Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives


Centennial History

of Methodism

in Clearfield, PA


1810 - 1910

George W. Rheem


Chapter 7


transcribed for the Clearfield County PA USGenWeb by

Ellis Michaels



This page was last updated on 23 Apr 2011

Contribute Your Research


printer friendly version of this project






Page 131



  And now we come to the last and greatest enterprise of our temporal Church life, namely the erection of our present Church and parsonage buildings on the northwest corner of Second and Walnut Streets. The brick Church having stood on part of this same ground for over thirty-five years, had well served its day. The idea of building a new Church originated during the pastorate of Rev. A. S. Baldwin, by some informal talk of that kind.

  Nothing definite was done until some very thoughtful friend of the Church, whose name is known only to the president of the board of trustees, Thos. H. Murray, to whom he made the proposition, that if we would build a modern, up-to-date Church in Clearfield, he would give us $5,000 in cash toward it and would also be a subscriber on the general subscription list, and having already on hand the bequest of Mrs. Mary Ellen Patterson, of all her estate, $4,850.84, and to this was added afterward the bequest of Capt. David McGaughey, of $2,000, and also of Mrs. Mary Jane Read, she making the Church a residuary legatee, under the will, the trustees having already received $2,484.17, a balance in the hands of the executors. There is a house and lot also on the west side, worth probably $1,000, the revenue of which goes to Newton L. Reed, during his life time and at his death will go to the Church. Mrs. T. E. Watson also left by her will $300 over and above her subscription of $200, and this seemed to indicate that there was no reason why we might





Page 132


not consider his proposition favorably. With this object in view a congregational meeting was called for August 4th, 1902, at which there was a good attendance, and the object of the meeting being stated by Dr. Foster. J. B. Nevling was elected secretary. A motion was made by Geo. W. Rheem and seconded by H. B. Powell for the adoption of the following resolution, "Resolved, that it is the sense of this meeting that the time has come to build a new Church."

  Geo. W. Rheem made some remarks favoring the project, and showing the possibilities to be much more favorable than they were when we undertook the same thing in 1867.

  H. B. Powell said the surroundings were of the kind to encourage the undertaking, but would require the help of all concerned and without any debate the motion being called for, it was laid before the congregation and unanimously carried.

  An architectural drawing, showing a proposed plan, was submitted by W. 0. Weaver & Son, architects from• Harrisburg, which might be adopted or rejected, stating that such a building could be completed for $37,000, built of stone, but not to include any windows, nor furniture, nor organ, and these would approximate $9,000. J. Boynton Nevling moved that nothing should be done until three-fourths of the required amount necessary to build should be pledged, this to include all available money on hand.

  Mr. Weaver assured us that if we could not get a contractor here for $37,000 he would guarantee us a man that would contract at that price.

  The adoption of a plan was held for further consideration. August 25th, 1902, at a trustee meeting, the following persons were named to solicit subscriptions: Geo.





Page 133


W. Rheem, chairman, H. B. Powell, Ai F. Boynton, J. B. Nevling, Jos. E. Gearhart and A. Marwick and the chairman was authorized to add others to the committee if necessary. December 23rd, 1902, at a trustee meeting, the president, Thos. H. Murray was authorized to acknowledge to Mrs. David McGaughey, the receipt of the $2,000 willed to the trustees with the thanks of the board for this great kindness on the part of her husband, Capt. David McGaughey.

  December 29th, 1902, at a meeting of the congregation, the trustees reported that they had secured three-fourths of the amount ordered at a previous meeting, and also submitted a change in the plans for locating the organ from behind the pulpit to the corner and advocating the auditorium to be made sufficiently large to seat 700 persons. The plan submitted by the trustees was adopted with the changes suggested.

  January 5th, 1903, trustees appointed a committee to advise with W. 0. Weaver in regard to changes suggested and if satisfactory to accept the plans and employ W. 0. Weaver and Son, of 14 South Market Square, Harrisburg, to superintend the erection of the Church and to proceed at once. The committee consisted of Geo. W. Rheem, H. B. Powell and Ashley Thorn, and on January 6th, said committee met Mr. W. 0. Weaver and everything being satisfactory, they agreed to employ him as architect and superintendent.

  The building. committee appointed at the second Quarterly Conference consisting of Ai F. Boynton, H. B. Powell, Jos. E. Gearhart, Asbury W. Lee, Thos. H. Murray A. B. Shaw and Geo. W. Rheem met at the home of Ai F. Boynton, February 25th, 1903, and an organization was made as follows: Chairman, Ai F. Boynton,





Page 134


Harry B. Powell, treasurer and Geo. W. Rheem was subsequently elected secretary. Jos. E. Gearhart asked co be excused from acting on account of his being so frequently away from home and Ashley Thorn was recommended to the next Quarterly Conference to take his place.

  February 14th, 1903, in his 63rd year, after a long illness, Bro. Daniel W. McCurdy passed away. His life was of such a prominent nature in our Church, that simply a passing notice of it would be unwarranted. He came to Clearfield in the year 1862 and engaged in teaching in the Clearfield Academy for two years. He entered the law office of Jos. B. McEnally and after the usual length of time required for preparation was admitted to the bar at Clearfield in 1868, for the practice of his profession. He connected himself with the Clearfield Methodist Episcopal Church, by certificate soon after his arrival in Clearfield. He was elected as a teacher in the Sunday School, which place he filled acceptably, and in 1874, without consulting him, he was elected to the office of superintendent of the school, which action he considered very unwise, and was almost on the point of a positive refusal to accept the position because of doubts of his own capacity for the place, but being persistently urged by his closest friends to accept, he finally consented, and it was but a short time until the school found they had not made any. mistake. He fell in love with the work, and his earnestness in it was so appreciated that he was elected to the office of superintendent for 27 years. He had been the recording steward for 34 years, and his books are a pattern of neatness. He was also treasurer of the Church for 29 years, in which he was so exacting as never to allow any balances to be carried over from one year to another. In the spiritual work of the Church he was





Page 135


always in the lead, revival work was his delight. As long as his health permitted, he was anxious about the building of the new Church and it would have been a pleasure to us if he could have lived to have joined with us in its dedication. The funeral services were conducted by Dr. Foster in the auditorium of the Church, February 18th, a large congregation being present.

