County was formed in 1845 from Scotland County
Knox County was named after General
Henry Knox of Revolutionary War fame and the first Secretary of War under
George Washington. The area was first part of Scotland County but by 1843
was populated enough to become a county and became so in 1845.
Upon the organization, at
the first session of the county court, in April 1845, the county was divided
into four municipal townships, Benton Center, Fabius and Salt River.
Two additional townships
were formed before 1860, according to the Goddspeed history (pages 741 and
742). Greensburg Township (Congressional Township 63, Range 13 west) was
orgainzed May 3, 1859. Jeddo Township (Congressional Township 61, Range 10
West) was orgainzed in October 1859.