Gable's 30th Anniversary Souvenir
A Brief History of Altoona and the People's Store
New York City, 2 Walker Street
Chemnitz, Germany, 25 Theatre Strasse
Paris, France, 3 Cite Trevise
Manchester, England, 66 Faulkner Street
St. Gall, Switzerland, 16 Rosenberg Strasse
Contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by Judy Banja
The People's Store And Its Employes
In making our plans for the 30th Anniversary of the People's Store, we had under consideration many different things to use as a souvenir. We wanted something that would he representative of the store and yet would be appreciated by our patrons. After giving the matter much thought, we decided that a booklet containing a brief history of the City of Altoona and portraits of our employes, together with a few facts regarding the store, would make a souvenir that would be in keeping with the importance of our 30th Anniversary and which the people would be pleased to receive.
The very interesting groups of pictures on the following pages are the result of this decision. Practically every employe of the big store on duty at the time the photographs were prepared, is represented. In fact we made a special effort to have every member of the store family included, in some instances making special arrangements to have absent ones report so they could be included in their proper group. All of the photographs have been taken in our new Photographic Studio and the excellence of the finished pictures is a fine recommendation of the quality of the work done in the Studio, which we are told is the largest and most up-to-date Studio between New York and Chicago.
There are approximately 375 employes represented in the different groups, but there are certain seasons of the year when our store family is much larger, the high water mark being reached at the Christmas season when there are as many as 500 people working to serve your interests. It is the aim of the firm to have every one who visits the store treated with the utmost courtesy. We take great pleasure in recording the fact that time and again we are complimented on the manner in which our customers are treated by, the salespeople, which shows that it is their aim to make it just as pleasant for those who trade here as the firm desires it should be. In fact we doubt if there is any store anywhere, whose employes as a whole, are more courteous or give more attention to the trade than is accorded those who come here either as buyer or visitor.
Every one of the 375 employes of the big store add their welcome to that extended on the first page of this booklet, and thank you for having honored us with your presence on this 30th Anniversary of the People's Store.
[H. King MacFarlane, Advertising Manager; Jesse M. Fay, Floor Manager & Buyer of Linens; J. George Anspach, Manager; Howard M. Fleck, Buyer of Women's Coats & Suits; William B. Parker, Buyer of Underwear and Hosiery.]
[AUDITING DEPT. Miss Norine Mountz, Miss Margaret Swoyer, Miss Ruth Fitzgerald, Miss Leota Wagerman. MISS LAURA M. RENNER, Auditor of Sales. JESSE H. WRIGHT, Book-Keeper. BOOKKEEPING DEPT. Clyde C. Cox (Stenographer), Miss Rebekah E. Hill, Miss Bertha Alberts, Mrs. C. W. Smith, Miss Blanche E. McCummons. MAIL ORDER DEPT. Miss Alberta K. Ward, Clair Wishart, Miss Jane A. Craig. MISS HELEN R. MURRAY, Manager of Mail Order Dept.]
[LACES, DRESS TRIMMINGS AND GLOVE DEPTS. Miss Rachel Kelley, Miss Mareta Miller, Miss Gertrude Craig, Miss Ada Henshey, Miss Ruth Kelley, Miss Rose McNellis, Miss Garnett Dreisbach, Miss Myra Fasick, Miss Mary Gerhart, Miss Julia Ellis, Miss Edith Curry, Miss Stella Metzler, Miss Mary Heacox, Miss Regina Wilkinson, Miss Agnes McCaffrey, Miss Mary Hetrick, Miss Eulalie Klise, Miss Mary Renner. MISS ANNA A. PLANK, Buyer of Gloves, Dress Trimmings, Laces, Etc. ADVERTISING DEPT. Luther K. Lotz, Joseph H. Sharer, Miss Amalia Pfeffer, Miss Amelia F. Ewing, Miss Grace Mills. H. KING McFARLANE, Advertising Manager.]
