(established prior to 1900)
Crittenden Co, KY
Contributed by: Brenda J. Jerome, email@example.com
- BELLS MINES CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- There has been a C.P. church in this area in northern Crittenden Co, near the
Union Co line, since the early 1800's. In 1849 Jeremiah Wilson deeded one acre
to be used for "a baring ground and church for all demoninations." In 1865 the
foundation was laid, but the church was not completed until 1885 and was
dedicated 1891. Services are still conducted 1-2 times per month. Cemetery
adjoining has tombstones dated prior to the Civil War.
- CALDWELL SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
- Organized in 1844 by members of New Bethel Baptist Church (Lyon Co, KY). The
current building is the 4th to house the church. Services are conducted
- CAVE SPRINGS GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
- The first church in this community was built in the early part of the 18th
century. Located about 11 miles east of Marion. This is a very active
church. No cemetery adjoining.
- CHAPEL HILL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- Organized as part of Bethany Church in 1803 (see Crooked Creek and First United
Presbyterian). The old church building was torn down in the spring of 1996.
Cemetery adjoining the church site is still maintained.
- CHRISTIAN CHURCH
- Began in Marion in 1874. Its founder was a Bro. Dimmitt. Disbanded in the
but reorganized in 1944.
- CRAYNE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- Organized 1893 at Crayneville (now Crayne), KY and is an offspring of Piney
Fork C.P. Church. This church continues to conduct services.
- CRAYNE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- According to the session books of Piney Fork Church, Crayne Church was
a C.P. church in 1892 by members of Piney Fork Church. First records being
- CROOKED CREEK MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
- Located about 2 miles north of Marion at a spot where "the old log church," or
Bethany was first organized by the Presbyterians. In 1835, the site was sold to
the Baptists. Very active church. The present building was dedicated in the
early 1870's. Adjoining cemetery has many old, beautiful tombstones. A number
of tombstones are in the woods and not visible from the driveway.
- DEER CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
- The first building was erected in 1823. The present building was built in
The old church minutes are still in existence. This church is still active.
Cemetery adjoining has many old tombstones.
- DUNN SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
- No early records. Believed to have been organized in the home of John S.
Fowler in 1844. Present building erected in 1885. Small membership.
- DYCUSBURG UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Organized in 1857. The church was built on lot #7 at the corner of Commerce and
Spring Sts. in Dycusburg. The present building was dedicated in 1948.
- EMMAUS BAPTIST CHURCH
- First building was on Claylick Creek in 1895.
- ENON GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
- Located in northern Crittenden Co. Organized 1847 by Jacob Holeman, Caswell
Mason & Ludwell Brackett. Services still conducted today.
- FREEDOM GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
- Organized 1853. Land for the church building was deeded to the trustees by
Moore. The present building is the 4th one. Cemetery adjoining the church.
- FIRST UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- This church grew out of brush arbor services held in 1803 at Dickey Springs, 3
miles east of Marion by Presbyterian minister, William Dickey. In 1805 he built
Bethany Church (the Old Log Church; see Crooked Creek). In 1842 when the
Marion was laid off, a tract of land was granted to the church. The church then
located at the corner of Gum and Moore.
- GREENS CHAPEL CHURCH
- Disbanded some years ago. Located in Bells Mines Community. Cemetery adjoins
former site of the church and is still used and maintained.
- HURRICANE METHODIST CHURCH
- Land for the church was obtained from early Crittenden Co settler,
Richard Minner about 1843. The current building was constructed in 1920.
Camp meetings have been held in an outdoor tabernacle at this location since
1889. Beautiful old, but well maintained, cemetery adjoins the church.
- MARION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1869. The current building
was erected in 1911-1912. Very active church today.
- MT. PLEASANT CHURCH (black)
- Formerly located in the Bells Mines community by freed slaves after the Civil
War. Disbanded, but a cemetery is located high on a bluff near the approximate
area of the church.
- Mt. ZION CHURCH
- Disbanded some years ago. A Masonic Hall was located above the church. The
church steps are still visible. Early members were the Bristow, Lucas, Heath
families. Cemetery still maintained and used.
- NEW UNION GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH (DITNEY)
- No early records available. The first building is said to have been a log
near or at the site of Old Ditney School. The original tract was deeded by
Dalton in 1870. Cemetery adjoining church.
- PINEY FORK CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- JOHN TRAVIS and others of the Bethany congregation organized Piney Fork
Church - the
first Cumberland church in Kentucky. Rev. Finis Ewing completed the
in early 1812 and was the first pastor. Many people of this area named children
Finis E. after this early minister. Camp meetings were held from 1812 until
Beautiful location with cemetery adjoining. Tradition has it that the last
battle in this area was fought at the location of the cemetery.
- PLEASANT GROVE GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
- Located about 5 miles north of Salem, Livingston Co, KY, but in Crittenden Co.
Exact date of first building unknown. This is the "home church" of the Croft
family and their names are found on many of the tombstones in the adjoining
- PLEASANT HILL REGULAR BAPTIST CHURCH
- Located about 2 miles east of Marion and organized in 1853, mainly by settlers
from Smith Co, TN. The first pastor was Paul L.H. Walker, who served for 33
- REPTON BAPTIST CHURCH
- Organized in 1888. First deacons were J.C. Brown & J.M. McChesney with W.R.
Gibbs as the first pastor. Services still conducted.
- ROSEBUD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Located on land donated by Ira Nunn, about 10 mi. north of Marion; year
Present building erected in 1956. Cemetery adjoinings church.
- SEVEN SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
- Located southern part of Crittenden Co. Date of organization unknown, but well
- SHADY GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH
- Organized 1844 as Clear Spring U.B. Church. In 1921 the church changed its name
to Shady Grove Baptist. The present building constructed in 1922. Cemetery
- SILOAM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- In 1843 William Hickman deeded land to the trustees of a newly organized
Siloam. A log church was used at this location until 1879. The church records
begin in 1886.
- SUGAR GROVE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- Organized 1840 by Rev. William C. Love. A log cabin was built on Phillips
Branch of Piney Creek in a grove of large sugar maples near a spring. Camp
meetings were held here. A new church was built in 1884 about 3/4 mi. N.W.
of the old church. Current building erected 1954.
- SULPHUR SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
- Formerly known as Cookseyville Church. Organized 1851. Membero of Little River
Association until 1883, when the Ohio River Association was formed.
- TYNER'S CHAPEL
- Organized ca 1880 on two acres of land located on Sandy Creek and Clay Lick
Creek donated by Thomas R. and Martha E. TYNER to the trustees of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South:Thomas R. TYNER; Richard SHERRIL; C.R. STEVENS; F.M.
BINKLEY; William TYNER, James (Wesley) GRIMES.
- UNION BAPTIST CHURCH
- Organized 1810 as an offsprig of Old Salem Baptist Church. Church records begin
1835. Current building erected 1965. Wonderful, old tombstones grace the
- USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free
information on the Internet, data may be freely used by non-commercial
entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These
electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other
- Nancy Trice, firstname.lastname@example.org