Westmoreland County, PA
Fairmont United Presbyterian Cemetery
a.k.a. - Donegal Associate Presbyterian Cemetery
a.k.a. - Donegal United Presbyterian
Cook Township, Westmoreland County, PA
A Project of Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives
Copyright Information Pennsylvania Tombstone Project
Tombstone Photography Tips Photo Submission Form
this page was last updated 04 Nov 2011
(contributed by Jacque Boyd)
DIRECTIONS TO CEMETERY: From Rt. 30 in Ligonier, take SR 711 south for about 6.5 miles. Turn right onto SR 2033, and drive 0.1 mile to cemetery on right, adjoining Fairmont United Presbyterian Church.
Taken from the Westmoreland County Historical Society Cemetery Index: As early as 1762 Presbyterians living in the area requested someone to preach While this request went unheeded, by 1774 Rev. Smith was chose as first minister of the congregation. He was one of four circuit riders traveling and preaching at the time. From 1775 thru 1801 supply ministers served the congregation. After a number of years of uncertainty as to the ministry, with various men serving, Rev. Joseph Scroggs became Pastor in 1815 and served until 1872. During the ministry of Rev. Scroggs the original log building used as a church was replaced by a new one at the same site.
After the death of Dr. Scroggs the congregation was served by supply ministers until 1886 when Dr. George Vincent became Pastor. It was during his ministry that the name of the church was changed from Donegal to Fairmont. The cemetery is located at the rear of the church.
printer friendly text transcription of Tombstone Photos
Return to Top of File
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager Joe Patterson
Tombstone Photos maintained by Ellis Michaels
Copyright 2007 - 2009. All rights reserved.
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives - Tombstone Photos
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives - Cemetery Records
Westmoreland County PAGenWeb Archives