Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives

Clearfield County

History of Clearfield County

by

Lewis Cass Aldrich

published 1887

 

Chapter 29

 

Copyright

This page was last updated on 23 Apr 2011

Contribute

 

 
 
 

 

HIST0RY
OF
CLEARFIELD COUNTY
PENNSYLVANIA

WITH ILLUSTRATIONS AND BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
OF SOME OF ITS PROMINENT MEN AND PIONEERS

EDITED BY
LEWIS CASS ALDRICH

SYRACUSE, N. Y.
D. MASON & CO., PUBLISHERS
1887

 

 Chapter 29

Pages

455

456

457

458

459

460

461

462

463

464

465

466

467

468

469

470

471

472

473

474

475

476

477

***

printer friendly version of this page

 

 

 

Page 455

Brady Township

 

CHAPTER XXIX.

HISTORY OF BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

     BRADY township was named for Captain Samuel Brady, the Indian fighter and hunter. The first white settler was James Woodside, a native of Chester county, Pa. He located on a tract of land which was surveyed to him in pursuance of warrant No. 57o, on July 30, 1785, and situated on the head waters of Stump Creek, later known as the " Woodside," and (sometimes) " Luther " place. For a period of twenty-two long years no one came to cheer him, save the red man of the forest. At the expiration of this forced hermitic period, Joab Ogden located about a mile further down the creek— this was 1807—where Carlile Station now stands (on the B. R. & P. Railroad). In the year 1812 George, Michael and Frederick Scheffer located on the waters of Sandy Lick Creek. George located on part of the land where Du Bois now stands. Fred. and Michael located a few miles further up the creek. James, Benjamin and Thomas Carson came in 1814. In 1820 Lebbeus Luther, a native of Massachusetts, bought and located on the tract of land where Luthersburgh now stands (the place was named after him). Messrs. Fox & Co., who owned thousands of acres in this section, appointed Mr. Luther as their agent to dispose of these lands. The first tract he sold was to Benjamin Bon­sall, who came from Perry county in 1824. Mr. Frederick Zeigler came about this time and settled on what was later known as the " Thompson " place. Mr. Zeigler came from Centre county, but was a native of York county.

 

 

 

 

Page 456

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

     In 1826 the township was organized and Benjamin Bonsall was appointed the first justice of the peace, in 1828. John Carlile came from Lebanon county and settled near the present site of Luthersburgh ("Goodlander " place). In 1830 Jacob Kuntz, a native of Bavaria, Germany, came and settled near where the Reformed Church now stands. The Knarrs, Weisgerbers, Wingerts, Korbs, and Yoases came in 1831, followed by Jacob Trautwine, in 1832. Henry Goodlander came in 1837, from Lycoming county. Immigration from now on was so vast and rapid, to preclude any further enumeration; besides, the allotted space compels brevity. The men who were conversant with the toils, hard­ships, and privations of the early pioneers of Brady township, will all, in a few short years, have passed away. All attempts at adornment of this sketch would only impair its value. Most of these sturdy pioneers have passed beyond, and among those who are yet with us—as living reminders of pluck, energy, and endurance, so necessary in pioneer life—the following deserve special mention : Jacob Kuntz, born 1778 ; Mrs. Kuntz (his wife), born 1800 ; Frederick Zeigler, born 1799 ; Mrs. Zeigler (his wife), born 1801 ; John Carlile, born 1803 ; Mrs. Carlile (his wife), born 1806.

 

     Probably no other township in the county can produce three as old and measurably as healthy couples as the above named, whose aggregate age is 515 years, almost averaging eighty-seven years. They have been, and are, honorable and highly respected citizens, who have been a benefit and blessing beyond the confines of Brady township. Nor will their noble and good influence pass away with them. For their respective services, see "Township Annals," further on. Among these early settlers, many of them " squatted," i. e., took possession of land without knowing to whom it belonged, and by keeping undisputed possession for twenty-one years, held it the same by right of peaceable possession under the general law.

 

     Topography and Geography.—Brady township is located in the northwest corner of the county, about 2,000 feet above the sea level. ("Cream Hill " or " Luthersburgh Knob " is 2,060 feet above sea level). The surface is rather hilly, gently sloping westward ; climate is salubrious and healthy ; many excellent springs, including several "chalybeate," or mineral springs, abound. The soil is well adapted for the cultivation of all cereals ; fruitful orchards are met with everywhere, and although agriculture is not as far advanced as it is in some of the older eastern counties, it is rapidly improving. As the lumber disappears, greater interest is taken in tilling the fertile soil.

 

     Mining.—The entire township seems to be underlaid with the lower "Free­port" vein of bituminous coal, which has been opened at different points in the township, near Troutville. At Amos Bonsall's a six-foot vein of most excellent coal is opened. Counting six inches "cannel" coal, fire-clay and lime­stone and other minerals abound.

 

     Lumbering.—There are yet hundreds of acres of virgin timber land, em‑

 
 

 

 

Page 457

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

ploying about eight to ten mills—saw and shingle-mills—which run from six to eight months in the year. Pine is not so plenty, but hemlock and hard wood are abundant. Many hundred acres of most superior pine timber were cut down and rolled on "log-heaps" and burnt, in order to "clear out" farms, in the early history of the township. Such action to-day would be considered vandalism.

 

     Public Roads and Railroads.—There are numerous and convenient roads kept in fair condition, probably considerably better than the average roads in most townships in the county, excepting " Cream Hill " turnpike, running through Brady east and west. This road collects toll under an old charter, which should be considered to have outlived its usefulness, as the tolls are heavy and the road often in an extremely bad condition. "Cream Hill" turn­pike was chartered prior to 1820 as the " Waterford and Susquehanna," or " Sunbury and Erie " (as some authorities have it), and completed from 1820 to 1821. The State had appropriated a proper sum for its opening, but later it was rechartered as " Cream Hill " turnpike. From the time of its opening till about 1855, this pike was a great thoroughfare ; toll-keepers were kept busy all day ; hotel and tavern keepers, then known as "landlords," became rich ; six-horse coaches, carrying the United States mail, were the wonder and embodiment of progress.

 

     The " bugle horn " of the " stage driver " was what the whistle of the locomotive is to-day.

 

     The next in importance is the public road leading from Luthersburg to Punxsutawney, the opening of which dates to the fall of 1830, when the few settlers near where Troutville now stands volunteered their services, among whom were the following : Jacob Kuntz, " Jery " Miles, Jonathan Ogden, and D. Hoover ; and on April 15, 1831, the first wagon passed over it on its way to Punxsutawney ; it was an old wagon brought from Germany by Jacob Kuntz.

 

     The township has but one railroad—the B. R. and P.—running through the western border of the township, affording two stations—one, " Jefferson Line, " and the other, " Carlile"—thus affording facilities for shipping lumber, which were long needed.

 

     Pioneer Incidents.—Numerous and indeed interesting must have been the varied experiences of those who undauntedly undertook the herculean task of converting the primitive forests into the beautiful and fertile fields of to-day, enjoyed yet by many of them and their children, reaching to the border of the fourth generation.

 

     Times were considered good, plenty to eat but no money. They lived as one large family. The only incident for weeks would be an occasional circuit rider, coming with a gun on his shoulder, and on his arrival everybody considered it his duty to inform his neighbor, and soon a motley crowd would meet

 

 

 

 

Page 458

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

in the bar-room in Lebbeus Luther's tavern, some in bare feet, others bare­headed, still others in moccasins, and others coatless, etc., and although they met in a bar-room, their conduct was modest and civil, evincing emotion and a deep religious feeling.

