Westmoreland County, PA

Old Ligonier Cemetery

Ligonier Borough, Ligonier Township, Westmoreland County, PA

(partial survey)

A Project of Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives

Copyright Information     Pennsylvania Tombstone Project

Tombstone Photography Tips     Photo Submission Form

this page was last updated 04 Nov 2011

General Views 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

(photos contributed by Jacque Boyd)


     DIRECTIONS TO CEMETERY:  Cemetery is located one block north of the "Diamond" on Market Street.  Bounded by Market Street, St. Clair Street, Church Street, and an alley.  It adjoins the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches.


     Taken from the Westmoreland County Historical Society Cemetery Index: "When John Ramsey laid out the town of Ligonier in 1817 he set aside a plot of land for a "Church and Academy".  The first Presbyterian Church was erected there about 1820.  Burial were made in the adjoining cemetery as early as 1810.  The cemetery served the community until 1890 when the Borough Council prohibited further interments.  When the present Presbyterian Church was built around the turn of the twentieth century the bodies were removed and reinterred in Ligonier Valley Cemetery.


Tombstone Images

(partial survey)

printer friendly text transcription of Tombstone Photos

Ambrose, Henry, d. 27 Jan 1843?, aged 70Y, (contributed by Jacque Boyd)

Ambrose, Sarah, w/o Wm., d. 25 Jan 1873, aged 69Y 8M 7D, (contributed by Jacque Boyd)

Ambrose, Susanna, d. 22 Nov 1843, aged 75Y 10M 14D, (contributed by Jacque Boyd)

Ambrose, Wm., d. 29 Jan 1868, aged 61Y 3M 5D, (contributed by Jacque Boyd)

Ambrose, Mary?, d. 30 Apr 1843, aged 9Y 2M 2D, (contributed by Jacque Boyd)


Return to Top of File

Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager Joe Patterson

Tombstone Photos maintained by Ellis Michaels

Copyright 2007 - 2009.  All rights reserved.

Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives - Tombstone Photos

Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives - Cemetery Records

Westmoreland County PAGenWeb  Archives