Grubb's Cemetery

aka

The Michael Krause Grave Site

 

Lower Fredrick Twp., Montgomery County, Pa.

 

Contributed by

Phillip Smith

 

 

 

 

The Michael Krause (1750-1807) grave site lies on the property of the Perkiomen Valley School District, Lower Fredrick Township. It is found within a section of the property between two former fields. The Perkiomen Valley School District has entered a preservation project with the Women's Civic Association of Schwenksville to preserve this cemetery.  In addition, the Perkiomen Valley School District under the direction of Mrs. Kim Minor, Coordinator of Social Studies (3 Iron Bridge Drive, Collegeville, PA 19426), maintains a file of the grave site’s history and significance. In August of 2003 the grave site was registered with the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission as Archeological Site: #36MC391.



Michael Krause’s Headstone Inscription:

Hier
Ruhet der Leib
des versterbenen
MICHAEL KRAUSZ
Er wurde gebohren den 29ten
tag August in Jahr
1750
and starb den 9ten Janius
1807
seines alters 56 Jahren 10
Monaten und 11 Tagen


A footstone bears the letters “M.K.” and is no longer affixed to the ground.

 

The Veteran’s Administration calls this burial place, “Grubb’s Cemetery”, according to the files of the Historic Society of Montgomery County’s, "Small/Family Cemeteries File", Volume #2, page 21k.

The Historical Society of Montgomery County’s cites Michael Krause (spelled Crouse) as a member of the Frederick Township Militia, under Capt. Henry Boyer in the later part of the Revolutionary War. It has been documented that Michael Krause (spelled, Michael Crows) paid fines not to serve in 1777-78 under Capt. Michael Dotterer, Frederick Township Militia, in the early years of the Revolutionary War.



 

Return to Top of Page

 

Montgomery County Archives Tombstone Photos

Montgomery County PA USGenWeb Archives

USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project: Pennsylvania Registry

 

Copyright 2006

 

This page is maintained by

Abby Bowman and was last updated on 03/05/2006

 

Background:  The Inspiration Gallery