; A. S. McFann, C. Cadot, Vernon Township; Wm. Noland, W. H. Stockham, Madison Township; George T. Walton, Wm. Holmes, Bloom Township; Wm. Crull, F. Batterson, Harrison Township. It was, however, but a spasmodic effort and the organization finally gave up its life.
Since the civil war no attempt has been made to revive the society, or if so it has been a failure. This is unfortunate for the county. While Scioto County is not all agricultural, yet it contributes no small share of the aggregate, in cereals and stock, that forms the crops and the wealth of the State, and in this respect the farming population is lacking in enterprise and pride in their calling.
At the time of the grange excitement through the State quite a number of granges were organized, and much interest seemed to be raised. Their first annual harvest picnic was held Sept. 3, 1874, and was a splendid success. A county council was organized Sept. 12, 1874, and the order flourished greatly the following year. It then began to lose its interest and has finally disappeared, although there is a semblance of State and National organization still kept up. It has not influence upon the farming interests of the country, and is probably held together by the property of the National Grange, which has not been divided and is not likely to be. Who will get it of course is not known, but a few leaders are disposed to hold on.
The order in all respects was one to be proud of. Its object and aim was the elevation of the working classes of the country, to show them their rights and how those rights might be secured by a unity of action and a concentration of purpose; not only this, but the education and a concentration of purpose; not only this, but the education and culture of all was one of its cardinal features. To enhance the comforts and attractions of homes, to foster and encourage neighborly feeling, to lessen expense by co-operation, to purchase cheaper by combining and purchasing in larger quantities, to avoid litigation, to earnestly work to allay all sectional strife and make us indeed one people and one country, were the links in the chain which bound together those who had united with the order.
There was enough in these desires to found an organization as durable as the rocks, but fraud enlisted the thousands who are ever ready to sell their souls for gain, and what they could not and dare not do openly to oppose this organization was done by treachery and deceit.
The first County Infirmary was erected in 1846, and finished in December of that year.
The contractors and builders were Messrs. McIntyre & Stillwell, and on completion at
above date was turned over to the county commissioners. The commissioners at their
January session, 1847, appointed three Infirmary Directors to hold until others were
elected and qualified: Joseph Riggs, Moses Gregory and Jacob T. Noel. This remained
until destroyed by fire in 1882, when arrangements were made to erect a more
commodious building, and for that purpose the commissioners met in session in
September, 1882. At that meeting the following record was made: "The board of
commissioners being in session, and all the members thereof being present, the Infirmary
Directors of said county, to-wit: Joseph Graham, Leonidas Piles and Jacob Bower,
appeared at said meeting and took seats with said commissioners, and thereupon the
plans, drawing, specifications, bills of material and estimates relative to the building of a
County Infirmary heretofore proposed and finished by A. B. Alger, architect, were taken
up by the joint board of county commissioners and infirmary directors for examination,
and after the same were duly examined, Chas. Goddard moved that the said plans,
drawing, representations and estimates for the building of a County Infirmary be
approved and that said approval be indorsed upon the same, which motion was seconded
by W. Turner and carried by the following vote: Yes, Joseph Graham, Leonidas Piles,
Jacob Bower, Infirmary Directors; C. A. Goddard, Chas. Winter, Wm. Turner, Board of
The building is still in progress of erection at this writing, September, 1883, with the prospect of its being completed within a year.
The specifications and the estimates submitted and approved seemed to carry out the idea of a building to cost about $10,000. The estimates offered are given: Carpenter work, I. J. Dewey, $2,660; stone work, Musser & Noel, $502.34; brick work, E. Stearns, $3,800; tinning work, J.M. Lenhart, $585; plastering work, M. White, $1,070; painting work, H. Burger, $425; total, $9,042.34.
That was the total intended cost, but it is now thought that the commissioners will be willing, on account of changes made, to pay $15,000 for a clear bill of cost. It is expected to cost about this sum when fully completed and furnished.
