Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives

Clearfield County

History of Clearfield County

by

Lewis Cass Aldrich

published 1887

 

Chapter 16

 

Copyright

This page was last updated on 23 Apr 2011

Contribute

 

 
 
 

 

HIST0RY
OF
CLEARFIELD COUNTY
PENNSYLVANIA

WITH ILLUSTRATIONS AND BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
OF SOME OF ITS PROMINENT MEN AND PIONEERS

EDITED BY
LEWIS CASS ALDRICH

SYRACUSE, N. Y.
D. MASON & CO., PUBLISHERS
1887

 

 Chapter 16

Pages

256

257

258

259

260

261

262

263

264

265

266

267

   

R. V. Wilson

 

 

printer friendly version of this page

 

 

 

Page 256

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.
 

CHAPTER XVI.
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.

BY PRESTON WILSON, M. D.
 


     WHO was the doctor that came first to Clearfield county ? This question naturally arises before all others, and the answer is found in what information can now be gained concerning Dr. Samuel Colman. For his history - which is interesting - the writer is mostly indebted to the Raftsmans Journal of May 25, 1859. It says : “ Dr. Samuel Colman was a man of ability. Though eccentric in his habits, which, as he was taciturn and indisposed to take any one into his confidence, were known to but few, he had a warm heart. Of his early history nothing is known. He was supposed to have been the son of an English nobleman, who, for some reason, did not acknowledge his paternity, but who provided the means to insure him a superior education and maintenance. Colman was never known to speak of his birth place or parentage. He would sometimes remark, “ at the place where I was raised, was done,” and “ the woman who raised me, did ” so and so. He practiced medicine for some years at Williamsport, where he acquired considerable reputation. As he was known by some of the early settlers, to whom he had formed an attachment, he would occasionally, when his services were needed, come up to administer to their wants. Not liking the practice of medicine, he removed here, and settled near the residence of his friend Joseph Boone, where he cleared out the farm now in possession of Thomas Dougherty in Penn township. He called his farm Grampian Hills, because of the resemblance which his neighborhood bore to those celebrated hills of Scotland ; and this has since given rise to the name of one of the most thriving and productive agricultural settlements in the county. Here he labored with his hands, gaining his bread “ in the sweat of his face,” and only visiting the sick bed when his services were deemed indispensable. In the earlier part of his career, he was never known to use profane language and invariably reproved the use of it by others. He led a single life, and died at the early age of forty years, on his farm, where it was his request to be buried “in the middle of a large field,-habited in his
best suit of clothes, including hat, boots, and spurs,-without a stone to mark his resting place, and where the plow might ever after move over his remains.” He came to Clearfield county in 1808, and died in 1819.

     Dr. J. P. Hoyt, a native of Troy, N. Y., came to Curwensville in 1819. He died March 1, 1885. He took a prominent part as a physician in the great epidemic of 1824, of which mention is made below.


     Dr. Alexander McLeod, while living in Phillipsburg, began to practice medicine in Clearfield in 1824, during the epidemic of dysentery then at this

 

 

 

 

Page 257
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.

 

place, which destroyed enetire families.  A certain writer has this to say concerning it: "1824 was a memorable year in Clearfield county.  Mounds convering the remains of the young, the middle-aged and the old in every place of sepulcher in the county are sad monuments of that period.  Along the valley of the West Branch, and on the highlands, an epidemic dysentery raged like the pestilence.  Whole families were prostrated, and scarce a family escaped without losing one or more of its members.  Anxiety and alarm sat on every countenance. He alone who was without friends and kindred mourned not broken ties. Dr. John P. Hoyt and Dr. McLeod, who came out and made his headquarters at Job Packer’s tavern, were untiring in their exertions in allaying the consternation which had spread through the community, and ministering to the relief of the afflicted. During the prevalence of the epidemic, these physicians were on the go day and night in the saddle. For four weeks, Dr. McLeod could not return home. Often worn out by fatigue, he slept in his saddle, and at times tying his horse out of sight, he caught a short repose in a barn or by the roadside. For a whole month he was a Nazarite by compulsion as he could not find time to shave.” Dr. McLeod resigned the profession of medicine in 1843 and entered the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal church. He died in 1877 at Meadville, Pa.