 

     In 1830 there was no mill nearer than Philipsburg, Centre county, Irvin's mill at Curwensville having been burned at this time. The first mill in the township was Ogden's (Carlile Station to-day), the bolting cloth of which had to be turned by hand. On one occasion Mr. John Carlile took a " grist " to this mill, and Mr. Ogden not being at home, Mr. Carlile concluded to do the grinding himself, and succeeded, but when done could not stop the mill.

 

     Game was plenty in those days. Mr. Adam Knarr remembers that about the year 1840 he saw and counted forty deer in a four acre field. Mr. Fred. Zeigler shot over four hundred deer, when he lost his " tally," but thinks that he at least shot sixty or seventy more, shot and captured eighty-two bears, one panther, seven wolves, several hundred raccoons, and an equal number of foxes, and was himself caught in one of his steel wolf traps, having forgotten the exact spot where he had placed it.

 

     " Uncle Billy " Long, the great hunter, shot more deer than Zeigler, but Zeigler shot and captured more bears, having made a special study of their habits. Mr. Zeigler was often " treed " by wounded " bucks," making many narrow escapes with his life. About 1815 or 1816 five brothers, belonging to the " Seneca" tribe of Indians, known as the " Cornplanters," made their "appearance in the " Big " Beaver meadow (where Du Bois now stands), where they erected their " wigwams," from which they sallied forth for game. In this family of five brothers were probably more " Johns " than could be found to-day in a single family. There was " Big " John, " Little " John, " Black " John, " Saucy " John, " John " John, and " John " Sites. These " friendly " sons of the forest continued their annual visits up to and beyond 1820.

 

     One day "Uncle Billy" Long met "Black " John, and asked him how many deer he had shot that morning (being about eleven o'clock A. M.) " Black" replied that so far he had had " bad luck," as he had shot only ten deer. On another occasion (about 1823), " Uncle Billy " Long induced these Indian hunters to go with him to Luther's tavern (Luthersburgh to-day) to shoot " mark " (target) with Lebbeus Luther, who, by the way, was a most excellent " marksman." He did not at first show his skill until the Indians concluded that they would have an easy victory. Then he began to crowd them closer to the " bull's eye," until he proved himself the best shot in the crowd. The Indians began to look at each other in amazement and visible fear, when " Big " John turned to " Saucy " John, casting side glances at Luther, and in a low tone said, " John, we are not safe. That man Luver is a pale-faced medicine man or wizzard. Let us go." They went.

 

     How the love of something good to eat may modify even the stern de‑

 

 

 

 

Page 459

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

meanor and legally austere heart of a judge on the bench, the sequel will show. Judge Thomas Burnside, generally known as the " elder," as he was followed on the bench by his son, was exceedingly fond of venison, who would adjourn court at any time to secure a deer " saddle ;" being the first judge on the Clearfield bench, presided when the case of the Commonwealth vs. Jonathan Ogden came up. Ogden had been returned for shooting deer out of season. On hearing the evidence the judge seemed very indignant, pretending by actual statement that he was glad for the opportunity to establish a precedent for hunters in particular, and citizens in general, saying : " I will inflict such a fine on the offender for shooting deer out of season, that it will never be forgotten." Turning to one of his associates, he asked : " Is 6¼ cents enough ?" The associates assenting, he threw the change to Ogden, telling him to pay his fine, and proceeded with the regular order of business.

 

     The prowess of the settlers is nicely illustrated by a little incident in which Mr. Whitson Cooper (by the way the first teacher in Brady township) and Michael Shaffer prominently figured.

 

     One Sunday in summer or autumn, between 1820 and '25, Mr. Cooper started afoot, going through the woods to visit Mr. Michael Scheffer. At the same time " Mike " started up the creek, through the large beaver dam along Sandy, to look at a trap he had set for wolves, and on arriving there found the trap gone. He then followed the marks of the grappling hook until he got to a fallen tree which lay across another, and not quite on the ground. He then got on the fallen tree and looked for further traces of the trap, when suddenly a good sized panther looked fiercely up at him, but luckily for Scheffer, being unarmed, got off the log quickly, and found a small hemlock down out of root; this he got, broke off the top, and made himself a war club, when he again got on the log, and with well directed blows knocked the panther's brains out ; he then hauled him out and with his pocket-knife cut the head off, and sat down at the creek and washed the blood off, a steep bank being close behind him. At this juncture he saw Mr. Cooper coming leisurely along on the bank of the creek, looking as if in a brown study, and when right above him, Scheffer threw the head before him, which frightened him so much that he got quite pale, and for a while could hardly speak. The panther measured eight feet and a few inches.

 

     The dwelling houses in those pioneer days were little better than " shanties." It is true there were openings for windows and doors, before which sheets and blankets were hung, as boards were not to be had, as no saw-mills existed. Consequently floors were rare, or did not exist. The roofs were made of split shingles, or clap-boards, held in place by good sized logs known as weight poles.

 

     In 1832 the Knarr residence, the first house, where Troutville now stands, was built ; it was probably as good as most in the township ; it was made

 

 

 

 

Page 460

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

of hewn logs, clap-board roof, no second floor or ceiling, a hole in the apex and centre, as to length of the roof, for the smoke to escape. This house had a ground floor, made by placing cross pieces between the "sleepers," close together, so as to hold a layer of clay mortar, which, packed solid and smoothed over and allowed to dry, made a firm and warm floor, which had the advantage, by virtue of its material, to escape scrubbing. The idea of this kind of floor was taken from the old German method of stucco work, similar to old time German threshing floors (not a nail used). Within a stone's-throw of the site of this pioneer cabin is the modern residence of H. E. Ginter, having all the modern conveniences of steam heat, hot and cold water throughout the entire house ; make the comparison between the two, and the vast improvement since then, will strongly impress us that the world moves.

 

     Prior to the location of the Knarr cabin, between the years 1821 and 1824, or near those dates, the first settlers located in the southern part of Brady township; these were David Haney, who first began on land which he sold to Lewis Kuntz in 1832, and where Jacob L. Kuntz now resides ; Joseph Hoover at the same time settled on land which a few years later he sold to William Rishel, and where John W. Kuntz now resides, David Hoover at the same time settled on land which he sold to John Aurand, and where Henry Aurand now lives, and Peter Hoover first settled on land which he afterward sold to George Shucker, sr., in 1825 ; he then bought again and improved land, which in 1832, he sold to George Fred. Kohler, father of the present owner, Fred. Kohler. These first settlers all left except Mr. Haney, who bought about a mile west, where he died some years ago at an advanced age.

 

     Mrs. Haney was a courageous woman, and related to Rev. John Reams, that while they lived in their first log cabin, which had only a " coverlet " hung for a door the first summer, and a little distance from the house was a cattle pen in which their cattle were kept at night. One night when Mr. Haney was away the wolves attacked their cattle, whereupon she opened the door (?) and resolutely scolded the wolves, and they left ; but some nights afterward they came again when Mr. Haney was at home, and he took his gun and went out, and in the dim moonlight he saw one, fired at him, and some time afterward found him lying dead near where William McClarren now lives.