Since the settlement of this section of the country numerous floods have come upon the Scioto Valley, and along the banks of the beautiful "La Belle Riviere," destroying a vast amount of property in their surging and murky waters. The valley of the Scioto and along the Ohio has been subject to occasional inundations from the Scioto and Ohio rivers. From the first settlement of the county in the year 1795 to the year 1820, they were more frequent and certain than since; gradually they have been diminishing in height and frequency, with the exception of the years 1832, 1847, 1858, 1875 and 1883.
The floods in the Ohio give the river a rise and fall of about sixty feet, but Feb. 15, 1832, it rose to sixty-three feet and produced immense injury to crops, fences and bridges. The Scioto poured in its flood, and the valley for miles and from hill to hill was a vast island sea.
Since that period that Ohio bottoms had not been inundated until the winter of 1847, during which the water was four times at forty-five and once at fifty feet above low water mark.
These heavy floods covered all the low lands up to the second plateau, which rises from the banks of the river, and they covered all of the city of Portsmouth located upon the first terrace. A steamboat was once made fast to the old hotel building which stood where the Biggs House now stands. The flood of 1858 occurred in May, and the Scioto and its tributaries were bank full with the raging waters. The loss to crops was not so great, but the corn and the meadows suffered severely. The rains continued, a heavy storm coming up on the 7th had reached their greatest, and was up to within a few inches of the last of May freshet. June 11 came another storm, and this came before the waters had subsided, and it again swelled the river until it equaled that of 1847 and exceeded that of 1852. The damage was to meadows; crops fences and bridges were covered with a heavy coating of mud and debris. Something over $100,000 was a computation of the loss by this disastrous flood. The next serious flood was that of 1873. The rain commenced falling July 3, on Thursday, and continued until Saturday the 5th, and the valley was inundated from above Chillicothe to the river's mouth. But the flood of 1875, because of its coming in a summer month, was perhaps the severest (although nearly seven feet lower than the great rise of 1832) upon the people of the Scioto Valley as well as those living along the Ohio River. This flood destroyed full 10,000 acres of grain in the Scioto Valley and along the Ohio River, within the county. Pike County suffered equally, according to its extent of valley surface.
Fences, bridges, etc., were carried away. The loss on the Ohio River and the tributaries of the Ohio and Scioto in the county swelled the actual destruction to over 10,000 acres of corn, and a total loss to the sufferers by the flood of over $500,000. Perhaps the freshets of earlier years might have been as expensive had the country been as well settled, but this flood and a rise some two weeks earlier proved the most destructive since the valley has been settled.
The first school was taught in the winter of 1798-'99 by John Edgar, and the following winter the second was taught by Reese Thompson. This was in Greene Township.
The first water mill was erected in the fall of 1798 on Bonser's Run, a small stream emptying into the Little Scioto River, by Isaac Bonser. It was a small affair, but of sufficient capacity to meet the wants of the settlers, and took the place of hand mills in the neighborhood.
The house of John Collins, in Alexandria, was named as the first place in which to hold court.
The first flat-boat was built in the fall of 1800, by John W. and Abram Miller, and they took a trip to New Orleans.
The last buffalo seen was killed by Phillip Salladay, on the headwaters of Pine Run, in what is now Vernon Township, in 1797.
Samuel Marshall and Hezekiah Merritt planted and raised the first crop of corn in the county in 1796.
The first tavern kept in what is now Scioto County was by John Collins, in Alexandria, in the winter of 1796-'97.
Stephen Cary put up the first house in Alexandria in 1796, Stephen Smith the second, the same year, followed by John Collins, Munn and others.
The first child was born in what is now Scioto County was Fannie Marshall, born in 1797, daughter of Samuel Marshall, Sr.
The first male child born, so far as is known, was William Gilruth, in 1799.
The first resident physician was Dr. Thomas Waller, who located in Alexandria in 1801.
He was a physician of ability and a gentleman by education and practice.