  W. 0. Weaver & Son were evidently mistaken in their estimate of $37,000 for the erection of the Church, for on April 9th they submitted a proposal to change some very important parts in the building and substitute cheaper material in place and the estimate then submitted was $45,800. This was considered very unsatisfactory by the trustees. Bids had been solicited from other builders and were received, and are as follows: W. 0. Weaver again put in one for $54,390.70; the Murray Lumber Company, of Philipsburg, $61,496.23; the Vipond Construction Company, of Altoona, $58,949, and Reuben H. Thompson, of Clearfield, $53,300. The bids were all considered too high and were returned to the bidders.

  A fourth proposition was made by W. 0. Weaver & Son for $48,500, cutting out all tile work and marble steps, all stone work to he native stone, except the trimmings on the front to be of Cleveland stone. A resolution was then adopted, May 8th, to settle with W. 0. Weaver & Son and pay them $1,000 for their services thus far and they to furnish all working plans and details which would enable any builder to erect and complete the Church, which proposition they accepted and we were just where we commenced.

  May 25th another congregational meeting was called to receive another proposition from R. H. Thompson to build the church all of native stone in accordance with plans





Page 136


for $49,000, or by omitting all finish in the auditorium and cutting out the heating plant for $44,660. This not being considered satisfactory, was rejected. Everything stood still until October 31st, when the Secretary of the Trustees was instructed to solicit other bids and January 7th, 1904, the following bids were opened: W. H. Kinnell, Washington City, $75,857 by specifications, or brownstone $73,341, or Port Deposit stone $76,546; Bennett & Woodring, Williamsport, $63,300; J. D. Snoke & Son, $57,146; R. H. Thompson, not including heating plant, $45,000.

  January 25th, 1904, J. D. Snoke & Son put in a supplemental bid of all native stone, not including concrete in the cellar nor the ventilation of the Church, of $52,690.

  R. H. Thompson proposed to add to his bid $1,000 to include a heating plant for $46,000.

  This was submitted to a congregational meeting February 1st, 1904, and was accepted by them and contract was entered into by the Trustees with R. H. Thompson for the same. This now ended all preliminaries and the work was to be commenced at as early a date as possible in the year.

  Another matter of great importance was taken up at a congregational meeting March 14th, 1904, and it was to consider the purchase of the corner lot owned by Mr. A. R. Powell, and H. B. Powell moved, and A. Harwick seconded, that we sell the parsonage at a price that would be satisfactory and buy the corner lot at a fair price. It was stated by Geo. W. Rheem that an offer had been made of $9,000 for the parsonage and it was left with the Trustees.

  April 16th Mr. A. R. Powell set the lowest price of his lot at $11,500, and the Trustees accepted the same, and on April 18th purchase was made and lot paid for.





Page 137



  The subject of this sketch was born in Clearfield, June 5th, 1843, and made it his home all his life, and was well known and highly respected. He formed the acquaintance of Miss Emma Showers while he was in attendance as a student at Williamsport Dickinson Seminary, and after his graduation they were married, June 3d, 1863. They at once went to housekeeping on the corner of Walnut and Third streets, and in after years built a fine home on North Second street, which home they occupied for many years, until the time of his death, which occurred January 19th, 1904. Their family of three children, Mary, Harry and Fitch, all died in young life. His social relations in this community were of the highest order and he was one of our foremost citizens in public enterprises. His relationship and connection with the Clearfield Methodist Episcopal Church occurred very soon after his married life, and it is here where we miss him the most.

  Quiet and unassuming as he was in life, did not deter him from keeping in close touch with the Church in all her interests, both spiritual and temporal. His regular contributions to the Church were of course known, but his extraordinary benefactions were known only to himself and wife. His death occurring at the time it did, just as we were laying plans for the erection of the present Church, was keenly felt by us as an official body, because of his great interest in having good plans for its construction, and he was instrumental in securing good subscriptions for its erection. And if it could have been possible, it would have been a great pleasure, as well as a great benefit, to us to have had his life spared to work with





Page 138


us to its completion. He left his wife to mourn his death, and her affection for him is shown especially in the Church building, by placing for his memory a splendid memorial window, as well as three smaller ones, one for each child, on the east side of our Church, and they are reminders to us of his faithfulness and efficiency whilst he was spared to associate with us.