     In 1826, Dr. A. T. Schryver came to Clearfield, but did not begin the practice of medicine till 1830. In 1854, he was elected superintendent of common schools for this county at the first election held for that position. In the early part of his professional career, he practiced for a while at Glen Hope.

     Dr. Henry Lorain located as a physician in Phillipsburg in 1825, but he practiced a great deal in this county, driving over frequently. He removed to Clearfield in 1835, where he died March 3, 1859. A tribute to his memory thus speaks of him : “ Professional eminence crowned the life and labors of Dr. Lorain. Enjoying at the outset as a student of medicine distinguished advantages, he laid the foundation of what proved afterwards to be a long, useful and honorable career. Thirty-five years of professional toil and devotion secured him a name and a place high up in the roll of medical men. As the brother-in-law and pupil of the late Prof. Dewees, of the University of Pennsylvania, he sat at the feet of a great medical Gamaliel. Most men in most vocations have individuality. Dr. Lorain was distinguished by marked traits, admirable in his profession. To be sent for, to be called in, was for him to go at once. Nothing delayed or prevented him. Dispatch was not only the word, but the act. Quick to decide, and generally prompt to execute, he would go, prescribe, and possibly be half way back before many a tardy practitioner would be well on the way. He accomplished a great deal in a short time. Delay or inattention were never laid to his charge. The summons to the bedside of the poor was obeyed with as much alacrity as that to the more favored of fortune-and their grateful tears bedew his memory. Though his

 

 

 

 

Page 258
HISTORT OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.



field of labor was wide and rough, he never hesitated. His habit was energy, and so it continued to be until his bodily infirmities began to bear upon him.”

     Dr. Lewis Iddings located at Curwensville in 1827, where he remained several years, and then moved away. He was always regarded as a successful physician.

     Dr. Perdue came to Clearfield in 1834 ; he moved away after a few years.

     Dr. Henry Houtz, a brother of Dr. Daniel Houtz, who was the founder of Houtzdale, practiced a short time in Curwensville and Clearfield some where in the decade between 1837 and 1847.

     Dr. Matthew Woods, a native of Penn’s Valley, Center county, located at Curwensville in 1844. In 1856 he removed to Clearfield where he remained in active practice for ten years. Then he went to Mercer, Pa., where he resided until his death on December 16, 1868.

     Dr. William P. Hills, a native of Prattsburg, N. Y., located in Clearfield in the spring of 1846, and practiced about six years, then went West where he died June, 1885.

     Dr. John C. Richards practiced medicine in Curwensville from the fall of 1846 to the spring of 1851. Then he moved to Bloomington where he practiced two years. He practiced after this near Glen Hope until 1859, and now resides in Philipsburg, Centre county, Pa.

     Dr. James Irwin, a native of Centre county, now residing in Wyoming Territory, practiced medicine during the years 1847 and 1848 at Curwensville.

     Dr. R. V. Wilson, a native of Centre county located in Curwensville in 1850. He soon after moved to Clearfield where he passed the rest of his life. He was widely and favorably known, and enjoyed a very large practice. A distinguished gentleman, who was a warm friend of his, gave this tribute : “ Dr. Wilson ranked with the first men in this section of the State as a man of talent, intelligence, and polite accomplishments. In his profession he had attained to marked eminence, and was held in the highest esteem by the medical profession, not only in this locality, but in many parts of the State, and especially by such eminent men as Drs. Gross and Pancoast, of Philadelphia. This high appreciation was manifested mainly by the frequent calls that were made upon him for his opinion and advice in cases of rare difficulty in the line of his profession.” He died February 13, 1878.

     Dr. Thomas R. Blandy, a native of Delaware, began the practice of medicine about the year 1851, at Osceola, and practiced in that region and at Houtzdale till 1881, when he removed to Huntingdon, Pa., where he died April 21, 1885. He was a good physician, and held in the highest esteem.

     Dr. Hardman Thompson, a native of Clearfield, came to Curwensville to practice medicine in 1851. He studied medicine under Dr. Loraine, and bore the reputation of being a remarbably [sic] diligent student, which he sustained all his life. He had an abundant practice, and was highly esteemed both as a physician and as a citizen and a friend. He died September 19, 1866.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Page 259

THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.