The first brick house erected in the city of Portsmouth was by Jacob Clingman, in 1808.
The first child born in the city of Portsmouth was Polly, daughter of Uriah Barbers. Her birth was in 1804.
There has not been a hanging in Scioto County up to this date, 1883.
The surveyor who surveyed and platted Alexandria was Elias Langham.
The first surveyor who surveyed land in the county, now Scioto, was John O'Bannon, in 1787.
The first tanyard in the county was started by Stephen Cary, in 1801.
The first house built within the corporate limits of Portsmouth was by Emanuel Traxler, in the fall of 1796, on the high ground on what is now Scioto street, west end.
Emanuel Traxler was the first Justice of the Peace living in what is now Scioto County. He came in 1796, and was appointed by Governor St. Clair, in the spring of 1798.
The first tavern kept in the county was by Martin Funk, in 1803, on the Chillicothe road.
The first distillery in the country was built by the Cadots in 1798, but there were others soon after.
The first court-house was a frame building, erected and completed in 1817. It was on Market street, between Front and Second streets.
The first log school-house built outside of Alexandria was in what is now Porter Township, near Sciotoville; school taught in it by a Mr. Reed, from Virginia, in the winter of 1805-'06.
John F. Smith ran the first ferry across the Scioto, from Alexandria. This was when the mouth of the Scioto was a mile and over below its present mouth, known as the "Old Mouth."
The first school taught in Alexandria was by William Jones in the year 1800.
The public Land office opened in Chillicothe in 1801.
The first marriage certificate of record reads "Oct. 5, 1802. Joined together as husband and wife, Nathaniel Davisson and Betsey Kelley. Kimber Barton, Justice of the Peace."
Quite an excitement was started in 1860 by the fact, that in boring for a salt well by John G. Peebles and his partner they struck a small flow of oil. This was at Hanging Rock, a few miles over the border, in Lawrence County. What was done in this county can be gathered from this extract, published in March, 1861:
"The oil searchers in Scioto are still at work in full vigor, and prosecute their operations with a determined energy and perserverance. The prospects are flattering, and if petroleum exists in paying quantities here we have the satisfaction of knowing that it will not long remain undiscovered. There are gentlemen from abroad engaged in the business here who have visited the noted oil lands of Virginia and Pennsylvania, yet they consider the indications in this region more promising than in any other. First, because they believe the yield will be greater and the quality vastly superior. It is said that a ten-barrel well in Scioto would be fully equal to one of fifty barrels in the Kanawha oil lands.
"Among the first wells bored in Scioto was that on Bear Creek by the Voorhies Rock Oil Company. It is located on the Ohio Canal, twelve miles north of Portsmouth. The depth of it is 376 feet. Oil was struck but the well was not pumped.
"The company left it for a new location in Adams County. Their new well there, on Churn Creek, is bored to the depth of 352 feet. The prospects there are most flattering and the proprietors are in high glee. Information from there to one of them here says that on Friday last a hand pump was put into it and the yield in three hours was between one-half and a barrel of oil. Two of the company left immediately for the "diggin's."
"On Munn's Run, about three miles north of Portsmouth, Messrs. Robinson, Hutchins and Riggs have been working in the "Old Salt Well," the original depth of which is 333 feet. They have opened the ground work to the rock, and are reaming the mouth and preparing to "go below." Their location is a fine one and considerable interest attaches to its success. Lands in the county, in all directions, have been leased by speculation, and, should one of the wells now in prosecution strike a fine yield, the click of the bore would be heard in fifty more, in twenty-four hours after.
"The Portsmouth Petroleum Company are just about running down a bore a few miles above this latter well, while the Portsmouth Rock Oil Company are already actively engaged on a lease a few miles still further up.
"The Scioto Furnace Company have made extensive preparations, and are working vigorously at a well upon their lands. They have bored down about 125 feet, and sunk a shaft preparatory to boring with a steam engine."
