Annie Wiley
and her
Obituary Scrapbook

Page 18

Postmaster At Berea Dies Of Heart Attack

Berea, May 22 (Special)--James Edgar Moore, 59, Berea postmaster since 1934, died suddenly of a heart attack at 11:15 o'clock Wednesday night at his home here. A native of Madison county, he was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. James J. Moore.

Mr. Moore was also a part-owner of the Porter-Moore drugstore here. He was a Mason, a member of the Union church and active in the affairs of the Kentucky Chapter of Postmasters.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Pauline Moore, who was visiting in Philadelphia at the time of his death; two daughters, Mrs. Jane Moore Cloud, Winston-Salem, N. C., and Mrs. Ann Moore McAfee, Columbus, Ohio.

Funeral arrangements had not been made today.

S/Sgt. Henry Grayson Killed In Action

Mr. and Mrs. Grant Grayson, Sr. of the Versailles pike have received word from the War Department that their son, S/Sgt. Henry (Tommie) Grayson, 22, was killed in action on Nov. 21 while serving with the Seventh Army in the European theater. Sergeant Grayson entered the Army in April, 1943, and after receiving infantry training at Camp Wolters, Texas, went overseas in July, 1944.

He was graduated from Lafayette high school in 1904 and attended the University of Kentucky, where he was a junior in the College of Agriculture at the time he entered the service. He was a member of the South Elkhorn Baptist church.

Besides his parents, he is survived by a brother, Pfc. Grant Grayson Jr., who now is in England; a sister, Mrs. Thomas M. Williams Jr., his maternal grandmother, Mrs. Effie Sutton; his paternal grandfather, Mrs. H. D. Grayson, and other relatives. [picture included]

Car Plunges Into Water, Three Killed, Two Hurt

Automobile Driven by L. Sanders Hunter of Versailles Leaves Bridge In Scott County. The Dead: Mrs. T. Vernon Forman, 46 years old, of 417 west Third street, Lexington; Mrs. Irvin Railey, of Childers Terrace, Versailles; Mrs. Roland H. Razor of Versailles.

The Injured: Miss Agnes Railey, 18, years old, daughter of Mrs. Irvin Railey, of Versailles, cut on forehead, bruises and nervous shock; L. S. Hunter, 60 years old, of Versailles, driver of the automobile, cut over eye.

Three persons were killed and two others injured when the automobile of L. Sanders Hunter, of Versailles, a prominent farmer, left a bridge at Little Eagle creek, 11 miles from Georgetown, on the Cincinnati-Georgetown road, and plunged into the water below shortly after 9 o'clock Tuesday night. The party was returning home from Cincinnati, where they has spent the day. The accident occurred as a result of the left front wheel of Mr. Hunter's automobile flying off.

According to the story of Mr. Hunter, driver of the car, who early this morning went to his home at Versailles suffering from nervous shock; he was descending a steep hill at a moderate rate of speed. The car cleared a low railing of the bridge in a bound over the side to the creek below, a distance of 25 or 30 feet. The machine overturned, pinning its occupants in the water. Mr. Hunter said he worked his way out, and calling the name of each of his guests in turn, received only an answer from Miss Railey. She was pinned under the car and was barely able to hold her head out of water. The bodies of the three victims were water-soaked.

Mr. Hunter secured help at the home of Mrs. George Vallandingham, 11 miles from Georgetown and four from Sadieville, and in a short time the victims were lifted from the creek bed. The injured persons and the bodies of the dead were first taken to the Vallandingham home and later removed to Georgetown.

Mr. Hunter telephoned his brother A. C. Hunter, of Versailles, vice president and cashier of the bank of J. Amsden & Co., who, with Horace Nuckols, brother of Mr. Hunter's dead wife, left at once for the scene of the accident. T. Vernon Forman, of Lexington, Frank McKee, of Versailles, husband and brother, respectively, of Mrs. Betty McKee Forman, were notified promptly and went to the scene. Mrs. Forman's body was brought to Lexington to the John Milward Funeral Home.