[MILLINERY DEPT. Mrs. Moorehead, Miss Madeline Hipp, Miss Adelaide Heverly, Miss Doris Wood, Miss Julia Skees, Miss Barbara Seidle, Miss Clare Eastman, Miss Helen Metz, Miss Belle Beegle, Miss Emelia Auer, Miss Marcella Heilmeier. J. E. MILLER, Buyer of Millinery. H. M. GLECK, Buyer of Women's Coats & Suits. WOMEN'S COATS AND SUITS AND ALTERATION DEPT. Miss Martha P. Hickey, Miss Ruth Willis, Miss Annie Shaffer, Miss Ellen Oatman, Miss Ada E. Brewster, Miss Ostella Garner, Miss Jessie M. Wolf, Miss Julia A. Farrell, Miss Elsie Kieswetter, Miss Laura Reaigh, Miss Madge Miller, Miss Allie Powley, Miss Eleanor McKerihan, Miss Kathryn Myers, Miss Cora Fry, Miss Emma W. Leppert, Mrs. Ida Hooper , Miss Mayno Kepner, Miss Nell Rodkey, Miss Annie Smouse, Miss Edythe B. Griffiths, Miss Mary C. Behe, Miss Margaret H. Maines, Miss Annie M. Waite, Miss Margaret Kissinger, Mrs. Lutie Sissler.]
[DEPARTMENT OF MUSLINS, SHEETINGS, BLANKETS, ETC. Miss Edith Thompson, Harry E. Bible, Miss Emma Schmelzlen, Arthur A. Reffner, Miss Mary Ryan, J. E. Skyles, Miss Mary O'Brien, Max Lykens. A. J. CARMANY, Buyer of Muslins, Blankets, Etc. J. G. HARRIS, Buyer of Art Goods, Jewelry & Silverware. SILVERWARE, JEWELRY AND ART GOODS DEPT. Miss Belle McClelland, Miss S. May Border, Miss I. Helen Westover, Miss L. Pearl Turnbaugh, Miss Margaret Brotherton, Miss Lavenia Whitfield, Miss Margaret McDonnell, E. R. Miller, Miss Nora Raugh, Miss Lillie Holt. NOTIONS AND TOILET GOODS DEPT. Miss Margaret Leader, Miss Mary McCormick, Miss Marguerite McNaight, Miss Margaret Craig, Miss Lillian Moore, Miss Grace McMullen, Miss Cora Jackson, Leo Schmidhammer, Miss Margaret Tipton. ANNIE M. HILL, Buyer of Notions & Toilet Goods.]
[UNDERWEAR AND HOSIERY DEPTS. Miss Anna Lambour, Miss Violet Worley, Miss Rebecca Armstrong, Miss Florence E. Miller, Miss Sadie Smith, Miss Margaret Tiernan, Miss Ruth Wilson, Arthur Pannebecker, Raymond Stewart, Paul Moran. WILLIAM B. PARKER, Buyer of Underwear & Hosiery. MISS ELVIA L. WAGNER, Buyer of Undermuslins & Corsets. UNDERMUSLINS AND CORSET DEPT. Miss Kathryn Pfeffer, Miss Edna Wolf, Miss Rachel McCurdy, Miss Edna Davis, Miss Emma Hufford, Miss Anna Medley. J. M. FAY, Buyer of Linens. LINEN DEPARTMENT. Miss Isabel Bice, Miss Agnes DeTemple, Miss Catharyne Lowe, J. A. Smith, Miss Meda Robb, Miss Edith Parsons, Miss Ethel Shiffler, Harry L. Miller (Assistant Buyer), Miss Bertha Russell, Miss Agnes Wilkinson.]