 

     Dr. G. W. Caldwell, a native of Union county, Pa., established himself as a physician in 1851 at Beccaria Mills, from which place he shortly afterwards moved to Glen Hope, where he lived till his death, October 5, 1885.  He was regarded as a man possessing a high order of intellect.  His practice was large and lucrative, extending over an area sixty miles in diameter.  Many of the older residents of Cambria and Clearfield counties well recall his timely visits made by day and night during the years gone by.

     Dr. Thomas J. Boyer, a native of Bernville, Berks county, Pa., located at Luthersburg in 1853, where he practiced medicine until 1868, when he removed to Clearfield. He was well known throughout the county in political and professional circles. He represented this district both in the House of Representatives, and in the State Senate. He died October 23, 1882.

     Dr. D. 0. Crouch, a native of Washington county, Pa., first practiced medicine at Luthersburg in 1855. The following year he moved to Curwensville, where he resided until his death, December 26, 1880. The writer of his obituary has these words to say concerning him: “ By the country people I am told he labored without respect to persons, and the poor were never neglected because they were poor, and when we add that in his case the safety of his own health was neglected, and even the burial of his brother, not far away was denied himself, lest he should desert his post in the midst of this unconquerable disease (diphtheria) which has swept so many joys from so many of our homes. We owe a peculiar debt of gratitude to one who has fallen among us in the forefront of the battle, and in a nobler cause than which a soul never gave out its life so nobly. He did not die of diphtheria, but diphtheria killed him. His own sympathetic heart was bound up in his little ones, and death on every hand giving him no rest, death at last gave him eternal rest.”

     Dr. D. A. Fetzer, a native of Clarion county, Pa., began the practice of medicine in Lumber City in December, 1855, where he still resides.

     The Clearfield County Medical Society was organized in 1864, in connection with the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. According to its constitution, “ The objects of this society shall be the advancement of medical knowledge, the elevation of professional character, the protection of the professional interests of its members, the extension of the bounds of medical science, and the promotion of all measures adapted to the relief of suffering, the improvement of the health, and the protection of the lives of the community. This society recognizes as binding upon its members the code of medical ethics as established by the American Medical Association.”

     Below is given, in alphabetical order a list with data of those physicians who have came into the county since 1855. It has been obtained with but few exceptions from the list of registered physicians which is contained in the “ Medical Register. This book is kept in the prothonotary’s office in the

 

 

 

 

Page 260

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

court-house, and, according to the law passed in 1881, physicians are now required to register therein their name, the place of their nativity, places of practice, place of residence, time of continuous practice, and if a graduate when and where they graduated.  There are now practicing in this county about ninety-four registered physicians who are resident.

     Ackley, B. F., a native of Juniata county, Pa. ; places of practice, Lancaster City and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois ; attended lectures at Pennsylvania College 1859-60, and Jefferson Medical College, 1862-63.

     Balliet, L. D., a native of Milton, Pa. ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by Hahneman Medical College, March 10, 1880.

     Baird, J. A., a native of Houtzdale, Pa. ; places of practice, Saxton, Bedford county, Pa., and Houtzdale ; place of residence, Houtzdale, Pa.; degree of M. D. conferred by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Md., March 6, 1878.

     Bailey, S. D., a native of Clearfield county, Pa. ; place of residence, Clearfield, Pa ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, March 27, 1884.

     Barnfield, J. H., a native of Jersey Shore, Pa. ; place of residence, Irvona ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, April 2, 1886.

     Bennett, Ash. D., a native of Linden, Lycoming county, Pa. ; place of residence, New Washington ; degree of M. D. conferred by Pennsylvania Medical College of Philadelphia, March 20, 1860.

     Belcher, E. C., a native of Newark Valley, N. Y. ; places of practice, Newark Valley, N. Y., English Center, Pa., Kylertown, Peale, and Morrisdale Mines ; place of residence, Morrisdale Mines ; degree of M. D. conferred by the Cincinnati College of Medicine, February 26, 1877.