The result proved a complete failure.
On the land of Abraham Miller, in the township of Seal, there was growing, in the early part of the present century, a forked, hollow sycamore tree, which measured twenty-one feet in diameter, and more than sixty feet in circumference, tapering from the base upward. The opening of the cavity at the bottom was ten feet wide, and was nine and on- half feet high, with a diameter of fourteen feet. In the year 1810 this tree was standing. The fork was about eight feet from the ground, and at that date one of the branches was dead and broken off about twenty feet high, the other and principal branch was green and thrifty. The spacious cavity attracted the attention of the neighborhood and strangers in that early day. In Brown's Almanac of the above year it was stated that at one time at an assembly of the people of the neighborhood under its spreading branches, June, 1808, thirteen men on horseback entered the hollow trunk of this tree at one time, and there was room at least for two more, all sitting on their horse, and that the number of fifteen horses and men would have been secure from falling rain. One of the riders above alluded to was Wm. Heady, of Frederic County, Va., who reported it, and this was afterward, in November of the same year, corroborated by Major Wm. Reynolds, of Zanesville, Ohio, who also made a visit to this wonderful tree and inspected its house-like cavity.
The Court of Common Pleas was composed, under the old constitution, of one presiding judge and three associate judges. The first court held in Scioto County was in 1803, at the house of John Collins, in Alexandria, Mr. Collins being one of the three associate or local judges appointed. This continued until 1852. The following is the list of judges from 1803 until 1852:
1803-Presiding Judge, Wyllis Silliman; Associate Judges, John Collins, Jos. Lucas, Thos. Wm. Swenney.
1805-Presiding Judge, Robert F. Slaughter; Associate Judges, Jno. Collins, Jos. Lucas, Saml. Reed.
1808-'10-Presiding Judge, Robert F. Slaughter; Associate Judges, John Collins, Wm. Russell, Chas. T. Martin.
1810-'13-Presiding Judge, John Thompson; Associate Judges, John Collins, Wm. Russell, Chas. T. Martin.
1813-'16-Presiding Judge, John Thompson; Associate Judges, Jno. Collins, Wm. Russell, Saml. Crull. In 1817 Lawson Drury took the place of Wm. Russell, and this remained until 1820.
1819-'24-Presiding Judge, Ezra Osbourn; Associate Judges, Jno. Collins, Saml. Crull, Lawson Drury.
1824-'25-Presiding Judge, Ezra Osborn; Associate Judges, Samuel Crull, John Collins, David Mitchel.
1826-Presiding Judge, Thomas Irvin; Associate Judges, Samuel Crull, John Collins, David Mitchel.
1827-'29-Presiding Judge, Thomas Irvin; Associate Judges, John Collins, David Mitchel, Wm. Oldfield.
1830-'31-Presiding Judge, Thomas Irvin; Associate Judges, John Collins, Wm. Oldfield, Samuel Crull.
1832-'33-Presiding Judge, Thomas Irwin; Associate Judges, Wm. Oldfield, Samuel Crull, Wm. Givens.
1834-'36-Presiding Judge, Thomas Irvin; Associate Judges, Samuel Crull, Wm. Givens, Joseph Moore.
1837-'38-Presiding Judge, Thomas Irvin; Associate Judges, Wm. Givens, Joseph Moore, Richard H. Tomlin.
1839-'40- Presiding Judge, Thomas Irvin; Associate Judges, Joseph Moore, Richard H. Tomlin, Abijah Batterson.
1841-'43-Presiding Judge, John E. Hanna; Associate Judges, Richard H. Tomlin, Abijah Batterson, Samuel Crull.
1844-'45-Presiding Judge, John E. Hanna; Associate Judges, Abijah Batterson, Samuel Crull, Wm. Salter.
1846-'47-Presiding Judge, John E. Hanna; Associate Judges, Samuel Crull, Wm. Salter, Edward Cranston.
