[p. 478] owner of 135 acres of land located about one and a half miles south of Mt. Jackson, on the Galilee Road, comes of one of the oldest families of North Beaver Township. He was born on his present farm February 15, 1841, and is a son of James and Nancy (Douglas) Patterson.
John Patterson, grandfather of George D., was born in Maryland, and in 1800 came west to Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, locating on the farm now owned by George D. Patterson. There he lived as they did in those pioneer days, converting the wild timberland into a tillable farm. He lived there until his death.
James Patterson was born on the home farm in North Beaver Township, in 1817, and attended the primitive log school-house of that period. He also resided on that farm and was one of the foremost citizens of the township. He married Nancy Douglas, and they became parents of ten children, of whom eight grew to maturity, as follows: George D.; John J., who lives in Iowa; Mary, wife of Robert Henderson of New Castle; Grizzell M., who keeps house for her brother, George D.; Lizzie, widow of John Wallace; N. Olivia, who also lives on the home place; James C., who is in the meat business at West Pittsburg, Pa., and Maggie, wife of Hugh Kyle, of North Beaver Township. Erie Willa and Charles D. died young. Mr. Patterson died in 1890, aged seventy-three years, and his wife died June 8, 1895, aged seventy-four years.
George D. Patterson was reared on the home place and received such education as the public schools afforded. He has always followed farming and takes rank among the progressive and public-spirited men of the community. He is unmarried. The family are members of the Bethel United Presbyterian Church.
20th Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens Hon. Aaron L. Hazen Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1908
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 27 Oct 2001