Gilliam Baptist Church
August 3 1986
Gilliam MO 65330
It is hard to put 100 years of "living" church history
into so few pages. The Centennial Committee surveyed records,
newspaper clippings, and talked to members in a genuine
effort to put names, dates, and other information properly
and correctly into this small booklet. If, however, there
are ommissions or errors in this publication, we humbly submit
Doris Yager - Chairperson
Rev. Glen A. Golden - Pastor
CENTENNIAL DAY SERVICE
August 3, 1986
Prelude Marilyn Morrow
Invocation Rev. Glen Golden
Special Music Gary Morrow
Welcome and Recognition
of Visiting Pastors
Presentation *Dr. Adrian Lamkin
Pastors' Address Rev. Cecil O'Neil
Rev. Morris Potter
Special Music Fish Creek Baptist
Pastors' Address Rev. Thomas Cossairt
Rev. Leonard Erickson
Pastors' Address Dr. Kenneth Wolfe
Special Music Gilliam Baptist
Pastors' Address Rev. Harold Hosler
Special Music Roy Eddy
Pastors' Address Rev. Roy Weister
*Rev. Fred Neiger
Special Music Pastors' Ensemble
Benediction *Rev. Mike Hibbard
*Dr. Adrian Lamkin is a representative of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society.
*Rev. Fred Neiger was interim pastor for Gilliam Baptist Church in 1983-84.
*Rev. Mike Hibbard, former member, was ordairied to the Gospel Ministry by Gilliam
Baptist Church on December 7, 1980.
*Due to a change in schedule, Rev. and.. Mrs. Blackwood have joined us today. They
will help lead us in worship even though their names do not appear on the program.
Dr. Kenneth Wolfe
Name From To
George Norvell 1886 1900
Orlo Jeffrey 1900 1901
J. E. Norvell 1901 1909
J. N. Wynn 1910 1912
D. C. Barton 1913
F. 0. Crimminger 1914 1916
J. W. Cunningham 1917 1918
J. H. Clark 1919 1922
R. R. Watts 1923 1925
Stanley Smith 1925 1927
`W.E. Davidson 1927
W. G. Warren 1928 1929
D. E. Johnson 1930 1934
Cecil O'Neil 1934 1937
H. H. Lewis 1937 1938
W. H. Rosecrans 1939 1943
Morris Potter 1945 1946
Thomas Cossairt 1947 1949
Leonard Erickson 1949 1950
Kenneth Wolfe 1950 1954
Harold Hosler 1954 1955
James Hatley 1955 1957
William C. Smith 1957 1960
Robert Hampton 1960 1965
Roy Weister 1966 1970
Basil Claypool 1971 1972
Michael Blackwood 1972 1983
Glen Golden 1984 -
1885 F. J. Genser
T. E. Kelley
1901 W. T. Burrough
J. W. McKinney
1903 F. H. Ellyson
1911 J. B. Huff
1917 Ed Cheatham
C. P. Huff
D. N. Norvell
1926 Henry Deis
1942 Guy Hays
1950 Manley Norvell
1957 Richard Bossaller
Roy Eddy, Sr.
1975 Jess Brandon
1975 Richard Durham
1980 Leroy Coleman
1985 Keith Broyles
March 5, 1887 - By affirmative vote of the congregation, Sunday School
was officially adopted by and became a part of Gilliam Baptist Church.
*Thomas W. Gwinn, First S.S. Superintendent
*John W. McKinney, Asst. S.S. Superintendent
*Marion A. Hawkins, Secretary
Past Sunday School Superintendents:
Clarence Dean Deis - 1962
(Ben Harold, Assistant)
Jess Brandon - 1970
Gary Morrow - 1978
Terry Jordan - 1984
Today our Sunday School has 11 classes, a Homebound ministry,
a tape ministry, and an enrollment of 175. The Sunday School is central
in OUTREACH to the unchurched and lost and is central in INREACH
to members who need spiritual education and fellowship.
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I
am with you always, even to the end of the age.