  The Opera House hall on third floor was secured at a rental of $50 per month from the Opera House Company, they to furnish heat but not light, to hold all services. The old Church was torn down and excavations for the new Church were made in April, 1904, and the building was commenced soon thereafter. In the course of construction there were necessarily some changes made and these were all carefully considered by the Building Committee and Trustees, and the cornerstone was laid August 13th, 1904, under the direction of Dr. Foster. The ceremony was preceded by suitable services on the floor of the building, at which Rev. W. A. Stephens led in prayer; Rev. W. A. Chase, of the Baptist Church, read the Scripture lesson ; Rev. D. B. Treibly, of the Lutheran Church, also read a Scripture selection; Rev. Benj. H. Mosser, of the Curwensville Methodist Episcopal Church, delivered the principal address, and the Presiding Elder, J. Ellis Bell, made remarks appropriate to the occasion. The audience was asked as far as possible for contributions of $1.00 each, and over one hundred promptly responded. The cornerstone was then prepared with appropriate ceremonies and the following articles, enclosed in a strongly sealed copper box, were placed in the stone: One Bible, 1 Hymnal, 1 Epworth Hymnal, 1 Sunday School Classmate, 1 Child's Paper, 1 Centennial History of





Page 139


Clearfield County, 1 Soldiers' Centennial Badge, 1 Pioneer Centennial Badge, 1 Centenary Sunday School Medal, 1866, 1 Seven-dollar Note issued by Continental Congress, May 9th, 1776, 1 Fifty-cent Fractional Currency issued by the United States Government during the Civil War, 1861-1865, 1 "Brief History of Methodism in Clearfield County from 1810," 1 copy Raftsmen's Journal, 1 copy Clearfield Republican, 1 copy Monitor, 1 copy each Public Spirit, daily and weekly, 1 Photograph 1868 Church, 1 Photograph Sunday School Room, 1 Photograph of Present Church, 1 Art Copy Manotowonac Seating Co., 1 Photograph each of Jonathan Boynton, J. B. McEnally and Geo. W. Rheem (these three persons held official relations in all three Churches), 1 Photograph of Rev. M. K. Foster, pastor, 1 Photograph of Rev. J. McKendree Reiley, assistant pastor, 1 Photograph of Thos. H. Murray, Court House and County Officials, Statements of Clearfield National and County National Banks, Clearfield Trust Company, Officers Steam and Water Company, Borough Officers and Committees, Pencil Sketch of First Church on Cherry Street, Names of Women's Foreign Missionary Society, 1 Christian Advocate, 1 copy of Conference Minutes 104, 1 copy Discipline of Church, Twenty-five-cent Fractional Currency.

  The Trustees sold the parsonage to John Dimeling for $9,300.

  The Church had been contracted for to be finished by R. H. Thompson, contractor, by March 1st, 1905, but in the course of construction there were a great many unavoidable delays, such as failure of materials being delivered on time by firms furnishing foreign supplies and the unsettled condition of the labor element, thereby pre-





Page 140


venting the employment of a sufficient number of workmen. These causes delayed the completion of the building and it was not finally completed until December, 1905. In all its construction no fatalities happened to any of the workmen and only one injury to the workmen in the dislocation of the shoulder of the superintendent, Mr. McNamara.

  The only accident was the giving way of a rafter in the raising of the large framework for the door between the auditorium and the lecture room, involving only a money loss to the contractor.

  A committee consisting of W. E. Wallace, Miss Maud Powell, A. H. Woodward and Geo. W. Rheem was appointed to take in charge the selection and purchase of an organ. They attended to that duty and after close investigation of several organs, they reported to the Trustees the M. P. Moller organ, made in Hagerstown, Md., as being the one, in their judgment, as best suited and the price to be $4,000, and the Trustees accepted the report and authorized the Secretary, Geo. W. Rheem, to enter into a contract with that company to erect such an organ, completed by August 1st, 1905.

  The building of the Church will be of interest to persons in later years, and we give a short history of it. The work of excavating the cellar was commenced in April, 1904, and the extreme dimensions of foundation walls are on front on Second street, including the lobby, 125 feet, and on Walnut street 154 feet. The main building in the auditorium inside measure is 74 feet from pulpit wall to front door, and 76 feet in width. The side walls are octagonal and from each octagon at the square of the walls there are arches or ribs running up the heavily arched ceiling, centering at the dome at a height of 52





Page 141


feet from the floor below. On each rib there are 24 electric lights and in the circle at the dome there are 48 electric lights and on the side walls 36 electric lights. There are 136 circular, quartered oak pews, placed by the American School Furniture Company, of Pittsburg, Pa., with a seating capacity of 650.

  A large pipe organ at the right of the pulpit, costing $4,000, one-half of which was the gift of Andrew Carnegie, of Pittsburg, and the other half paid by the Ladies' Aid Societies; heavy quartered oak altar rail and table and pulpit furniture. The floor is covered with extra heavy Wilton carpet, dark green in color. Mr. D. W. McCurdy's family placed a beautiful bronze tablet in his memory on the northeast octagon wall, with this inscription:

To the glory of God
And in loving remembrance of
Daniel W. McCurdy,
Sunday School Superintendent, 27 years
Recording Steward, 34 years
Treasurer of the Church, 39 years
I love Thy Church, 0 God,
Her walls before Thee stand
Dear as the apple of Thine eye
And graven on Thy hands.

  Rev. Elbert V. Brown, who entered the ministry from this Church in the year Iwo, donated the beautiful Bible and Hymnal for the pulpit.

  Mrs. Walter C. Stephens placed one dozen fine leather-backed hymnals for the use of the choir

  The art glass windows add very greatly to the beauty of the Church. The large window facing Second street and the three smaller ones below were placed by Mrs. A. F. Boynton as a memorial to her husband, Ai. F. Boynton and her three children, Mary, Harry and Fitch.





Page 142


The window over the pulpit was placed by A. B. Shaw in memory of his wife, Mary A. Shaw, and that on Walnut street was placed by Mrs. W. H. Dill and Mrs. A. E. Patton in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Boynton.