[DEPT. OF ACCOUNTS. Miss Margaret Miller, Miss Anna Brown, Miss Geraldine Brown, Miss Amy Brenaman, Miss Mabel Kinsel, Miss Alma Leader, Miss Helen Wertz. D. G. HURLEY, Manager, Dept. of Accounts. CASHIERS. Miss Nannie Cunningham, Miss Theresa Stehle, Miss Irene Pressell, Mrs. Julia M. Warner. MISS RACHEL SHELLENBERGER, Cashier. I. J. RIVELY, Buyer of China, Crockery, Etc. CHINA AND CROCKERY DEPARTMENT. Miss Emma C. Smith, Miss Beulah Arbogast, Mrs. Sue Bryant, Miss Mabel Helsel, Mrs. J. F. Stirk, Miss Ruth Powell, Miss Flo McCann, Miss Nellie Fawber.]
[William H. Fisher, Floor Manager; Richard J. Hall, Floor Manager; J. J. Hamilton, Floor Manager; Nellie Twitmire, in charge of Patterns; A. S. Mills, Floor Manager; Mrs. A. R. Titzel, Buyer of Pictures; Mrs. Martha M. Bradley, Picture Dept.; Elizabeth A. Koelle, Telephone Operator; Joseph F. Herbert, Display Manager; Russell R. Burchfield, Card Writer; L. Arthur Tipton, Assistant Display Mgr.
[DRESS GOODS AND SILKS DEPT. Miss Josephine Kephart, Miss Edna Koelle, Miss Naomi Gorsuch, Miss Marguerite Irwin, Miss Jane Wilson, W. J. Russell, Miss Edna Reimer, Miss Gertrude Work, F. M. Vaughn. E. S. McGAW, Buyer of Dress Goods & Silks. MISS PAULINE O. ROTH, Buyer of Infants' Wear. INFANTS' WEAR DEPARTMENT. Miss Ruth I. Henry, Miss Sarah J. Taylor. I. TRUDEAU, Buyer of Wash Goods. WASH DRESS GOODS DEPARTMENT. Miss Anna Feser, Miss Oriveda McNally, Miss Anna M. Snyder, Miss Margaret Craufurd, Miss Edna Murphy, Miss Annie R. Martz, John V. Gasdorf, Miss Anna Breslin, Miss Mary Miller.]
[MEN'S FURNISHING DEPARTMENT. Palmer Hahn, G. L. Moran, Francis Wilt, D. P. Miller, George P. Gable, John Steedman. F. B. WOODWARD, Buyer of Men's Furnishings. FRANK M. DERSTINE, Buyer of Men's & Boy's Clothing. MEN'S AND BOYS' CLOTHING DEPT. Archie Sandrus, Peter Lancia, Miss Ella Feeney, J. A. Wertzberger, W. S. Little, H. R. Kettl. JOHN S. GINGERICH, Buyer of Shoes. SHOE DEPARTMENT. Claude G. Files, D. C. Haines, H. E. Ruehr, C. L. Bollinger, Miss Myrtle Crawford, Miss Helen V. Rossman, Miss Hattie Orange.]
[BOOK AND STATIONERY DEPT. Michael A. Cerully, Miss Viola B. Cole, Miss Irene Fischer, Miss Margaret Boyles, Miss Verna H. Giarth, Miss Charlotte McIntosh. ROBERT B. GABLE, Buyer of Books & Stationery. M. T. BERRINGER, Assistant Buyer of Books. J. G. ANSPAGH, Buyer of Groceries. ARTHUR F. BRUCKMAN, Assistant Buyer of Groceries. GROCERY DEPT. Miss Minnie Parkes, Harper Price, Earl Kelley, Ralph Schroyer, Walter Reed, Miss Viola Doyle, Miss Edith Ergler, Miss Margaret Stamm, Mrs. Marie Hare, Miss Agnes Stehle, Miss Frances Haggerty, Charles Fawber, Elmo Fasic.]
