This old jail was built in 1843. There was probably one before this one since the county was established in 1822.
The Knoxville Jail was built in 1888. The first sheriff to use the jail was B. A. Hartley.
It is now a museum.
Open March through November
First weekend of each month
Saturday - 10 am to 12 noon
Sunday - 3 - 5 pm
Call the Historical Society at 478-836-5753 for more information.
This is on the National Register of Historical Sites.
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, this photograph may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. This image may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this image for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.
This file was contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by: Ed Gordon
Return to the Crawford County, Georgia Digital Library