  A fine marble baptismal font stands inside the altar rail, placed there by Thos. H. Murray and family as a memorial to Mrs. Thos. H. Murray. A fine art window in the library room was placed for Geo. W. Rheem by the members of his Sunday School class.

  The lecture room, on Walnut street, connects with the auditorium by the hoisting of a large door between the rooms. This room is 45 by 48 feet and around the north and west walls there are seven class rooms on the first floor and seven in connection with the gallery on the second floor. Adjoining the lecture room, on Walnut street, the primary room is located and is 30 by 30 feet. Immediately over the primary room is a ladies' parlor, 30 by 30. All of these rooms are seated with chairs and carpeted with good tapestry carpets. On the Walnut street entrance is the library room, with a fine case with a capacity for 600 books. The entrances to the Church are by the tower on two sides through a beautifully arched lobby 14 feet wide along the Walnut street side, and on the front by vestibules at each corner of the Church, with finely tiled floors and marble steps. And into the lecture room by a door at the end of the long lobby and a door on Walnut street. The lecture room and class rooms are lighted by 130 electric and gas lights and main room by 316 electric lights. The entire building is built of native stone, the majority of which was quarried in the mountain north of town and some from the quarries at Curwensville. Except the principal arches on lobby and tower, which are from Cleveland sand-





Page 143


stone, the stone work is rock faced with even points. The walls are not in straight lines, but are broken by projections to suit certain parts of the interior, such as the organ loft, bay in primary room and towers at corners. The principal tower is on the corner of Second and Walnut streets and is the main entrance to lobby on two sides; it is 20 feet square at the base and is supported by massive pilasters and arches and is 128 feet high to point of spire. The apex of the roof is surmounted by a large dome which forms a skylight for the auditorium.

The whole cost of the Church up until the dedication was       $70,696.75
To which add cost of parsonage,                                           6,484.60
And it is                                                                         $77,181.35

Since then there have been additions for sheds and fences,
outside improvements of lawns and roof repairs reaching nearly 1,000.00

Making a total cost of Church and parsonage,                      $78,181.35

The seating of the Church and pulpit furniture was done
by the American School Furniture Company, of Pittsburg, costing $1,795.00
The carpeting was done by Ferguson & Rosser,                        2,000.00
The art glass work was done by Rudy, of Pittsburg,                  5,840.00
The frescoing was done by Mr. Wise, of Tyrone,                        375.00






Page 144


  The Church being completed and in preparation for its dedication, January 7th, 1906, was determined on as the time, and it being the thirty-fifth anniversary of the dedication of the old Church, which Chaplain McCabe dedicated, it was thought advisable to secure his service, now as a Bishop, for the dedication of this one, and in accordance with that thought Dr. Foster entered into communication with him and secured his services for the dedication, and also had the assurance that Dr.. J. M. Buckley, editor of the Christian Advocate, would be present.

  The 7th arriving, the new Church was opened for service Sunday morning at 10.30. The new organ was presided over by Mrs. Arthurs, of Williamsport, supported by a large choir under the direction of A. H. Woodward, and they opened the services by singing an anthem. The opening hymn, No. 666, was announced by Bishop McCabe; prayer by Rev. Dr. G. D. Penepacker, of Philipsburg; Scripture lessons by the Presiding Elder, Rev. J. Ellis Bell, and Rev. Dr. M. K. Foster. Hymn 334, "My Faith Looks Up to Thee," was announced and the whole congregation joined in the singing. The sermon was by Bishop McCabe, from the text Exodus 25th chapter, 8th verse, "Let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them."

  After the sermon the Bishop made the statement that the cost of the Church was $78,000, and that $30,000 was needed to liquidate the debt, and in his usual spirited way he presented the matter to the congregation and at the close of the services a little over $16,000 had been pledged. In the afternoon at 3 o'clock a Sunday School rally was held and short addresses were delivered by Revs. Geo. Leidy, John A. Mattern, R. Runyan and





Page 145


Bishop McCabe. The Bishop then asked the Superintendent, Walter C. Stephens, how much the Sunday School was willing to give toward the debt. He said they could give $2,000, and in a short time $2,090 were pledged to be paid in three years. In the evening the auditorium and lecture room were filled, and after the organ voluntary the hymn, 315, "Nearer, My God, to Thee," was sung. Rev. Geo. Leidy led in prayer; anthem by the choir; hymn No. 433, "Jesus, Lover of My Soul," was sung; then Dr. J. M. Buckley announced his text, Matthew 24th chapter, 35th verse, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my word shall not pass away."

  After the sermon the effort at the collection was then resumed and in closing up it was found that $24,143 had been pledged during the day, leaving about $6,000 to be provided for. The question of dedicating or postponing it until all the money required was pledged was submitted to the Trustees, and their decision was to postpone to a future time, until the $6,000 were provided for.

  The day was a beautiful one, clear and bright, and not excessively cold, and the whole day's services were interesting and profitable and of good cheer to the Methodists and friends of Clearfield.

  January 23d, 1906, the Trustees met in the Church after preaching. Present: J. E. Gearhart, Ashley Thorn, H. B. Powell, Allen Wrigley and Geo. W. Rheem. The Secretary announced the death of Wm. S. Taylor, December 24th, a member of the Board, and that the Trustees must fill the vacancy. Geo. W. Rheem moved, and seconded by Ashley Thorn, that F. G. Harris be elected to fill the vacancy and it was so ordered. Wm. S. Taylor was a devoted Christian, a member of the Board of Trustees, a faithful attendant of Thos. H. Murray's





Page 146


Sunday School class, and his life illustrated that of a faithful servant of the Lord Jesus Christ.