 

     Mrs. Haney once was going home late in the afternoon, carrying one of her sister's children, when suddenly a large wolf stopped a short distance in front of her, showed his teeth and looked savagely ; but she stood still and scolded him with energy to go home, when he scampered off, and she hastened home, but was afraid of being pursued, and that the scamp might want the child for supper. She also once when going alone to George Ogden's, (Carlile Station now) saw a panther jump on a log at the side of the road, a little distance before her. The beast then lowered the tail and crouched, but Mrs. Haney stood and scolded vigorously and the panther ran off. And yet

 

 

 

 

Page 461

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

     Mrs. Hany was not a scold in that sense of the word, and lived until these wild animals became few in number.

 

     Besides those already named, Jonathan Ogden was also an early settler, and on his land the Union Cemetery, a mile east of Troutville, is located. One day, in 1835, while carelessly leaning on his gun, which had a short barrel, his dog licked the trigger and discharged the gun, killing Mr. Ogden instantly. He was the first person buried in his grave-yard.

 

TOWNSHIP ANNALS.

 

     Brady may be termed the mother of townships, as originally she covered a large territory (twelve miles square), of which she yielded largely portions in the formation of Union, Bloom and Sandy townships. The establishment of Brady township as a separate " bailiwick " took place in 1826. Mr. Benj. Bonsall was the first justice of the peace, by appointment of Governor Shulze. Mr. John Carlile was the second in line, appointed by the governor in 1831. Mr. Carlile was his own successor, once by appointment in 1836, and next by election under act of 1842. Fred. Zeigler was the first collector (by appointment) in the township. In 1835 Luthersburgh was "laid out" as a town by Jacob Flick, who had purchased the land from Lebbeus Luther, after whom the new town was named. Major M. H. Luther (son of Leb. L.) was born in 1814, and was elected county auditor in 1839. He claims that the " tightest " place he ever was in was when he was drawn as a grand juror (about 1840), and appointed foreman of the grand jury It nearly "scared " him out of his wits, but Mr. Lewis Barrett (brother of Judge Barrett), being a juror, came to his rescue and all went well. In 1842 John Carlile was elected county commissioner on the Democratic ticket, with over three hundred majority over his Whig opponent, Ebenezer Winslow, of Caledonia (now in Elk county), then belonging to Clearfield county.

 

     In 1861 Jacob Kuntz was elected county commissioner on the Democratic ticket. It is to be regretted that the limited space does not admit of a complete register of all who held office up to the present time. The vote in 1830 counted sixty. Population in 1880, U. S. census, was 1,888. In the winter of 1886, application was made by S. G. Kuntz, Lewis Schoch, H. E. Ginter, Daniel Rishel and others, to divide Brady township into two precincts for election purposes ; a commission of three was appointed consisting of D. W. Moore, W. D. Bigler and P. S. Weber, to investigate and report to court ; their report was unanimous in favor of a new precinct with Troutville as the election poll ; said report was confirmed absolute in September, 1886, and first election in the new precinct was held in November, 1886, casting 139 ballots.

 

     The establishment of the first post-office in Brady township was Luthersburgh, and dates back to the completion of the " turnpike," about 1820. David Irvin was the first postmaster, " Gust " Schnell the second, followed by

59

 

 

 

 

Page 462

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

P. W. Barrett. The post-office at Troutville was established through the efforts of Rev. John Reams and Jacob Kuntz, in 1857 or '58 ; Mr. Kuntz also was its first postmaster. Troutville was " laid out " as a town three years previous to this time. The village was named after Jacob Trautwein. The town was often nick-named " Fishtown," deriving that " sobriquet " from a large trout which was painted on a swinging sign of the first hotel or tavern (as it was then called) of the town. As the Rev. John Reams claims the honor of naming the village of Troutville, also of drawing up the writings and securing the post-office there, and also of starting the first Sunday-school at that place, we will permit him to state the following facts :

 

     " In those years, between 1838 and 1850, much grain, pork, salt, etc., was hauled into Clearfield county from below Punxsutawney, and many teams stopped with Mr. Trautwein, who for some years lived in his round log house, built, as was customary then, with a clapboard roof, and the door hung in primitive style—wooden hinges. This cabin was often inconveniently full, but having inherited some money from Germany, he had a comfortable frame house erected in 1845. A year or two later two or three other houses were built and occupied, and a village seemed in prospect. Soon after a Mr. Winslow, from Punxsutawney, started a small store there, but in a year or so withdrew, and Carlile & Co. started a store in 1852, where Mr. Carlile still resides. About this time C. F. Grape started a small store at the east end of the present town. This he sold to Mr. Kuntz, sen., in a year or two. In marking goods to be brought here some were marked ' New Salem ' and others ' New Germany,' and as Mr. Trautwein had no children to perpetuate his name, he wished the place called Troutweinville. It so happened one rainy day that a number of neighbors met at the Carlile store,' when the narrator proposed to settle the name by a vote, and it was thereupon agreed that Troutweinville was inconveniently long and objectionable; he was willing to adopt ' Trout,' drop the wein,' and add the ville ' ; so, after two or three names were proposed, and each one had made a mark opposite his choice, the name of Troutville carried largely ; whereupon he wrote a notice and tacked it on the wall : Take Notice ! This place is named Troutville from this date.' The notice is lost and date forgotten, but it was probably in 1854. A year or two later they wanted a post-office at Troutville, and the narrator drew up a petition to Postmaster-General Kendall and sent it to Hon. Wm. Bigler, U. S. senator, and soon after our post-office was granted and Jacob Kuntz appointed postmaster. The village was regularly laid out in 1857, after Mr. Trautwein's death, and several lots sold before, date further back than those in the plan."

 

     Stores.—To Matthew Irvin belongs the credit of being the first merchant in Brady township, locating at Luthersburgh in about 1835. Matthew sold out to his brother, David Irvin, in 1837. Daniel Barrett, father of Judge George R. and James C. Barrett, opened a store at the same place in 1838. He was fol‑

 

 

 

 

Page 463

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

lowed by James Loughlan, of Clarion county, then followed G. W. and S. Arnold in 1844, who were succeeded by Samuel and F. K. Arnold in 1848. About 1850 to 1852 Barrett, Flegal & Postlethwait started a store in New Salem. This firm sold out to Barrett Brothers, and they in turn to a Mr. Montgomery, and he to J. Heasly. About the same time Charles F. Grape and George Knarr started a small store in Troutville, followed by Winslow & Gillespie in 1852. A few years later Fred. Kohler opened a store at the site of his present residence. Mr. John Carlile opened a store in the room formerly occupied by Winslow & Gillespie. The latter carried it on but a few months in 1852, and built a suitable room in 1856, which he occupied for many years, doing a successful business. At this (or even prior) time, John Hoover started a store at West Liberty, followed by others with varied success. About in 1859 Arnold & Terpe opened a store at Salem, or what is more particularly known as " Goodlander's." All these stores carried a general or mixed stock, which they exchanged for square timber and shaved shingles, making a large profit on the goods, and a larger margin on the timber and shingles. Careful and economical merchants could scarcely fail to succeed. Luthersburgh now has two general stores, one hardware store, one furniture and wagon shop, two shoe shops, one harness shop, one blacksmith shop, and two hotels, and had a private banking house, F. K. Arnold & Co., from 1871 to 1874.

 

     Troutville has two general stores, two groceries, one wagon shop, one blacksmith shop, two shoe shops, three furniture and repair shops, and one hotel.