(Matthew 28:19-20 NASB)
GILLIAM BAPTIST CHURCH
1886 - 1986
A movement was started about July 1, 1885, by Reverend J. S. Conners,
of Slater, to raise money to build a Baptist church in Gilliam. There are no
particulars concerning the construction of the building, but it was completed
February 13, 1886. It was a neat frame structure and was of sufficient capacity
to accommodate the congregation at that time.
A council assembled in the new building on Sunday evening, February
14, 1886, for the purpose of organizing a church. This council consisted
of members from marshall, Slater and Good Hope churches.
Reverend Bell was chosen moderator and Reverend Norvell, clerk of the
council. The names of the members entering this body were: Thomas W.
Gwinn and wife, Fannie M. Hawkins,, Marion E. Hawkins, Annie K. Swinney,
Sarah A. Rickman, F. S. Willis, John W. McKinney, Sylvester Ankrum, Mary E.
Ankrum, T. E. Kelley, Mary E. Kelley and C. E. Brown.
Reverend Conner, who had taken such an interest in the planting of the
church was its first preacher. He filled this position for several months on Sunday
afternoons, as he was at the same time pastor at Slater.
The records show that Reverends J. S. Conner, W. W. Bell and George
Stroud all preached for the church until August, 1886, when Reverend George
Norvell was called as pastor for two Sundays each month. He was pastor of the
church until January, 1900.
On February 5, 1887, a motion was made to dedicate the church on the
first Sunday in May. Reverend Bell was invited to preach the dedication sermon.
The ladies of the Baptist Missionary Association of Saline County met
with the Gilliam Baptist women on January 26, 1894, to organize a Missionary
Society. Mrs. G. W. Norvell was elected President; Mrs. W. T. Swinney,
Vice President; Mrs. J. R. Kirk, Secretary and 'Mrs. J. W. McArvis, Treasurer.
There were 11 charter members.
The first part of 1902, the members of the church raised $1,000 for an
addition to the church. Included in this improvement was a furnace and
baptistry. Years later the church was raised from the old foundation to a
heighth of about three feet above the ground and placed on a concrete block
foundation. A full basement was dug at that time.
In 1936, the Fiftieth Anniversary of the church was observed. Reverend
Cecil O'Neal was the pastor.
On Wednesday, November 13, 1946, a series of fires, all with suspicious
origins, took place in Gilliam. The.most serious damage was the complete
destruction of the church building.
The Sunday morning following the fire the church people gathered for
Sunday School and church services in a building uptown known as the Bank
Building. During this time the attendance was above average. One time there
was a Sunday School record attendance of 107.
Work on the new church building. was started October 16, 1947. The
approximate cost was $5,000. April 16, 1949, the building had reached a stage
of completion sufficient to be used for services. One of the first special services
held was the wedding of G. F. Hayes, Jr. and Betty Glee Thompson.
Many fine gifts were received for the rebuilding and refurnishing
of the church. The most outstanding was the gift of a grand piano given
in memory of the late Theodore Bossaller. The church was dedicated on
June 14, 1953.
Around the first of November, 1977, a suggestion was made for an
Educational Building, the construction of which was approved by the
church in December, 1977, at a cost of approximately $25,000. The
building was completed in May, 1979, and on March 2, 1980, the new
Education Building was dedicated.
Financial Statement, Nov. 1, 1923
CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
Receipts from July 17, 1923 to Nov. 1, 1923 $316.25
Light Co., lights from July $6.45
0. L.Wood, Missions 15.55
Sunday School Supplies for three quarters 41.95
Overdaft July 17, from paying supplies 35.19
Rev. Watts, salary to October 1, 1923 166.66
November 1, Balance . . . . . 50.45
B. Y. P. U.
Amount in Treasury $3.92
GILLIAM BAPTIST CHURCH
Missions $102.89 $ 5,350.00
Personnel $276.75 $14,391.00
Education $ 34.61 $ 1,800.00
General Promotion $ 19.22 $ 1,000.00
Building & Equipment $125.34 $ 6,517.00
Miscellaneous $ 24.13 $ 1,255.00
TOTALS $582.93 $31,213.00