1848-'50-Presiding Judge, Wm. V. Peck; Associate Judges, Wm. Salter, Edward Cranston, Samuel Crull.
1851-Presiding Judge-Wm. V. Peck; Associate Judges, Saml. Crull, Edward Cranston, Jacob P. Noel.
The change of the Constitution did away with the county associate judges, and formed the State into nine judicial districts. Since then one other district has been added, making ten Common Court Pleas districts in the State. From that date the three counties embraced in this work have belonged to Sub-District No. 2, of District No. 7, and this list of judges will be found in the last chapter of the general history.
The following incomplete list of officers of Scioto County is, to us, a very unsatisfactory one, but with the defective condition of the county records, some of which are lost entirely, it is the best that can be done under the circumstances.
1803-Robert Lucas, Surveyor; James Munn, Coroner; William Russell, Clerk of Courts (resigned in 1805 and Alexander Curran appointed in his stead); William Parrish, Sheriff.
1805-County Commissioners, James Edison, Gabriel Feurt and ___.
1806-Commissioners, Samuel Lucas, Gabriel Lucas and James Edison. The same served until 1808 when David Gharky was elected vice James Edison. In 1809 Jacob Noel was elected vice Samuel Lucas. John Clark, Sheriff from 1807.
1810-John R. Turner appointed Clerk of Courts, serving until 1854; Uriah Barber, Coroner; Elijah Glover appointed Sheriff vice John Clark (resigned), who had served several years. Commissioners same as in 1809.
1811-Commissioners, George W. Clingman, Jacob Noel and Thomas Waller; Collector, John Russell.
1812-Commissioners same: Prosecuting Attorney, Nathan K. Clough; Treasurer, James Edison; Collector, Samuel B. Burt, Elijah Glover and Uriah Barber remaining Sheriff and Coroner, the latter continuing to hold the office for many years.
1813-Commissioners, Jacob Noel, John Russell and Isaac Bonser; Sheriff, Elijah Glover; Prosecuting Attorney, N. K. Clough.
1814-Commissioners same; Treasurer, James Edison; Collector, John Buck; Sheriff, Phillip Moon.
1816-Commissioners same; Sheriff, Nathan Wheeler; Treasurer, William Kendall (his salary for the year was $54.23).
1817-Commissioners, Isaac Bonser, Jacob Noel and John Smith; Coroner, John Smith; Nathan Wheeler was Sheriff and Collector of Land Taxes.
1818-Commissioners, John Smith, Jacob Noel and Isaac Bonser; Coroner, Henry Graham; Treasurer, John Brown, Sr.
1819-Commissioners, Isaac Bonser, Jacob Noel and Samuel B. Burt; Treasurer, Jacob Offnere; Coroner, Henry Sumner; Sheriff and Collector, Nathan Wheeler.
1820-Commissioners, Geo. W. Clingman, John Smith and Jacob Noel; Coroner, Jacob Clingman; Sheriff and Collector, John Noel; Coroner, Uriah Barber; Auditor, William Kendall.
1821-Commissioners same; Auditor, William Kendall; Prosecuting Attorney, Samuel M. Tracy, remaining in the office 1821-‘8.
1822-Commissioners, Jacob Noel, William Carey and Samuel B. Burt; Sheriff and Collector, John Noel, Treasurer, Jacob Offnere; Auditor, David Gharky, appointed in place of William Kendall, resigned.
1823-Commissioners, Samuel B. Burt, William Carey and Charles Crull; Treasurer, Jacob Clingman.
1824-Commissioners, Charles Crull, Daniel McKinney and Samuel M. Tracy; Collected, George W. Clingman; Sheriff, William Carey; Auditor, David Gharky.
1825-Commissioners, Charles Crull, Daniel McKinney and James Lodwick; Sheriff, Nathan Wheeler; Surveyor, William Kendall; Treasurer, Jacob Clingman; Recorder, John R. Turner (holding this office in connection with that of Clerk of Courts).