     Bell, J. Finley, a native of Aaronsburg, Centre county, Pa. ; places of practice, Glen Hope and Osceola ; place of residence, Osceola ; degree of M. D. conferred by the Medical Department of the University of the City of New York, March 13, 1873.

     Bollinger, William E., a native of Huntingdon county, Pa. ; places of practice, Cawker, Kansas, Mount Union, Pa., and Coalport; place of residence, Coalport ; degree of M. D. conferred by Bellevue Hospital Medical College, March, 1878.

     Boyer, T. J., jr., a native of Brady township, Clearfield county, Pa. ; place of residence, Madera ; degree of M. D. conferred by the Baltimore Medical College, March 8, 1886.

     Boyles, Robert M., a native of Clarion-county, Pa. ; places of practice, Reynoldsville and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by Cleveland Medical College, February 4, 1869, and Western Reserve College, March 15, 1882.

     Bullock, J. O., a native of Columbia, Bradford county, Pa. ; places of prac-

 

 

 

 

Page 261
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.

 

tice, Canton, McIntyre, and Peale; place of residence, Peale; degree of M. D. conferred by University of City of New York, March, 1872.

     Burchfield, James P., a native of Pennsylvania Furnace, Huntingdon county, Pa. ; places of practice, Philipsburg, U. S. Army, and Clearfield, Pa. ; place of residence, Clearfield, Pa. ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Michigan, March 26, 1862.

     Burchfield, Samuel E., a native of Allegheny county, Pa. ; places of practice, Latrobe, Pa. and Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by Homeopathic Medical Department of University of Michigan, June 30, 1881.

     Bunn, J. McGirk, a native of Shippensburg, Cumberland county, Pa; place of residence, New Washington ; attended lectures at Jefferson Medical College, session of 1846-7.

     Burkhart, S. P., a native of Blair county, Pa. ; places of practice, Altoona, Philipsburg, and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia in 1859, and the University of Pennsylvania, 1872.

     Brockbank, John I., a native of Elk county, Pa. ; place of residence, Luthersburg ; degree of M. D. conferred by Baltimore University School of Medicine, March 4, 1886.

     Calhoun, Grier O., a native of Armstrong county; place of residence, Madera ; degree of M. D. conferred by Baltimore Medical College.

     Cherry, Emel T., a native of Altoona, Pa. ; places of practice, Indianapolis, Ind., Ansonville, and Madera; place of residence, Madera; degree of M. D. conferred by medical college of Indiana, February 28, 1884.

     Cresswell, A. E., a native of Missouri; places of practice, Cherry Tree, Fair View, and Ansonville ; place of residence, near Ansonville ; attended lectures in 1871 and 1872 at the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, and in 1872 at the medical department of University of Michigan.

     Coltman, Robert J., a native of Washington, D. C. ; place of residence, Houtzdale, Pa. ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 12, 1881.

     Corey, Horace M., a native of Tioga county, N. Y. ; places of practice, Sayre, Pa., Waverly, N. Y., Pine City, N. Y., and Peale; place of residence, Peale ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Michigan, March 27, 1878.

     Currier, J., a native of Port Deposit, Md. ; places of practice, Troutville and Pennville ; place of residence, Pennville ; degree of M. D. conferred by Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, Ky., June 28, 1881.

     Davis, Thomas E., a native of Cambria county, Pa. ; place of residence, Burnside; degree of M. D.. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 20, 1867.

     Dyson, William W., a native of Greensburg, Pa. ; places of practice, Chambersburg and Osceola Mills; place of residence, Osceola Mills; degree of M D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 30, 1882.

 

(34)

 

 

 

 

262
HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.


     Elliott, C. B., a native of Mount Savage, Md. ; places of practice, Osceola, Altoona, and Utahville ; place of residence, Utahville ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 14, 1873.

     Edwards, William H., a native of Industry, Me. ; place of residence, Janesville ; degree of M. D. conferred by Bowdoin Medical College of Maine, June 8, 1868.

     Emigh, George W., a native of Morris township, Clearfield county, Pa. ; place of residence, Woodland ; degree of M. D. conferred by University Medical College of New York, March 11, 1884.

     Feltwell, John, a native of Chest township, Clearfield county, Pa. ; places of practice, Little Marsh, Tioga county, Pa., and Houtzdale ; place of residence, Houtzdale; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 12, 1879.