[FURNITURE DEPT. Harry J. Kerlin, J. Calvin Stiles, W. C. Ferguson, Lewis N. Edwards. F. A. ROMICH, Buyer of Furniture. A. W. WEIDNER, Buyer of Carpets & Rugs. CARPET AND RUG DEPARTMENT. Joseph Thompson, T. A. Sharbaugh, Harold Riley, Miss Alma Neuhart, W. P. Gwin, Earl Lotz. MISS BLANCHE I. HAKE, Buyer of Draperies. DRAPERY DEPT. Miss Lottie Brotherton, William Huber, Philip Rudacile (Shade Maker), Miss Ruth Killinger, Miss Margaret W. Marks, Monroe Wharton, Miss Mame E. Breslin.]
[Entrance to the Photographic Studio. ROBERT B. GABLE, Manager Photographic Studio. Photographic Studio Reception Room. The Photographic Studio. CHARLES C. NEFF, Assistant Manager Photographic Studio. PHOTOGRAPHIC STUDIO. E. J. Spalding, H. W. Detrich, Roy R. Altman, A. S. Makamura, J. K. Donaldson, Miss Verna Giarth, D. M. Peck.]
[RESTAURANT EMPLOYES. Miss Ethel Steele, Miss Mary Healey, Miss Anna Flanagan, Miss Clementine Smithmyer, Mrs. Johanna Vondran, Miss Frances Schreiner, Miss Pearl Ott, Miss Helen Steele, Miss Mary Shoenfelt, Miss Jennie Dengler, Miss Lillian Young, Miss Marie Hammond, Miss Helen McFalls, Miss Kate Brunhuber, Miss Catherine Achatz, Mrs. Lena Wagner, Miss Martha Benton, Miss Helen McIntosh, J. P. Resig, Mrs. John Bath, Miss Anna Morning, Dessie Schermerhorn, Miss Regina McHugh, Miss Belle French, Miss Elizabeth Kunsman, Miss Pearl Shoff, Miss Julia Dunegan, William Glasgow, Maxwell Schroyer. LEWIS ADAMS, Manager of Restaurant. STORE MESSENGERS. Homer Replogle, Ralph McConnell, Archie Landrus, John Shute, Walter Roth, Francis Clark, James Hickey, Paul Hayward, Sidney Koch, Charles Fawber, George Grassmyer, William States, Albert Holland, Arthur Burket, John Hess, C. A. Arthur, Charles Herr, Glen Streightiff, William Fischer, George Neiman.]
[CANDY DEPT. Miss Kathryn Shiffler, Miss Ruth Powell, Spencer Orange, Miss Catherine Arthurs. MISS ANNIE M. STIFFLER, Buyer of Candies. JOHN P. BANZHOFF, Buyer of Housefurnishings. HOUSEFURNISHINGS DEPARTMENT. Miss Emma Raichle, Miss Mae Gorsuch, Russel F. Lightner, Miss Mary Embrick, Miss Esther Warner, Francis S. Clark, Harry Brumbaugh, Miss Mary Ward, Miss Mary Hanson, Miss Daisey Lathero, Miss Priscilla Byrne, E. G. Kelly, Miss Mary Lucas, Paul Mackey.]
[G. W. Cross, Fireman; Thomas I. Ernest, Shipping Clerk; D. J. Schlemmer, Assistant Shipping Clerk; Blair K. Myers, Store Mechanic; George M. Werner, Picture Frame Maker; A. A. Hildebrand, Watchman; George Sammell, Head Watchman; David Grove, Watchman; Elmer Gray, Watchman; D. A. Wyerman, Watchman.]
[Miss Mabel Brown, Matron; Albert Jackson, Porter; A. E. Carr, Porter; Mrs. Ella Jackson, Matron; Lewis Tillery, Porter; Eugene Alexander, Elevator Man.]
On March 1, 1884, the store was opened in a small room at 1300 Eleventh avenue, occupying a space of about 20x40 ft. in size. The beginning was on a very small scale, the force at that time numbering but ten or twelve salespeople, while the average department of the present store contains more goods than was shown in the entire store on Opening Day, thirty years ago.