Mrs. Forman suffered a broken neck and fractured skull, an examination showed. No body injuries or bruises were sustained. The body was removed to the home on west Third street this morning.

The bodies of Mrs. Railey and Miss Razor were taken from Georgetown to Versailles by D. R. Duell, Versailles undertaker, and prepared for burial. Examination of Mrs. Railey's body showed a number of cuts, abrasions and bruises and marks of a heavy blow on the skull that is believed to have caused her death. Her body was removed to her home on Childers Terrace this morning.

Miss Razor's body, taken to her parents' home on Lexington street shortly after 7 o'clock this morning, shows few bruises. The skull was fractured, with cuts on the neck and arms.

Roland Razor, father of the girl victim, and Dr. A. S. Alexander, of Versailles also went to the place of tragedy.

Miss Agnes Railey was brought to St. Joseph's hospital, where she is suffering from nervous shock and exhaustion. She received a deep cut on the forehead.

Miss Railey, in telling of the accident, said that she, her friend, Miss Razor; her mother and Mr. Hunter left Versailles early Tuesday morning for Cincinnati. She went to see a specialist in regard to an injured finger that had caused her considerable trouble, necessitating discontinuance of her music work. Miss Railey is an accomplished pianist, having studied the past two years in New Orleans.

Miss Razor was excused from school at Versailles, where she is a student in the seventh grade, for the day so she could consult an eye specialist in Cincinnati.

At Lexington they were joined by Mrs. Forman, a cousin of Mrs. Railey, who went to Cincinnati to see her only daughter, Agnes Forman, 15, a student at the Sacred Heart Academy, and to consult an eye specialist.

En route to Cincinnati the wheel that caused the fatal accident came off. Mr. Hunter had it replaced at a country garage, driving on to Cincinnati. They proceeded with caution and at a moderate rate of speed. In Cincinnati an expert mechanic examined the wheel and declared it to be safe. The party left Cincinnati about 6 o'clock on the journey home.

Miss Railey, Mrs. Forman and Miss Razor were in the rear seat of the automobile--a chummy sports model touring car--with Mr. Hunter driving and Mrs. Railey on the front seat, when the accident happened.

Miss Railey said the first she knew of the trouble was hearing her mother scream. The next thing she remembers was when she was lying face down in the waters of the creek. Miss Railey managed to get her head above water and hear Mr. Hunter call her name. She answered and pushed her hand thru the curtain of the car to show him where she was. Mr. Hunter seized her hand and pulled her clear of the machine.

Mr. Hunter himself was pinned beneath the car, but managed to free himself immediately. When Miss Railey had been cleared of the wreckage, Mr. Hunter went to the aid of the others, calling them each by name, but there was no response.

Examination of the bodies indicate death from injuries received in the accident and not by drowning.

Continuing her story, Miss Railey said men came from a neighboring farm to render aid. She was taken to a farmhouse nearby, given dry clothing and warmth.

The machine was practically demolished. People who visited the scene of the accident remarked on the coincidence that the driver and one person on the rear seat escaped with only slight injuries, while another in the front and two on the rear seat were killed.

Miss Railey remained at the hospital today, suffering from shock and exhaustion. Following the accident, Miss Railey maintained remarkable composure, insisting that she be allowed to go home, where they had taken her mother.

Miss Railey, who was Miss Victoria Morancy, was twice married. Her first husband died a number of years ago, leaving one daughter, Miss Evelyn Gray, who became the wife of Robert Perkins, of Farmingham, Mass. The victim's second husband, Irvin Railey, prominent farmer and horse breeder of Woodford county, died several years ago. Mis Agnes is a daughter of this marriage.

Mrs. Railey, with her daughter, moved to Versailles several years ago, following the completion of her new home in Childers Terrace. Mrs. Railey represented one of leading families of central Kentucky, was of charming personality and gracious bearing. She was an active leader in Versailles church and civic work, a member of St. Leo's Catholic church. Mrs. H. P. Morancy, of Versailles, is her sister.

