Harvey County is situated on the eastern line of the central belt of counties in the State, about seventy five miles north of the Indian territory, and about one hundred and ten miles south of the Nebraska State line, being only about thirty miles in a southeasterly direction from the geographical center of the State. It is bounded on the north by McPherson and Marion; east, Marion and Butler; south, Sedgwick, and on the west by Reno County. The county contains fifteen congressional townships, is thirty miles from east to west, eighteen from north to south, and ranks fourth in being one of the smallest counties in the state.1
Organized in 1872. County seat Newton. Named for James M. Harvey, Captain of Company G, Tenth Regiment of Kansas Infantry, and Governor of the State from 1869 to 1873.2
- 1. William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas
published in 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.
- 2. History of Kansas, Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)