Below is the table of contents for this book. The book deals with the development of the schools, from in-home to larger schools of Albany County. Many of the schools listed below were run out of the main house on a ranch, and reflect the names of the owners of the ranch. The chapters are broken down by district. Also included is an excerpt from the book to tell you what sort of data it contains.
Laramie, Red Buttes, Hutton Grove
Old Sherman, Dale City, Williams, Dale Creek, Buford, Braae, Sherman, Kinnamon, Pine Ridge, Pumpkin Vine, Farrell, Williams, Clark
Tie Siding, Boulder Ridge, Diamond Peak, Kingman-Mauk, Russell, Sand Creek, Trapper's Ridge, Goetz, Handen, Robinson, Burton, Pridemore, Point of Boulder
Sodergreen, Larsen, Popp-Harmony, Harmony, Brubaker, Wymore, Mason, Lakeside, Hunziker
Jelm, Woods Landing, Klouda, Montgomery, Cole
Fox Park, Alabny, Keystone, Buckeye, Strain, Boswell
Bath, Fillmore, Millbrook, Valley View, Big Hollow, Osterman, Pahlow Lane, Shedd, Strom
Sprague Lane, Seven Mile, Wolf, Bliler, Mead, Blackburn, Coen, Loyd, Alsop, Carroll, Steckelberg-Iiames, Walther, Perue, Sword, Oasis, Roadside, Iiames, King-Stevenson, Puls, Quealy Dome-Hunt
Radichal, Tom Moore, Innes, Cooper Lake, Fisher-Stumpf, Conwell, Lew Wallis, Peden, Fuhs, Farley-Ballard, Middle Creek or Ben Smith, Gillespie, Dusenbury, Hill, Knight, Bosler, John McGill, Dover, Sommers, Shaffer, Wayside, Taylor, Martens, Allen-Schune-Boyd, Doc Stevens-Ed Allen-Ennis, Adam Boyd, Bluegrass, Boyd, Lookout, Waechter-Richardson, Hall, Harry Payne, Leo Sheldon, Henderson, Edington, Jim Peden, Davis, Hay, Garlock, Berner, Berner-Smith, Plaga, Flaharty, Jewett, Johnson, Lucy, Greaser, Sybille or Garton, Brow
Eagle Rock, Leslie, Perue, McKechnie, Berner, Krueger
Rock River, Ambler, Cal Gillespie, Peterson, Franzen, John White, Fairview, Lincoln, Kansas Valley, Carlin, Gillespie at Rock Creek, Komo Ridge, Banzhaf
Frank Praeger Sr., Praeger-Garret, Tom Garrett, R. N. Garrett, Hall, Newkirk, Dunlap, Cow Creek, River Bridge, Jim Atkinson, George Atkinson, Winbourne, Estes, Smith, Bowie, Rob Sturgeon, Dovson, Donald Crerar, Brooks, River Canyon
Comstock, Cram, Davidson, Burke-Moser, Cassidy, Smith, Little Medicine, Hamilton, Lacy, Brown, Kamp, Burnett, Holaday
Atkinson, Patton, Bennett, Emerson, Jewell, Bridges, Bridges-Waring, Marshall, Curry-Meyer, Cameron, Eder, Bean Herzer, Robinson, Gore, Robinson-Gore, Mieck, Griffith, Ketchem, Robbins, Nickerson, Cole, Burke, Bitner, Marshall, Newell, Kafka, Matheson, Bone, Prager, Bell, Merle Atkinson, Ralph Hall, Antelope Creek, Tuttle
Bill Sturgeon, Wilson, David McFarlane, Stumbough, Ed Robinson, Pole Canyon, Hagerman, Luman Creek, Palmer, Scranton, Memmer, Shapley, Nash, Nash-Royce, Royce, Miller, Hall, Pleasant Valley, Pine Mountain, Paulson, Mylet, Palmer Canyon, Shamrock Ranch, Newkirk-Williamson, Dillon-Koons, Pickens, Douthitt, F. O. Gibbs, Brandle, Kennedy, Cozy Hollow, Hall-Swope-Brooks
Cottonwood Park-Parker, Fish Creek, Held, Starr, Robinson, Robinson-Hoffman, Hoffman, Hess-Rutherford, Binford, Rinker, Rutherford-Wallace, Pierson-Fawcett, Kissel, Williams, Ketchem, Harris Park, Bromley, Burney, Fletcher Park, Hanks, Cottonwood-North Fork, Pickerill, Cottonwood Park-Southfork, Ballard, Bovee, Wilson, Henderson, Rainbow's End, Parker, Riley, Clamp, Lidsey, Shoemaker, Double Four, Southfork, Cottonwood, Hall, Springhill, Mary Cooper, Esterbrook, Gray Rocks, Hamner, Shepard-Brose, Spracklin, Brase, Newell, Pexton-Dunn
Sample from the Book:
"Estes School By Jo Robbins
The Estes School apparently operated on a homestead on what is now called the Robinson. Records show a Helen J. Wells taught in 1931-1932.
Smith and Haagensen Schools by Jo Robbins
The Smith School, established in 1926-27 and continued through 1929, was a small, one-pupil school. Mrs. Essie Smith taught her own son "Butch", at their home on South Duck Creek while her husband worked as a blacksmith for the 2-Bar. The Haagensen School, located on the flats along the Fetterman road, was in session two years, 1933-1935, with Lewis W. Webber and Evelyn Lewis listed as teachers.
Bob Sturgeon School by Jo Robbins
Bob Sturgeon was one of William Sturgeon's children, of which there were also George, Sid, and Cecilia (Wilson). Bob Sturgeon started the school in 1903 or 1904 at the Owen Post Office and his first teacher was Suzie Lewis. They only had school for one month that first year. Don't know who the other students might have been. Owen was located on the Frank Banner Ranch on Owen Creek, north of the Cuba ranch, on the road to Van Ortwick Hill. It was near what was then called Owen Peak..""The second year Bob went to school, the school was moved between the William Sturgeon place and the McFarland ranch. The third year, Olive Garrett (Kafka) taught the school and lived with the Frank Banners, who was her uncle. This meant a two mile walk to school. She was probably 16 at the time. Others who taught the Owen School were Ellen (Mandy) Prager, Helen McGill (Yarborough), Mae McGrew (Red Carlisle), Minnie (Mrs. Charlie) Wagner, and Emma Lamb. Frank and Ed Rae families went to school there too.
In 1924, Bob married Julia Prager. Their son Bobby was born in 1931 and started school in 1937 with an aunt, Mrs. Harry (Leona) Prager, as his first grade teacher..."
[Back To Top]
[Back To Lookups]