Miss Lillian Razor was the second daughter and child of Mr. and Mrs. Roland Razor. Of bright, happy disposition, she had made many friends in Versailles, following the coming of her family from the country to Versailles several years ago. She was in the seventh grade at the Versailles grade school, was an active worker in the Versailles Baptist church and was to take part in a class meeting of her Sunday school today. Besides her parents, she is survived by one sister, Christine, who last year attended the University high school at Lexington. Miss Razor had been making trips frequently to Cincinnati to consult eye specialists.

Mrs. Morancy and her daughter, Mrs. Mark Godman, of Versailles, notified Tuesday night of the accident, went to Mrs. Railey's home to await the return of the accident victims.

Mrs. T. Vernon Forman, wife of a prominent Lexington insurance man was the daughter of Mrs. Agnes McKee and the late Dr. John McKee of Woodford county. She possessed striking personality and charm. Besides her husband and one daughter, Agnes, she is survived by her mother, three brothers, Dr. Emelius McKee, Lexington physician; Frank McKee, of Versailles, farmer, stock breeder and leader in State cooperative work; Dr. James McKee, resident at the McKee stock farm near Versailles, and one sister, Mrs. Agnes McKee Gilbert, wife of Dr. John Gilbert, of Lawrenceburg. Mrs. Forman was a cousin of Mrs. Railey and Mrs. Morancy, of Versailles.

Miss Agnes Forman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. Vernon Forman, arrived in Lexington this morning from Cincinnati. She was met at the train by her father and her aunt, Mrs. Charles S. Brent.

 Versailles Cemetery, Versailles, Ky
Victoire Morancy Railey, 1868-1924

Irvin Railey, 1853-1919

Lillian Razor, 1909-1924

Agnes Morancy Railey, 1906-1926

Harrison Man's Slayer Sought
Body Found Near Licking River Bank

Cynthiana, October 23 (Special)--Police of Harrison, Pendleton and other Kentucky counties tonight were pressing their search for the slayer of Reynolds H. Herrington, 28, Harrison county farmer, Sunday school teacher and prominent 4-H Club worker, whose battered body was found early this morning near a river bank in Pendleton county.

Cynthiana officers had been advised tonight that Herrington's car, stolen from the scene of the slaying, had been found on a street in Newport where the killer apparently had abandoned it.

Fingerprints which it was hoped would be helpful in solving the case were taken from the car, officers here were advised.

Herrington's body, with the head crushed and one arm fractured and bearing what appeared to be bullet wounds, was found about 7 o'clock this morning by his father, J. W. Herrington, wealthy Cynthiana farmer, who joined the search after he had been advised by his son's father-in-law, the Rev. S. R. Mann of Butler, that the younger Herrington was missing.

Herrington and his bride of eight months, the former Miss Hilda Mann of Butler, went to Butler yesterday to visit Mrs. Herrington's parents, and Herrington went fishing in Licking river, nearby.

When he failed to return late in the afternoon, Mr. Mann and other members of the family instituted a search and notified Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Herrington late last night of their son's disappearance. Mr. Herrington then joined the search.

When found, the body was about midway in a 100-foot strip of land between the river and the road on which Herrington's car had been parked. His pockets were turned inside out and his car keys were missing, but one trousers pocket contained $6.11, disputing the theory that robbery was the motive for the slaying. His watch also was found.

A blood-stained club and blood-stained rocks were found near the body, Pendleton county officers reported. Tracks where the car had been parked indicated that the auto had been driven away rapidly, the spinning wheels leaving deep ruts in the soft ground.

The victim of the slaying was a graduate of the Buena Vista high school in this county and had been prominent in 4-H Club work throughout the county. He lived in the Wagners Chapel section.

Besides his parents and wife, he is survived by a sister, Mrs. Joe Shields of Hillsboro, Ohio.

The body was removed to a funeral home at Butler pending completion of funeral arrangements.

Mrs, Beulah A Franks