Westmoreland County, PA
St. Johns Union Cemetery
a.k.a. - St. John Lutheran and Reformed-Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
a.k.a. - Kintigh's Cemetery
a.k.a. - Kindig's Cemetery
Mt. Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County, PA
A Project of Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives
Copyright Information Pennsylvania Tombstone Project
Tombstone Photography Tips Photo Submission Form
this page was last updated 04 Nov 2011
(photos contributed by Jacque Boyd)
DIRECTIONS TO CEMETERY: From Mt. Pleasant, travel north on Rt 981 to the Middle Presbyterian Church.
Taken from Westmoreland County Historical Society Cemetery Index: "There were Lutheran and Reformed church members in Mt. PLeasant as early as the 1770's. There being no church there, the majority of them probably attended services at St. Paul's churches near Trauger. As communities in the area developed, a number of members began holding services in homes. One site was the barn of Daniel Kindig. A church was eventually erected thereby. It was originally a Lutheran-Reformed Union congregation, and was commonly called "Kindig's Church". Being located midway between Harrolds, Brush Creek and the Greensburg churches of the North and the Ligonier, Donegal and East Huntingdon churches to the south and east, the church, along with the nearby Presbyterian churches became known as the "middle churches".
In  the Reformed members formed a separate congregation under Rev. William Weinel. Two years later the Lutherans, led by Pastor Jonas Mechling, also formed their own congregation. By 1861, both congregations were known as St. John's. There is a burial grounds located at the site of the early church."
printer friendly text transcription of Tombstone Photos
Return to Top of File
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager Joe Patterson
Tombstone Photos maintained by Ellis Michaels
Copyright 2007 - 2009. All rights reserved.
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives - Tombstone Photos
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives - Cemetery Records
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives