Nodaway County Missouri. Deaths in Hopkins Journal, Hopkins, Missouri 1881

   Copyright. All rights reserved.
   This file was contributed for use in the USGenWeb
   Archives by: ©  Pat Combs O'Dell    <>

[This newspaper has been in a fire and parts of it are gone. It is not always possible to determine the issue date other than 1881]

Mr and Mrs Cornelius Hull mourn the loss of a bright little child, aged ten months, which died on Tuesday night, of pneumonia.[January 29, 1881 Saturday]

Mr Clayton Potter received a telegram on Monday evening from Dr and Mrs Ira B. Connett, located at Atchison, announcing the serious illness of their infant child. It was not expected to live at last accounts.

A infant child of Mr and Mrs Spencer died on Sunday last.

J.C. Schofield, a brakeman on the Nodaway branch of the K.C. road [railroad], was thrown from the cars and killed just above the state line Monday night. It seems that a loose wheel was found on one of the cars, and while they were stopping the train Schofield attempted to jump from one car to another and fell between the two. The wheels passed over him, killing him almost instantly. Schofield was quite well known on the road, going by the nick name of "Frenchy."

On Thursday last Mr S. McFarland was summoned to Newton, Kansas, to visit his brother who is lying very ill.

Mr Samuel McFarland returned home on last Saturday morning from Newton, Kansas, where he had been in attendance upon the death bed of his brother, Mr Andrew B. McFarland. Mr McFarland arrived at Newton on Saturday, the 12th inst., and found his brother quite low but able to talk. The disease was originally one of the kidneys, but had latterly run into typhoid fever. The patient rallied on Sunday, and on Monday and Tuesday seemed somewhat better, but on Tuesday afternoon he grew worse and from that time on continued to sink, until about twleve o'clock on Thursday night, the 17th inst., when he died. He was buried on Saturday. The deceased formerly lived in Independence township, in this county and afterwards moved to Pickering. He left Pickering for Kansas about three years ago. He was about 51 years of age and leaves a wife and four small children to mourn his loss. He was a kind and indulgent father, an affectionate husband and an estimable citizen, and his death will be regretted by all who knew him. Since his decease, Mr Samuel McFarland and a half sister are all that remain of a family of ten brothers and sisters.

[much of this obituary was burned away] Died. At her residence in Hopkins, Mo., on the 21st of February, 1881, of typhoid fever and inflammation of the bowels, Mrs Mary Dawes, wife of Dr G.A. Dawes, after being confined to her bed about ten days. She had been suffering from a cold for some time but considered herself in no danger until her final sickness. Mrs Dawes was born in New York City, March 1st, 1844. When about six years of age her father, Mr Videll, removed to Wisconsin, where she grew to womanhood. She was married to Dr Dawes January 10th, 1866, near Ft Scott, Kansas, [missing text] year after going to that State. In 1869 she went to Wisconsin again, and there remained until she came to Hopkins in May, 1875. Her kind and gentle manner has won the esteem and love of all who knew her. All regret her untimely death and feel the greatest sympathy for the doctor in his bereavaement and sore distress. She leaves [missing text] -ldren, a little girl of twelve and [missing text] ten years to mourn her loss. [missing text] a loving mother, a faithful [missing text] a true and generous friend. had no terror for her. Having...dogma and supersition...light, she awaited with...the hour of her departure.....children about her, and....good, and grow up to ....and noble men and ....made them and her husband....and closed her eyes....everlasting sleep.

Last week Sheriff Lincoln, of Andrew county, at the instance of the friends and relatives of the late Royal Riggin, went to the grave of the deceased at Fillmore, accompanied by a number of well-known citizens of Andrew county, and disinterred the body. The remains were in a good state of preservation and were readily identified by those present. This will, of course, set at rest the report that the coffin contained nothing but sand. The grave had not been disturbed since the funeral.

A little child of Mr and Mrs Cary Derrickson died on Monday morning the 28th ult., of a low grade of fever.

Died, on Monday evening, the 28th ult., of heart disease, Mary Patt, daughter of Mr and Mrs John Patt, aged about fourteen years. The funeral took place at the cemetery on the following Wednesday.

A young man named Healt, aged twenty-three, and residing near Blanchard committed suicide last week because his step-sister would not marry him. He went over the river by the arsenic route.

Died, on Wednesday the 16th inst. at the residence of her brother, four miles north of Hopkins, The---- Helmer, aged twenty-four....deceased ...[article mostly burned away]...

Mrs Rebecca M. Myers, aged eight-six, and a resident of Nodaway county since 1841, died on the 20th of March. The deceased was a native of Virginia and by reason of her husband's service during the war of 1812, was in receipt of a government pension.

