logo
Smith County
Cemetery Photographs

Walnut Grove Cemetery
Walnut Grove Community, Texas
Latitude: N 32:10:44.2
Longitude: W 095:13:52.4
From Tyler take Hwy 110 south through Whitehouse. South of Whitehouse, turn right (west) onto FM 344. The cemetery is about 2 miles on the right (north) side of the road.
On September 30, 1903 Mr. & Mrs. Charles Canton donated 2 acres of land to the Walnut Grove Community. Later that year (1903) Robert Shackelford was being taken to Gandy Mountain for burial over bad roads. When the party reached Walnut Grove, the road was impassable & they were forced to bury the 88 year- old Mr. Shackelford there, starting the cemetery. His is the first grave, and unmarked.



Contact Gina Heffernan for help with this page.

Copyright © 1997-present   USGenWeb Project Archives