 

     Manufacturing.—Joab Ogden built the first grist-mill (it was a small affair, turning bolting-cloth by hand) in the township. The exact year cannot be established, nearer than that it was prior to 1830, in which year " Jerry " and Andrew Moore, of Penn township, built a saw and grist-mill at what is now known as Rockton (Union township), known to this day as Moore's Mill. From 1849 to 1850 Jacob Kuntz built a grist-mill on East Branch (of Mahoning) about one and a half miles south of Troutville. This mill had two pair of French burrs, originally run by water power but now by steam, and known to­day as Rishel's Mill. In 1854 Jeremiah Miles built a steam and water-power grist- mill on the head waters of Stump Creek, two miles west of Luthersburgh. It was a wooden structure forty-eight by fifty feet, three stories high. Mr. Miles operated this mill till October, 1858, when he sold it to his son, Samuel Miles, who operated till April, 1864, when it was purchased by Adam Knarr and George A. Weaver, who operated it till January, 1872, when Jacob Edin­ger bought Adam Knarr's interest, changing the firm name to Weaver & Edinger, who run it until June, 1875, when the claim of George A. Weaver was purchased by the junior partner of the old firm, the present owner and operator ; capacity per day, twenty-five barrels of flour, and about ten tons of chop and feed.

 

 

 

 

Page 464

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

     Saw-Mills.—The first saw-mill, Mr. Fred. Zeigler claims, was built by him between 1824 and 1830, on the present site of Jesse Lines's saw-mill; Jeremiah Miles the second, which latter was known as Zeigler's Mill. The third saw­mill was probably the one built in connection with the grist-mill at Rockton by the Moore Brothers in 1847. Mr. Jacob Kuntz claims that he built the fourth saw-mill in the township, about one mile east of his grist-mill, on East Branch (Rishel's Mill). All these, and those which followed for many years after, were the old " up and down " pattern. At present the saw and shingle mills in the township are making an average run of about six months in the year. The saw-mills of to-day differ as much from the old-time saw-mills, as the present " roller " process grist-mill differs from the old " burr" system.

 

     Church Organization.—The establishment of church organizations was no easy task in such a sparsely settled country as Brady township in its pioneer days, and the hazards and hardships of the early pioneer circuit riders would make a volume itself of intense interest and importance. The first minister who came to Brady township was a Rev. — Anderson, who preached in the bar-room of " Leb." Luther's tavern in 1822 or 1823. Rev. Anderson was a Presbyterian. The next minister who made his appearance was the Rev. David Kennison, a young Virginian, who was sent by the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1827 ; he also preached in the tavern at Luthersburgh. At about this time Rev. John Althaus, a Reformed minister, came occasionally from Armstrong county ; he also preached in the old tavern at Luthersburg to the German settlers of the vicinity. These faithful and honest servants endured many privations. They generally traveled on horseback with saddle-bag and musket or rifle, the latter for defense. They generally traveled on a four or six weeks circuit, receiving seldom over, but oftener under one hundred dollars salary per year ; yet they were cheer and hopeful— a condition of mind which springs from a contented heart.

 

     Methodist Episcopal Church.—Rev. David Kennison, the young Virginian above mentioned, organized the first M. E. class in 1827, in Carson's barn, about a mile and one-half west of Luthersburgh. Among this class were Fred. Hollowpeter, Jos. Lines, David Irvin and Daniel Barrett. Mr. Barrett was the first class leader. In 1828 Revs. David Steel and Pierce preached every four weeks, covering the following appointments, viz. : Philipsburg, Clearfield, Karthaus, Sinamahoning, Hickory Kingdom, Luthersburgh and Cherry Tree. In 1828 Revs. Jas. Lanks and Zach. Jordan were on this circuit and preached every four weeks. In 1830 Rev. Oliver Ague was the pastor and preached at each of the above appointments once in every six weeks. In 1831 Rev. Peter McEnally was the pastor, who labored part of the year, but finally became discouraged with the members because they neither attended the means of grace nor supported the gospel ; he became disgusted and burned the class-book and bade them all good-bye. In 1832 the Baltimore Conference dropped Luth‑

 

 

 

 

Page 465

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

ersburgh and vicinity. It was at about this time that two circuit riders, one a Rev. Blake, and the name of the other is not remembered, traveled on a four weeks' circuit, receiving about $100 per year, supplied Luthersburgh and vicinity until in 1833, when Luthersburgh was taken up by the Pittsburgh Conference and added to the Brookville mission. In 1835 the territory comprising the Pittsburgh Conference was divided, and Brookville mission was transferred to Erie Conference. In 1836 Revs. J. K. Hallock and J. R. Lock were the first missionaries sent to Brookville mission, including Luthersburgh. In 1841 the Luthersburgh class commenced building a church. In 1842 Brookville mission was divided into Redbank charge and Luthersburgh mission. In 1845 John K. Coxson and H. M. Chamberlin were the pastors ; Coxson afterward a printer and lawyer in Punxsutawney, Pa. In 1851 Luthersburgh was made a " charge," with about seven appointments ; West Liberty was an appointment in '54 to '55 ; in '56 the parsonage was completed ; in 1860 the first church record was commenced ; in '63 Troutville was added to charge ; New Salem was made an appointment in 1860. From '63 to '71 the congregation moved along in a seeming " rut " ; lowest and highest memberships during this period were fifty and one hundred and eighty. In 1871 a church building was commenced at Salem ; amount of subscription (for the building), $1,200. During the same year the present church edifice at Luthersburgh was commenced ; amount of subscription for the purpose was $5,600 ; Rev. L. G. Merrill, pastor. In 1872 " a heavy financial cloud hung over the New Salem and Luthersburgh societies." Troutville and another appointment were dropped. The winter of 1872 to '73 being a long and severe one, church attendance was meager. New Salem church was completed in spring of '73 at a cost of $2,250, and dedicated March 16, '73, by P. E. Rev. J. R. Lyson. The Luthersburgh church was completed and dedicated June 1, '73 ; T. C. Pershing, D. D., preached dedication sermon ; cost of building $12,664.32, which amount was nearly all provided for on day of dedication. The furniture cost $2,225. Capt. L. B. Carlile was the leading worker and spirit in erection of the new building.

 

     All Sunday-schools prior to 1872 had been organized as union schools, opening in the spring and closing in the fall ; denominational schools were declared to be absurd. The pastor (D. W. Wampler), urging the change, was denounced as selfish and bigoted, and even some of his own members would not hear him preach or support him, denouncing him as a raving sectarian ; but the Luthersburgh society organized its Sunday-school according to discipline of the M. E. Church. Church membership of Luthersburgh society in '73 was one hundred ninety-three. In 1878 the old parsonage was sold and proceeds applied on church debt ; during the same year the church debt was liquidated. In 1882 a new parsonage was built ; cost of lot and house about $1,800; membership in '84 was about eighty ; present membership about same ; a prosperous Sunday-school in connection with church.

 

 

 

 

Page 466

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

     Presbyterian Church.—This denomination did not maintain its early foot­hold in the township through the efforts of its visiting ministers. Rev. Ander­son, above cited as the first minister who preached in the township, was followed by the Rev. Garry Bishop, from Clearfield, who preached the Presbyterian doctrine at Luthersburgh between the years of 1835 to '40. Rev. Betts (father of Senator Betts) organized a congregation. In this class were Benj. Bonsall, Wm. Wallace, Roswell Luther, Samuel Postlethwait (father of S. and Jos.), David Dressler, Mr. — Anthony, John Seyler, and others. The Presbyterians, by paying sixty dollars to the Lutheran Church, had the privilege to worship in it by arranging their appointment so as not to conflict with the other congregation, but a few years later the organization was dissolved and has not been reorganized.