  March 18th, 1906, was chosen for the final effort to provide for the balance of the debt and to dedicate the Church. The services opened by the rendering of a very fine organ prelude by the organist, Miss Maud Powell.

  The 32d hymn, "When Morning Gilds the Skies," was then sung, and Dr. Foster led in a most earnest prayer. A fine anthem was then sung by the choir. The preacher of the morning was Rev. W. Perry Eveland, President of Dickinson Seminary, at Williamsport, Pa. He announced his text from Ephesians 3rd chapter and 14th verse, "For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." Following the sermon came the appeal to the congregation to help again financially. The statement was made that since January 7th, there had been subscribed $3,500, leaving only $2,500 to secure. The people responded to the appeal and $1,600 were subscribed, leaving $900 to be raised in the evening. At 7.30 P. M., the dedicatory services were held. The 2d hymn was sung and Dr. W. A. Stephens offered prayer. The choir then sang a fine anthem.

  The sermon was by Dr. Eveland again, from Ecclesiastes 12th chapter and 7th verse. Then came the final effort of the day, and in less than half an hour $900 were subscribed and the congregation joined in singing "Praise God from Whom all blessings flow."

  Then the dedicatory service was held and the Trustees assembled at the altar and Thos. H. Murray, President of the Board, on behalf of the Trustees, presented the Church to the congregation for the service of Almighty God.

  Dr. Foster, who has been the pastor of this Church for





Page 147


the past six years, and who has worked so hard and faithfully in the building of this and the Eleventh Street Church, deserves to be congratulated on the great success of his efforts. The Trustees and members and friends of. the Church who rallied so nobly to his effort in this great work, also deserve credit. This day may truly be said to have been a most memorable day in the history of Clearfield Methodism and this most magnificent temple is not only a great credit to the congregation, but to our city as well, and it is our earnest wish that it may be blessed of God for many years to come and be a means of salvation to multitudes of souls.

  The pastorate of Rev. Morris E. Swartz commenced with the Conference year of 1906, and whilst nothing special has been done that would make history, the work of the Church under the pastoral care of Bro. Swartz has been carefully watched and nothing has been left undone for the welfare of the Church in all its appointments. We have had a very pleasant and profitable year, without any discords or happenings to cause any dissensions in our Church, and our splendid Church home is a great pleasure and comfort to all.

  But there are sad things that are unavoidable that have broken in on our enjoyments and the sudden death of our sister, Mrs. Thos. H. Murray, was of this kind, August 7th. Her interest in the various organizations of our Church was shown by the attention she gave to each one as her health would permit. She was prompt in her attendance at the services in the public congregation and the Sunday school on the Sabbath, and at the Wednesday evening prayer meeting, and in the other organizations of whatever kind, her willingness to do and her counsel for the good of these societies was always decidedly marked,





Page 148


and at the missoinary meeting, August 7th, 1907, in the Church, just opposite her residence, she was suddenly stricken down and her lifeless body was carried to her home by sorrowing friends. To add to the sadness, her husband was far away from home and was not permitted to see, nor to know of the sad occurrence, until his family could get into communication with him.

  Our Church in all its interests has felt very keenly this loss. The funeral services were held at the family home and were conducted by her pastor, Rev. M. E. Swartz, assisted by Rev. Dr. M. K. Foster, August 10, at 2 P. M.; and all that was mortal of her was laid away in the cemetery to await the final resurrection.

  A suggestion to change the corporate name of the Church had been made and on October 9th, 1907, a meeting of the corporation was called to consider the matter of changing the name. A report was made by A. H. Woodward, Secretary of Trustees, suggesting the name of Walnut Street. He then moved that to be the name, seconded by A. Harwick. Jos. B. McEnally moved to amend that each voter cast a ballot with the name of his choice. J. Knight seconded the amendment, and the motion as amended was carried, and on motion of H. B. Powell, that the unanimous consent be given to withdraw all motions and amendments and that we pro. ceed to ballot. Motion prevailed and A. H. Woodward withdrew his motion. Walter C. Stephens and John E. Harder were appointed tellers.

The first ballot:
First Methodist Episcopal Church had 11 votes
Walnut Street Methodist Episcopal Church had 8 votes
St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church had 1 vote
Second Street Methodist Episcopal Church had 2 votes





Page 149


  There being no choice, a motion to withdraw St. Paul and Second Street was carried.

  H. B. Powell moved that privilege he given to discuss the names of First Methodist Episcopal and Walnut Street, and a discussion by A. H. Woodward and H. B. Powell was very thorough, and Mr. Woodward suggested the name of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, and a second ballot being taken resulted in:

First Methodist Episcopal had 9 votes
Trinity Methodist Episcopal had 9 votes
Walnut Street had 4 votes
St. Paul's had 1 vote

There being no choice, a third ballot was ordered, when
Trinity Methodist Episcopal had 14 votes
First Methodist Episcopal had 7 votes
Walnut Street had 3 votes

  The name of Trinity having received the largest number of votes, was adopted and made unanimous.

  It was moved and seconded that A. H. Woodward, the Secretary of Trustees, be directed to take the necessary legal steps to have the charter name of the corporation changed from the Clearfield Methodist Episcopal Church to that of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.

