Annie Wiley
and her
Obituary Scrapbook

Page 20

Mrs. D. J. Howard at Rest

Mrs. Annette Willis Howard, 45, postmaster of Versailles, wife of Judge David J. Howard, died about 7 o'clock Saturday night at the Good Samaritan hospital in Lexington. She underwent an operation at the Woodford Memorial hospital four weeks ago last Friday. Two weeks later Mrs. Howard was removed to her home. She was taken to Lexington hospital July 4.

Mrs. Howard, a daughter of the late Dr. and Mrs. Robert L. Willis, of Lexington, was born in that city August 8, 1895. She was educated in the Lexington public schools and at Hamilton College, where she was a member of the Tri Delta sorority, and attended the Lexington College of Music.

She had lived in Versailles ever since her marriage to Judge Howard on December 2, 1913. She was a member of the Methodist church and of the church choir; a member of the Woodford County Woman's Club, the Study Club and a charter member of the former Woodford County Choral Club. A great lover of music and possessing a beautiful soprano voice, Mrs. Howard for many years had given of her time and talent unstintedly in singing at community entertainments and in the choirs of other churches besides her own.

Mrs. Howard took an active interest in civic and political affairs and in December, 1936, she was elected vice chairman of the Woodford County Democratic Executive Committee. After holding that position for more than three years, she resigned when she became postmaster.

Mrs. Howard was appointed postmaster of Versailles by President Roosevelt, upon the recommendation of Senator A. B. Chandler, and took charge of the postoffice May 16, 1940. She made an excellent record for efficiency during her short term of 14 months in office.

She is survived by her husband, one sister, Mr. J. O. Van Meter, of Jackson, Ky., and one brother, Robert L. Willis, of Detroit and Washington, D.C.

Mrs. Howard possessed a rare and charming personality. She was a loyal friend and had a very large circle of friends. She was thoughtful of others and delighted in acts of kindness. She greeted with a smile everyone with whom she came in contact. She showed splendid courage in her illness. At this time, when the world is so clouded with anxiety and sorrow, it is especially sad to lose one who had the spirit always to smile and the constant desire to give happiness to others.

Funeral services at the Methodist church at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon were conducted by the pastor, the Rev. A. G. Stone, and the Rev. M. P. McClure, of Harrodsburg, a former pastor of the church. The church auditorium and vestibule were crowded and many friends who came were unable to get into the church. Floral tributes were banked high in the choir space and on both sides of the chancel and also were in the windows.

Pallbearers were Senator A. B. Chandler, Dr. Paul L. Garrett, James N. Fisher, E. A. Davis, Gentry McCauley, W. Henry Graddy, W. E. Congleton and D. H. Thomas. The interment took place in the Versailles Cemetery.

Business houses were closed during the funeral. The flay on the postoffice building hung at half mast. [picture included]

 Versailles Cemetery, Woodford County, Versailles, Ky
Annette Willis Howard, 1895-1941
David J. Howard, 1889-1955

Brenda Jo Howard

Versailles, Ky., July 19 (Special)--Funeral services for Brenda Jo Howard, 10 month-old daughter of Douglas and Adeline Blackburn Howard of 1209 South Second street, Louisville, will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday at the home of a great-aunt, Mrs. Dawson Allen, on Montgomery avenue in this city. Dr. John G. Dickson, pastor of the Versailles Baptist church, will officiate and burial will be in the Versailles Cemetery. The child is a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ira Blackburn of Versailles and of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Howard of Lexington.

 Versailles Cemetery, Woodford County, Versailles Ky
Brenda Jo Howard died July 18, 1941

Bridegroom Drops Dead At His Wedding

New York, June 20--Nineteen year-old Evelyn Schoenfeld bore the grief of a widow today, completely upset by the death of Harold Landy in her arms, as a rabbi was intoning words that would have made them man and wife.

The excitement of marrying the girl of his dreams overlaxed Harold's heart and caused his death while 200 wedding guests awaited climax of the ceremony.

Happily they marched before the rabbi. As the ceremony began, Evelyn and her 21 year-old husband-to-be exchanged smiles. Then Harold dropped suddenly to the floor. Evelyn sank to her knees at his side as the wedding guests screamed. Several doctors in the gathering tried to revive him but the spark of life ebbed while the bride's tears dampened his pale features.

Three Killed and Two Injured As Crack Train
Strikes Motor At Grade Crossing in Fayette

Two Fayette countians were killed outright today, a third injured fatally and the two others were hurt seriously when the George Washington, crack passenger train of the C. and O. Railroad, struck an automobile at the Walnut Hill crossing in Fayette.

The dead are Isham Rodes Stipp, 62, Winchester-pike farmer, his wife, Mrs. Bessie Thomas Stipp, 55, and his brother, Greenberry Stipp, 53, who live on the farm with Mr. and Mrs. Stipp. The injured, taken to the Good Samaritan hospital, were listed as Jesse Parseall, 20, and Ernest McCann, 16, Negroes, both of Uttingertown. They suffered multiple lacerations and bruises, but it was believed they would recover.

The engineer, W. H. Meadows, East High street and Oldham avenue, reported the train's whistle was blowing and its bell ringing as it approached the crossing, which is six miles from Lexington. The driver of the car, thought to have been Mrs. Rodes Stipp, apparently misjudged the speed of the train and attempted to cross in front of it, the engineer said.

The fast-moving train stuck the vehicle, a four-door sedan, broad-side, knocking it approximately 100 feet along the right of way. The sedan, which turned over several times, came to a halt right-side up, but its occupants were knocked from it by the impact of the crash. Wreckage of the vehicle was strewn along the tracks for 200 feet.

Stipp died immediately of a fractured skull and other injuries. His wife was decapitated, it was reported. The bodies, along with the injured, were brought to the Union station here by the train, which arrived 45 minutes late. Greenberry Stipp died of a skull fracture at 10:55 a.m. at the hospital.

The Stipps, whose farm is not far from the crossing, were returning to it with the two Negroes, workers on the farm, county patrolmen said. The accident occurred at 7:17 a.m. The automobile, which was demolished, was brought to Lexington.

W. C. Shackelford, Walnut-Hill pike farmer, who lives within sight of the crossing, said he was near a window of his home when he heard the train whistle blow. He looked out the window, he said, and saw the engine plow into the sedan. He went to the wreck scene and aided in placing the dead and injured on the train, he said.

County Patrolmen Charles B. Fentress, John Doyle and Gilbert Cravens were dispatched to the scene and ordered the car brought to Lexington.

Mr. and Mrs. Stipp are survived by three sons, George Stipp of Versailles; Edward Stipp of Lexington, and Foster Stipp of Midway. Mrs. Stipp was a daughter of Alonzo and Mary THomas. Besides her sons, she is survived by three brothers, George Thomas, Ludlow; Dudley Thomas, Cincinnati, and Homer Thomas, Louisville and one sister, Mrs. Ora Chaney, Cincinnati.

Besides his children, Isham Rodes Stipp is survived by his father, Joseph F. Stipp; one brother, J. E. Stipp, of Fayette county; one sister, Mrs. Mary Stewart of North Middletown, and six grandchildren.

Greenberry Stipp, a widower, besides his brother, sister and father, is survived by one son, Clyde Stipp of Winchester, and one daughter, Mrs. Mary Ruth Snapp of Winchester. The brothers and Mrs. Stipp were natives of this section. The bodies were removed to the C. A. Baker funeral home.

The Lexington-Leader, Lexington, Ky, December 29, 1939.

 Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Ky
Isham Rodes Stipp, 31 Oct 1877-29 Dec 1939

Bessie Stipp, 13 Feb 1884-29 Dec 1939

Joseph Foster Stipp, 04 Sep 1848-10 Jul 1940

 Calvary Cemetery, Lexington, Ky
Alonzo Thomas 02 Nov 1857-01 Apr 1930
(Father of Bessie Stipp)

Joseph Foster Stipp, 04 Sep 1848-10 Jul 1940 [Father]

[Note: Thanks to Leah Montgomery for submitting the burial information on the Stipp family.]

Miss Ahring Dies

Miss Emma Ahring, former superintendent of the Woodford Memorial hospital, died Thursday morning in Louisville, according to word received here today by friends.

Miss Ahring was a native of Santa Claus, Ind., and was a Spanish-American War nurse. She was head of the local hospital from 1916 to 1936. Survivors are a sister and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon in Louisville with burial in the Rest Haven cemetery, there.

Death Comes to U. K. Girl In Car Wreck

Versailles, Ky., Nov. 28 (Special)--Miss Anne Douglas McCown, 20, University of Kentucky senior and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. McCown of the McCracken pike, Woodford county, was killed about 2 o'clock this morning when a car in which she and three other University students were enroute to Jacksonville, Fla., overturned on a curve near Hawkinsville, Ga.

Miss McCown's three companions suffered only minor bruises and shock. They were listed as Miss Allison Hearne of Princeton; Charles Nuckols Jr. of Midway, and Wiley Bennett of Orlando, Fla.

Members of Miss McCown's family stated today that the group left Lexington Thursday afternoon and was planning to visit friends at Jacksonville.

A press dispatch from Hawkinsville quoted State Trooper R. I. Crawford as saying that the car turned over several times after failing to make a curve. The officer stated that her companion gave Miss McCown's address as the Chi Omega house, Lexington.

Miss McCown would have graduated from the University next June. She was enrolled in the College of Agriculture, seeking a major in animal husbandry. She was a member of Chi Omega, and was treasurer of the University chapter of the sorority; a member of Block and Bridle, animal husbandry honorary fraternity; Alma Magna Mater and the 240 Club at the University. She attended schools at Lexington and Frankfort and graduated from Margaret Hall school at Versailles before entering the University.

Survivors include her parents, THomas C. and Marie Louise Kellogg McCown; a sister, Marie Louise McCown, who is a student at Eastern Teachers College at Richmond; the paternal grandfather, Albert K. McCown, Woodford county, and the maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. M. C. Kellogg, Richmond.

The body will be taken to the Kellogg residence at Richmond. Funeral services will be conducted at the grave in the Richmond cemetery at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon.

McGuire Rites Set For Friday

Funeral services for Henry S. McGuire, 57, Lexington attorney, who died at 8 o'clock Wednesday night at the Good Samaritan hospital, will be held at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon at the Redding-McCarney funeral home, 800 East Main Street. The Rev. W. E. Sweeney, pastor of the Broadway Christian church, will officiate, assisted by Dr. J. Archer Gray, pastor of Everybody's church. Burial will be in the Lexington cemetery.

Mr. McGuire's death followed an illness and a major operation to which he submitted Nov. 13. For the past few days no hope had been held for his recovery. The body today was removed from the funeral home to the residence at 148 Ransom avenue.

Mr. McGuire had been retained as an attorney for Robert Anderson of Louisville, one of three men under indictment in the Lexington County Club slaying of Marion Miley, nationally known golf star, and her mother, Mrs. Elsie Ego Miley. Trial of the men has been set for Dec. 8.

Mr. McGuire had been a practicing attorney in Lexington for the past 15 years, having moved here from Winchester. Prior to becoming engaged in private practice he served for three years as assistant United States prosecuting attorney.

Prominent in the REpublican party, Mr. McGuire took an active part in the conventions and campaigns in this locality. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Masonic Blue Lodge, was a Knights Templar and a Shriner. He was a member of the Broadway Christian church.

After attending rural schools in his native county and the Beattyville high school, Mr. McGuire enrolled for a two-year course at Sue Bennett Memorial school at London, Ky. This was followed by study at Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va., until his junior year, when he transferred to the University of Louisville, where he was graduated in 1907.

He started private practice in Beattyville, but three days after opening his office he was elected city attorney, and continued to serve in that office until elected county attorney, an office in which he served four years.

In November, 1918, Mr. McGuire moved to Winchester where he practiced for five years.

A son of the late Archibald B. and Helen M. Treadway McGuire, he was born in Booneville, Owsley county, Oct. 5, 1883. His father was a prominent farmer and merchant in Lee and Owsley counties and served as county clerk and clerk of the court.

Mr. McGuire's survivors include his wife, Mrs. Lola G. Moran McGuire; one son, Henry S. McGuire, Jr., assistant bacteriologist at the University of Kentucky, and four brothers, Scott T. McGuire, Berea; William McGuire, Lewisville, Ind; John McGuire, Newcastle, Ind., and C. B. McGuire, Louisville. [picture included]

 Lexington Cemetery, Fayette County, Lexington, Ky
Henry S. Mcguire, 05 Oct 1883-26 Nov 1941

Two Sisters Die In River, Bodies Found

Nicholasville, Ky., July 4 (Special)--Double funeral services will be held at the Buyn and Kurtz funeral home at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon for two sisters--Mary Margaret Cook, 16, and Imogene Cook, 13--who drowned about 3 o'clock Thursday afternoon in the Kentucky River near Brooklyn Bridge. The Rev. J. T. Stallings of the Nicholasville Baptist church will officiate and burial will be in the Maple Grove cemetery.

The deaths brought to three the number of young persons drowned in the muddy waters of the river within 24 hours. Jack Delon Spencer, 15, of Lexington, drowned late Wednesday afternoon while swimming near Clifton.

The two girls, both unable to swim, drowned when the younger waded into deep water and her sister leaped from a boat in response to her cries for help. Both sank from sight about 100 yards down-stream from the bridge and about 30 yards from where their brother and two other people were swimming.

The three swimmers--Neal Cook, 11; Mrs. Myrtle Fain, about 35, and her daughter, Charlene Cliff Fain, 10--were unable to reach the victims before the latter disappeared below the surface.

John Drury, 21, and his brother, Otis, 14, ran from their home a short distance from the river and dived several times in an attempt to locate the bodies.

Jessamine County Sheriff Everett Dean stated that Mrs. Thomas Houp and Mrs. Lula Drury also witnessed the tragedy. The women were seated on the porch of the Drury home at the time.

The body of the older girl was taken from the river about 5 o'clock by Clay Horn, one of the 15 volunteers who dragged the stream with grappling hooks. The other body was recovered two hours later by Andrew (Peck) Corman of Jessamine county, another member of the volunteer crew. Both bodies were found near the same spot, about 30 feet from the Jessamine county shore near where they disappeared. Mary Margaret was a student at Wilmore high school and would have been a member of the next year's graduating class. Her sister was an eighth grade pupil at the Wilmore school.

Besides their parents, survivors include three sisters, Misses Evelyn, Jessie and Georgia Cook, the latter a floor supervisor at the Good Samaritan hospital at Lexington; six brothers, William, Elza, Neal, Clark, Calvin and Logan Cook, and their grandmother, Mrs. E. L. Lowry, all of Nicholasville.

The bodies were removed to the Guyn and Kurtz funeral home.

Mrs, Beulah A Franks