Gen B.F. Loan, of St Joseph [Missouri], died on Wednesday of last week, of appoplexy. [April 9, 1881]

On Sunday evening, the 27th ult., Clara Owens, a little daughter of John Owens, of Green township, aged nine years, was burned so badly that she died next morning. The children of the family had gone up stairs to bed but had not immediately retired. While playing in the room Clara's dress caught fire with the sad result about given. The parents were so distracted by the event that they nearly allowed the house to burn down.

A little girl named May Shade, aged about seven years, was burned to death at Maryville on Tuesday of last week. The children had an out-door fire and the little girl was about to throw an apron full of leaves on it when her clothing caught fire. Mr Fred Shade ran to her and wrapping his coat around her, succeeded in smothering the flames, but she was already so badly burned that she died in a few hours.

Mr S. McFarland has received a letter from Miss Victoria Downing, of Canton, Ill., stating that Mrs Susie Taff, who formerly resided in this city, died in Fulton county, Ill., on the 20th of February last, after an illness of about three weeks.

Mr S.H. Butcher, the father of Mr S.J. Butcher, of Burlington Junction, died recently at his residence in Lineville, Iowa. Mr S.J. Butcher went to his old home to attend the funeral, returning week before last. [April 23, 1881]

A traveler named Arthur Simpson, having a ticket for Chicago, died on Thursday, the 14th inst., on a Pullman car between Kansas City and Cameron. His remains were taken charge of by the city authorities of Cameron.[April 23, 1881]

Mr Fred Bowman returned home on Saturday last from Grant City well pleased with the town. It is yet uncertain whether he will remove thither. Mr Harmon Lowrey, who accompanied him, went from Grant City to Fort Madison, Iowa, to attend the funeral of his sister-in-law, Mrs G.W. Redman, of whose death he was notified by telegraph. [April 23, 1881]

On Friday last Mr John Redman received a telegram announcing the death of the wife of his son, Mr G.W. Redman, of Fort Madison, Iowa. Mr Redman's health is such that it would not permit him to go to Fort Madison to attend the funeral.[April 23, 1881]

Speaking of two recent deaths which were notable in Northwest Missouri, the Holt County Paper says: Elder Wyatt, of St Joseph, stood at General Loan's grave a few days ago and said, "all my old friends whom I met in St Joseph in 1845 have gone but one. I may be the next." And he was the next. On Saturday last he died very suddenly. He was the father of the Christian church there.[April 23, 1881]

Died, on Saturday morning, the 23d inst., Emma Bugbee, daughter of Mr and Mrs O.E. Bugbee, aged about twenty-three years. The funeral took place on Sunday. [April 30, 1881]

A distressing affair occurred on Sunday evening the 17th inst., near Oxford, in the southwestern part of Worth county. Three young men, named respectively Samuel Harris, Jr., Henry McAtee and Robert McCord, engaged in a fight, in which McAtee struck McCord with a wagon hammer over the left eye, crushing the skull. The young man lived until last Thursday night, when death ended his suffering. McAtee and Harris are in the custody of the sheriff, to await the action of the grand jury, which is in session this week.[April 30, 1881]

Obituary. Emily F. Bugbee was born in Warren county, Illinois, August 1st, 1860, and with her parents, emigrated to Missouri in 1874, settling about four miles south of Hopkins where she died April 11, 1881. She was sick for four months prior to her death, with lung disease and while she suffered much, she was patient and resigned to the will of her Heavenly Father, willing to suffer as well as to do his will.She became a member of the United Brethren church about three years ago...[more to this but no data]..[May 7, 1881]

Dr Jacob Howendobler, a well known physician who has resided at Maryville for the past eleven years, died on the 23d ult.

Mrs David Malott, formerly of this city, died at Maryville on Saturday last and the remains were brought here for interment on Sunday. The deceased was about twenty-eight years of age. The funeral services took place at two o'clock on Sunday at the M.E. church, the sermon being delivered by Rev Leenhouse. The attendance was unusually large. [May 14, 1881]

Rev R.M. Simmons, of Hopkins, was in this city Saturday on his way to Blanchard, Iowa, where he preached on Sunday last the funeral services of Mrs Nancy Dean. Rev Simmons is one of the most prominent citizens of Hopkins, being president of the school board of that place, and is also one of the most substantial farmers of Nodaway county, he and his sons Julius and James owning 840 acres of land in the northeast part of the county, 600 acres of which is under cultivation. - Nodaway Democrat.