  Bro. Swartz contemplating a protracted meeting in the fall of 1908, and in consultation with the Official Board, it was thought advisable to secure the service of a good singer and leader to take charge of the singing, and he was authorized to secure such a person and arrange a date for the beginning of the meeting. J. Raymond Hem-





Page 150


minger, of Carlisle, Pa., was chosen as the person to entrust with the work and he was engaged for it, preparation was made and a large platform was erected at the pulpit sufficiently large to seat from fifty to sixty singers. The meeting commenced on October 18th, and Mr. Hemminger succeeded in forming a large chorus of singers and under his training it was soon found that he was eminently qualified to lead in such a service and with the hearty co-operation both of his own singers and the congregation, the singing during the whole meeting was a great inspiration and a great help to the meeting.

 The meeting was largely attended, and the interest manifested was very marked, and the invitations to persons to start in the religious life were always responded to and every evening some were found at the altar, and in the congregation were many persons who signified their intention to make a start for a better life. Bro. Swartz was assisted in the services by other ministers, and meetings for men were held on Sunday afternoons. The meeting continued until the 18th of November, when its close resulted in a report of 120 conversions, and nearly all connected themselves with our Church.

 The women of the Church are organized into Foreign and Home Missionary Societies, and their work is shown in the statistical report.


  In the beginning of the Conference year our stewards take the financial management in hand and make an assessment on each member or family in the Church, as to what in their judgment is a fair proportion for each family or member to contribute toward the support of





Page 151


the Church. The members are notified of such assessment and envelopes are sent to them for each month in the year, asking them as far as possible to make monthly payments. This assessment is not a binding one, but may be lessened or increased in the judgment of the members, but is seldom changed. This assessment is given to the Treasurer, Andrew Harwick, and he gives to a number of collectors a list of names they are expected to collect from, and by his careful management each quarterly report generally shows a close collection ; and he is careful that each year shows a final settlement and no balances carried over. The public collections very nearly cover the current expenses for each year.


  A condensed history of the other Churches of the town will not be out of place.

  St. Francis' Roman Catholic Church dates the first visit of priests to this parish in 1815, as misisonaries, but there was no regularly organized Church until 1830, when Rev. Father Leary commenced the building of the Church, contributing $1,6o0 of his own money to the •object and the building was not entirely finished for about three years. This building was in use for over fifty years, and during the priesthood of Rev. P. J. Sheridan the present building was erected, and July 25th, 1886, the cornerstone was laid and the building completed at an estimated cost of $25,000. They have also a fine parsonage and sisters' home and a large parochial school building.


  The Presbyterian Church has a record somewhat older than ours. In 1803, by direction of the Huntingdon





Page 152


Presbytery, there was preaching in Clearfield by Revs. William Stewart and Henry R. Wilson, and other ministers came later on. This congregation, like our own, worshipped in private houses until the court house and academy were built, when, according to a diary kept by Rev. Frederick G. Betts, the grandfather of our townsmen, F. G. and W. I. Betts, these buildings were used. The society does not seem to have a distinct organization until 1819, and in 1826 Rev. Garry Bishop was installed as its first pastor and remained until 1834. The Church was incorporated March 31st, 1837. The first Church building was erected on the present site and was same style as the Cherry Street Methodist Episcopal Church, and was dedicated July 4th, 1841, mention of which is made in the diary of Mr. Betts, who succeeded Mr. Bishop in 1840. His pastorate of four years was like the circuit rider of our Church, going to all parts of the county on horseback. He died in 1845. The present Church building was erected in the years 1868 and 1869, and during its erection their pastor, Rev. J. G. Archer, was killed, January 12th, 1869, in a railroad accident. Rev. H. S. Butler was the first occupant of the pulpit in the new Church in 1869, and remained fifteen years. Rev. E. C. Reeve, D. D., is the pastor at this time and occupies the parsonage adjoining the Church. The Church records show a membership of 610, with a good Sunday School. The membership in the county is 3,111, and they have 19 Church buildings in the county.


  The St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church had for its leader in its early history Mr. G. Philip Gulich, who no doubt is remembered by some citizens of our town, and





Page 153


whose name was honored by our court, as the Apostle of Temperance, by naming one of our townships for him. His desire to have a place of worship for the few of his people prompted him to undertake the erection of a Church on the present site, and on August 31st, 1850, the cornerstone was laid and in 1851 the Church was dedicated. This building served its purpose until the growth of the congregation demanded more room and the building was sold and moved to the alley, where it now stands, and in 1887 the present building was erected and in 19o8 an addition was made to it, and now they have a splendid Church home with a good membership and a fine Sunday School. There are 26 Lutheran Churches in the county, with a membership of 2,856. Rev. Geo. W. Enders is the present pastor.


  St. Andrew's Protestant Episcopal dates the formation of their parish to May 22, 1850.

  The first Church building was commenced in the year 1850 and was completed in 1851. Rev. Dr. Alex. McLeod was the first rector, although the congregation held services, like the other Churchless congregations in the "forties," in the court house by visiting pastors. The ministerial supplies were changeable, no rector remaining for any great length of time, and yet the parish has been well sustained. Some improvements were made on the old building in 1866. A new Church building was contracted for June loth, 1895, and the present edifice is the result of that contract, and it is a very neat, comfortable Church home. Rev. Jos. Johns is the present rector.





Page 154



  The Baptist people held religious services in the court house as early as 1842, by Rev. Samuel Miles. An organization was effected June 24th, 1854, with 42 members. A Church building was erected on their present location, North Second street. Like all other Church societies, some person had to take the initial step, and in this case an old pioneer, Israel Nichols, Sr., a veteran Baptist, being a man possessed of considerable means, undertook the task of building this Church, and in 1858 pushed the work to completion. Rev. L. L. Still was their first regular pastor and he was also county superintendent of the common schools. The present pastor is P. S. Calvin and the membership numbers 138. They have a new chapel located on the same lot on which the original Church building stood and intend erecting a new building on the front of the lot at their earliest convenience.