1826-Commissioners, Daniel McKinney, James Lodwick and Samuel B. Burt; Assessor of County, John McDonald; Collector, William Carey; Sheriff, Moses Gregory; Auditor, David Gharky; Treasurer, Jacob Clingman.
1827-Commissioners, James Lodwick, Samuel B. Burt and Peter Noel, Jr.; Treasurer, Havilah Gunn; Assessor, James Linn; Associate Judges, William Oldfield, John Collins and David Mitchell.
1828-Commissioners, Peter Noel, Jr., Samuel B. Burt and William Jackson; Assessor, John Noel (elected to fill out unexpired two-years term of James Linn); Sheriff, Moses Gregory; Auditor, David Gharky.
1829- Commissioners same; Treasurer, H. Gunn, Assessor, Moses Gregory.
1830-Commissioners, Wm. Jackson, Chas. Crull and Edward Cranston; Sheriff, Moses Gregory; Auditor, Chas. O. Tracy, appointed to fill out term of David Gharky, resigned March 6,1830; Treasurer, Wm. Waller; Assessor, Seymour Pixley.
1831-Commissioners same; Auditor, Moses Gregory; Treasurer and Assessor same. 1832-Commissioners, Wm. Jackson, John B. Dodds and Edward Cranston; Sheriff, C. Overturf; Surveyor, Sam'l Dole; Auditor, M. Gregory.
1833-Commisioners, Ed. Cranston, Jno. B. Dodds and Ebenezer Corwine; Treasurer, David Gharky; Surveyor, Abner B. Clingman; Auditor, M. Gregory.
1834-Commissioners, same; Auditor, same; Sheriff, Mark Bradburn; Prosecuting Attorney, S. M. Tracy; Assessor, Wilson Gates.
1835-Commissioners, Ed. Cranston, Ebenezer Corwin and Peter Noel, Jr.; Auditor, same; Treasurer, C. Overturf; Surveyor, Boswell Crain.
1836-Commissioners, Ed. Cranston, Peter Noel, Jr., and Wm. Jackson; Treasurer, C. Overturf; Surveyor, T. R. Wood; Sheriff, O. Lindsey; Prosecuting Attorney, S. O. Tracy.
1837-Commissioners, Peter Noel, Jr., Wm. Jackson and Wm. Salter; Treasurer, C. Overturf; Assessor, Azel Glover; Sheriff, O. Lindsey.
1839-Commissioners, same as 1837; Treasurer, John Waller; Sheriff, O. Lindsey; Prosecuting Attorney, S. O. Tracy.
1840-Commissioners same; Treasurer same; Auditor, M. Gregory; Sheriff, Jno. H. Thornton; Assessor, Josiah Merrill.
1841-Commissioners, P. Noel, Wm. Salter and Wm. L. Boynton; Treasurer, Wm. McColm; Auditor, Elijah Glover.
1842-Commissioners, P. Noel, Wm. L.
Boynton and John Barber; Auditor, E. Glover; Treasurer, Wm. McColm.
1843-All same as 1842.
1844-Commissioners, S. M. Cole; Sheriff, Nathan Wheeler; Auditor, E. Glover; Recorder, ----- Crichter.
1845-Commissioners, P. Noel, S. M. Cole and Wm. L. Boynton; Treasurer, Wm. McColm; Sheriff, C. P. Chandler.
1846-S. W. Cole, Wm. L. Boynton and James Andrews; Treasurer, Wm. McColm; Sheriff, C. P. Chandler.
1847-Commissioners, S. W. Cole, Isaac Fullerton and John B. Dodds; Auditor, Stephen Kendall; Treasurer, Wm. McColm; Sheriff, C. P. Chandler.
1848-Commissioners, Wm. Lucas; Auditor, G. A. Waller; Sheriff, C. P. Chandler; Surveyor, M. Gregory; Infirmary Director, J. McDowell.
1849-Prosecuting Attorney, E. W. Jorden; rest same as 1848.