The business soon out-grew this small room, and in the Fall of the same year the store was moved into larger quarters on Eleventh Avenue (pictured at the left) where it continued to grow at such a rapid pace, that in 1892 it was necessary to provide a new and larger home.
Preparations were completed which led to the erection of a modern three story building at 1320-22 Eleventh Avenue (pictured in the upper right hand corner). The new home was occupied December 8th, 1892, the stock of goods being moved the night before, on baggage trucks, and the new store opened the following morning without a particle of interruption to business.
At this time, there were only 42 employes - today the business requires the service of 375 to 500 employes.
This new building was the largest, most modern, and by far the best constructed building of its kind erected in Altoona up to that time.
When plans were being made for the latest addition on the Fourteenth Street side of our building, we included specifications for a new kitchen for our restaurant and determined that everything pertaining to it should be strictly sanitary as well as modern in every detail.
As a result we now have a kitchen that cannot be excelled anywhere for cleanliness and modern, up-to-date methods of preparing food. As a first means of sanitation we had the walls and ceiling cemented and then finished with a heavy coating of white enamel. The floor is what is known as a Mineral Floor which is not only strictly sanitary but is superior to cement and has a resiliency that makes it more comfortable to walk on.
A modern Sturtevant Ventilating System, operated by a 15 horse power motor, was installed and which changes the air every four minutes, the foul air being carried into a 4x4 foot stack, which extends to the roof of the building.
A modern Refrigerator with opal glass lining, the most sanitary refrigerator that can be had, is used for storing meats, vegetables, etc. It has an ice capacity of 1,000 pounds. The cooking is done on a large Range of the latest type specially made for natural gas and over which a canopy is suspended to collect all odors, which are carried direct to the ventilator. Connected with the range is a modern, natural gas Broiler.
A large, 10 foot Steam Table keeps the meats, vegetables, etc., good and hot, ready to be served to our patrons. A triple set of Coffee Urns, of the latest type, with 20 gallon capacity, heavily nickel plated, provide delicious coffee that cannot be excelled.
The Baking Oven is of the latest type and is heated by natural gas. All pastries, etc., on sale and served in the restaurant, are baked in this oven. The baking is all done under daylight, brought into the kitchen through prisms laid in the sidewalk on Fourteenth street. Three Cabinets made of galvanized iron, one of which is steam heated, provide space for storing the dishes and glasses.
Sandwiches and other prepared foods are kept in good condition in metal cabinets.
A modern Blakeslee Dish Washer enables us to wash the dishes in a thorough manner, at the rate of 4,000 pieces per hour. The dishes are placed on a rack, suspended by a chain over the washer and dropped into one tank where the water is kept in motion by an electric blower; after having been thoroughly cleansed the rack is placed in another tank of boiling water for rinsing. Thus the dishes are thoroughly washed and cleansed, without the use of dish cloths or being washed by hand. A separate table is provided for washing and polishing the glasses. All glasses used at the Soda Fountain are washed here also.
In arranging the Kitchen we made an effort to have every piece of equipment made of metal, in order to make it as sanitary as possible. Twenty-seven tungsten electric lamps make it practically as light as day. An Elevator Shaft has been provided to bring all supplies direct from the street to the kitchen and refrigerators.
With the completion of the New Kitchen and enlargement of the Dining Room, we are enabled to make our here-to-fore excellent restaurant service much better and we invite you to come and see how well prepared we are to serve you now.
Our patrons are invited to inspect our new kitchen.
A Few Historical Facts About The Store
This is the 30th Anniversary of the William F. Gable & Co., Store and on the preceding pages we have presented many interesting pictures that give you much information in regard to the store and its employes. We are now going to mention a little store history, giving facts as remembered by our store historian, William B. Parker, and which we thought would be of interest to our patrons. Mr. Parker has been with the store almost continuously since 1887.