  They have 25 Churches in the county, with a membership of 2,372.


  The United Brethren Church is of recent origin in Clearfield. They built their first Church on the corner of Dorey and Seventh Streets, in 1892. Rev. A. Davidson, of the Woodland charge, was their first pastor. In 1902 they moved the first building to the foot of their lot and under the pastorate of W. 0. Jones they erected the present brick building at a cost of $10,000. They sold the old Church in 1910 to the Baptists for their Sunday School in the Paradise settlement. Their membership is 219 and the enrollment in the Sunday School is 276. Rev. A. B. Wilson is the present pastor.





Page 155


  There are 9 charges in the county and a total membership of 1,986.

  There is also an organization of the Seventh Day Adventists in West Clearfield, of only a few years' existence and they have a very small membership.

  There is also the Salvation Army, which is trying to hold together, but with a hard struggle to maintain its organization.

Delivered by Hon. Thomas H. Murray at Memorial
Services in Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church,
Clearfield, Pa., Sunday, January 9, 1910,
at 7.15 P. M.

  At the opening of these exercises I was requested by the President of the League to make a few remarks. But for this I would not have ventured to speak on this occasion, for the reason that last Friday morning in the court house I spoke at great length on the professional career of Judge McEnally, and also incidentally upon his church life. It will always be a grateful recollection that the first time I ever saw Judge McEnally and the last time I ever saw him alive, was in the Church. In the summer of 1858 I came to Clearfield with my mother to visit a relative. It was the second time I had been here. I was then about the size of one of these small boys. On this occasion we came here on Saturday and went to Church in the old Church on Cherry Street. I was at that age when everything made an impression on my mind. It was the first Church I had ever been in.





Page 156


All the services I had ever attended before were in a school house or some such building. I can never forget how much I was impressed with the magnificence of the building, the long row of seats and the appointments generally. This Church is nothing like the magnificent -Church that then appeared to me.

  The preacher was the Rev. Thomas Barnhart. He was an old fashioned preacher. Among other accomplishments he had the rare gift of being able to read well. I took a seat about half way up on the left hand side. The opening hymn he read was that wonderful hymn of Cowper's:

"God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform.
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm."

  I had never heard it before. It made an impression on my mind which I can never forget. I afterwards came to know the history of the unusual circumstances under which it was written. It has always seemed to me to be the most finely written and the most majestic in sentiment of all that marvelous collection. Shortly before the hymn had been announced, there was a young, slim looking man came up the aisle and took a seat immediately in front of me. He was dressed in black and wore a silk hat. He was the second lawyer I had ever seen and for that reason I paid much attention to him. I found out who he was in this way; he set his silk hat down beside him and I leaned over the back of the seat and read this name in the hat—"Jos. B. McEnally." He generally wrote his name that way, not by the initials and not in full. The next time I saw him was in the fall of the same year at a log school house near where my





Page 157


father lived, where he made a political speech. In 1864 I heard him at the same place on the same kind of an occasion. That time he stayed over night at my father's house. With this knowledge of him when I came to Clearfield in the spring of 1868, he was one of the first persons I came to know well. He gave me more encouragement than anyone else at the Bar, especially among the older lawyers. Through his influence and confidence in me, I early became identified with a class of important cases, which I would not otherwise then have had to do with. When we later came to try cases against each other, there were the asperities between us that are common to lawyers, but we never lost the great respect we had for each other. I had very great regard for him and he had for me. When I had a very serious illness about six years ago, it was a long time before I could walk with my accustomed vigor. One day, going along the street to the post office in about the usual way, I met him. As soon as he came in view he smiled and approached me, stopped and said that he was very glad to see that I was able to walk in the old fashioned way.

  I can recall many incidents illustrating his high Christian character and the confidence it inspired in his associates at the Bar, but I will only venture to relate one. Nearly thirty-two years ago I was employed to defend a man charged with murder. There was for the Commonwealth, the prosecuting officer and also an emiment counsel from another city. On the eve of the trial when, full of anxiety and solicitude because of the responsibility, I learned that Judge McEnally also was employed for the prosecution. Mr. Gordon, afterwards Judge Gordon, was then associated with me. We were both quite young and felt the weight of the task before us. I said to him





Page 158


that with Judge McEnally on the other side it seemed to me that we were confronted by a very formidable array of counsel. He replied by this significant statement, that he would prefer to have Judge McEnally on the other side than to try the case against the other counsel alone, for he thought that the prosecution would now be under the direction of McEnally and that he would not offer testimony to affect the prisoner which he did not believe was proper testimony in a capital case. I have often thought of this since as a very high tribute to the character of the man; that in the zeal of his cause and in his anxiety to press the case of the Commonwealth, he would not lose sight of his duty to the court, as well as to the prisoner, by introducing testimony which was not proper on such a serious charge. I thought then and since, that it would be a great thing if the same character and caution would govern all the other counsel who present cases before the court and jury.

  Some time last year a committee was appointed by the Court to obtain photographs or pictures of all the men who had presided over the courts of this county, commencing with the first Judge, Hon. Charles Huston, who opened the court here in October, 1822, and who was afterwards elevated to the supreme bench of the State. On last Friday morning at the Bar meeting in the court house his associates attempted a portrait of his professional career, not only by way of tribute to his memory, but that there might be put in permanent form an estimate of his character and services at the Bar for the benefit of the younger men now practicing, who had less knowledge of him, and that the future generations of lawyers might know of the great qualities which enabled him to attain such high rank at the Bar. At the afternoon services





Page 159


at this Church, however, there was presented by the remarks of Dr. Stephens, the only adequate and complete portrait he has ever had. I would be glad indeed, if that was put in such form as to be available to every member of this Church.