1850-Commissioners, Wash. Kinney, Isaac Fullerton and Wm. Lucas; Auditor, G. A. Waller; Treasurer, Wm. McColm; Sheriff, Enos Gunn.
1851-Commissioner, S. N. Robinson; rest same as 1850.
1852-Treasurer, John Cook; Probate Judge, Benj. Ramsey; Clerk of Court, Jno. R. Turner; Auditor and Sheriff, same as '51.
1853-Treasurer, John Cook; Recorder, Martin Crain; Commissioner, Jas. Lodwick; Surveyor, --- Brown; Prosecuting Attorney, Geo. Johnson; Coroner, L. C. Barker.
1854-Probate Judge, ----- Collings; Clerk of Court, ---- Shannon; Auditor, G. H. Gharky; Coroner, ---- Lindsey.
1855-Commissioners, P. T. Lindsey, J. Lodwick and J. S. Fulsom; Auditor, G. H. Gharky; Treasurer, Jno. Cook; Sheriff, Geo. W. Coffin; Clerk of Court, R. H. Shannon.
1856-Commissioners, ---- Hudson; Recorder, ---- Miles; Auditor, ---- Appler; Sheriff, -- -- Cook; Surveyor, --- Brown; Coroner, --- Glidden; Infirmary Director, ---- Glidden.
1857-Commissioner, Graham; Prosecuting Attorney, Crain; Clerk, Cunningham; Treasurer, Cummins; Probate Judge, Huston; Infirmary Director, Powers.
1858-Commissioner, Veach; Sheriff, Ward; Auditor, Flanders; Surveyor, Gregory; Coroner, Scott; Infirmary Director, Hyatt.
1859-Commissioner, A. J. Enslow; Prosecuting Attorney, Martin Crain; Treasurer, Phillip W. Noel; Recorder, Benjamin R. Miles; Infirmary Director, B. L. Jefferson.
1860-Commissioner, J. M. Violet; Probate Judge, F. C. Searl; Clerk, B. F. Cunningham; Sheriff, John L. Ward; Auditor, George W. Flanders; Surveyor, Frank C. Gibbs; Coroner, L. C. Barker; Infirmary Director, John P. Wilhelm.
1861-Prosecuting Attorney, George O. Newman; Treasurer, Phillip W. Noel; Commissioner, Thomas Burt; Infirmary Director, Henry Bertram.
1862-Auditor, A. J. Enslow; Sheriff, Levi S. Brown; Recorder, Jas. T. Douglas; Commissioner, James Connolly; Surveyor, M. G. Nichols; Coroner, Thos. S. Currie; Infirmary Director, Jas. Richardson.
1863-Clerk, S. B. Drouillard; Treasurer, John L. Ward; Prosecuting, J. J. Harper; Probate Judge, F. C. Searl; Commissioner, T. J. Jackson; Infirmary Director, D. P. Jones.
1864-Sheriff, Van B. Hibbs; Auditor, Phillip W. Noel; Commissioner, Thos. Burt; Coroner, L. C. Barker; Infirmary Director, Silas W. Cole.
1865-Treasurer, John L. Ward; Recorder, Isaac F. Mead; Prosecuting Attorney, J. J. Harper; Surveyor, Wm. H. Angle; Commissioners, John McDowell and J. C. Cadot; Coroner, F. J. Griffith; Infirmary Director, V. Burkel.
1866-Clerk, S. B. Drouillard; Auditor, P. W. Noel; Sheriff, John C. Malone; Probate Judge, F. C. Searl; Commissioner, Isaac H. Wheeler; Infirmary Director, D. D. Jones; Surveyor, Horace Crane.
1867-Prosecuting Attorney, A. J. McFairn; Treasurer, Aaron Noel; Commissioner C. E. Bradford; Coroner, Thomas L. Currie; Infirmary Director, James Richardson.
