[p. 611] one of New Wilmington's most respected and esteemed residents, occupies a beautiful, commodious residence, which is situated near the center of the town. Mrs. Poppino has been a resident of New Wilmington since 1856, but she was born in Venango County, Pennsylvania.
The parents of Mrs. Poppino were Benjamin and Maria (Agnew) Junkin. Her father was a distinguished jurist in Venango County and served as associate judge. She is the third from youngest daughter in a family of nine children—three girls and six boys—and five of her brothers served in the Civil War. She is identified through her mother's family with those noted Confederate officers, during the Civil War, Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Colonel Preston.
In 1856 Mary E. Junkin was united in marriage with Dr. Seth Poppino, who was a graduate of the Cleveland Medical College and who was engaged in practice at New Wilmington until his death. They were the parents of six children, namely: Sarah L., deceased; Anna Mary, who resides with her mother; Hattie, deceased, who is survived by her husband, Prof. Alexander McClelland (they had one child, Louis, now deceased); Martha P., who married Rev. J. H. Spencer, and has three children—Warren P., James H. and Donald A.; and Charles W. and James J., both of whom are deceased.
Mrs. Poppino owns two valuable farms, one of these being situated on the Bend Road in Mercer County, about one mile north of New Wilmington, and the other, containing thirty-three acres, also in Mercer County, adjoining New Wilmington. Mrs. Poppino is an active and valued member of the First United Presbyterian Church and has been an active member of the W.C.T.U. since its organization. She is noted for her many charities and for her interest in many of the city's benevolent enterprises.
20th Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens Hon. Aaron L. Hazen Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1908
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 15 Nov 2001