Annie Wiley
and her
Obituary Scrapbook

Page 16

Dr. William Lewis Elmore

Dr. William Lewis Elmore, 84, died Sunday morning at his home on the Grassy Spring pike, in this county. Dr. Elmore was a native of Fayette county and for more than 30 years practiced medicine in Lexington. At one time he was a physician at the Eastern Kentucky State Hospital. He had lived in Woodford county for about 20 years. His only immediate survivor is his wife, Mrs. Allie Hawkins Elmore. He was an upright man of broad intelligence, known by his many personal associates as a friendly, amiable and congenial companion.

Funeral services were held at the grave in the Frankfort cemetery yesterday at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Charles W. Grant, pastor of the First Methodist church of Frankfort. Pall-bearers were John Wilson Townsend, of Lexington; Oscar W. Elmore, Frank Watts, Alexander L. Edwards, Gene Wilson and Owen Canty.

 Frankfort Cemetery, Franklin County, Kentucky
William Lewis Elmore, 30 Jan 1856-11 Jan 1942
Allie Hawkins Elmore, 18 Mar 1879-13 Jul 1966

Harvey Wells Killed In Raid On Hawaii

Belated word of the death in the Pearl Harbor bombing of Harvey Anthony Wells, 24, ship-fitter in the U.S. Navy, was received in a letter by three brothers and two sisters here yesterday from the victim's wife, Mrs. Geanne Wells, San Gabriel, Calif.

Mrs. Wells, who received the official notice, said no details had been given her in the official telegram other than the fact he had been given temporary burial at the place of his death.

Mr. Wells is a native of Clarkson, Ky. His mother, Mrs. Gertrude Wells Higdon, Clarkson, also was notified by a letter from Mrs. Wells. The surviving brothers here are Charles Wells, Wilbur Wells, and William Lee Wells, and the sisters are Mrs. Floy Taylor and Mrs. Leslie Carman. Another brother, Eugene Wells, lives at Clarkson.

Mr. Wells enlisted July 19, 1935, and re-enlisted two years ago. It was the first word his Kentucky relatives had heard of him for several months. [picture included]

Boy Afraid To Jump Dies in Blazing House

Philadelphia, Jan. 1--Twelve-year-old John Dey, Jr. burned to death at a second story window of his blazing home today because he was afraid to jump into a blanket held by four pleading men on the ground. The boy, his mother, father and two-year-old brother were trapped as they slept. The mother and the father jumped to safety, the mother with the baby in her arms. All were injured seriously.

Versailles Aviation Cadet Dies In Air Crash
At Oklahoma Base Last Week

Funeral services were held at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon for Aviation Cadet Milton Owen Elliston Jr., 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. Milton Elliston, Sr., 257 Montgomery avenue. It was said that the services were attended by one of the largest assemblies of its kind ever witnessed in Versailles.

Details of the accident which resulted in the death of Cadet Elliston and his instructor are, as in all such cases, very meager. Little information concerning such accidents can be gotten from the Army Air Forces. As both Cadet Elliston and the instructor were killed in the crash, no one remains alive to tell just how the fatal accident developed.

Cadet Elliston had been at Mustang Field, El Reno, Oklahoma only about three weeks. He had been transferred to that training field from San Antonio, Texas, after completing his basic training as an aviation cadet at Keesler Field, Miss., and at the University of Alabama. At Mustang Field he was training as a pilot in the Army Air Forces.

Cadet Elliston's body arrived in Lexington Friday night, accompanied by a member of the Army Air Forces training personnel. It was taken in charge by the Burdin-Sullivan Funeral Home, of Frankfort, and brought to the Elliston home on Montgomery avenue in this city.

The deceased cadet was a graduate of the Versailles High school and a former member of the Versailles football team. After his graduation from high school, he attended Transylvania College for two years, where he was a member of the football team and of the Phi Kappa Alpha Fraternity. He enlisted in the Army Fir Forces in January of this year.

Cadet Elliston is survived by his wife, Mrs. Lois Harrod Elliston, of Frankfort; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Elliston Sr., of Versailles; a sister, Mr. Floyd B. Roberts, of Ashland; his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Owen Sr., Woodford county; a niece, Mary Margaret Roberts, Ashland; two aunts, Mrs. Forest Yocum, Louisville, and Miss Mary Owen, Woodford county, and two uncles, H. A. Owen Jr., Woodford county, and D. G. Owen, Versailles.

Casket bearers included Jimmy Jackson, Leslie Blackburn, Madison Duncan, Tillie Dunn, Dr. J. M. Adkins, Owen Range, Robert J. Baker and Ben Hackney. [picture included}

Lt. Wilson Died In Plane Crash
Which Killed 10 Young Fliers

Lieut. Cecil F. Wilson, 23, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Wilson of Nonesuch community didn't get overseas to join in actual combat with his buddies of the United States Army Air Forces against the Japanese, but he will be forever remembered as one of the heros of World War II.

He was killed in a plane crash Wednesday night, July 28 at Biggs Field, El Paso, Texas on the eve of his departure for combat duty. Lieut. Wilson received his silver wings and commission as a bombadier-navigater in the Army Air Forces January 23, 1943 at Williams Field, Chandler, Arizona. From that time until his death last week he received training at Biggs Field, preparatory to being with other members of his crew to one of the battle fronts.

A telegram was received early Thursday morning by Lieut. Wilson's father, informing him of the death of his son. The telegram was brief and gave no particulars relating to the plane crash which cost Lieut. Wilson his life.

"Deeply regret to inform you of the accidental death of 2nd Lieut. Cecil E. Wilson," the telegram read. "Lieut. Wilson was killed in an airplane crash on a routine training flight at approximately 7 p.m. July 28 in the vicinity of Biggs Field, El Paso, Texas."

The message requested instructions relative to shipment of Lieut. Wilson's body. His father, with the assistance of D. R. Duell, local undertaker, requested that the body be shipped to Versailles. It was expected to arrive Monday night and funeral services were set for 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the Clover Bottom Baptist church.

Funeral services were conducted by Dr. D. L. Hargrove, of Louisville, and the Rev. J. D. Arbuckle, pastor of the Troy Presbyterian church. Burial was in the Versailles Cemetery.

Besides his parents Lieut. Wilson is survived by seven sisters, Misses Mary Wilson, Betty Jo Wilson, Helen Wilson, Dorothy Wilson and Mrs. Oakley Reynolds, all of Woodford county; Mrs. Andrew Hillard, Lexington, and Mrs. William Highland, Williamsburg; and four brothers, Espy and Phillip Wilson, both of Woodford county; Tommy Wilson, of Franklin county, and Roy F. Wilson, who has been serving in the U. S. Navy for five years.

The deceased flier entered training in March 1941 at Santa Ana, California. After receiving his wings and commission he spent a short leave with his family before resuming training. His father stated this week that he was supposed to go overseas the last of July but his departure has been deferred until August 10. [picture included]

Mrs, Beulah A Franks