     Gallagher, John A., a native of Osceola Mills, Clearfield county, Pa. ; places of practice, Madera, Loraine, and Houtzdale ; place of residence, Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, April 2, 1886.

     Gifford, Willis B., a native of Lee, Mass. ; places of practice, Attica, Buffalo, N. Y., and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Buffalo, February 23, 1876.

      Gilliland, William S., a native of Centreville, Centre county, Pa. ; places of practice, Central Point, and Congress Hill, Clearfield county, Pa. ; place of residence, Central Point ; attended lectures at the Jefferson Medical College in the winter of 1865-66.

     Good, D. R., retired, a native of Franklin county, Pa. ; places of practice, Altoona and Osceola Mills ; place of residence, Osceola Mills ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, 1858.


     Griffith, Matthew M., a native of York, Pa. ; places of practice, Parsons, Pa., Irwin, N. Y., Bradford and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, March 14, 1867.
 

     Gregory, John A., a native of Alexandria, Huntingdon county, Pa. ; places of practice, Luthersburg and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, April 2, 1883.


     Haines, Jeremiah, a native of New Cumberland, Cumberland county, Pa. ; place of residence, Woodward township ; time of continuous practice, twelve years.


     Hartswick, John G., a native of Boalsburg, Centre county, Pa. ; places of practice, Hublersburg, Pa., and Clearfield, Pa. ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, April 1, 1854.

     Hartwick, T. H., a native of Clearfield, Pa.; place of residence, Clearfield ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, May 2, 1887.

     Henderson, James L., a native of Lewistown, Pa. ; places of practice, Pendleton, O., and Karthaus ; place of residence, Karthaus ; degree of M. D. conferred by Ohio Medical College, March 1, 1882.

 

 

 

 

Page 263
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.


     Hindman, Charles C., a native of Jefferson county, Pa.; places of practice, Clarion county, Jefferson county, and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 11, 1876.


     Hogue, Davis A., a native of Watsontown, Pa. ; places of practice, Glen Hope, Madera, and Houtzdale, Pa. ; place of residence, Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 11, 1875.
 

     Hogue, Herbert J., a native of Watsontown, .Pa. ; places of practice, Du Bois and Coalport; place of residence, Coalport; degree of M. D. conferred by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Md., March 1, 1885

     Hotchkin, Gurdon B., a native of Clinton, Oneida county, N. Y. ; place of residence, Morrisdale Mines ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, March 31, 1855.

     Hurd, Michael E., a native of Clearfield county, Pa.; place of residence, Newburg ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, April 2, 1883.

     Jenkins, George C., a native of Curwensville, Pa. ; place of residence, Curwensville ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, June 14, 1878.

     Kline, John H., a native of Centre county, Pa. ; place of residence, Penfield ; degree of M. D. conferred by Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia, January 24, 1867.

     Lewis, Edward C., a native of Northumberland, Pa. ; place of residence, Penfield, Clearfield county, Pa. ; degree of M. D. conferred by Bellevue Hospital Medical College, March 10, 1881.

     Litz, Jefferson, a native of Clearfield, Pa. ; places of practice, Johnstown, Woodland, and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March, 1862.

     Malay, John D., a native of Ireland; places of practice, Bradford, Emporium, and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by medical department University of Buffalo, N. Y.

     Lydic, Joseph M., a native of East Mahoning, Indiana county, Pa, ; places of practice, Smithport, Pa., and Troutville ; place of residence, Troutville ; attended medical lectures at the University of Ann Arbor during the sessions of 1868-69, and 1869-70.

     Mangon, John M., a native of Ireland; places of practice, Kansas and Houtzdale ; place of residence, Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, 1857.

     Mott, William S., a native of Clearfield county, Pa. ; place of residence, Wallaceton ; degree of M. D. conferred by Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, O., June 2, 1885.

     Maxwell, J. A. ; place of residence, Curwensville ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 10, 1866.

 

 

 

 

Page 264

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.

 

     Means, William A., a native on Punxsutawney; places of Practice, Luthersburg and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, February 3, 1865.

