|Cypress Creek Cemetery, Union Co., KY |
Cypress Creek Cemetery is located on US 60, just outside of Sturgis, directly across the road from Pythian Ridge Cemetery. According to the sign, Cypress Creek Christian Church Cemetery was erected 1839. Nearby is Cypress Creek, from which it gets it's name.
I visited this cemetery on 20 June 2002. After viewing names in photos, I find that we *may* have two cemeteries here or else they were combined. According to Mr. Peyton Heady's transcription, Cypress Creek Cemetery is five miles south of Morganfield on US 60 and another cemetery, Delany Cemetery is located 1 1/2 miles north of Sturgis. Yet the photos I took, contain names of people who are listed under Delany Cemetery and names of people listed under Cypress Creek. The first photos numbered 1 - 18 (1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc...) are found under his listing of Delaney Cemetery.
Any info that anyone has about either cemetery, is much needed and welcomed. Any old photos of the cemeteries or stones from years past, or of the church, would be welcomed. There are several unreadable stones, and if you can help me figure out who it is for, I will gladly add that info. Email me at Maria Troutman.
View 1 of the Cemetery
Broken Stones, 1 - 2 - 3)
3 large (grave size) unmarked stones
3 large (grave size) unmarked stones  (back side of Bishop fenced plot)(can be seen in the background of bottom photo here)
Unknown   (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7)
Unknown, located in the woods
Unknown, lg. stone located in the woods
Unknown, lg. stone at back of cemetery against woods
Unknown, (view 1 & 2)
Unknown, possibly a Hansbrough
M.P.B., (footstone only)
Barrett, Alexander   (1 Jan 1844 - 5 Feb 1869)(age 25yr 1m 5dy)(also this view)
Barttela, Daniel   (Jan 1822 - 1856)(last name is questionable)(also view 1 & 2)
Bean, Benjamin D.   (14 Mar 1804 - 6 Oct 1844)
Berry, Judson H.   (25 Nov 1786 - 20 July 1855)(Born in Charles Co., MD)(also this view)
Bishop, Fielding   (d. 18 July 1860)(age abt 32yr)(also this view)
Bishop, Mary M.   (24 Dec 1842 - 27 Aug 1864)(wife of Wm. H.)(daug of W. H. & M. Jones)(she has 2 stones side by side)
Bishop, Pernal   (d. 18 Nov 1855)(age abt 30yr)(also this view)
Bishop, William H.   (10 Dec 1821 - 14 Sept 1889)
Bohannon, ____ P.   (b. 1787 - broken)(also this view)
Boston, Jesse T.   (18 Jan 1836 - 20 Nov 1896)(my dates are very questionable)(also this view)
(per P. Heady's listing - 13 June 1834 - 20 Jan 1876)
- Catlett, A. J.   (1825 - 8 June 1882)(also view 1 & 2)
- Catlett, Joseph   (see view 1 & 2)(first name is very questionable)
- Catlett, M. J.   (14 July 1837 - 23 Apr 1900)(wife of A. J.)(also view 1 & 2)
- Catlett, Sophronia   (d. 1852)(age 44yr)(also this view)
- Conn, Coxen   (aged about 68yrs)(also this view)
- Conn, David O.   (Oct 1818 - underground)(also this view)(per P. Heady's listing - 21 Oct 1818 - 29 Oct 1864)
- Conn, J. Sue   (17 Nov 1833 - 10 June 1882)(age 48y 6mo 23dy)(also this view)
- Conn, Melissa   (13 Aug 1827 - 10 Nov 1857)(age 30y 6m 27dy)(wife of David O.)(also view 1 & 2)
- HSD  (footstone w/initials, possibly for H. S. Dodge?)
- Delany, E. J.   (1 June 1860 - 4 Feb 1867)(child of H. & E. J.)(also this view)
- Delany, Elizabeth (d. 11 Sept 1886)
- Delany, Henry   (5 Aug 1827 - June 18__)(also this view)
- Delany, Infant   (17 May 1863 - 26 Aug 1863)(daug of ____)(also this view)
- Delany, John M.   (7 Aug 1825 - 7 July 1902)(also this view)
- Delany, Priscilla   (30 Aug 1858 - 21 Mar 1892)(daug of M. & E. J.)(also view 1 & 2)
- Delany, Sarah   (27 Feb 1862 - 8 Mar 1886)(daug of H. & E.)(also this view)
- Delany, Unknown   (Oct 1864 - 24 Sept 18__)(child of H. & E. J.)(next to E.J.)(also this view)
Kelly, Matilda W.   (6 May 1808 - 11 July 1872)(also this view)
- Hall, Elizabeth  (17 Aug 1815 - 16 June 1894)(also this view)
- Hansbrough, Adaline A.   (broken stone)
- Hansbrough, Francis A.   (23 Feb 1839 - 7 July 1858)
- Hansbrough, Marianne  (28 June 1820 - 23 Mar 1855)
- Hansbrough, Mary   (d. 1851)(date questionable)
- Hathawood, Clifton H.   (1900 - 1903)(age 2yr 6m 15dy)(also this view)
(per P. Heady's listing for Lifton H. Leatherson 21 Aug 1900 - 6 Mar 1903)
- Herndon, Mungo R.   (21 Jan 1804 - 15 sept 1856)(also view 1 & 2)