1868-Auditor, James Skelton; Sheriff, John C. Malone; Recorder, Isaac F. Mead; Coroner, Henry Rosenberg; Infirmary Director, V. Burkel.
1869-Clerk, S. B. Drouillard; Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Prosecution Attorney, Henry C. Jones; Treasurer, Chas. Slavens; Surveyor, W. H. Angle; Commissioner, I. H. Fullerton; Coroner, Geo. S. Pursell; Infirmary Director, Silas W. Cole.
1870-Commissioner, C. E. Bradford; Auditor, James Skelton; Treasurer, Charles Slavens; Sheriff, J. C. Malone; Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Prosecuting Attorney, H. E. Jones.
1871-Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Clerk, S. B. Drouillard; Auditor, James Skelton; Treasurer, Charles Slavens; Recorder, L. E. Currie; Prosecuting Attorney, H. E. Jones; Sheriff, J. W. Lewis.
1872-Probate Judge, R. A. Calbert; Clerk, A. B. Cole; Auditor, James Skelton; Treasurer, Charles Slavens; Recorder, L. E. Currie; Prosecuting Attorney, H. E. Jones; Sheriff, J. W. Lewis.
1873-Probate Judge, R. A. Calbert; Clerk, A. B. Cole; Auditor, F. C. Gibbs; Treasured, Charles Slavens; Recorder, H. A. Towne; Prosecuting Attorney, R. M. Spry; Sheriff, J. W. Lewis.
1874-Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Clerk, A. B. Cole; Auditor, F. C. Gibbs; Treasurer, John Boyse; Recorder, H. A. Towne; Prosecuting Attorney, R. M. Spry; Sheriff, Fred. Reininger, Jr.
1875-Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Clerk, A. B. Cole; Auditor, F. C. Gibbs; Treasurer, B. R. Miles; Recorder, H. A. Towne; Prosecuting Attorney, H. W. Farnham; Sheriff, Fred. Reininger, Jr.; Surveyor, J. B. Gregory.
1876-Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Clerk, A. B. Cole; Auditor, F. C. Gibbs; Treasurer, B. R. Miles; Recorder, W. H. Williams; Prosecuting Attorney, H. W. Farnham; Sheriff, Fred. Reiniger; Surveyor, J. B. Gregory.
1877-Probate Judge, A. C. Thompson; Clerk, A. B. Cole; Auditor, W. H. H. Cadot; Treasurer, B. R. Miles; Recorder, W. H. Williams; Prosecuting Attorney, H. W. Farnham; Sheriff, Fred. Reiniger; Surveyor, J. B. Gregory.
1878-Same as 1877, with the addition of Coroner, Henry Ribble.
1879-Probate Judge, H. C. Turkey; Clerk, Robert Bell; Auditor, W. H. H. Cadot; Treasurer, B. R. Miles; Recorder, W. H. Williams; Prosecuting Attorney, H. W. Farnham; Sheriff, T. J. Pursell; Surveyor, J. B. Gregory; Coroner, William Rasching.
1880-Probate Judge, H. C. Turkey; Clerk, Robert Bell; Auditor, G. L. Dodge; Treasurer, A. Boyer; Recorder, W. H. Williams; Prosecuting Attorney, N. J. Devers; Sheriff, T. J. Pursell; Surveyor, J. W. Smith; Coroner, William Rasching.
1881-Probate Judge-H. C. Turkey; Clerk, Robert Bell; Auditor, G. L. Dodge; Treasurer, A. Boyer; Recorder, W. H. Williams; Prosecuting Attorney, N. J. Devers; Sheriff, L. N. Lease; Surveyor, J. W. Smith; Coroner, William Rasching.
1882-Probate Judge, H. C. Turkey; Clerk, Robert Bell; Auditor, G. L. Dodge; Treasurer, A. Boyer; Recorder, Wesley Reddish; Prosecuting Attorney, N. J. Devers; Sheriff, A. J. Finney; Surveyor, J. W. Smith.