     Miller, S. J., a native of Clearfield county; place of residence, Ansonville ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of City of New York in 1886.

     Mortimer, James I., a native of Clarion county, Pa. ; places of practice, East Brady, Pa., Warren, O., McKean county, Allegheny City and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois ; time of continuous practice, 14 years.

     Murray, John A., a native of Hudson, Jefferson county, Pa. ; places of practice, Ansonville and Mahaffey ; place of residence, Mahaffey ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Maryland, March, 1885.

     Myers, J. G. L., a native of Huntingdon county, Pa. ; places of practice, Burlington, Ind., Hill Valley, Huntingdon county, Pa., Port Matilda, Pa., and Osceola Mills ; place of residence, Osceola Mills ; attended one course of lectures at Ann Arbor University of Michigan, 1887-8.

     Nevling, F. S., a native of Brownsville, Ind. ; places of practice, St. Lawrence, Cambria county, Pa., Glen Hope and Frenchville ; place of residence, Frenchville; degree of M. D. conferred by Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania, January 1, 1870.

     Park, William C., a native of Whitesburg, Pa. ; places of practice, Cochran Mills, Armstrong county, Pa., and New Millport; place of residence, New Millport ; degree of M. D. conferred by Western Reserve University of Cleveland, O., March 12, 1882.

     Park, Milo E., a native of Armstrong county, Pa. ; place of residence, Utahville; degree of M. D. conferred by Medical department of Western Reserve University, March 27, 1884.

     Pettigrew, S. H., a native of Kittaning, Pa.; places of practice, Karns City, Butler county, Pa., and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College.


     Potter, J. W., retired ; a native of Clarion county, Pa. ; practiced at Mulsonburg from 1860 to 1868 ; resides now at Keewaydin, Clearfield county, Pa. ; attended lectures at the National Medical College of Washington, D. C.

     Prowell, George F., a native of Lewisburg, York county, Pa. ; places of practice, Carlisle, Pa., and Burnside ; place of residence, Burnside ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 15, 1871.


     Read, Frederick B., a native of Clearfield, Pa. ; places of practice, Woodland and Osceola Mills ; place of residence, Osceola Mills ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 10, 1867.

     Reese, Oliver P., a native of Centre county, Pa. ; place of residence, Kylertown; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Michigan, March 9, 1865.


     Rhoads, John W., a native of Harrisburg, Va. ; places of practice, Danville, Pa., Tunkhannock, Pa., Northumberland, Pa. and Houtzdale; place of resi-
 

 

 

 

Page 265

THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.

 

dence, Houtzdale; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, March, 1854.

     Ross, J. Miller, a native of Morgantown, W. Va. ; place of residence, Lumber City ; degree of M. D. conferred by Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania, May 5, 1857.

     Scheffer, Julius, a native of Germany ; places of practice, Allegheny county, Pa., Butler county, Pa., McKean county, Pa., Warren county, Pa., Jefferson county, Pa., and Troutville ; place of residence, Troutville ; degree of M. D. conferred by Medical College of Herford, Prussia, May, 1865 ; attended lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, 1867-68.

     Scheurer, E. M., a native of Hanover, York county, Pa. ; places of practice, Bellefonte and Clearfield ; place of residence, Clearfield ; degree of M. D. conferred by Hahneman Medical College, March, 1871.

     Schneider, Charles, a native of Tyrone, Pa. ; places of practice, Winterburn, Driftwood, Cameron county, Pa., and Karthaus; degree of M. D. conferred by College of Physicians and Surgeons, March 1, 1881.

     Smith, Joseph W., a native of York, Pa. ; places of practice, New Oxford, Pa., University Hospital, Philadelphia, and Osceola Mills; place of residence, Osceola Mills; degree of M. D. conferred by Bellevue Hospital Medical College, March 1, 1870.

     Smith, Reuben, a native of Tioga county, Pa. ; places of practice, Elk county, Pa., and Penfield ; place of residence, Penfield; degree of M. D. conferred by American Eclectic College, February 18, 1886.

     Smathers, W. J., a native of Jefferson county, Pa. ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 12, 1873.

     Smead, J. J., a native of Clearfield, Pa. ; places of practice, Chest township and New Washington ; place of residence, New Washington ; time of continuous practice, twenty-three years.