 

     Evangelical Lutheran Church ( German).—About the year 1833 the German missionary, Rev. John Althaus (above mentioned) established an organization of members of the German Reformed and Evangelical Lutheran faith among the German settlers, at and near Luthersburgh, holding their services in private houses and barns, until 1842, when this so-called " Vereinigte " (united) congregation built a church of hewn logs, at the west side of the Union cemetery, three miles west of Luthersburgh on the Punxsutawney road. The almost exact spot where this building stood is marked by a sturdy red oak tree which was a mere sapling then. Prior to and during the year 1851, the members of this mixed congregation could no further agree, and a division or separation took place ; the Lutherans as well as the Reformed organized separate congregations. In 1852 the Lutherans built a church, an edifice with cathedral-like minarets, two and one-half miles west of Luthersburgh on Punxsutawney road. It was dedicated October 17, 1852. This congregation, like most pioneer churches, had its misunderstandings and consequent estrangement of some members ; but time healed all differences, And in 1879 to '8o the congregation decided that they needed a new church edifice, and accordingly built a commodious house of worship, sixty by forty, with vestibule. It is a plank building, plastered, and surmounted by a neat steeple seventy-five feet high. The house was dedicated December 5, 1880, by the present pastor, Rev. C. Engelder ; present membership about two hundred, and a Sunday-school in con­nection.

 

     Reformed Church ( German).—What has been said of the Lutheran congregation up to 1851 applies equally to the Reformed congregation, as their interests up to that date were mutual and identical. Rev. Althaus was a Reformed minister. His regular successor, Rev. Engelbach, leaned toward the Reformed tenets, although he passed as " Evangelisch Vereint," (Evangelical United). About this time (1851) Rev. Engelbach resigned, and was succeeded by Rev. Brandt, a pronounced and radical Lutheran. The advent of Rev. Brandt hastened and precipitated the separation of the Reformers from the

 

 

 

 

Page 467

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

Lutherans, and after the erection of the new house of worship by the Lutherans, who, also, tore down and removed the old Union building, the Reformers commenced the erection of a church of their own. In 1853 the foundation and corner-stone was laid, and in the year following (1854) the church was dedicated as " Trinity-Reformed Church." Rev. C. A. Limberg was called (and accepted) the same year. The building committee consisted of Fred. Wingert, H. Lott, sr., and Michael Schuker, sr. Besides these, the following also were among the members at the organization of the congregation : Fred Zeigler, Conrad Mehrwein, sr., Adam Weis, George and Fred Buchheit, Jacob Weber and his sons, Jacob, Henry and Peter, J. J. Weber, John Weber, Christ. Haag, sr., Mr. Aurand, George Schucker, Lewis Kuntz, Jacob Hummel, sr., Peter Shafer, Jacob Mehrwein, John Ergott, and others. In 1855 or 1856 a Sunday-school, under the care of the church, was established, both in the German and English languages. Rev. Limberg labored successfully for ten years, when he resigned and accepted a call at Butler, Pa. The following pastors have served this congregation, since 1854 to the present time, in the order given : Revs. H. Bielfield, Paul Wald, L. Christ, H. Hoffmeier, John Wolbach, and B. S. Metzgar. Present membership about three hundred ; Sunday-school about one hundred.

 

     Evangelical Lutheran ( English ).—In the year 1832 the general synod of the Lutheran Church presented Father Phil. Geulich (residing at Clearfield) with a "Book of Sermons" in the German language, who, once in each month during 1832 and 1833, came to Luthersburgh to read a sermon from this book, which was listened to with reverence and attention. It was, at this time, that Rev. John Althaus, the Reformed pioneer minister, made his appearance, who preached rather regularly in the old "round" log church and school-house, which had been built prior to his coming. In 1842 the German Lutherans and Reformers built a union church, between Luthersburgh and Troutville. During the time from 1833 to 1842 Revs. John Willox, Gotwald and others preached. During this period Rev. John Willox gave catechetical instruction in the English language. In September, 1843, Rev. George J. Donmeyer organized the " St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran" congregation of Luthersburgh, Pa. He became its pastor ; William Rishel and Henry Goodlander were elected elders ; Peter Arnold and Elias Rishel, deacons, Peter Arnold serving as secretary. In 1845 a frame church, 40 by 40 feet, was built—still standing. It was this church in which the Presbyterians worshiped, by paying sixty dollars into the building fund, which secured for them the privilege. In Novem­ber, 1845, Rev. J. A. Nuner took charge of the pastorate. He served till October, 1847. Rev. P. P. Lane followed, serving till about 1850, when there occurred a vacancy, lasting till 1852, when Rev. Christ. Diehl became the regular pastor, serving till the early part of 1856, when he was succeeded by Rev. W. H. Rex, who served two years. He was followed by Rev. J. J. Stein, who

 

 

 

 

Page 468

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

only served a few months, when Rev. Joseph R. Focht became the pastor, in May, 1858, and resigned in May, 1860. In 1861 Rev. Joseph Welker served a short time. Rev. J. H. Bratton was pastor during 1862 and 1863. A vacancy occurred till sometime in 1867, when Rev. S. S. Stouffer took charge for about two years. During the long vacations of 1870-71 Jacob A. Clutz, a student in the theological seminary at Gettysburg, served the congregation as a supply. During the summer vacation of 1872 Abraham G. Fastnacht served as a supply. After being without a pastor for nearly four years, Rev. E. Manges was called and accepted in March, 1873, who resigned in December, 1877. Early in 1873 lots were secured by F. K. Arnold, and during the summer of the same year a parsonage was built. During the pastorate of Rev. E. Manges, one hundred and sixteen members were added to this congregation. Rev. J. T. Gladhill became pastor of the charge in 1879, and resigned in February, 1882. During his pastorate the remaining debt on the parsonage was liquidated (amount $1,114), and membership increased. In May, 1883, Rev. W. Selner became pastor. During his pastorate the present new church edifice was erected (1883), at a cost of $5,000. The building committee consisted of D. Goodlander, J. H. Edinger, T. F. Rishel, and J. L. Seyler ; architects, D. P. Frampton & Co.; size of building, 4o by 54, with steeple one hundred feet high. It was dedicated November 18, 1883. Accessions to the congregation during Rev. Selner's pastorate to the present, fifty-nine. Present membership in prosperous condition, and an interesting Sunday-school in connection. In 1878 Rev. E. Manges organized an Evangelical Lutheran (general synod) congregation at Troutville. This congregation built a neat little church in 1885, and is known as St. Paul's. Present membership, twenty ; Sunday-school (union) members, about fifty scholars. In 1869 or 1870 Jacob Kuntz bought the old school-house (the one built in 1853), which he tendered to nearly all kinds of gatherings, and especially to the Lutheran congregation before they had their own house of worship—this old " rendezvous " was latterly known as " St. Jacob's Temple."

 

     Baptist Church Association.—In 1842 a class of ten or twelve members was organized under the pastoral care of Elder S. Miles (the Baptist pioneer minister of the county). He continued to be their pastor for several years, when he resigned. The church was reduced by removals and deaths, and soon after disbanded, the remnant uniting with Soldier Run Church, Reynoldsville, Pa.