Died, on Wednesday, the 18th inst., at two o'clock pm, at the residence of Mr Charles H. Potter, five miles southeast of Hopkins, Hattie Scheidecker, of lung disease. The deceased came west with her sister, Miss Martha Scheidecker, from Somonauk, Ill., about a year ago in search of health, and has since been a member of Mr Potter's family. Last week when it became evident that the end was near, a message was sent to the friends of the deceased in Illinois, and on Friday her sisters, Mrs Banzet and Mrs Supers arrived to bid her farewell. The remains were taken home to Somonauk for interment, on Thursday evening, and were accompanied by Miss Martha Scheidecker, Mrs Banzet and Mrs Supers. [May 21, 1881]

On last Saturday morning at four o'clock, the pure spirit of Mrs Jennie Malott quit its earthly tenement, and passed into the spirit world, there to dwell until the resurrection morn, when with outstretched arms it will greet the coming of the loved ones left behind. Mrs M was the wife of D.P. Malott. She was twenty-five years old at the time of her death. She had been married five years, and was the mother of three children, all small and helpless. Mrs M was a consistent christian, and a member of the M.E. church. Her pastor called a few hours before her death, and in answer to his question if she was ready to go, answered, "it it is the Lord's will, I am ready." She was buried on Sunday in the Hopkins cemetery, the funeral services being conducted by Rev John Moorhead, pastor of the M.E. church. To the heartbroken husband we extend our sympathies. - Maryville Republican.

Mrs A. Davis, who went to Kent, Iowa, on Tuesday morning, has written to Mr Dave Derrickson to the effect that Mrs Cary Derrickson died on Friday last, of small-pox, at Creston, and Cary is now in the pest house in that city, ill with the same disease. If this be so, and we see no reason at present to doubt it, we greatly fear that Cary's chances of life are small, inasmuch as no patient has ever yet left the Creston pest house alive, so far as we have heard. For some reason the experience at Creston has been that to go to the hospital means to die. Mr Derrickson and his family removed from this city about two months ago and he has been employed, we believe, at the round house in that city.

Mrs John F. Baublitts, of Graham, was thrown from a wagon last week while on her way to Maryville, and was instantly killed.

Calvin Waters, of Andrew county, was struck by lightning last week and instantly killed. A man named Cobb, who was with him, was knocked senseless but will recover. A sad feature in the case is that Waters was a very poor man and his widow and six small children will, for the present at least, be obliged to find refuge at the Poor Farm of the county.

A SAD DEATH. On last Sunday Mrs William Thomas, of Independence township, returned with her children from Sunday School, and feeling unwell determined to take a dose of quinine. The quinine was in a bottle which was kept locked in a trunk with other medicines, so that the children might not get at them. In the trunk there was also a small bottle of strychnine. Mrs Thomas took from the trunk what she supposed to be the bottle of quinine and swalled a large dose from it. She had no sooner done so than she realized that she had mistaken the bottles and had taken strychnine instead of quinine. Nearly frantic, she awakened her husband who had been sick for several weeks and who was then sleeping on the bed. He at once gave her such remedies as were at hand, and then mounting a horse, rode to Gaynor City, about two miles and a half distant, for Dr B.F. Goodson. The doctor was absent visiting a patient and Mr Thomas followed him and after some unavoidable delay found him. The two hastened to the dying woman's bedside, but the interval that had elapsed had given the poison time to do its fatal work and their efforts were unavailing. Death ensued a little after noon. The deceased leaves a family of three small children, the oldest being a boy of not more than eight years of age. The sad event has cast a gloom over the entire community and every heart is moved by the touching spectacle of the bereaved husband and the motherless children who have been so suddenly and so deeply afflicted.

A little child of Mr and Mrs Curt Brainard, aged about eighteen months, died on Sunday, the 3d inst., of cholera infantum. The funeral took place on Sunday evening.

Died, on Thursday, the 30th ult., the infant child of Mr and Mrs Ira Smith, of cholera infantum. [July 9, 1881]

Mrs Martin Rahn died very suddenly at her residence near Buchanan on the 4th. Her husband and two sons went to Bedford to attend the celebration, but during the forenoon the husband seemed to have a presentiment of impending evil and told the boys that he would return and stay with the mother. On reaching home he found his wife complaining of not feeling well. She got dinner, however, and while her husband sat down to eat she said she would lie down on the bed and rest. When Mr Rahn had finished dinner he went to the bed and found that his wife was dead. The family has lived here about a year and formerly resided at Galesburg, Illinois.

A little child of Mr and Mrs Abe Nichols died on Tuesday morning of cholera infantum, aged about two years. The funeral took place on Tuesday evening at five o'clock, from the Presbyterian church.