  Biography is the most interesting and instructive of writings for the reason that the study of people surpasses all other objects of study. Whether we travel at home or abroad we learn more of value by our contact with people than otherwise. Pope said rightly, "The proper study of mankind is man." Biography, therefore, is the most instructive of all writing. History is only another form of biography. I have paid some attention to this kind of writing. I have read much of it and have written some and I think I have some judgment on the subject. The address to which I refer was the best memorial address I have ever heard, and I have seldom read any equal to it. In 2,000 years there have been but two great biographers; one was Plutarch, who was born somewhere from 4o to 45 of the first century. It has been said, upon good authority, that "Plutarch's Lives" was a book read by more intelligent people than any other book outside of the Bible, up until a hundred years ago, when the drift of the public mind was turned toward more frivolous reading. McCauley said of this book, that while there were many books which were valuable to him, there were none he could not get along without except this book. The other great biographer was James Boswell, born in 1740. There are few intelligent men, indeed, who are so greatly lacking as Boswell, but his biography was such a great success as to overshadow the glaring defects which made him a failure in everything else but it. No thoughtful person, who can take the






Page 160


time to read far enough into his book to discover its peculiar value and merit, will ever let loose of it until he devours its contents. If I had to rearrange and classify great biographers, I would say the first one was Plutarch, who wrote in the last half of the first century, the second one was Boswell, who wrote in the last half of the eighteenth century and the third was Dr. W. A. Stephens, who wrote and spoke in the early part of the twentieth century.

  It is well our departed friend, whose loss we so greatly mourn, and whose memory we so greatly cherish, has had a biographer who has presented to us his Christian character and his Church life in such accurate and definite terms as to do great justice to the dead and furnish inspiration to the living.

  It is often said there is always some one to take the place of one gone. This depends on whether he left duplicates of himself. The most interesting people have no duplicates. It is the odd, eccentric and unusual people who are the most interesting, and this because their oddity and eccentricity touch our lives in places which other people cannot reach. It is, therefore, their peculiarities which render them of special interest and value. Nobody will ever take this man's place. No one else can fit into his place in our lives and in the life of this Church. We will never see his like again, but if we are faithful to the example he left us, and true to the light he followed, we shall see him again.





Page 161


Memorial Delivered at Funeral of Hon. J. B. McEnally,
Friday, January 7th

  The Republican is privileged this week to give its readers the memorial address delivered by Dr. W. A. Stephens in the Methodist Church at the funeral of the late Judge Joseph B. McEnally, on Friday afternoon, January 7th. It is one of the most beautiful tributes ever paid to the memory of a departed friend. It follows:

  "We are here because a good man has been removed from association with us. He is not dead. What we call death is but transfer, in this case a transfer of life to a wider sphere of activity and more congenial environment.

  "It is not my purpose to speak of his professional life. That has been done by those better qualified than myself. I wish only to speak of his religious life and character as it impressed me during the years I have known him.

  "If I were to try to sum up a description of his religious life in one word, I would use constancy as that word. A life of unwavering adherence to a course he had chosen for himself.

  "This quality was seen in the fact that he was not perceptibly affected by the ebb and flow of spiritual life in the Church. In times of spiritual refreshing he was always in his place doing his part fully toward the success of the movement, but his personal life gave but little evidence of special spiritual uplift. Then in times of indifference, when many would fall into neglect, as to religious duty, he moved steadily forward. I have sometimes thought that if the entire membership had made





Page 162


shipwreck of faith, McEnally would have stood just as firmly as ever; been just as loyal to God and as faithful to his religious duty and privilege as at any time. His way was not on "mountain tops and then in valleys low," but a constantly ascending pathway. The same characteristic of his religious life was seen in that he was not moved by changes in form of worship. Older people as a rule do not take to changes kindly. They incline to cling to that with which they have become familiar, and because of changes made come to feel that "the former days were better than the latter." The same may be said of him as to new phases. of doctrine whether the outgrowth of scientific or critical philosophical investigation, none of these disturbed him. He had thought out his way for himself and reached well settled convictions as to the essentials. These he was convinced would abide. The foundations being secure the changes in non-essentials interested, but did not disturb him.

  "This constancy of religious character is seen also in the fact that other interests, however important, were never allowed to so engage him as to even momentarily turn him aside from his religious duties or privileges.

  "The most absorbing demands of the political campaign, in which he was always deeply interested, or the severe exactions of his professional life, to which no man was more devoted, were not allowed to encroach on his religious life or duties. The deeper current on which his religious life moved was undisturbed by any of the things that seem to reverse, for a time, the course of many men's lives. His presence at the place of worship was as certain at such as at other times. They to him were important, but secondary to the claims of God and his spiritual interests.





Page 163


  "This constancy precluded the possibility of anything spectacular in his religious life. There was no going forward by leaps and bounds, to be followed by a halt or a retrograde movement. On the other hand no standing still or sluggishness of spirit and movement, but a daily progress toward a maturity of religious thought, experience and life, beautiful in its consistency and profitable as an example for our study and imitation.

  "I am glad I knew him."




return to previous chapter

return to beginning

turn to next chapter




Return to Top of Page


Return To Clearfield County Main Index Page


Ellis Michaels, Clearfield County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager


Copyright 2010, USGenWeb Archives