 

     Evangelical Association.—The first Evangelical preacher was Rev. Mathias Howart, who visited the county in 1830, and preached a couple of times at the house of Henry Reams. Next came Rev. Solomon Altimus, and preached once or twice, followed by D. N. Long and Joseph Weaver (Evangelical preachers) a year or two later made their appearance and preached several times at the house of Henry Reams, but the prospects were not very encour­aging and the effort was discontinued until in the year 1852, when Rev. Jacob

 

 

 

 

Page 469

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

Rank, during the summer and fall preached every four weeks in Lott's school-house, about two miles west of Troutville, and in February following appointed a protracted meeting in the old unoccupied house on the Kohler farm, and during this meeting some twenty persons were converted, of which number Adam Glaser was the first. A goodly number then joined the church, and Rev. John Reams was appointed class leader, February 27, 1853. During the following summer a school-house was built at Troutville, and soon after religious services were regularly held there, and a Sunday-school was also established by Rev. John Reams. For the use of said house, firewood for the public school was furnished by him and a few others. In 1859 the Evangelical house of worship was built in Troutville, and for a number of years religious services were generally in the German language, but this finally merged altogether into English. The association has still an organization and regular services.

 

     Societies.—Literary and debating societies found favor prior to 1860. Troutville and vicinity had a debating club (German) which used to meet at the Black Horse Tavern, kept by Adam Knarr, prior to 1860, and discussed such weighty (?) questions as : Which is the mother of the chick, the hen which laid the egg, or the one that hatched it ? and, Which is the stronger element— fire or water ? etc. During the winter of 1868 or '69 there was a society organized at Luthersburg, having physical and mental improvement in view. This society had the spacious title of United Brethren of Progress. Then, shortly after (winter of 1869-70) Troutville supported a literary society in which Jno. Carlile, Henry Sykes, sr., L. Schuch, S. G. Kuntz, P. S. Weber, J. C. Keller, J. M. Carlile and others took an active part. The question : " Resolved, that woman shall be granted equal rights with man," attracted consid­erable attention in the earnest and able manner in which this debate was conducted. From this period to the present time, literary societies both at Luthersburg and Troutville are kept in operation, and maintaining a high standard.

 

     I. 0. 0. F.—Mingle Lodge No. 753, I. 0. 0. F., was instituted at Troutville, February 17, 1871, with the following charter members : H. E. Ginter, noble grand ; H. W. Schoch, vice-grand ; J. C. Keller, secretary ; J. M. Miller, assistant secretary ; George Knarr, treasurer ; William Null, Charles Miller, sr., Israel Frantz and P. B. Weaver. The lodge was moved to Luthersburgh November 17, 1871, on account of the smallness of the hall at Troutville, but was removed to the latter place August 2, 1884, occupying their new and commodious hall, owned by the order ; membership in good standing, 49; lodge in flourishing condition ; no debts, and handsome surplus in the treasury.

 

     Good Templars.—This temperance society flourished in the township from 1868 to 1870, but finally lost prestige and ceased to exist.

 

     Patrons of Husbandry.—The first grange in the county was organized at

60

 

 

 

 

Page 470

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

Troutville in March, 1874, and at its " out start " promised great results, but it early commenced to languish, and finally after an existence of (about) three years disbanded.

 

     Bands.—Luthersburgh used to support a martial and string band, say from 1855 to about 1865, of which Major M. H. Luther was leader ; no band at Luthersburgh now.

 

     Troutville Silver Cornet Band.—Through the efforts and instigation of J. C. Schoch and others, an interest was aroused looking toward the organization of a brass band. At a meeting on May 5, 1883, an organization was effected and brass instruments procured. Professor John Volkwein was the first leader, This band now has fourteen silver instruments. The present leader is George W. Miller. The citizens of Troutville and vicinity appreciate the efforts of this band, which enjoys fair future prospects.

 

     The southwest end of Brady township was early designated as "Germany." This sobriquet was pleasantly brought to the writer's notice while he was gathering data for this history, by hearing the Troutville Silver Cornet Band (in its room) play " Die Wacht am Rhein."

 

     Hotels.—The first tavern, as hotels were then called, was opened by Lebbeus Luther shortly after settling at Luthersburgh, in 1820. Later he sold to Jacob Flick, who continued in the business until about 1839, when Joseph Fulton succeeded him. Fulton was followed by. William Irvin, and he by P. W. Barrett. The lower house, where D. Goodlander's "Merchants" Hotel now stands, was first kept by Conrad Best, followed by Judge William Foley. Foley was followed by Daniel Barrett, and he by his son, Lewis. George W. Long kept what is to-day known as the Schwem House. In 1863 he was followed by the Evanses, and they by the present proprietor, William Schwem, jr. In 1863 to 1864 Frederick Korb kept what was known as the Eagle Hotel, now occupied as a tenement and office. In about 1853 Wilson Moore built the " Merchant's " (now Goodlander's). Moore was succeeded by Wallace & Shaw, they by David Johnston, Johnston by James Zeigler, he by H. Witten­myer, when it finally passed into the hands of D. Goodlander, the present owner, who keeps it as a temperance house.

 

     In 1855 Henry Goodlander took charge of the old " Salem " tavern, succeeding Thomas Montgomery. Mr. Goodlander kept this well known hostelry until his death (1883).

 

     In 1845 Jacob Trautwein started the first hotel at Troutville. About 1855 he sold to William Schwem, sr., Schwem sold to Frederick Zeigler, he to George Knarr, the present owner. This house is now occupied as a dwelling. The second hotel was started in 1854 by Adam Knarr, known as the " Black Horse Tavern." The "Traveler's Home" stands on the site of the old tavern, and is owned by Adam Knarr. It was an extremely difficult task to secure data on this subject, and may be defective on that account. As a reminiscence

 

 

 

 

Page 471

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

it may be remarked : Little or no beer was sold prior to 1860, and whisky was served in tumblers at three cents a glass.

 

     Sunday-Schools.—A Union Sunday-school was organized at Luthersburg in 1833 or 1834, being the first in the township, and Jacob Kuntz in 1835 gathered together the children of the settlement near Troutville and gave them religious instruction in his own private house. He probably did more than any one man in this direction. In June, 1853, a Union Sunday-school was established in the old Kohler house, about one-half mile west of Troutville, by Rev. John Reams, Jacob Kuntz, John Carlile and others. The first officers were : Rev. John Reams, superintendent ; John Glaser, assistant ; John Carlile, secretary ; William McClarren, treasurer This school has remained a Union Sunday-school to this day, and is now under the care of the Evangel­ical Lutheran church at Troutville, but as a union school.

 

POLITICAL REMINISCENCES.

 

     Underground Railroad—A name applied in the United States before the late Civil War to the organized arrangements for aiding negro slaves escaping from their masters, in their passage through the free States. Prior to the breaking out of the great Civil War, in 1861, when the " Fugitive Slave Law " was in force, many fugitive slaves escaped from the South into Canada over a " trail " passing through Brady township, known as the Underground Railroad, having a station in the Grampian Hills (Penn township). It is doubtful whether they had a station in Brady, although fugitives frequently passed through over the W. and E. pike. At one time a negro stopped with Peter Arnold (father of F. K. Arnold, the banker). Mrs. Arnold accused the negro of being a runa­way slave, who became agitated and denied the charge until Mrs. Arnold said, "You need not fear ; you are among friends," when he cheered up and departed in good spirit. In 1848 or 1849 an escaped slave worked for Anthony Hile, on the Susquehanna River (Lumber City now). Wishing to go to Canada, he left Mr. Hile in the night, taking with him one of Mr. Hile's best horses. Coming as far as Coal Hill, Brady township, he became apprehensive of pursuit. He tied the horse to the fence at the edge of the woods, near the residence of Amos Bonsall, who then resided there, and then escaped, or rather hid in the woods, and a few nights later the same negro stole a horse from Godfrey Zilliox, sr. ; being pursued into Jefferson county, became alarmed and left the horse again, but made good his escape.