- Herndon, Thomas   (27 Feb 1865 - 27 Oct 1867)(son of Z. C. & T. A.)(also this view)
- Holman, D.   (21 Jan 1868 - 26 Dec 1870)
- Hopkins, T. L., MD   (2 June 1848 - 14 Mar 1882)(Born in Rockingham Co., NC - Died in Union Co., KY)(also this view)
- Hopkins, Thomas H. (5 Oct 1816 - 15 July 1858)
- Hopkins, Mary A. Smith (27 feb 1818 - 5 Feb 1894)(wife Thos)
- Jeffres, Thomas B.   (son of B. W. & M. A.)(dates broken)
- Jobe, A. C.   (29 Apr 1819 - 14 NOv 1851)(also this view)
- Jobe, F. A. C.   (2 May 1804 - 15 Oct 1851)(also this view)
- Jobe, Julia Ann  (15 Mar 1815 - 30 Aug 1877)(wife of James)
- Jobe, Mollie   (29 Sept 18__ - underground)(daug of S. V. & Adaline)(also view 1 & 2)
(per P. Heady's listing - 29 Sept 1863 - 5 May 1865)
- Jones, Delilah A.   (daug of W. H. & M.)(per P. Heady's listing - 13 Feb 1845 - 8 Oct 1853)
- Jones, Enoch   (2 Feb 1806 - 18 Sept 1862)
- Jones, John H.   (unreadable dates)(per P. Heady's listing - 23 Aug 1829 - 19 Oct 1861)
- Jones, Madaline   (14 Dec 1814 - overgrown)(also this view)
- Jones, Mary   (30 Aug 1802 - 6 Oct 1877)(wife of Enoch)
- Jones, Unknown  (in the Jones fenced in plot)
Reynolds, Green   (d. 7 July 1881)(age 25yr)(son of Mitchell & E. S.)(also view 1 & 2)
Reynolds, Mitchell   (also this view)(per P. Heady's listing - d. Mar. 15, 1866 age 55yr)
Reynolds, Nancy   (17 Sept 1807 - 3 Oct 1864)(wife of Greenberry)
Reynolds, William C.   (1828 - 1854)(b. Spencer Co., Ky - d. Baton Rouge, La?)(also view 1 & 2)
- Lindle, Infant   (b. & d. Apr 1862)(son of E. M. & S. L.)(also this view)
- Lindle, Nancy E.   (21 Oct 1853 - 3 Dec 1858)(daug of J. J. & H. H.)(also this view)
- Lindle, Thomas   (20 June 1865 - 30 June 1869)(son of E. M. & S. L.)(also this view)
- O'Nan, Elisha   (27 Sept 1816 - 29 Dec 1852)(age 44yr 3m 2dy)(also this view)
- O'Nan, Matilda   (June 1807 - 29 Apr 1869)(wife of Elisha)(also this view)
- Outten, Priscilla P   (2 Feb 1782 - )(wife of W.)(also view 1 - 2)
- Querry, Thomas P.   (22 Mar 1797 - 11 Apr 1844)
(per P. Heady's listing - 29 Apr 1828 - 9 May 1854)
Robertson, Wm. T.   (3 July 1835 - 21 Nov 1886)
These names are found in Mr. Peyton Heady's listing for Delaney Cemetery & for Cypress Creek Cemetery, however, I did not find
- Shouse, Sarah B.   (d. 18 Jan 1878)(age 5days)(daug of D. N. & H. B.)(also this view)
- Shouse, Sarah L.   (d. 14 June 1876)(age 39yr 5m 18dy)(also this view)
- Slaughter, John William   (9 June 1789 - 23 June 1866)(CPL 8 REGT KY MTD VIOL MIL, WAR OF 1812)(also this view)
- Slaughter, Ruth   (23 Dec 1802 - 31 May 1886)(wife of J. W.)(also this view)
- Smallwood, Cloe   (Has departed this life May 6, 1851 in the 65th year of her life)
- Smallwood, Elizabeth   (age 80)(also view 1 & 2)
- Smith, James B.  (5 Oct 1808 - Apr 1843)(Born in Sussex Co., Del)(also this view)
- Thompson, Ma__ _ (dates unreadable)(also this view)
(per P. Heady's listing - 6 May 1824 - 10 Sept 1844 - Mary Thompson)
- Underwood, Joseph M.   (21 Nov 1827 - 9 June 1851)(also this view)
- Wallace, Mary F.   (14 June 1836 - 27 Jan 1861)(wife of Robert B.)
- Watson, Lou R.   (30 Juen 1853 - 19 Apr 1886)(also this view)
- Whitecotton, Nancy   (10 Nov 1797 - 7 July 1857)(wife of G. W.)
- Whitecotton, William C.   (29 July 1835 - 11 Aug 1861)(son of G. W. & H.)
a tombstone for them. Due to copyright, I am only listing their names below.
Barfield, Daniel M
Barfield, M. M.
Bishop, Mary B., daug of Fielding & Mary J.
Buckman, Priscella Ann
Buckner, Martha, wife of W. S.
Buckner, W. S.
Certain, Viole, daug of J. W. & Mary
Davis, H. C.
Delaney, W. O., son of H. & E. J.
Dodge, Harvy S.
Duncan, William, son of Louis & Ann Davis??
Hopkins, Thomas H.
January, Peter C.
Jones, Roy W.
Jones, Susan M., wife of G. W.
Jones, William H.
Whitecotton, G. W.
Last Updated on 6:05 PM 4/4/2004
By Maria Troutman
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free
information on the Internet, data may be
freely used by non-commercial
entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These
electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other
presentation. Commercial entities
must ask for and receive permission
from submitter before downloading.
Contributed by Mr. James Blue & Claudette Hope
Date 24 Jan 2002
Some Photos submitted by Steve M. and Maria T.