When the new store of Gable & Co., was opened March 1, 1884, the Altoona of that time was far different from the splendid city that is here on the store's 30th Anniversary. Then it contained just about one third of its present population. Instead of its miles of well paved streets, the lone block on Eleventh avenue between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets was the only bit of paving the city could boast of. The remainder of the streets, not even excepting Eleventh avenue, were ordinary mud roads and it was no uncommon sight even on Eleventh avenue, to see wagons stalled hub deep in the mud. Instead of our present well lighted streets, there were only small gasoline lamps every here and there, which gave a very uncertain light to the pedestrian who found it necessary to be out after nightfall. There were no trolley cars at that time, simply the old horse cars which traveled a route extending from Chestnut avenue and First street to and over the Seventeenth street bridge to Eighth avenue and down to Fourth street. Instead of the excellent transportation service we now have both night and day, one often had a long wait before the means of transportation would arrive and instead of being able to go from one side of the city to the other at all hours of the night, the last chance to ride from the west to the east side was at 9.30 p. m., as the last car left the turnout at Eleventh avenue and Eleventh street at that hour.
In 1884, gas was the most up-to-date method of illumination, but there were more people using kerosene lamps than gas. In the Fall of 1886, the Edison Company, now the Penn Central Light and Power Co., established the first electric light system, although the Pennsylvania Railroad Company had been using electric light for certain portions of its plant, before that time.
By comparing the Altoona of today, about which we give much interesting data in the latter part of this booklet, with the Altoona of 30 years ago as described in the above brief sketch, one can see the wonderful advancements that have been made in this comparatively short time. But the People's Store has advanced even more rapidly, both in size and its ability to serve its ever increasing clientile with entire satisfaction to each customer. However, the one important feature of giving satisfaction with every transaction, which was the foundation stone upon which the business was started, i5 still the same today.
Thirty years ago there were but ten or twelve clerks in the little store at 1300 Eleventh avenue, today there are 375 to 500 employes according to the season. The number was gradually increased until in September, 1887, there were eighteen clerks, 2 cashiers, one floor manager and three cash boys. After 26 1/2 years there remain of this force, Miss Anna A. Plank, Miss Annie M. Hill, H. King MacFarlane, the latter having been one of the three cash boys, Jesse M. Fay and William B. Parker. At that time the cash boys attended to all messenger service in the store, such as passing customer's purchases from counter to counter, etc., delivered all of the packages and, after the store was closed, swept the floor. For delivering the goods purchased by our customers it is now necessary to provide a delivery department consisting of fourteen horses, ten wagons and sixteen employes, while it requires the services of five men working continuously from the time the store closes until it opens the next morning, to clean up the floors of the present store and get them ready for the next day's business.
When, in 1892, it was found necessary to erect a new and larger home for the store, ground was bought and a building constructed at 1320-22 Eleventh avenue. When the store was moved to its new home on the night of December 7, there were just forty-two employes to go from the old store home to the new. Of that number there are ten remaining in the store service, which is nearly 25 per cent of the entire force - a fact that is considered by many people, as being quite a compliment alike to employer and employe. In addition to those mentioned on the preceding page, the ten employes include, J. George Anspach, Miss Eleanor McKerihan, Blair K. Myers, Howard M. Fleck and Miss Cora Jackson.
At this time, 1892, the new building consisted of two floors and basement, 50x120 ft. and a third floor 50x50 ft. In 1898 a 25x120 ft. addition was made to the west of the main building; in 1900 another 25x120 ft. addition was added to the east of the main building. In 1902 another 25x120 ft. was added to the west, but the old buildings were allowed to stand and used temporarily until 1906 when a new structure was built and the third floor extended back to the alley. In 1910 a new building 50x90 ft. was added at the corner of Fourteenth street and a fourth floor extended over the entire group of buildings fronting 175 ft. on Eleventh avenue. In this same year a three story warehouse, 50x90 ft. was built on Twelfth avenue and connected to the main store by a tunnel and overhead bridge. In 1913 still another addition 30x50 ft. was added to the rear of the Fourteenth street front, giving the complete store a frontage of 175 ft. on Eleventh avenue by 120 ft. on Fourteenth street, embracing four floors and basement - practically three acres of floor space, counting warehouses, etc.