 

     Brady During the War.—Much misrepresentation has been set adrift, willfully or ignorantly, to the effect that the citizens of Brady were veritable rebels during the Civil War of 1861-65. 1st. That Republicans were not allowed (by the Democrats) to peaceably assemble and discuss the political issues of the day. 2d. That Republicans were not allowed to vote. 3d. That the National flag was frequently torn from its staff. 4th. And lastly, that the

 

 

 

 

Page 472

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

rebel flag was carried in the front of a Democratic procession. All of these assertions are " cut from the whole cloth." They have been submitted to Andrew Pentz, sr., a reputable and respected citizen of Sandy township, and an " ultra " whig before, and a " radical " Republican since the war, and he declares them as untrue. The fact is, many thoughtless and extreme Democrats were carried away with party zeal and made use of boisterous and foolish language, and on the night of the presidential election—Lincoln's re-election —1864, some unknown persons (under cover of night) hanged President Lincoln in effigy at Luthersburgh, but nothing terminated at any time in the heat of political excitement, in overt acts, as stated in the preceding false assertions. There were but three deserters in Brady during the war, and two were not citizens of the township. There were arrests made in 1865 on the charge of " resisting the draft." As to the truth or falsity of these charges on which the arrests were made, the reader is referred to "The American Bastile " by Senator Marshall, of Philadelphia.

 

     We close the chapter on Brady township by quoting the Clearfield Republican's report of the Woodside Centennial, celebrated at Luthersburgh on July 30, 1885 :

 

     The morning of July 30, 1885, just one hundred years after the first settlement of Brady township and Clearfield county, was a grand one. A cool air fanned the warm morning breezes, and amid the booming of the anvils the birds sang their anthems of praise to the first centennial. Early in the morn­ing the visitors began to arrive, and before nine o'clock the streets were full of busy people driving and walking this way and that. By 9:25 the officers of the day began organizing for the parade, and the air was full of flying dust caused by the busy marshals as they rode this way and that, giving orders to the procession. The late arrival of the Troutville Cornet Band detained the crowd for some time, and it was eleven o'clock before the music of the bands was heard, denoting the commencement of the programme. At the head of the procession rode a number of very savage warriors, and in all the Indian parades we have witnessed, where white persons filled the bill, we think the boys of Brady made the best display of any we have ever seen. Their dress was a good representation of the Indian, and those who were near us during this period of the programme spoke in praising terms of the boys. They were Chincleclamousche and his tribe of Indians leading the way for James Woodside into Clearfield county. Following them there came several marshals of the day, who were very gaudily attired in ribbons and rosettes, and mounted on well groomed, fiery animals. There came next in line about twenty-five more savage looking braves mounted on spirited steeds, and in their perfection of the play some used rope bridles. This was a reality, we thought, as their yells would have made an Apache hunt his wigwam for fear of being annihilated, and as for looks the Choctaws would have been Parisian dudes, as they

 

 

 

 

Page 473

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

were painted for the war-path in great variety of colors. The next scene in the moving throng was the hunter and trapper as he was years ago. He was accompanied by his long-barreled rifle and the brave hound that would stand the fights of a mad stag to protect his master. This was a very good card for the day, and the dress was in accordance with the calling. The next object was an emigrant who was supposed to be on the lookout for a place to " squat." He was driving an ox team hitched to a rickety old wagon, and on the canvass cover were printed several appropriate mottoes for the occasion. The entire family occupied the wagon, and as it passed along the streets one had a good chance to think back to the time when that way of traveling was popular, and then to run down along the later years to the fast flying railway train that carries you a mile a minute. In the rear of the emigrant train rode a representation of James Woodside. It was a good one in the manner of dress, and thus the children of to-day of that section looked upon the founder of their homes. A half-dozen more mounted Indians followed the pioneer, and kept the children laughing and the dust flying by their equestrian feats. The Troutville Cornet Band followed them and discoursed some fine music. The band is composed of sixteen pieces, and considering their amateurness, they did good work. The old reliable Rockton Martial Band came next in the route of procession, and as we listened to those favorite tunes, we dropped off six or eight years and allowed ourselves to think we were about to enjoy one of the old- time Brady Fourths of July, and we felt inspired with a new zeal. Those of the citizens who wished to march in line to the cemetery, followed the Rockton Band. Next to the last body in parade was that excellent musical organization known as the Excelsior Cornet Band of Du Bois. We have often heard these boys play, but not of late years, but they seemed to be doing their best. It has been our pleasure to listen to numerous bands, and among them we may mention the Mexican Band. They can play louder, of course, but they can't play better than the Excelsior. They were followed by the balance of the citizens of the community who wished to march in line to the grave of the one whose name will ever be remembered for the establishing of this part of the grand old Keystone State.

After the assemblage had gathered about the grave of the pioneer, a dirge was played by the Troutville Cornet Band. Rev. Holt, of the Luthersburgh Methodist Episcopal Church, then offered up a prayer. P. S. Weber, esq., of Du Bois, then placed some beautiful flowers upon the long- neglected grave of James Woodside, the pioneer. The flowers were composed of a cross made of beautiful flowers, and as they were laid upon the sainted tomb, Mr. Weber spoke these words, suiting the action to the words : " In memory of James Woodside, who was buried fifty years ago ; these are probably the first flowers ever placed on his grave." Rev. Holt then made a brief address, which was listened attentively to by the vast crowd, and made numerous references to the

 

 

 

 

Page 474

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

pioneer for his bravery in establishing a home for those who followed. The Excelsior Band then played a dirge which was rendered in excellent style. Photographer Beard, of Du Bois, was on the ground at this stage of the proceedings, and took a view of the grave and crowd. Rev. Holt then adjourned the proceedings at the cemetery, and requested all to meet in Goodlander's grove, but a short distance from the cemetery, where the balance of the programme of the day would be concluded.

 

     Arriving at the grove we found the same old picnic ground where so many of our happy days were passed. After an absence from this favorite spot for nearly six years, the scene looked much the same to us. Prof. W. S. Luther, of Du Bois, came to the front of the stand and called the assemblage to order, and then announced the organization of the day, as follows:

 

     President, Samuel G. Kuntz. Vice-presidents, Grier Bell, sr., Erasmus Morey, of Elk county ; Jacob Kuntz, John Carlile, Frederick Zeigler, Major Martin H. Luther, Rev. Wilder, Rev. John Reams, Asaph Kirk, David Dunlap, sr., J. J. Weber, W. F. Johnson, John W. Hollopeter, John Rumbarger, James C. Barrett, Andrew Pentz, sr., Daniel W. Moore and David C. Dress­ler. Secretaries, Elijah Ashenfelter and Dr. R. V. Spackman.

 

     The president then announced the object of the meeting, and introduced P. S. Weber, of Du Bois, who read the following poem, written for the Du Bois Courier, by a rising and promising young man :

 

JAMES WOODSIDE.

 

I785- JULY 30-1885.

 

One hundred years ago to-day

A brave and daring pioneer,

Amid these hills had found his way,

With beating heart that knew no fear.

 

The wild birds sang among the trees,

The brooks were hid by ferns and moss ;

The leaves waved in the gentle breeze,

And fiercer winds their boughs would toss.

