Washington County, PA
Bethlehem Lutheran Cemetery
21 Church Rd
Scenery Hill, North Bethlehem Township, Washington County, PA 15360-1102
A Project of Washington County PAGenWeb Archives
Copyright Information Pennsylvania Tombstone Project
Tombstone Photography Tips Photo Submission Form
this page was last updated 8 March 2011
(contributed by Gary L. Caldwell)
Lat: 40° 6'47.73"N, 80° 8'35.84"W
According to the Bethlehem Lutheran Chuch website, the original church and cemetery was founded on October 30, 1791. The Rev. Johannes Stauch presided at the organization of the Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church making it the first Lutheran congregation in Washington County. German settlers chose a hilltop where the cemetery had been deeded in 1788, and thus began a long heritage for an area once know as Dutch Glory.
The present structure (which is adacent to the original cemetery) was dedicated on July 14, 1907. The pipe organ moved from the original church was a gift from Andrew Carnegie.
The church cemetery is located on the site of the first church and is adjacent to the current church building. Many of the headstones which are inscribed in German date from the early 1800s.
Gary L. Caldwell)
printer friendly text version of Tombstone Transcriptions
Return to Top of File
Washington County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager Gary L. Caldwell
Tombstone Photos Page maintained by Gary L. Caldwell
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
Washington County PAGenWeb Archives
Washington County PAGenWeb Archives Tombstone Photos
Washington County PAGenWeb Archives Cemetery Records