The goods we offer our patrons are gathered from every market of the world and are of the very best grades it is possible to secure. Buying, as we do, in large quantities in connection with fifteen other big stores, we secure advantage of many price concessions that mean savings for our patrons that other stores cannot offer. We have a permanent buying organization in New York City and connections in Paris and other Continental cities, which enable us to bring to our customers the new styles as soon as they appear.
The Gable & Co. "Quarter Century Club"
This unique organization was formed a few years ago and all employes, as they round out 25 years in the store's service are entitled to membership. It was established in order to show, in a marked manner the firm's appreciation of the faithfulness of those employes who by such a long term of service, show true loyalty to the store's interests. Upon the completion of 25 years in the employe of the firm, each member of the Quarter Century Club is presented with a gift of $100 in gold. The present members of the Quarter Century Club include Miss Anna A. Plank, Miss Annie M. Hill, H. King MacFarlane and Jesse M. Fay.
Brief Facts About The People's Store
There are forty-five or more Separate Departments, each a complete store in itself.
From 375 to 500 people are employed, according to the requirements of the season.
The latest model in Cable Cash Carriers, operated by electricity, is installed to transfer money to the cashiers and quickly return change to the customers. Ninety stations are in operation. Ten Delivery Wagons are required to transfer the customers' purchases to their homes in Altoona and surrounding towns.
A modern system of steam heat keeps the entire building comfortable on the coldest day of mid-winter, while the many windows and doors allow a free circulation of air to keep the summer heat to a minimum.
It is located on Eleventh avenue, just one and one-half blocks from the P. R. R. Passenger Station, and trolley lines from all parts of the city and suburbs pass its doors.
The One Price System that enables everyone to buy at the same price, is strictly enforced.
Its prices are the "Lowest East or West of the Alleghanies" - one reason why the store has grown so rapidly in the 30 years of its existence.
It is a homelike store and visitors are always welcome, regardless of whether they come to buy or simply to see the goods.
It is protected from fire by a Modern Overhead Sprinkler System that renders the entire building practically fireproof.
Is equipped with a first-class modern electric elevator.
Buying for cash and selling for cash, has, in a large measure, contributed to the wonderful success of this "Store of the People" since its inauguration, thirty years ago.
Our New Photographic Studio
It is the largest between New York and Chicago. During the daytime daylight is used to make the sittings - the sky-light being 18x11 ft., and is the largest in the city. At night tungsten and nitrogen electric lights are used - thus doing away with the undesirable flash. The dark rooms and finishing rooms are equipped with the very latest photographic apparatus; large slate sinks and tanks are used instead of the ordinary woolen ones, and the floors are all of rubber cement. The Studio equipment includes three of the largest and latest model portrait cameras, which make three sittings possible at one time.
The Commercial Photographic Department is equipped and ready to make pictures at a moment's notice - the equipment includes View, Banquet, Graflex and Cirkut cameras, and the latest smokeless flash light apparatus, so that pictures can be made "any size, any place, any time."
Thirty years ago it consisted of three cash boys and a push cart. The faithful "helpers" in the centre group see that your purchases reach your homes promptly.
[THOMAS McGOUGH, Head of Delivery Dept. DELIVERY DEPT. J. Frank Dunkle, Stanley Moore, George Burley, Malcolm Housel. DRIVERS. Regis Weakland, Earl Lykens, George Shultzberger, Paul Cherry, Ira Parsons, Roy Woessner, Ralph Creighton, George Bunn, Baker Reed, Earl Neiman, Charles Campbell.]