 

The growling wolf and hungry bear,

Crossed o'er his dark and lonely way ;

The dismal wood seemed as to dare

The hunter in the gloom to stay.

 

He traveled on, o'er rock and dale,

Until a wigwam in a glen

He found, and there he told his tale
To all the wild and dusky men.

 

He told of dangers he had met,

The cold and hunger he had borne ;

They welcomed him, and for him sat

An earthen pot of Indian corn.

 

 

 

 

Page 475

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

They promised peace with him to keep,

As long as he would 'mongst them dwell,

To fish, to hunt, and with him sleep,

And 'round the camp-fires, stories tell.

 

For two and twenty years he stayed

Among the children of the wood,

Ere other white men here had strayed,

And on this lonely ground had stood.

 

The Indian 's gone, with bow and spear,

And white men here have come to stay

Since came the hardy pioneer,

One hundred years ago to-day!

 

     Space will not permit us to give Mr. Weber's address in full. We will, therefore, excerpt such portions as will be of the most general interest. His subject was, " An Historical Sketch of James Woodside, Esq."

 

     " After explaining the term Pioneer,' and classifying him with Columbus, Lord Baltimore, William Penn and others, he launched this query : What may have been Woodside's ambition and expectations ? In settling here, and living in his lonely log-cabin for twenty-two long and weary years without a single smile from a white man's face ?'

 

     " He who looks back to the history of mankind will often see that it is not always he who sows that will reap the golden fruit of after years. So it was in our hero's case, whose personal appearance, habits, character and prowess, we shall now briefly consider.

 

     " James Woodside, esq., was born in this country, 1749, was of Irish descent, was thirty-six years old when he settled here, he came from that part of Chester county which now constitutes Montour county. He was five feet, eight inches high, rather sparely built, weighed about one hundred and forty pounds, had dark brown hair, with florid complexion ; all of which betoken that he was of the ' vital-mental ' temperament, which indicates brilliancy of intellect and sound health. He possessed a fair education—for his times—was rather reserved in conversation, but always cogent and to the point. His first visit prior to his settling here in 1785, was in company with a squad of surveyors, as chain carrier, he afterward acquired two 500 acre Lottery War­rants,' (so-called). Nothing, to-day, is known of his relatives, save that a nephew of his visited him several times, the last time about two years before our subject's death. Said nephew, as far as is known, succeeded to his estate.

 

     " Daniel Ogden settled near Clearfield in 1797, who, by the way, was the first man who settled in Clearfield county with family ; (Mr. Woodside was, and remained a bachelor). The second settler after Woodside, in Brady township, was Joab Ogden, in 1807, at what is now known as Carlile Station, on the R. & P. R. R. Next came the Scheffers, in 1812, and settled at what is to-day the first ward of Du Bois. Next came Erasmus Morey, who is with

 

 

 

 

Page 476

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

us to-day, eighty-nine years old. He was followed by Mr. Lebbeus Luther, founder of Luthersburgh, in 1820. Then came Jacob Kuntz, who is also with us, eighty-eight years of age. He was followed by the Knarrs, Weisgerbers, Yoas, Wingerts, and others.

 

     " Our hero died in December, 1834, at the ripe and advanced age of eighty-five years, in the identical log-cabin built by himself on his improvement, and lies in his peaceful sleep beside a fourteen-year-old sister of Major M. H. Luther, whom he had nursed and dandled on his knees in her infancy. He became much attached to her, and on the occasion of her death requested to be buried by her side, which favor was granted him one brief year after.

 

     " He himself, hauled head and foot stones for the grave of his beloved young friend, and also for his own. In the course of years a wild cherry tree sprang up at the foot of his grave, standing as a sentinel, guarding what was earthly of the noble pioneer. Here is a question for scientists : How much of the material body of James Woodside has been absorbed by this cherry tree? Who knows but much of the physical part of our centennial friend may have been absorbed by that tree and wafted by its branches and leaves as showers of blessings over his followers in Brady township ?"

 

     In continuation, Mr. Weber introduced the following comparisons with " then and now " :

 

     " Since then our population in the United States has increased from 4,000,000 to over 50,000,000. Now, the border of civilization moved from the western line of Pennsylvania to the Pacific Ocean. Since then the rise, glory and ruin of the first and second French Empires have become a thing of the past. Nearly every kingdom, dynasty, principality and power in Europe has been revolutionized, subverted and reconstructed. In our own beloved country, the War of 1812, Mexican war, and the greatest of all civil wars, have passed into history, and to-day the union of States stands firmer than ever before. Since then the rights and powers of kings and potentates have been restricted and limited, and the rights and liberties of its subjects enlarged, established and secured. The rise, progress and development of the steam engine—in its application to manufactures and modes of travel by land, water, lakes, oceans, mountains and deserts with a speed outstripping the wind, and with such resistless force as laughs at storms, winds and waves—has been perfected.

 

     " The sun now, as we have just seen in the cemetery, [he refers here to the photographer, who is spoken of in another place], paints the portraits of friends we love; lightning carries our messages to the ends of the world with a speed out-running the sun in his daily journey, and by telephone, while sitting in our

 

 

 

 

Page 477

BRADY TOWNSHIP.

 

chamber at Luthersburgh, you converse, as face to face, with your friend at Bellefonte, Clearfield or other towns.

 

     " The scientists, philosophers or prophet who had then dared to dream of crossing the American Continent or the Atlantic Ocean in seven days ; of conversing with his friend in London, Berlin and Paris, would have been regarded by the wise men in Woodside's early days as an idle dreamer or a lunatic. Since his days we have pierced the bowels of the earth, and the rocks have poured us out rivers of oil !

 

     " Far away in the distant past, James Woodside remembered the day when ground was first broken for the Erie Canal, and then after long and weary years, he remembered the sight of the canal boat (in general). How bright (to him and others of his day), the world was then ; what a grand sight that old dingy canal boat was to the world ! What golden visions of commercial prosperity delighted their hopeful imaginations ! How sweet to their boyish ears was the music of the mellow horn' of the old boat, as it proudly plowed its way (at the rate of five miles an hour) through the water, and settled safely in its dock where, like some old tired horse, it was securely tied to a dilapi­dated fence post.

 

     " Few of the beloved forms then instinct with life and joy, now remain to greet us ; delightful and many sad memories crowd in upon our minds as we congratulate the people of Brady township and Clearfield county upon the one hundredth anniversary of the settlement of Brady township, by the revered James Woodside.

 

     " Brady township holds the sacred and honored dust of our brave and noble pioneer. She will honor herself by guarding it, by rearing a plain granite shaft to his memory. So that those who are yet to be, can point with respect and pride to the resting place of what was mortal of Clearfield county's sainted pioneer."

 

     Prof.W. S. Luther was then introduced to speak on the " Early Settlers of Clearfield County," but it being late he gave up his time to Gen. Patton, who spoke at length of " The Rise and Progress of Clearfield County." This address was listened attentively to by the large crowd, and the speaker carried his hearers away back to times that but a few of those present remembered.

 

     D. C. Gillespie, esq., our newly appointed deputy internal revenue collector, was then introduced and spoke at length on " The Patriotism of Our People.'

 

     The monument suggested at the close of the writer's address, was unveiled on July 30, 1886, just one year after the " centennial," with much enthusiasm and the usual speech-making.

61

 

 

 

 

   

Return to Top of Page

 

Return To Clearfield County Main Index Page

 

Ellis Michaels, Clearfield County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager

 

 

Copyright 1997-2008, USGenWeb Archives