     Stewart, S. C., a native of Bradford township, Clearfield county, Pa. ; places of practice, Woodland and Clearfield ; place of residence, Clearfield ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, March 12, 1881.
 

     Strowbridge, H. P., places of practice, Oil City and Rouseville, Venango county, and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois ; time of continuous practice, twenty-three years.

     Spackman, R. V., a native of Bellefonte, Centre county, Pa. ; place of residence, Luthersburg, Pa. ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March, 1870.

     Sweeny, Daniel H., a native of Peru Village, Clinton county, N. Y. ; places of practice, New Bloomfield, Perry county, Pa., and Clearfield,; place of residence, Clearfield ; time of continuous practice, forty-four years.

     Sweeny, Barnabas, a native of Allegheny county, Pa. ; places of practice, Brookville, Pa. and Du Bois; place of residence, Du Bois ; time of practice, thirty-seven years.

 

 

 

 

Page 266

HISTORY OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY.


     Sweeny, G. B., a native of Latrobe, Pa., place of residence, Du Bois; degree of M. D. conferred by Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons, March 15, 1886.


     Thorn A. I., a native of Clearfield, Pa.; place of residence, Kylertown ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, March 12, 1872.

     Thorn, Paul, a native of Clearfield, Pa. ; place of residence, Kylertown ; degree of M. D. conferred by Baltimore University School of Medicine, March 16, 1867.

     Todd, Fernandez, a native of Summitville, Cambria county, Pa. ; place of residence, Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, March 12, 1875.

     Taylor, J. Richard, a native of Philadelphia ; places of practice, Philadelphia, Breck, Colorado, and Morrisdale Mines; place of residence, Morrisdale Mines; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, 1875.

     Vaughn, John E., a native of Madison, Me. ; place of residence, Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, March 15, 1880.

     Van Fleet, Walter, a native of Piermont, N. Y. ; places of practice, Watsontown and Du Bois ; place of residence, Du Bois ; degree of M. D. conferred by Hahneman Medical College, March 10, 1880.

     Van Valzah, H. B., a native of Millheim, Centre county, Pa. ; place of residence, Clearfield, Pa.; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 12, 1873.

     Wagoner, Edward F., a native of York, Pa. ; places of practice, York, Pa., Manchester, Pa., and Osceola Mills ; place of residence, Osceola Mills ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 29, 1884.

     Walters, J. L., a native of Loretto, Cambria county, Pa. ; place of residence, Houtzdale ; degree of M. D. conferred by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Md., March 1, 1881.

     Wesner, Michael A., a native of Bald Eagle, Blair county, Pa. ; places of practice, Loretto, Pa., Carlton, Pa., and Houtzdale ; place of residence, Houtzdale; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 11, 1876.

     Whittier, G. M., a native of Maine; place of residence, Houtzdale; degree of M. D. conferred by Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York, March 1, 1875.


     Wilson, Preston, a native of Clearfield, Pa. ; place of residence, Clearfield ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, April 2, 1886.


     Wilson, George, a native of Washington, Indiana county, Pa. ; places of practice, Big Run, Pa., Pennville, Pa., and Luthersburg ; place of residence, Luthersburg ; time of continuous practice, thirty-six years.


     Wilson, A. J., a native of Juniata county, Pa. ; places of practice, Osceola Mills and Glen Hope ; place of residence, Glen Hope ; degree of M. D. conferred by University of Pennsylvania, May 10, 1876.
 

 

 

 

Page 267

THE PRESS OF CLEARFIELD COUNTY

 

     Winslow, Byron, a native of Elk county, Pa. ; places of practice, Philadelphia, Clearfield, and Curwensville ; place of residence, Curwensville ; degree of M. D. conferred by Jefferson Medical College, March 12, 1879.


     Wood, Charles D., a native of Elmira, N. Y. ; place of residence, Coalport ; degree of M. D. conferred by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Md., 1880.

 

 

 

   

Return to Top of Page

 

Return To Clearfield County Main Index Page

 

Ellis Michaels, Clearfield County PAGenWeb Archives File Manager

 

 

Copyright 1997-2008, USGenWeb Archives